thanks Donald, I'm anxious to put my hands on mine
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- HD800 + $1,000-$2,500 Amp = Sonic Bliss? Last post on 1/20/13 at 2:22am in High-end Audio Forum
- Tube amp for Sennheiser HD800s: deciding between some SE & balanced options Last post on 11/15/12 at 11:54pm in High-end Audio Forum
- ALO The Continental Last post on 4/10/13 at 7:10am in Portable Headphone Amps
- FIRST DEDICATED HEADPHONE RIG Last post on 3/19/11 at 8:30am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- WOO WA22 with LCD-2, Grado1000i, HD800, GradoRS1i Last post on 3/12/11 at 5:27pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Comparing headphones: Sennheiser's HD 800, HD 600, HD 25-1 and...
Edited on 5/27/12
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)Edited on 12/28/12
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Edited on 9/19/11
- Diy Beginners GuideEdited on 11/14/12
- Headphone ImpedanceEdited on 8/18/12
Build Quality: For something hand built, the overall build quality is quite good. Of course, it isn’t nearly as perfect as something from a plastic molding machine but it is far ahead from the...
Disclaimer: My only other good cans to compare these to are Beyerdynamics DT770 (250). I fully realize this review will be biased because of that. So please keep that in mind. This review is my...
First Impressions: Well, when I first used these, I used them in the same place I'd expect myself to continue using these, on the go from place to place, and while at places outside the...
I bought these this week from amazon.co.uk for £10 including delivery. That's US $15. Packaging, appearance, warranty, euro-nanny knows best: Mine arrived in the small European packaging box,...
Absolutely beautiful little player. It's just a gorgeous chunk of tech that feels good to hold. For me personally tech has to have form as well as function and the AK120 doesn't disappoint on...
DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions - Page 2post #16 of 9095/13/12 at 9:07pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 9095/13/12 at 9:21pm
Yes, sorry for the confusion, I know I wasn't perfectly clear. I was trying to write everything while getting pressure from my wife to leave the house. Next time I won't rush trying to get some comments up.
To further clarify-there are 2 switches on the front of the amp.The first one affects just the 1/4" output, and allows the selection of output impedance of either 8 ohms or 120 ohms. The second switch allows the 1/4" output to be dropped by 6db, thus allowing more control of volume with certain phones. Alternately, using the dual 3 pin XLR or 4 pin XLR output, the same switch, allows for single ended or transformer balanced output.
I hope that helps.
Edited by santacore - 5/13/12 at 9:55pmpost #18 of 9095/14/12 at 2:30ampost #19 of 9095/14/12 at 8:54pmThread Starter
hey hey, santacore, glad to see you chimed in! Sounds like ser nr #0001 has a lot of the same characteristics as ser nr #0002. Gawlly!
I've been letting mine run in, with occasional cooling down periods to let the caps and all breathe. Some say 2 hrs on, 1 hr off, but since I know Donald's set us low on the transfer graph, I'm running more like 6 on, 2 off.
With > 60 hrs now, it seems like it has already settled down quite a bit. The detail is coming through more clearly and that slight orange glow (which santacore pegged right as a small band with a little umph in the upper mids) seems to have faded out. Through the LA7000 headphone, I hear a bit of extra bass, but it's not bloom, as it has excellent timbre and dynamic control - it's part of the signature of the D7000. In fact, the attack, tone and fade of the timpani and plucked double bass are the best I've heard.
So I got antsy. It has full-bodied sound, and excellent extension on both ends, with dynamic contrasts galore, but the timbral palette seems a bit shy and the clarity dial definitely needs a turn. So out came the NOS 5U4G cryo'd Mullard that I purchased back in December, when I submitted my pre-order with Donald.
Donald did us a huge favor selecting this rectifier. It is one of the full-wave rectifiers with a top-notch reputation, but there are enough of them floating around still so that they don't cost a fortune. I paid $89 for one of the very best, but you can still buy a 1970s NOS tube for $29, and 1960s better for $39.
And WOW, did it make a difference! Gone were the fuzzies at congested parts - black went the background between notes, air appeared between voices, and the timbral quality of every voice added another couple sub-harmonics. In other words, the sound got better, way better.
In fact, I sat back and listened to the entire CD, and that was my evening.
So next test will be 2 or 3 other headphones.post #20 of 9095/14/12 at 9:55pm
My comment about the slightly pushed upper mid sound, was only in regards to IEM's using the 1/4" output. With my other phones and the XLR outputs, I have not noticed this issue. As I said before the sound is big, powerful, detailed, extended, with great tone. I'm loving it with the stock tubes and look forward to even more fun if Donald let me experiment with otherspost #21 of 9095/15/12 at 7:44amThread Starter
I put in a new CD this morning, Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue, Arthur Fiedler, Earl Wild, RCA Living Voice, and I tried the HD800 balanced on the Stratus.
