I should be getting mine in a week or 2!
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- ALO The Continental Last post on 11/25/13 at 2:13pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- FIRST DEDICATED HEADPHONE RIG Last post on 3/19/11 at 8:30am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- WOO WA22 with LCD-2, Grado1000i, HD800, GradoRS1i Last post on 3/12/11 at 5:27pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Solid State Vet Wants To Try Tubes For The HD 800 and T1!! Last post on 4/8/12 at 8:25pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amp for Grado Rs1i(probably hd650 or hd800 or LCD2 in the future) Last post on 12/8/10 at 6:55pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/8/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 11/28/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 12/5/14
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
Thanks to Luke (H20Fidelity) for letting me a part of the Australian leg of the COZOY DAC/Amp tour and for Igor (DJScope) for the personal delivery, no doubt due to him enjoying the unit so much...
This review is for the Linum Bax 2-Pin, Bax IEM and headphone cables. Let me introduce myself my name is Adam, I live in the states between Philadelphia and New York City. I have been into audio...
Havi B3 Pro 1 - Pictorial Review Let me start by saying that ......the purchase of B3Pro1 has been long time coming ever since introduced by bhazard in the Chinese thread early last year...
I have posted a more detailed review on my blog with hi resolution pictures. http://blog.hyperexpert.com/audio-technica-at-pha50bt-first-impressions-and-review/ I stumbled upon Audio Technica’s...
My impressions is that these don’t sound significantly different than the cheaper SP version in terms of sound signature. The biggest difference is detail, more extended highs and smoother mid. If...
DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions - Page 86post #1276 of 225711/30/13 at 6:54pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #1277 of 225711/30/13 at 6:56pmpost #1278 of 225711/30/13 at 7:03pm
I know! just in time of Xmas! only thing is I am gonna drive to New England from DC to vista my and wife's family for the holidays. Maybe I will bring the Stratus along!!! You enjoy Audioclyde!post #1279 of 225711/30/13 at 8:53pmpost #1280 of 225712/1/13 at 5:26ampost #1281 of 225712/1/13 at 4:18pmQuote:Originally Posted by Audioclyde
I've spent considerable holiday time listening to my headphone setup with the Stratus installed. Of course there may be some of the 'new toy' effect working here, but I'm now enjoying listening to my headphones just as much or more than my speaker setup; in the past, I much preferred my speaker setup.
I also got the Placette remove volume control installed. Going direct from the DAC to the Placette then to the Stratus cured the slight noise issue I had when trying to use my preamp's remote volume control; however, I felt like the sound lost some weight or body. My Calyspo pre allows you to set any input to 'unity gain' or bypass mode; so I did this and now have the DAC feeding the 'bypass mode' input on the pre, then from the preamp's outputs to the Placette, with the Placette feeding the Stratus. Maybe I just like lots of tubes, but I like the sound much better this way, and I have absolutely no noise (and this is with the Stratus' volume control turned all the way up, so that it is basically out of the signal path), and still have remote control of volume. Happy camper here !!
The Stratus is a real gem, IMHO!!
What are you hearing that you like more than running the Stratus straight from your Dac? My guess is more distortion, which adds "colorations". If you want color, the Eddie Current Super 6 may have been a better choice, since it can be tuned/toned with the use of different 6SN7GT tubes. The Stratus is a very "honest" amp for an SET and, while changing the power and input tubes can add some color, it doesn't seem to have that big an effect on the amp's neutrality. Good luck with your set-up.post #1282 of 225712/2/13 at 3:51pm
I considered the EC amps; I am quite happy I went with the Stratus. I like the sound fine with the DAC feeding the Stratus directly; unfortunately I have to have remote volume control. The Placette does the job quite nicely; however, I much prefer the sound with the setup described above vs. going directly from the DAC to the Placette and on to the Stratus.
In my system, I've been able to discern the different characteristics/sounds imparted by different output tubes and rectifiers in the Stratus quite easily; I haven't noted nearly as big a difference rolling the input tube (although I haven't experimented much there yet).
I've had a fairly large group of very well thought of amps & preamps in my setup over the years; many that got great results on the test bench, but didn't sound like music to me. I long ago concluded that I'm not interested if a component is dead neutral--what matters is whether I like the sound, and whether it sounds like real, natural music to me. I would suggest if you are concerned about distortions or colorations, maybe you shouldn't be listening to a SET at all; yes the Stratus is quite honest, but it does sound like a SET amp to me--as it should, and as I was looking for.
My concern with posts such as your is that someone may not read this entire thread, or worse yet, part of the post gets quoted elsewhere on the internet (with no real context, etc.), and lead a reader to the conclusion that the Stratus doesn't deliver the magnificent SET sound that it does. IMHO, when we post without any real knowledge of another person's experience, listening bias, setup, etc., we can too easily provide the basis for quite erroneous conclusions, even if we don't intend to do so.
Thanks and enjoy!
Randypost #1283 of 225712/2/13 at 5:19pmpost #1284 of 225712/4/13 at 8:04pmpost #1285 of 225712/4/13 at 8:06pmpost #1286 of 225712/4/13 at 10:20pmpost #1287 of 225712/5/13 at 3:47ampost #1288 of 225712/5/13 at 3:52ampost #1289 of 225712/5/13 at 11:00ampost #1290 of 225712/5/13 at 11:35am
This may not be the right forum, but has anyone had a chance to compare the Stratus with the Woo WA5? Both DHT SE amps. I had a chance to listen to both at the last NY meet, and both sounded great, but it was difficult to suss out differences with different sources, music, crowd noise, etc.
- DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › SONY NW-ZX2 HI-END DAP 6 seconds ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 45 seconds ago
- › The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B,... 50 seconds ago
- › 6SN7 Tube Addicts 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 1 minute ago
- › AK 240 Stainless Steel Edition is The Best AK 240 Ever Made like... 2 minutes ago
- › O2 AMP + ODAC 2 minutes ago
- › Grado e Series 3 minutes ago
- › New from Garage1217, the solid-state Project Polaris! 4 minutes ago
- › 2015 vsonic iem lineup VSD2, VSD7, VSD9 4 minutes ago
- › Cozoy Astrapi by Xtralglactic
- › Linum 2Pin Detachable Connector - BaX Dual Twist Model by acain
- › Havi B3 Pro 1 by Wokei
- › Audio Technica AT-PHA50BT by unknownsolo
- › Sennheiser HD 25-1 II Professional Headphone by kite7
- › Sennheiser IE80 by ahnvx
- › AKG K 702 Headphones by ExCelciuS
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by vaziyetu
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by xsk3l3t0rx
- › Audio Technica ATH-IM02 balanced amature inner earphone by ahnvx
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2