thanks Donald, I'm anxious to put my hands on mine
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by System, 5/25/12
- categoryDesktop Ampstagged by System, 5/25/12
- productDNA Stratus 2a3tagged by System, 5/25/12
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 5/25/12
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 5/25/12
- productSonett DNAtagged by System, 5/25/12
Related Forum Threads
- HD800 + $1,000-$2,500 Amp = Sonic Bliss? Last post on 12/5/13 at 12:47pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Tube amp for Sennheiser HD800s: deciding between some SE & balanced options Last post on 11/15/12 at 11:54pm in High-end Audio Forum
- ALO The Continental Last post on 11/25/13 at 2:13pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- FIRST DEDICATED HEADPHONE RIG Last post on 3/19/11 at 8:30am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- WOO WA22 with LCD-2, Grado1000i, HD800, GradoRS1i Last post on 3/12/11 at 5:27pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/5/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)Last edited: 12/28/12
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
My first in-ear headphone. Always thought they couldn't be any good compared to the over-ear headphones. I was wrong. The looks are a matter of taste, so I keep that in the middle for a...
This is the veteran ex-flagship model from FitEar／須山補聴器 before the Mitsuharu Harada series (MH335DW) was released recently. The C435 is a 4 way crossover configuration, 5 drivers (2 highs, 2 mids 1...
I've spent the past week auditioning these new VSD1S by VSonic. Before this I was listening extensively to my dual dynamics JVC FXT90's and my dual armature UE 700. For a single dynamic driver that...
I started this review with the intention of pointing out the things I don't like about it, but man, there really isn't much I don't love about these. Out of the box they sound very thin and...
It does a good job as a DAC for my starving student amp. Eventually, I will probably upgrade but it works well enough. It is nice that it powers off of USB and doesn't take up tons of space.
DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions - Page 2post #16 of 13075/13/12 at 9:07pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 13075/13/12 at 9:21pm
Yes, sorry for the confusion, I know I wasn't perfectly clear. I was trying to write everything while getting pressure from my wife to leave the house. Next time I won't rush trying to get some comments up.
To further clarify-there are 2 switches on the front of the amp.The first one affects just the 1/4" output, and allows the selection of output impedance of either 8 ohms or 120 ohms. The second switch allows the 1/4" output to be dropped by 6db, thus allowing more control of volume with certain phones. Alternately, using the dual 3 pin XLR or 4 pin XLR output, the same switch, allows for single ended or transformer balanced output.
I hope that helps.
Edited by santacore - 5/13/12 at 9:55pmpost #18 of 13075/14/12 at 2:30ampost #19 of 13075/14/12 at 8:54pmThread Starter
hey hey, santacore, glad to see you chimed in! Sounds like ser nr #0001 has a lot of the same characteristics as ser nr #0002. Gawlly!
I've been letting mine run in, with occasional cooling down periods to let the caps and all breathe. Some say 2 hrs on, 1 hr off, but since I know Donald's set us low on the transfer graph, I'm running more like 6 on, 2 off.
With > 60 hrs now, it seems like it has already settled down quite a bit. The detail is coming through more clearly and that slight orange glow (which santacore pegged right as a small band with a little umph in the upper mids) seems to have faded out. Through the LA7000 headphone, I hear a bit of extra bass, but it's not bloom, as it has excellent timbre and dynamic control - it's part of the signature of the D7000. In fact, the attack, tone and fade of the timpani and plucked double bass are the best I've heard.
So I got antsy. It has full-bodied sound, and excellent extension on both ends, with dynamic contrasts galore, but the timbral palette seems a bit shy and the clarity dial definitely needs a turn. So out came the NOS 5U4G cryo'd Mullard that I purchased back in December, when I submitted my pre-order with Donald.
Donald did us a huge favor selecting this rectifier. It is one of the full-wave rectifiers with a top-notch reputation, but there are enough of them floating around still so that they don't cost a fortune. I paid $89 for one of the very best, but you can still buy a 1970s NOS tube for $29, and 1960s better for $39.
And WOW, did it make a difference! Gone were the fuzzies at congested parts - black went the background between notes, air appeared between voices, and the timbral quality of every voice added another couple sub-harmonics. In other words, the sound got better, way better.
In fact, I sat back and listened to the entire CD, and that was my evening.
So next test will be 2 or 3 other headphones.post #20 of 13075/14/12 at 9:55pm
My comment about the slightly pushed upper mid sound, was only in regards to IEM's using the 1/4" output. With my other phones and the XLR outputs, I have not noticed this issue. As I said before the sound is big, powerful, detailed, extended, with great tone. I'm loving it with the stock tubes and look forward to even more fun if Donald let me experiment with otherspost #21 of 13075/15/12 at 7:44amThread Starter
I put in a new CD this morning, Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue, Arthur Fiedler, Earl Wild, RCA Living Voice, and I tried the HD800 balanced on the Stratus.