Wow! Gorgeous! Like listening to their original 3-track tape. Dead quiet, complete and rich timbre, intense drum whacks, golden brass, fantastic music. I had to listen to the entire piece.
This is most definitely the best I have ever heard the HD800 sound. I could listen to this all day.post #22 of 9095/15/12 at 10:11ampost #23 of 9095/17/12 at 3:58pmpost #24 of 9095/17/12 at 5:34pmQuote:
I can't speak for the Balancing Act, but the Stratus has a much more 3 dimensional soundstage then the S7 using LCD-2's.post #25 of 9095/18/12 at 4:19pmThread Starter
Well, I finally got around to trying the LCD-2 with the Stratus. Also, the best I've ever heard it sound. Lots of life and presence, but after listening with the HD800 for a few days, I felt the LCD-2 wasn't letting me hear all of the micro-details. I tried a different cable, and the sound became a little clearer (a very nice, well-shielded copper cable from DHC), but I still felt the HD800 had been giving me more - a fuller picture, fine details, real deep and rich. So I went back, and yes, I definitely prefer the HD800 on the Stratus. I've got the HD800 on a solid rectangular silver cable from DHC, an awesome cable, but it doesn't play well with the LCD. I am enjoying this combo a lot.
Of course, YMMV.
Edited by budx3385 - 5/18/12 at 4:22pmpost #26 of 9095/18/12 at 4:25pmThread Starter
EeePee, I have the Stratus straight up at 5. But I'm using the level control on my DAC, and its sitting about -9dB most of the time. Next time I will level it out and check for you. Any particular concern? The Stratus has plenty of headroom!post #27 of 9095/18/12 at 5:14pm
Would be interested in comparisons with the Super 7.
To be honest, I used to own the Sonett and never took a shine to it. Maybe my issue is with the 6H30 driver tube...I have yet to hear a 6H30-based preamp that I have enjoyed, although I know others adore BAT and Audio Research preamps that are designed around the 6H30.
Is the Stratus the polar opposite of the Sonett, or does it have a similar sound signature?post #28 of 9095/18/12 at 5:29pmpost #29 of 9095/18/12 at 10:52pm
I'm guessing I'm the guy for this, since I had both in my house at the same time. The Super 7 is a really great sounding amp, and has the EC house sound. Neutral and clean with an almost solid state delivery, while still remaining musical. In a lot of ways the Sonett is similar, but with a bit less bass, and less power and drive. The Stratus is a whole other deal. Because it's direct heated triode, it has a totally different sound. It's fast, dynamic, and powerful, but has that warm musical sound DHT amps are known for.post #30 of 9095/19/12 at 4:00pmQuote:
I suppose the concern is as to whether the dial would have some room for adjustment, or if it might be too low so there isn't much range to work with using Senn's 300 ohm headphones on the balanced outs.
If you don't mind leveling the DAC out...
Thanks, just researching and curious.
- DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)
- › I Basso HDP R 10 is IBasso DX 100 Japan Version impression and... 12 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 19 seconds ago
- › New custom IEM company - Custom Art: discussion, review, and... 1 minute ago
- › T-PEOS H-200 - new triple hybrid IEM - Appreciation thread 1 minute ago
- › Which would you choose? 1 minute ago
- › The Centrance HiFi M8 thread 1 minute ago
- › Analog Paper^2 Discussion and Appreciation Thread. 2 minutes ago
- › Album art game 3 minutes ago
- › The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - READ THE FIRST POST! 3 minutes ago
- › Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old... 3 minutes ago
- › [Apollo] IEM Upgrade Cable by Effect Audio by ClieOS
- › Audio Technica ATH-M40FS Precision StudioPhones by UmustBKidn
- › JVC Victor Head-band Portable Headphones | HA-S500-B Black... by daleb
- › Koss KSC75 Portable Stereophone Headphones by julian67
- › Astell & Kern AK120 by GSARider
- › Denon AH-D600 by johangrb
- › Sennheiser HD 250 Linear II by xEcuToR
- › Sennheiser CX150 Ear-Canal Phones by BadMoose
- › Rhapsodio RDB+ 2v1 by svyr
- › Audio-technica AIR Dynamic Headphones Ath-ad1000x by a_recording
- › Syncing music and making playlists work with... by Currawong
- › Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes by miceblue
- › STAX SR-007 (Omega II) ... A Review After 4... by Currawong
- › List of lossless and high-res music (FLAC,... by ffivaz
- › Beware of the following scams and people... by Currawong
- › Sennheiser 449 Mod Possibly 4 8 Mod by hernan604
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Computer Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable... by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Desktop Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Headphone... by joe