Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions - Page 109

post #1621 of 1858

nice pics!

 

i need to get audeze and hd 800 back....

post #1622 of 1858
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui123 View Post

Still loving this amp, just when you think it doesn't get any better switch into different music genres and you're in awe all over again, sweet amp.  Rocking the RCA 2A3's currently, pretty sweet sounds:


Nice pic... Just curious, how does the Stratus compare to your liquid glass?
post #1623 of 1858

I can say the Stratus is a sweeter amp for listening for probably most headphones.  It has a lusher signature with all of the tube rolling I've done compared to the tube rolling I've done on the Liquid Glass.  The Stratus has the unique talent of being totally rich without ever being muddy.  The Liquid Glass definitely has more finesse though and it really comes out when you listen to the HE-6......it's obviously capable of more juice and can take advantage of the HE-6 better than the Stratus.  But man.....it really depends on what you're in the mood for if you're running a set of HD800's.....It's hard to beat the staging and details of the HD800 along with the richness the Stratus brings.....not to mention the whole talent of sound coming out of a complete vacuum with the silent background.  The Liquid Glass with the right tubes though like the Tung Sol round plates 6sn7/12sn7 or Sylvania Bad Boys is no lightweight though for clarity and a magical midrange.....I don't think there is a clear winner to tell the truth, just what you're in the mood for.

post #1624 of 1858
Thanks Sensui123, for your insightful comparison! smily_headphones1.gif
post #1625 of 1858
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui123 View Post
 

Still loving this amp, just when you think it doesn't get any better switch into different music genres and you're in awe all over again, sweet amp.  Rocking the RCA 2A3's currently, pretty sweet sounds:

 

Are those RCA Flat Plates and a GEC U52? 

 

Have you tried the Sophia Princess and the U52? I am wondering what the best 5U4G would be for Sophia Electric 2A3. 

I mostly listen to Jazz/Acoustic/Soul. I wonder if the EML 5U4G/Sophia 2A3 combo would compare to - U52/Sophia 2A3,

i Hope it does because i want to get both. 

post #1626 of 1858
Quote:
Originally Posted by magiccabbage View Post
 

Are those RCA Flat Plates and a GEC U52? 

 

Have you tried the Sophia Princess and the U52? I am wondering what the best 5U4G would be for Sophia Electric 2A3. 

I mostly listen to Jazz/Acoustic/Soul. I wonder if the EML 5U4G/Sophia 2A3 combo would compare to - U52/Sophia 2A3,

i Hope it does because i want to get both. 

 

Even in the Stratus, I'm pretty sure the U52 is superior to the EML 5U4G, its in another league IMO, the EML is veiled and plebeian in comparison. 


Edited by Dubstep Girl - 3/30/14 at 3:25am
post #1627 of 1858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post
 

 

Even in the Stratus, I'm pretty sure the U52 is superior to the EML 5U4G, its in another league IMO, the EML is veiled and plebeian in comparison. 

In swoops the Dub. ;)

 

I was hoping that somehow in the Stratus the EML could compare. I might just have to get both. You don't have any U52's left do ya? 

You know of anywhere that sells them? E-bay has a few up but they are steep prices from Taiwan mostly - how much did you let yours go for?

 

Is 500 dollars a fair price you think? I don't really know the fetching price. 

post #1628 of 1858
Compared to the EML 5U4G, I feel that the U52 is cleaner, clearer and has a bigger soundstage. While I do not have the Princess Sophia 2A3, based on what I read here about it, I think the U52 could match better with the Princess Sophia, which is supposed to be a bit romantic sounding.
post #1629 of 1858
Quote:
Originally Posted by froger View Post

Compared to the EML 5U4G, I feel that the U52 is cleaner, clearer and has a bigger soundstage. While I do not have the Princess Sophia 2A3, based on what I read here about it, I think the U52 could match better with the Princess Sophia, which is supposed to be a bit romantic sounding.

what do you use with the U52?

 

Would you rate the Shuguang Natural Sound 2A3C-T better than the sophia 2a3 - at least for you? How do they compare


Edited by magiccabbage - 3/30/14 at 5:52am
post #1630 of 1858
Before I swapped in a more mid-centric rca interconnect and the Ifi USB purifier a few weeks ago, I actually preferred the EML rectifier over the U52 with the Shuguang Natural sound as I thought the EML was more full sounding and thus more realistic. Now that I am able bring the mid out with the rca cable and ifi purifier, I can finally appreciate the refinement of the U52 over the EML. Nevertheless, I feel that the EML is still a very good tube which I enjoy very much. On top of that, it is also a tube which Donald can offer as an upgrade over the stock.