Wow! Gorgeous! Like listening to their original 3-track tape. Dead quiet, complete and rich timbre, intense drum whacks, golden brass, fantastic music. I had to listen to the entire piece.
This is most definitely the best I have ever heard the HD800 sound. I could listen to this all day.post #22 of 13075/15/12 at 10:11ampost #23 of 13075/17/12 at 3:58pmpost #24 of 13075/17/12 at 5:34pmQuote:
I can't speak for the Balancing Act, but the Stratus has a much more 3 dimensional soundstage then the S7 using LCD-2's.post #25 of 13075/18/12 at 4:19pmThread Starter
Well, I finally got around to trying the LCD-2 with the Stratus. Also, the best I've ever heard it sound. Lots of life and presence, but after listening with the HD800 for a few days, I felt the LCD-2 wasn't letting me hear all of the micro-details. I tried a different cable, and the sound became a little clearer (a very nice, well-shielded copper cable from DHC), but I still felt the HD800 had been giving me more - a fuller picture, fine details, real deep and rich. So I went back, and yes, I definitely prefer the HD800 on the Stratus. I've got the HD800 on a solid rectangular silver cable from DHC, an awesome cable, but it doesn't play well with the LCD. I am enjoying this combo a lot.
Of course, YMMV.
Edited by budx3385 - 5/18/12 at 4:22pmpost #26 of 13075/18/12 at 4:25pmThread Starter
EeePee, I have the Stratus straight up at 5. But I'm using the level control on my DAC, and its sitting about -9dB most of the time. Next time I will level it out and check for you. Any particular concern? The Stratus has plenty of headroom!post #27 of 13075/18/12 at 5:14pm
Would be interested in comparisons with the Super 7.
To be honest, I used to own the Sonett and never took a shine to it. Maybe my issue is with the 6H30 driver tube...I have yet to hear a 6H30-based preamp that I have enjoyed, although I know others adore BAT and Audio Research preamps that are designed around the 6H30.
Is the Stratus the polar opposite of the Sonett, or does it have a similar sound signature?post #28 of 13075/18/12 at 5:29pmpost #29 of 13075/18/12 at 10:52pm
I'm guessing I'm the guy for this, since I had both in my house at the same time. The Super 7 is a really great sounding amp, and has the EC house sound. Neutral and clean with an almost solid state delivery, while still remaining musical. In a lot of ways the Sonett is similar, but with a bit less bass, and less power and drive. The Stratus is a whole other deal. Because it's direct heated triode, it has a totally different sound. It's fast, dynamic, and powerful, but has that warm musical sound DHT amps are known for.post #30 of 13075/19/12 at 4:00pmQuote:
I suppose the concern is as to whether the dial would have some room for adjustment, or if it might be too low so there isn't much range to work with using Senn's 300 ohm headphones on the balanced outs.
If you don't mind leveling the DAC out...
Thanks, just researching and curious.
- DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...
- › WTB: Bravo Audio Ocean amp 6 seconds ago
- › DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread 14 seconds ago
- › DIY Cable Gallery!! 22 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Appreciation Thread!! 31 seconds ago
- › InEarZ (Fisher Hearing) Custom Remold Owner's Thread 1 minute ago
- › December 2013 Mid-Level DAC Comparison 1 minute ago
- › Pictures of Your *Budget-Fi* Portable Rig (< $200) 2 minutes ago
- › amp/dac combo needed for DT660 and 250 ohm DT880 2 minutes ago
- › Does anyone own Shure SRH750DJs? Does it need an amp? 2 minutes ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 2 minutes ago
- › Philips S2BK/28 Fidelio In-Ear Headsets by Antilochos
- › FitEar Private C435 Custom In-Ear Monitors by TheLastDevil
- › VSONIC VSD1S by IEMagnet01
- › Bowers & Wilkins P7 by eightbitpotion
- › NuForce Icon uDAC-2 (Black) USB DAC (24bit/96kHz) and Headphone... by jshaffe
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by jshaffe
- › Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro 250 OHM Semi-open reference headphone by jshaffe
- › MartinLogan Mikros 90 Reference On-Ear Headphones, Black by pataburd
- › Logitech UE 6000 by Trunks159
- › MEElectronics SP51-BK Sound Preference In-Ear Headphone with Sound... by Benik3
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop &... by warrenpchi