thanks Donald, I'm anxious to put my hands on mine
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- ALO The Continental Last post on 11/25/13 at 2:13pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- FIRST DEDICATED HEADPHONE RIG Last post on 3/19/11 at 8:30am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- WOO WA22 with LCD-2, Grado1000i, HD800, GradoRS1i Last post on 3/12/11 at 5:27pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Solid State Vet Wants To Try Tubes For The HD 800 and T1!! Last post on 4/8/12 at 8:25pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amp for Grado Rs1i(probably hd650 or hd800 or LCD2 in the future) Last post on 12/8/10 at 6:55pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/4/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 1/18/16
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
For larger views of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual imagesINTRODUCTION Following the successful launch of the initial Trinity range on Kickstarter, Bob (Trinity's CEO and...
REVIEW: ifi Pro iCan Equipment used: Headphones: Sennheiser HD800S, Hifiman Edition X, Hifiman HE-560, AKG K7XX, Audeze LCD-2f, Sennheiser Momentum, HD-650, Oppo PM-2, PM-3, Aurisonics ASG...
Thank-you to Pandora of Brainwavz for supplying the Omega for review. Brainwavz has been around for a while now and this isn't my first encounter with one of their products. In 2011 I...
I picked this up second hand on ebay, more out of curiosity than anything. I'm just getting into listening with headphones and one of my amps doesn't have a headphone socket, so this seemed like as...
I have owned the Darkvoice 336SE for a while now, and consider myself a discerning listener/audiophile. My listening setup consists of two KRK RP-5 studio reference monitors, and a KRK RP-10S, and...
DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions - Page 2post #16 of 28475/13/12 at 9:07pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 28475/13/12 at 9:21pm
Yes, sorry for the confusion, I know I wasn't perfectly clear. I was trying to write everything while getting pressure from my wife to leave the house. Next time I won't rush trying to get some comments up.
To further clarify-there are 2 switches on the front of the amp.The first one affects just the 1/4" output, and allows the selection of output impedance of either 8 ohms or 120 ohms. The second switch allows the 1/4" output to be dropped by 6db, thus allowing more control of volume with certain phones. Alternately, using the dual 3 pin XLR or 4 pin XLR output, the same switch, allows for single ended or transformer balanced output.
I hope that helps.
Edited by santacore - 5/13/12 at 9:55pmpost #18 of 28475/14/12 at 2:30ampost #19 of 28475/14/12 at 8:54pmThread Starter
hey hey, santacore, glad to see you chimed in! Sounds like ser nr #0001 has a lot of the same characteristics as ser nr #0002. Gawlly!
I've been letting mine run in, with occasional cooling down periods to let the caps and all breathe. Some say 2 hrs on, 1 hr off, but since I know Donald's set us low on the transfer graph, I'm running more like 6 on, 2 off.
With > 60 hrs now, it seems like it has already settled down quite a bit. The detail is coming through more clearly and that slight orange glow (which santacore pegged right as a small band with a little umph in the upper mids) seems to have faded out. Through the LA7000 headphone, I hear a bit of extra bass, but it's not bloom, as it has excellent timbre and dynamic control - it's part of the signature of the D7000. In fact, the attack, tone and fade of the timpani and plucked double bass are the best I've heard.
So I got antsy. It has full-bodied sound, and excellent extension on both ends, with dynamic contrasts galore, but the timbral palette seems a bit shy and the clarity dial definitely needs a turn. So out came the NOS 5U4G cryo'd Mullard that I purchased back in December, when I submitted my pre-order with Donald.
Donald did us a huge favor selecting this rectifier. It is one of the full-wave rectifiers with a top-notch reputation, but there are enough of them floating around still so that they don't cost a fortune. I paid $89 for one of the very best, but you can still buy a 1970s NOS tube for $29, and 1960s better for $39.
And WOW, did it make a difference! Gone were the fuzzies at congested parts - black went the background between notes, air appeared between voices, and the timbral quality of every voice added another couple sub-harmonics. In other words, the sound got better, way better.
In fact, I sat back and listened to the entire CD, and that was my evening.
So next test will be 2 or 3 other headphones.post #20 of 28475/14/12 at 9:55pm
My comment about the slightly pushed upper mid sound, was only in regards to IEM's using the 1/4" output. With my other phones and the XLR outputs, I have not noticed this issue. As I said before the sound is big, powerful, detailed, extended, with great tone. I'm loving it with the stock tubes and look forward to even more fun if Donald let me experiment with otherspost #21 of 28475/15/12 at 7:44amThread Starter
I put in a new CD this morning, Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue, Arthur Fiedler, Earl Wild, RCA Living Voice, and I tried the HD800 balanced on the Stratus.