As I have never heard the Princess Sophia tube, I am not in a position to compare it with the Shuguang Natural sound. There are some Stratus owners who have/had both, so I will leave it to them to comment.
post #1631 of 1858
Quote:
Originally Posted by froger View Post

Before I swapped in a more mid-centric rca interconnect and the Ifi USB purifier a few weeks ago..

 

How do you like the USB purifier? Worthwhile?

post #1632 of 1858
Quote:
Originally Posted by third_eye View Post

How do you like the USB purifier? Worthwhile?
I prefer the ifi purifier to remain in my system. Better imagining and clarity to my ears, though I thought at the expense of the impact of the bass. The bass seems weaker with the purifier in place.I think since it is not too expensive, it is worthwhile to give it a try. The shop I bought the purifier from, offers 7days full refund for all ifi products if customers don't like them, not sure if it applies to other places.
post #1633 of 1858
Quote:
Originally Posted by magiccabbage View Post
 

Are those RCA Flat Plates and a GEC U52? 

 

Have you tried the Sophia Princess and the U52? I am wondering what the best 5U4G would be for Sophia Electric 2A3. 

I mostly listen to Jazz/Acoustic/Soul. I wonder if the EML 5U4G/Sophia 2A3 combo would compare to - U52/Sophia 2A3,

i Hope it does because i want to get both. 

 

Those in the picture are the flavor of the week (I like to switch up tubes here and there), just typical RCA 2A3 curved grey plates.  I have listened to the amp with the Sylvania flat plate 2A3s and that is a very good match.  Very resolved upper range and a clean midrange.  So far the amp has responded well to all the NOS tubes I've thrown @ it.  Dubstep Girl seems to have done the most research on the rectifier tubes and wrote up a comprehensive review.....very helpful.  I happened to jump on her sale quick enough when she said she was selling her U52 Marconi....it's been a blast so far.  I don't have any Sophia Princess tubes.....actually I've heard so much about Shuguang Natural Sound tubes from all the reviews here so those are the only modern production tubes I have....everything else I run = NOS (Sylvania Springtops, Sylvania Flat Plates, RCA round plates black/grey, Ken-Rads etc).

 

Finally joining you guys in rocking out on the Stratus, the wait was way worth it.  GS-X is next on the list, should be any day now.....I think I'm calling it quits on the amp rolling for awhile after that one unless I step into electrostatics lol.


Edited by sensui123 - 3/30/14 at 9:45pm
post #1634 of 1858
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui123 View Post
 

 

Those in the picture are the flavor of the week (I like to switch up tubes here and there), just typical RCA 2A3 curved grey plates.  I have listened to the amp with the Sylvania flat plate 2A3s and that is a very good match.  Very resolved upper range and a clean midrange.  So far the amp has responded well to all the NOS tubes I've thrown @ it.  Dubstep Girl seems to have done the most research on the rectifier tubes and wrote up a comprehensive review.....very helpful.  I happened to jump on her sale quick enough when she said she was selling her U52 Marconi....it's been a blast so far.  I don't have any Sophia Princess tubes.....actually I've heard so much about Shuguang Natural Sound tubes from all the reviews here so those are the only modern production tubes I have....everything else I run = NOS (Sylvania Springtops, Sylvania Flat Plates, RCA round plates black/grey, Ken-Rads etc).

 

Finally joining you guys in rocking out on the Stratus, the wait was way worth it.  GS-X is next on the list, should be any day now.....I think I'm calling it quits on the amp rolling for awhile after that one unless I step into electrostatics lol.

I for one cannot wait till you get that GSX. Having those 2 side by side will be a great help for me. I had my eye on the GSX but have decided on the Stratus instead. 

It will be nice to know what i will be missing out on.

 

I think I know what tubes i will get to start off with ¬

 

GEC U52                   SOPHIA PRINCESS 2A3

EML 5U4G                 KEN RAD 2A3

KEN RAD 5U4G         SHGUANG TREASURE 2A3

 

 

Has anyone tried the Arcturus 2a3 for pop - will this tube add tones of bass slam? I like bass slam when i listen to Michael Jackson especially on albums like "History part 2" and "dangerous".

post #1635 of 1858

dear froger,

 

what are the other parts of the system?

source, dac, cables?

 

all the best.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions