Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › FLAC vs Apple LossLess
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

FLAC vs Apple LossLess - Page 7  

post #91 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post


 I know it "shouldn't" but in comparison to ASIO to my ears they are noticebly different in presentation with WASAPI being fuller sounding, warmer with the treble not being as prominent. This is on my DACport LX in bit for bit mode.

Might be the way it's interacting with the hardware. At least you have ASIO working..many people can't because of related outboard gear.Does your computer volume control work with ASIO?

post #92 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvandyk View Post

Might be the way it's interacting with the hardware. At least you have ASIO working..many people can't because of related outboard gear.Does your computer volume control work with ASIO?


Well to be honest I had issues with ASIO on Foobar big time. Then magically it started working.... Still I just don't like the sound I get from Foobar (although Foobar is amazing for converting and unpacking Cue files, particularly high resolution files). It's just not as engaging as Media Monkey (the mids most notably). The manual volume control is handy although that really isn't bit for bit (at least that is a requirement of bit for bit so I thought) if you have volume control.

 

In Media monkey using Asio or Wasapi in bit for bit means no volume control via the program. You have to have a good amp to attenuate the sound. Strangely enough cPlay sounds the best to my ears but is pretty bare bones & sometimes a little clunky if you are switching between tracks fast (this is due to fully unzipping the FLAC into a WAV file and loading it into cache before music playback). I think issues can arise with Asio if your DAC doesn't have it's own driver. My DACport LX has it's own custom driver from CEntrance. I don't use the Asio driver but just use the Asio plug in that I added to Media Monkey.


Edited by lee730 - 11/15/12 at 9:57pm
post #93 of 149

Here's a good article/website>

http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/SW/Players/MC14/MC_Wasapi.htm

 

A little dated as it refers to JRiver version 15 but lots of good info

post #94 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Flower View Post

No, most portable devices these days are Android phones. If you bought a crippled Apple device then you have to live with it, but the rest of us don't. ;)

Speak the truth brother! There are at least 10x as many Android Users as there are Apple Users... WHY because Androids are Sold in China [like teh Galaxy S3] and well I think Apple is mostly in the States and the EU a little

 

The point... there are more Flac Users than Alac users... and it will ALWAYS be like that... because there are more people in Asia than in the EU and US combined...

 

Plus, Flac sounds so much cooler than Alac... Alac makes me think of the "Affilac Insurance Duck" and I don't want to thinking of a HONKING duck when I want to listen to my lossless music <3

post #95 of 149

ALAC sounds way cooler! = ) Well I'm not changing now, I have almost 400 albums ripped as ALAC...

post #96 of 149

I don't use iTunes, but I still rip in ALAC so I can easily put music on my iPod 5.5g. I don't really want to have multiple versions of all my tracks

post #97 of 149

Once you go FLAC you never go back ;).
 

post #98 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post

Once you go FLAC you never go back ;).
 

awwwwwwwwwwwwwww yea baby. Speaking the truth! 

post #99 of 149

I went back from FLAC to LAME mp3s.

 

*Runs*

post #100 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by anetode View Post

I went back from FLAC to LAME mp3s.

 

*Runs*


A lame choice lol ;) Joking.

post #101 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by anetode View Post

I went back from FLAC to LAME mp3s.

 

*Runs*

And the Hunt begins *pursues*

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post


A lame choice lol ;) Joking.

xD a very lame choice lol, although I listen to most of my Dub Step in 320kbs. Since it's dubstep all you need is that BASS... screw the highs and the mids lol. But ironically my DnB is Lossless only... like most of my music e.e 

post #102 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by anetode View Post

I went back from FLAC to LAME mp3s.

 

*Runs*

I rip my CD's to FLAC, but my DAP's all get high-bitrate lossy tunes.....LAME MP3 mostly, with a few AAC and Ogg Vorbis tunes here and there. I don't mind having multiple versions of the tracks....my FLACs sit on an external hard drive, and all the lossy conversions are on the internal drive with the other lossy files. 

post #103 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achmedisdead View Post

I rip my CD's to FLAC, but my DAP's all get high-bitrate lossy tunes.....LAME MP3 mostly, with a few AAC and Ogg Vorbis tunes here and there. I don't mind having multiple versions of the tracks....my FLACs sit on an external hard drive, and all the lossy conversions are on the internal drive with the other lossy files. 

Yea my Zune is that way, I have a Lossy and Lossess DAP. I want to get a Cowon  as my next Lossy Dap! 

post #104 of 149

Hi just jumping in, not sure if should start new thread? if so please advise.

 

I have just started down the path of Computer audio to listen to my mostly Classical and Jazz CD collection. I ripped the majority of my cds originally to m4a in itunes, then imported that library into J River Media 17 and have recently been re formatting m4a into ape.

 

My question, would it be better to re rip from cd directly into ape or some other format or just continue re formatting from m4a? Seems m4a being compressed wont have same amount of data as original cd?

 

Thanks for any advice.

post #105 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by HayU View Post

Hi just jumping in, not sure if should start new thread? if so please advise.

 

I have just started down the path of Computer audio to listen to my mostly Classical and Jazz CD collection. I ripped the majority of my cds originally to m4a in itunes, then imported that library into J River Media 17 and have recently been re formatting m4a into ape.

 

My question, would it be better to re rip from cd directly into ape or some other format or just continue re formatting from m4a? Seems m4a being compressed wont have same amount of data as original cd?

 

Thanks for any advice.

Start over, ripping into either FLAC or ALAC. Your m4a stuff is not worth converting to APE, that just makes a bigger file with the same quality. L3000.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Music
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › FLAC vs Apple LossLess