Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum) › Here's what I've got: now, recommend a cable for my HD650's!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Here's what I've got: now, recommend a cable for my HD650's! - Page 3

post #31 of 87
Thread Starter 
zeplin,

The concern i was talking about is exactly this: That you said (as has just about everyone) that the fit of the Zu's connectors is so tight that once they're in, they're in for good. Yet directly on Zu's website it says:
Maintenance
Our unplated pure copper pins provide unparalleled performance but do require occasional cleaning. We recommend you clean them once a year if you live in a dry climate and every six if not. The performance gained from our unplated pins is worth the bit of work required. More frequent cleaning is usually not required and more than necessary wont degrade performance......


If they're so hard to snap in, does this mean that you'd have to *gasp* take them out and do this cleaning every year (or more)? That sounds a little risky to me. Has anyone done this yet?
post #32 of 87
xaipemw,
sorry about me not being clear enough. let me re-word the plug fitting issue a little bit...

they are really a tight fit, but when i said they won't be coming out, i meant they have less of a chance to come out when you, for ex, step on the cable. they surely can be pulled out again and again for whatever reason...like cleaning the plugs. and after the first time you actually shove them in there, every time after that becomes a little easier. so pluging them back in is never as hard as it was the first time around. i just pulled them out myself to make sure my assertion was a correct one, and they went right back in with a little force...again, not near as much force as i had to use the first time.
so, when we say they're in there for good, we just mean they're in there much tighter compared to other cables that slip in/out more easily

hope this answers your question. and i hope this was your last concern before diving into the world of the Zu.
wow, that was a dumb line
but seriously, give em a shot, what do you have to lose, other than the shipping cost??

post #33 of 87

Ordered Zu Mobius

Well, I ordered the Zu Mobius cables. Some here think they won't help with my set up and some think they will make my set up sound worse. I want to hear for myself. They have a 60 day money back guarantee. And they look cool.

The difficulty with this gear is that it's not easy to try before you buy so how is a newguy to learn?
post #34 of 87
Thread Starter 

Re: Ordered Zu Mobius

Quote:
Originally posted by newguy
Well, I ordered the Zu Mobius cables. Some here think they won't help with my set up and some think they will make my set up sound worse. I want to hear for myself. They have a 60 day money back guarantee. And they look cool.

The difficulty with this gear is that it's not easy to try before you buy so how is a newguy to learn?
Hey, man, all the power to ya. And please let me (and all of us) know how they sound together!

You're totally right.. the problem is with a lot of these things (the perreaux, replacement cables, etc) we really don't always know what they sound like, so we buy blind. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't.

Let's hope that it does.

BTW... I just might order a Zu Mobius now... sheeeaaattt..... and I would need to get one that's practically the cost of my headphones! I want a 13 to 15 feet-long cable.. ouch for my wallet.....
post #35 of 87
newguy,
there is never any harm in upgrading your gear. even if you won't hear the full benefits now, you will one day when you do upgrade the other necessary things. the only bad part (for your wallet) is that if you continue to hang around head-fi, that day will come much sonner than you think

i kind of followed the same path by first starting out with very high end headphones used on a portable cd player (not to mention a crappy sounding one). so technically i followed the upgrade path in the opposite direction. but in the end, it all paid off, and man o man was it worth it!!! so don't sweat it...you'll probably notice at least some type of improvement on a number of your better recordings. i can't see anything wrong with that think of it as an audio quality investment!
post #36 of 87
Thanks for the replies. I actually cancelled my order for the Zu Mobius based on the reactions of the people here. No one seems to think I would hear a significant improvement. I wouldn't mind buying a CD player (not a $3000 one but one for $500) but the iPod is just so convenient. Would a $500 CD player sound a lot better than my iPod with my TAH and HD650s?

Thanks for everyone's help.
post #37 of 87
Quote:
Originally posted by newguy
Thanks for the replies. I actually cancelled my order for the Zu Mobius based on the reactions of the people here. No one seems to think I would hear a significant improvement. I wouldn't mind buying a CD player (not a $3000 one but one for $500) but the iPod is just so convenient. Would a $500 CD player sound a lot better than my iPod with my TAH and HD650s?