Wow! Gorgeous! Like listening to their original 3-track tape. Dead quiet, complete and rich timbre, intense drum whacks, golden brass, fantastic music. I had to listen to the entire piece.
This is most definitely the best I have ever heard the HD800 sound. I could listen to this all day.post #22 of 28475/15/12 at 10:11ampost #23 of 28475/17/12 at 3:58pmpost #24 of 28475/17/12 at 5:34pmQuote:
I can't speak for the Balancing Act, but the Stratus has a much more 3 dimensional soundstage then the S7 using LCD-2's.post #25 of 28475/18/12 at 4:19pmThread Starter
Well, I finally got around to trying the LCD-2 with the Stratus. Also, the best I've ever heard it sound. Lots of life and presence, but after listening with the HD800 for a few days, I felt the LCD-2 wasn't letting me hear all of the micro-details. I tried a different cable, and the sound became a little clearer (a very nice, well-shielded copper cable from DHC), but I still felt the HD800 had been giving me more - a fuller picture, fine details, real deep and rich. So I went back, and yes, I definitely prefer the HD800 on the Stratus. I've got the HD800 on a solid rectangular silver cable from DHC, an awesome cable, but it doesn't play well with the LCD. I am enjoying this combo a lot.
Of course, YMMV.
Edited by budx3385 - 5/18/12 at 4:22pmpost #26 of 28475/18/12 at 4:25pmThread Starter
EeePee, I have the Stratus straight up at 5. But I'm using the level control on my DAC, and its sitting about -9dB most of the time. Next time I will level it out and check for you. Any particular concern? The Stratus has plenty of headroom!post #27 of 28475/18/12 at 5:14pm
Would be interested in comparisons with the Super 7.
To be honest, I used to own the Sonett and never took a shine to it. Maybe my issue is with the 6H30 driver tube...I have yet to hear a 6H30-based preamp that I have enjoyed, although I know others adore BAT and Audio Research preamps that are designed around the 6H30.
Is the Stratus the polar opposite of the Sonett, or does it have a similar sound signature?post #28 of 28475/18/12 at 5:29pmpost #29 of 28475/18/12 at 10:52pm
I'm guessing I'm the guy for this, since I had both in my house at the same time. The Super 7 is a really great sounding amp, and has the EC house sound. Neutral and clean with an almost solid state delivery, while still remaining musical. In a lot of ways the Sonett is similar, but with a bit less bass, and less power and drive. The Stratus is a whole other deal. Because it's direct heated triode, it has a totally different sound. It's fast, dynamic, and powerful, but has that warm musical sound DHT amps are known for.post #30 of 28475/19/12 at 4:00pmQuote:
I suppose the concern is as to whether the dial would have some room for adjustment, or if it might be too low so there isn't much range to work with using Senn's 300 ohm headphones on the balanced outs.
If you don't mind leveling the DAC out...
Thanks, just researching and curious.
- DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Schiit Fire and Save Matches! Bifrost Multibit is Here. 13 seconds ago
- › NEW: Tralucent Audio Plus5 BA IEM 1 minute ago
- › Pioneer's first DAP, the XDP-100R announced in IFA 1 minute ago
- › Introducing Trinity Audio Engineering 1 minute ago
- › DQSM IEM Impressions / Easy Earphones Impressions 1 minute ago
- › ZhiYin QT5 4BA + 1DD Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Band Name Game II 1 minute ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 1 minute ago
- › Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review 1 minute ago
- › Alpha & Delta D2 Impressions 2 minutes ago
- › Trinity Audio Engineering Atlas water resistant sports in-ear monitor by Brooko
- › iFi Pro iCAN by Koolpep
- › Brainwavz Omega In Ear Earbuds Noise Isolating Earphones Remote... by Deviltooth
- › Bravo Audio Ocean by Varley58
- › Darkvoice 336SE by Shasari
- › HiFime SPDIF Optical 9018 DAC by HiFiChris
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by harry501501
- › TFZ Series 1 by TwinACStacks
- › NuForce HEM4 Reference Class Hi-Res In-Ear Headphones with Dual... by Jackpot77
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by TwinACStacks
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...