Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- ALO The Continental Last post on 11/25/13 at 2:13pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- FIRST DEDICATED HEADPHONE RIG Last post on 3/19/11 at 8:30am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- WOO WA22 with LCD-2, Grado1000i, HD800, GradoRS1i Last post on 3/12/11 at 5:27pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Solid State Vet Wants To Try Tubes For The HD 800 and T1!! Last post on 4/8/12 at 8:25pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amp for Grado Rs1i(probably hd650 or hd800 or LCD2 in the future) Last post on 12/8/10 at 6:55pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/4/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 1/18/16
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
Last year I was so excited buying the Walkman Zx2 and Z7 from Sony, and I was gradually enjoying the better of real quality audio when I am stepping back into the portable world. I feel that now...
First off, thanks to Pandora from Brainwavz for reaching out and offering the opportunity to look at the "Jive". Secondly, I noticed a trend that I'm giving 4 stars to everything I've reviewed...
Background It’s safe to say that Massdrop has played a decent role in both introducing new products to the headphone community while highlighting others through their group-purchase...
Introduction – The original d900 from Syllable made quite a splash when it first arrived on the market. It was one of the very first fully wireless earphones ever produced. Furthermore, it was...
The Fiio E12A Mont Blanc portable headphone amplifier is a great amp for IEM's and earbuds. The sound signature is slightly on the warm side, and presents a much fuller sound and wider...
DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions - Page 110post #1636 of 29533/31/14 at 6:14am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #1637 of 29533/31/14 at 8:47amQuote:Originally Posted by sensui123
Those in the picture are the flavor of the week (I like to switch up tubes here and there), just typical RCA 2A3 curved grey plates. I have listened to the amp with the Sylvania flat plate 2A3s and that is a very good match. Very resolved upper range and a clean midrange. So far the amp has responded well to all the NOS tubes I've thrown @ it. Dubstep Girl seems to have done the most research on the rectifier tubes and wrote up a comprehensive review.....very helpful. I happened to jump on her sale quick enough when she said she was selling her U52 Marconi....it's been a blast so far. I don't have any Sophia Princess tubes.....actually I've heard so much about Shuguang Natural Sound tubes from all the reviews here so those are the only modern production tubes I have....everything else I run = NOS (Sylvania Springtops, Sylvania Flat Plates, RCA round plates black/grey, Ken-Rads etc).
Finally joining you guys in rocking out on the Stratus, the wait was way worth it. GS-X is next on the list, should be any day now.....I think I'm calling it quits on the amp rolling for awhile after that one unless I step into electrostatics lol.
I think the dual plate 2A3s from RCA and Sylvania add more color if that is what you are after. In terms of tubes i have tried, it's hard to beat the balance and neutrality of the EML hard plates, unless you have AVVT meshplates.post #1638 of 29534/1/14 at 3:00pm
Just as a matter of interest - has anyone heard the BHSE/009 and DNA/HD800 side by side for a lengthy period of time and come out preferring the DNA/HD800?post #1639 of 29534/1/14 at 4:05pmQuote:
Yeah a lot of you guys recommend the EML stuff. I think I'll pick em up to try down the line.....I do really love the Shuguang Natural sound though as a modern production tube. So lush and refined/detailed at the same time. Great combo with the HD800.post #1640 of 29534/1/14 at 5:26pmQuote:
They are a tube i would also be willing to try, lovely looking 2a3. They look really nice with the EML 5U4G
Edited by magiccabbage - 4/2/14 at 6:36ampost #1641 of 29534/2/14 at 6:36ampost #1642 of 29534/6/14 at 4:58pmpost #1643 of 29534/6/14 at 5:19pmQuote:Originally Posted by drheadphone
A video of the Sylvania dual flat-plate 2A3's on the Stratus with the LCD3 hooked up...
I'm putting this 2A3 tube up for sale on eBay along with a pair of gray S-plates (which sound nicer than the black plates, IMO).
could you please make another video showing different angles of the Stratus - please? Maybe stepping back to give an idea of size?post #1644 of 29534/6/14 at 5:22pmpost #1645 of 29534/10/14 at 7:01ampost #1646 of 29534/10/14 at 7:08ampost #1647 of 29534/10/14 at 9:38am
congrats and do bombard this thread with pics when it comes. There is no where near enough pics to satisfy me.
Third_eye - you hold first prize for best pic in this thread. you should take more and cure my ailments until my stratus arrives.post #1648 of 29534/10/14 at 9:44amQuote:
Thanks! I'll try and take some more pics!post #1649 of 29534/10/14 at 10:14am
cheers - good stuff. Can the stratus be used with a pre-amp? There is is another good reason for taking pics - maybe some pics of the back. I would like to try my WA2 as a pre-amp with the stratus if possible when it comes. There might be a clash of tubes and it might not work at all but it could be worth a go.post #1650 of 29534/10/14 at 12:24pmQuote:Originally Posted by magiccabbage
cheers - good stuff. Can the stratus be used with a pre-amp? There is is another good reason for taking pics - maybe some pics of the back. I would like to try my WA2 as a pre-amp with the stratus if possible when it comes. There might be a clash of tubes and it might not work at all but it could be worth a go.
If you have no luck here, i would PM Donald. I am far from being qualified to answer your question, but to my simple mind, the less things in the signal path the better. Just my 2 cents. I wonder if anyone has a different perspective.
- DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › 6SN7 Tube Addicts 1 second ago
- › Perfect Wave DAC Owner Unite 24 seconds ago
- › MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic... 2 minutes ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 3 minutes ago
- › Get the sennheiser hd650 and the o2odac 3 minutes ago
- › Popular Classical Music 4 minutes ago
- › FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser RS 165, RS 175, RS 185, RS 195 - Impressions thread 6 minutes ago
- › Need reccomendation on closed back headphones 7 minutes ago
- › New Member Introductions thread 7 minutes ago
- › Sony PHA-3 Headphone Amp by Whitigir
- › Brainwavz Jive by Feilong4
- › AKG K7XX by Aornic
- › SYLLABLE D900S Mini Wireless Bluetooth Earphone Waterproof... by ryanjsoo
- › FiiO E12A Mont Blanc Portable Headphone Amplifier for IEM Special... by Tayyab Pirzada
- › FiiO M3 - Digital Portable Music Player by Levistras
- › iBasso Audio D14 "Bushmaster" by Hisoundfi
- › XDuoo X3 DSD 24Bit / 192KHz CS4398 Chip Lossless Music Player by David Thomson
- › Audio-Technica ATH-A900LTD by Heepaholic
- › Sennheiser HD 800 Headphones by Jeremypsp
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...