Thanks for everyone's help.
I promise you, if you take that 500.00 and buy a used Rega planet 2K, modified CD25, or any other good CDP you are going to hear a GIANT JUMP in sound quality. Buy used and stretch that 500.00 to the limit.
post #38 of 87
Thread Starter 
I just emailed Drew @ Moon Audio about the status of his Silver Dragon headphone cables. Unless he doesn't want me to post his response, which of course I'll respect, I'll post his answer here as soon as I get it. Personally, I'm thinking of also jumping in on the Zu Mobius bandwagon--hell, you people can't all be wrong!
post #39 of 87
I'm in the same boat, trying to figure out whether to get Moon Audio's Silver Dragon or Zu's Mobius. Here's my subjective opinion without being able to hear either of these.

Moon Audio Silver Dragon: http://www.moon-audio.com
Uses a pure silver conductor and comes in a standard length of 10 feet. Jacketed in red Techflex (doesn't really match with the headphones) and is apparently using standard senn jacks (there is no mention of them on the site) and is using a Cardas 1/4" plug. Apparently Moon Audio is sold out at the moment.

Looks: ***
Conductor Material: *****
Jacks: ***
Standard Length: *****
Availability:**
Plug:****

Zu Cable Mobius http://www.zucable.com
Uses a "hybrid" of silver and copper, usually a fancy way of saying silver plated copper, which is much cheaper than pure silver, comes in a standard "promo" length of 8 feet, less than the original Senn wire. Jacketed in silverish black sleeving all the way up to the headphones, uses proprietary headphone jacks
that require maintenance 1-2 times a year but fit more snuggly that existing plugs and are probably of a higher quality. The 1/4 plug appears to be a neutric which may not be of the same calibur as the Cardas used in the Moon. Currently highly available.

Looks: *****
Conductor Material:*** 1/2
Jacks: ****
Standard Length: *** 1/2
Availability: *****
Plug: ***

Had the Zu Cable been made of pure silver I would have went for it. Had the Silver Dragon looked more finished with a less obtrusive color I would have went for it. Due to the "shortcomings" of each cable I'm having a tough time making up my mind. But sometimes I think making up my mind is most entertaining part of the process.
post #40 of 87
Quote:
Originally posted by highflyin9
I'm in the same boat, trying to figure out whether to get Moon Audio's Silver Dragon or Zu's Mobius. Here's my subjective opinion without being able to hear either of these.

Moon Audio Silver Dragon: http://www.moon-audio.com
Uses a pure silver conductor and comes in a standard length of 10 feet. Jacketed in red Techflex (doesn't really match with the headphones) and is apparently using standard senn jacks (there is no mention of them on the site) and is using a Cardas 1/4" plug. Apparently Moon Audio is sold out at the moment.

Looks: ***
Conductor Material: *****
Jacks: ***
Standard Length: *****
Availability:**
Plug:****

Zu Cable Mobius http://www.zucable.com
Uses a "hybrid" of silver and copper, usually a fancy way of saying silver plated copper, which is much cheaper than pure silver, comes in a standard "promo" length of 8 feet, less than the original Senn wire. Jacketed in silverish black sleeving all the way up to the headphones, uses proprietary headphone jacks
that require maintenance 1-2 times a year but fit more snuggly that existing plugs and are probably of a higher quality. The 1/4 plug appears to be a neutric which may not be of the same calibur as the Cardas used in the Moon. Currently highly available.

