Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- ALO The Continental Last post on 11/25/13 at 2:13pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- FIRST DEDICATED HEADPHONE RIG Last post on 3/19/11 at 8:30am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- WOO WA22 with LCD-2, Grado1000i, HD800, GradoRS1i Last post on 3/12/11 at 5:27pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Solid State Vet Wants To Try Tubes For The HD 800 and T1!! Last post on 4/8/12 at 8:25pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amp for Grado Rs1i(probably hd650 or hd800 or LCD2 in the future) Last post on 12/8/10 at 6:55pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/4/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 1/18/16
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
MEE audio M6 Pro Quick Review by mark2410 Thanks to MEE audio for the sample Full review here http://www.head-fi.org/t/806529/mee-audio-m6-pro-review-by-mark2410 Brief: A bargain...
Intro – There are many gadgets that are desirable but not practical; gadgets that are briefly enjoyed then forgotten over time. The RM1 is a very interesting product from Fiio that is quite the...
THIS IS MY FIRST REVIEW I bought this pair of earphones as a cheap alternative for my broken phone earphones. Once I bought it, I never heard of the brand SoundMagic before yet, and doubted the...
Introduction I recently participated in the OPPO PM-1 loaner program -- many thanks to Chris and the folks at OPPO for providing this wonderful opportunity! I was able to demo the PM-1 headphones...
The Head-Fi website is a place for many good things related to headphones, amplifiers, Digital Audio Players (DAPS), and many more items. Manufacturers will often promote their new items on the...
DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions - Page 110post #1636 of 27493/31/14 at 6:14am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #1637 of 27493/31/14 at 8:47amQuote:Originally Posted by sensui123
Those in the picture are the flavor of the week (I like to switch up tubes here and there), just typical RCA 2A3 curved grey plates. I have listened to the amp with the Sylvania flat plate 2A3s and that is a very good match. Very resolved upper range and a clean midrange. So far the amp has responded well to all the NOS tubes I've thrown @ it. Dubstep Girl seems to have done the most research on the rectifier tubes and wrote up a comprehensive review.....very helpful. I happened to jump on her sale quick enough when she said she was selling her U52 Marconi....it's been a blast so far. I don't have any Sophia Princess tubes.....actually I've heard so much about Shuguang Natural Sound tubes from all the reviews here so those are the only modern production tubes I have....everything else I run = NOS (Sylvania Springtops, Sylvania Flat Plates, RCA round plates black/grey, Ken-Rads etc).
Finally joining you guys in rocking out on the Stratus, the wait was way worth it. GS-X is next on the list, should be any day now.....I think I'm calling it quits on the amp rolling for awhile after that one unless I step into electrostatics lol.
I think the dual plate 2A3s from RCA and Sylvania add more color if that is what you are after. In terms of tubes i have tried, it's hard to beat the balance and neutrality of the EML hard plates, unless you have AVVT meshplates.post #1638 of 27494/1/14 at 3:00pm
Just as a matter of interest - has anyone heard the BHSE/009 and DNA/HD800 side by side for a lengthy period of time and come out preferring the DNA/HD800?post #1639 of 27494/1/14 at 4:05pmQuote:
Yeah a lot of you guys recommend the EML stuff. I think I'll pick em up to try down the line.....I do really love the Shuguang Natural sound though as a modern production tube. So lush and refined/detailed at the same time. Great combo with the HD800.post #1640 of 27494/1/14 at 5:26pmQuote:
They are a tube i would also be willing to try, lovely looking 2a3. They look really nice with the EML 5U4G
Edited by magiccabbage - 4/2/14 at 6:36ampost #1641 of 27494/2/14 at 6:36ampost #1642 of 27494/6/14 at 4:58pmpost #1643 of 27494/6/14 at 5:19pmQuote:Originally Posted by drheadphone
A video of the Sylvania dual flat-plate 2A3's on the Stratus with the LCD3 hooked up...
I'm putting this 2A3 tube up for sale on eBay along with a pair of gray S-plates (which sound nicer than the black plates, IMO).
could you please make another video showing different angles of the Stratus - please? Maybe stepping back to give an idea of size?post #1644 of 27494/6/14 at 5:22pmpost #1645 of 27494/10/14 at 7:01ampost #1646 of 27494/10/14 at 7:08ampost #1647 of 27494/10/14 at 9:38am
congrats and do bombard this thread with pics when it comes. There is no where near enough pics to satisfy me.
Third_eye - you hold first prize for best pic in this thread. you should take more and cure my ailments until my stratus arrives.post #1648 of 27494/10/14 at 9:44amQuote:
Thanks! I'll try and take some more pics!post #1649 of 27494/10/14 at 10:14am
cheers - good stuff. Can the stratus be used with a pre-amp? There is is another good reason for taking pics - maybe some pics of the back. I would like to try my WA2 as a pre-amp with the stratus if possible when it comes. There might be a clash of tubes and it might not work at all but it could be worth a go.post #1650 of 27494/10/14 at 12:24pmQuote:Originally Posted by magiccabbage
cheers - good stuff. Can the stratus be used with a pre-amp? There is is another good reason for taking pics - maybe some pics of the back. I would like to try my WA2 as a pre-amp with the stratus if possible when it comes. There might be a clash of tubes and it might not work at all but it could be worth a go.
If you have no luck here, i would PM Donald. I am far from being qualified to answer your question, but to my simple mind, the less things in the signal path the better. Just my 2 cents. I wonder if anyone has a different perspective.
- DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Review: RIVA S - High Performance Mobile Speaker just now
- › The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread 29 seconds ago
- › XMOS XU208 USB BRIDGES - THE LATEST GEN HAS ARRIVED! 1 minute ago
- › Cowon Plenue D 1 minute ago
- › Luxury and Precision - Crowdfunding Promotion on the L3 Digital... 1 minute ago
- › Amp for havi b3 pro 1 1 minute ago
- › Meat-fi 2 minutes ago
- › MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar... 2 minutes ago
- › Introducing the Matrix M-Stage HPA-3U and HPA-3B, review to follow! 2 minutes ago
- › Looking for small headphones for home/office environment around 50$ 3 minutes ago
- › MEElectronics M6 PRO Universal-Fit Noise-Isolating Musician’s... by mark2410
- › FiiO RM1 Bluetooth Remote Controller by ryanjsoo
- › SoundMAGIC ES18 In-Ear Headphones (Black/Red) by d3f4ul7
- › OPPO PM-1 by Sophonax
- › Edifier P275 Noise-Isolating In-Ear Monitor Earphones - Black by ngoshawk
- › Creative Labs X-Fi Titanium HD PCI-E by RockeyDA
- › Campfire Audio Orion by cleg
- › Philips SHG7980 PC Gaming Headset With Adjustable Microphone by Triquatra
- › FLC Technology FLC 8S by H20Fidelity
- › IHIFI-812V2 by Nymphonomaniac
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse