I should be getting mine in a week or 2!
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- ALO The Continental Last post on 11/25/13 at 2:13pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- FIRST DEDICATED HEADPHONE RIG Last post on 3/19/11 at 8:30am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- WOO WA22 with LCD-2, Grado1000i, HD800, GradoRS1i Last post on 3/12/11 at 5:27pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Solid State Vet Wants To Try Tubes For The HD 800 and T1!! Last post on 4/8/12 at 8:25pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amp for Grado Rs1i(probably hd650 or hd800 or LCD2 in the future) Last post on 12/8/10 at 6:55pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/4/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 1/18/16
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
AK Audio Super Dolphin 6BASticking a Dolphin in your ears! DisclaimerThe Super Dolphin 6BA is a loaner unit provided in exchange for my honest and unbiased opinion. I have tried my best to...
This is an excellent pair of headphones, sound is very clear, and the looks are impressive. I am disappointed with the padding, hurts to wear in less then 15 minutes. Pads can be replaced though....
I've had mine for almost 5 years, still breathing and still sounds great! I've had mine short circuit for two times because and fixed it, still sounds the same. So far this is the best for me and I...
When these went on sale at massdrop I thought I was going to put one over on the man and get some really good audiophile grade headphones for $100, sadly that's not what I got when the package...
This little DAC punches way way way above its weight. I fell deep into the audiophile hole about a month ago, waiting for our 2nd son to be born. If I could be so bold, I went through a...
DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions - Page 86post #1276 of 300411/30/13 at 6:54pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #1277 of 300411/30/13 at 6:56pmpost #1278 of 300411/30/13 at 7:03pm
I know! just in time of Xmas! only thing is I am gonna drive to New England from DC to vista my and wife's family for the holidays. Maybe I will bring the Stratus along!!! You enjoy Audioclyde!post #1279 of 300411/30/13 at 8:53pmpost #1280 of 300412/1/13 at 5:26ampost #1281 of 300412/1/13 at 4:18pmQuote:Originally Posted by Audioclyde
I've spent considerable holiday time listening to my headphone setup with the Stratus installed. Of course there may be some of the 'new toy' effect working here, but I'm now enjoying listening to my headphones just as much or more than my speaker setup; in the past, I much preferred my speaker setup.
I also got the Placette remove volume control installed. Going direct from the DAC to the Placette then to the Stratus cured the slight noise issue I had when trying to use my preamp's remote volume control; however, I felt like the sound lost some weight or body. My Calyspo pre allows you to set any input to 'unity gain' or bypass mode; so I did this and now have the DAC feeding the 'bypass mode' input on the pre, then from the preamp's outputs to the Placette, with the Placette feeding the Stratus. Maybe I just like lots of tubes, but I like the sound much better this way, and I have absolutely no noise (and this is with the Stratus' volume control turned all the way up, so that it is basically out of the signal path), and still have remote control of volume. Happy camper here !!
The Stratus is a real gem, IMHO!!
What are you hearing that you like more than running the Stratus straight from your Dac? My guess is more distortion, which adds "colorations". If you want color, the Eddie Current Super 6 may have been a better choice, since it can be tuned/toned with the use of different 6SN7GT tubes. The Stratus is a very "honest" amp for an SET and, while changing the power and input tubes can add some color, it doesn't seem to have that big an effect on the amp's neutrality. Good luck with your set-up.post #1282 of 300412/2/13 at 3:51pm
I considered the EC amps; I am quite happy I went with the Stratus. I like the sound fine with the DAC feeding the Stratus directly; unfortunately I have to have remote volume control. The Placette does the job quite nicely; however, I much prefer the sound with the setup described above vs. going directly from the DAC to the Placette and on to the Stratus.
In my system, I've been able to discern the different characteristics/sounds imparted by different output tubes and rectifiers in the Stratus quite easily; I haven't noted nearly as big a difference rolling the input tube (although I haven't experimented much there yet).
I've had a fairly large group of very well thought of amps & preamps in my setup over the years; many that got great results on the test bench, but didn't sound like music to me. I long ago concluded that I'm not interested if a component is dead neutral--what matters is whether I like the sound, and whether it sounds like real, natural music to me. I would suggest if you are concerned about distortions or colorations, maybe you shouldn't be listening to a SET at all; yes the Stratus is quite honest, but it does sound like a SET amp to me--as it should, and as I was looking for.
My concern with posts such as your is that someone may not read this entire thread, or worse yet, part of the post gets quoted elsewhere on the internet (with no real context, etc.), and lead a reader to the conclusion that the Stratus doesn't deliver the magnificent SET sound that it does. IMHO, when we post without any real knowledge of another person's experience, listening bias, setup, etc., we can too easily provide the basis for quite erroneous conclusions, even if we don't intend to do so.
Thanks and enjoy!
Randypost #1283 of 300412/2/13 at 5:19pmpost #1284 of 300412/4/13 at 8:04pmpost #1285 of 300412/4/13 at 8:06pmpost #1286 of 300412/4/13 at 10:20pmpost #1287 of 300412/5/13 at 3:47ampost #1288 of 300412/5/13 at 3:52ampost #1289 of 300412/5/13 at 11:00ampost #1290 of 300412/5/13 at 11:35am
This may not be the right forum, but has anyone had a chance to compare the Stratus with the Woo WA5? Both DHT SE amps. I had a chance to listen to both at the last NY meet, and both sounded great, but it was difficult to suss out differences with different sources, music, crowd noise, etc.
- DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Fostex T50rp sound leak? 59 seconds ago
- › Shanling M3 1 minute ago
- › Bose QC35 Wireless Noise-Cancelling Headphones 1 minute ago
- › IBasso Audio IT03 2 minutes ago
- › Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read... 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 2 minutes ago
- › NEW SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A FLAGSHIP HI-END DAP!!! 2 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Portable Headphones and IEMs) 2 minutes ago
- › Introducing the new Continental V5 portable tube amp 3 minutes ago
- › Super Dolphin 6BA by RedJohn456
- › HE-5LE by audiophilehe400
- › Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker System with Subwoofer by artofmanliness
- › Massdrop x HIFIMAN HE350 by reikoshea
- › Hifime Sabre 9018 USB DAC by Rish732
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Closed Studio Headphones - 250 Ohms by Rish732
- › FiiO A1 Micro Headphone Amplifier by chef8489
- › Over Ear Headphones，Mixcder ShareMe Pro Bluetooth 4.1 Stereo HiFi... by B9Scrambler
- › DIGNIS LAETUS case for Chord Electronics Mojo by HiFiChris
- › Burson Audio Supreme Sound Opamp V5i by cleg
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...