Looks: *****
Conductor Material:*** 1/2
Jacks: ****
Standard Length: *** 1/2
Availability: *****
Plug: ***

Had the Zu Cable been made of pure silver I would have went for it. Had the Silver Dragon looked more finished with a less obtrusive color I would have went for it. Due to the "shortcomings" of each cable I'm having a tough time making up my mind. But sometimes I think making up my mind is most entertaining part of the process.
Two things you forgot to mention about the Zu cable.
1. It comes with a money back trial period.
2. It sounds sooooo perfect with the Senns.
post #41 of 87
I am very new with this gear and this list. But does it really matter what the cables are made of? Isn't the main concern the way they sound? And the only way to find that out is to listen to them and hear for yourself if they are worth the money.

Is it possible that the one that is less expensive to make sounds better than one that is more expensive to make?

Looking at this as a newguy it seems to me that all the specifications really aren't very important. It's like saying a car has this many horsepower etc. But how does it feel when you are behind the wheel.

I think it's possible to analyze too much. I sure wouldn't buy something like an expensive cable without a money back guaranty.
post #42 of 87
Quote:
Originally posted by tom hankins
Two things you forgot to mention about the Zu cable.
1. It comes with a money back trial period.
2. It sounds sooooo perfect with the Senns.
Good call on the trial, although both Moon and Zu offer a trial period, as any reputable cable maker should. Moon is 30 days wheras Zu is 60 days, although I would assume a month is enough time to make a decision, if not i guess the Zu gets a slight advantage here. I take it your a little partial to the Mobius Tom, have you heard the Silver Dragon yet? "Perfect" may be a little subjective to include in my post
post #43 of 87
Quote:
Originally posted by newguy
I am very new with this gear and this list. But does it really matter what the cables are made of? Isn't the main concern the way they sound? And the only way to find that out is to listen to them and hear for yourself if they are worth the money.

Is it possible that the one that is less expensive to make sounds better than one that is more expensive to make?

Looking at this as a newguy it seems to me that all the specifications really aren't very important. It's like saying a car has this many horsepower etc. But how does it feel when you are behind the wheel.

I think it's possible to analyze too much. I sure wouldn't buy something like an expensive cable without a money back guaranty.
In response to NewGuy, since no one has listened to both cables and compared them, we are left considering which one may be better based on what little fact we have. Even if person x likes the Zu's better, that really doesn't do anyone much good, all we are left with is a few concrete facts to make some subjective opinions. And often times, as much as we don't want to believe it, more expensive cables are generally better. Many people consider companies like Cardas to make some of the best cables, and not suprisingly they are very expensive. Companies like this have a budget for a lot of trial and error, wheras small companies may get lucky and put something together that sounds great for a low price but this is rare. Many people haven't even heard the Zu but they consider it to be on par with the Silver Dragon because they have similar price points.

Actually yes, many people consult a spec-sheet before they purchase a car, and horsepower is a concern, i'm not sure I can agree with you on that point.

This is a forum with headphone fans NewGuy, everyone analyzes too much! Just see the 100 page reviews
post #44 of 87
Thread Starter 

Drew's Response to my email

Hey everyone,

Well, since nothing Drew said seemed secretive, I'll post his email here in its entirety:

The first batch I made and offered for sale was basically a test run for the molds that make the connection to the headphone. The mold people
have been giving both me and Cardas a hard time about using different cables on the same mold. So we are working thru some issues with that. I
have made an order for a huge amount of silver wire so that the next run will enough to go around for everyone. I should have the mold issue
resolved in the next couple of weeks and hopefully the cables in full production in 60days. I may have an extra cable for sale in the coming weeks. I have some stragglers coming in from the first batch, but I'm not sure when.
Be patient they will be available sometime soon. They are worth the wait.
Thanx
Drew Baird
post #45 of 87
Quote:
Originally posted by highflyin9


Actually yes, many people consult a spec-sheet before they purchase a car, and horsepower is a concern, i'm not sure I can agree with you on that point.

This is a forum with headphone fans NewGuy, everyone analyzes too much! Just see the 100 page reviews
I look at spec sheets too but I also go for test drive. Wouldn't it be easier just to order the Zu and the Silver Moon and listen to both and return one? Most of the posts are from people who've heard neither or one of the products but not both.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum) › Here's what I've got: now, recommend a cable for my HD650's!