Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › If HD800 And T1 Are Overpriced, What Are The Cheaper Alternatives That Compete With These Two Flagship?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

If HD800 And T1 Are Overpriced, What Are The Cheaper Alternatives That Compete With These Two... - Page 2

post #16 of 81

No love for orthos? I think most would agree that the HE-500 ($699) and LCD-2 ($995) are in the same class as the flagship dynamics. Heck, in the $1500 setup thread, the HE-500/Lyr/Bitfrost seems to be the consensus way to get flagship SQ for minimal dollars. They undoubtedly do lose out in build quality and ergonomics against the Japanese and German top tier headphones though.

post #17 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by BournePerfect View Post

 

Well being as you can buy the HD800 for $1140 shipped worldwide from Meier Audio, I guess you now have no excuse. wink_face.gif

 

-Daniel

+1 if you like the hd800s because once you sit down with them they have a sound that no other headphone really has.

post #18 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve2151 View Post

No love for orthos? I think most would agree that the HE-500 ($699) and LCD-2 ($995) are in the same class as the flagship dynamics. Heck, in the $1500 setup thread, the HE-500/Lyr/Bitfrost seems to be the consensus way to get flagship SQ for minimal dollars. They undoubtedly do lose out in build quality and ergonomics against the Japanese and German top tier headphones though.

 

Never heard the LCD-2, but in my opinion the HE-500 is a few steps behind the HD800. 

post #19 of 81

I like the lcd2s but they lack alot of the detail of the t1s and hd800s

post #20 of 81
Want T1 sound? Get some DT880 600s, same sound signature and >90% of the SQ for 1/4 the price. Yeah, I've tested them back-to-back, it really is true.

HD800s? Try some Sony MDR-SA5000s. Very detailed, similar sound signature, also has huge soundstage/headstage.
post #21 of 81

The T1 and HD800s are light years beyond the DT 880 and K701. If you don't think so-quit playing them out of an E9 and show them some respect lol.

 

-Daniel

post #22 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by BournePerfect View Post

The T1 and HD800s are light years beyond the DT 880 and K701. If you don't think so-quit playing them out of an E9 and show them some respect lol.

-Daniel
No, the T1 isn't light years beyond the 880, at all. Such hyperbole is getting too common around Head-Fi. Are they better? Yes, they are. Are they worth the difference? That depends on your wallet. I have a decent amount of disposable income and I didn't think so. I spent a long time with both, compared them on a chain that even dwarfs mine, and that's the way they sound. I stand by what I said, fully.
post #23 of 81

Well, I think my HE-6 is very close to my HD 800 in terms of technicallities, but it's also one of the few orthos that's known for good treble extension.

 

The HD 800 has better soundstaging, imaging, and detail retrieval, but the HE-6 has more bass impact and amazing clarity. In this case, clarity != details, but rather a lack of grain. The HD 800 has less grain than any dynamic headphone I've heard, but the HE-6 still bests it in this area.

 

The HD 800 is better at classical, jazz, and female vocals, while the HE-6 is better at the mainstream stuff. Of course, the HE-6 costs just as much as the HD 800, so it's expected to be a solid competitor to the flagship Senn.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONIC BOOM View Post

I like the lcd2s but they lack alot of the detail of the t1s and hd800s

 

That's the problem with dark headphones. They sound very good in a vacuum, but can be boring if you A/B them with bright headphones. A colleague of mine uses reshelled TF10s as his daily beater and one day asked to audition my  Atrios. He listens to them for 20 minutes and starts wondering why the details went missing. To him, it was almost as if someone had eliminated all of the highs on the recording. 

post #24 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post


No, the T1 isn't light years beyond the 880, at all. Such hyperbole is getting too common around Head-Fi. Are they better? Yes, they are. Are they worth the difference? That depends on your wallet. I have a decent amount of disposable income and I didn't think so. I spent a long time with both, compared them on a chain that even dwarfs mine, and that's the way they sound. I stand by what I said, fully.

 

I personally found the T1 to be "light years beyond" the 880/600. That's a subjective measure on every single level, of course...

post #25 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve2151 View Post

That's the problem with dark headphones. They sound very good in a vacuum, but can be boring if you A/B them with bright headphones. A colleague of mine uses reshelled TF10s as his daily beater and one day asked to audition my  Atrios. He listens to them for 20 minutes and starts wondering why the details went missing. To him, it was almost as if someone had eliminated all of the highs on the recording. 

   yep

post #26 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olias of Sunhillow View Post

 

I personally found the T1 to be "light years beyond" the 880/600. That's a subjective measure on every single level, of course...

 

The price difference between the T1 and 880/600 is about $800. That's a lot of money, but I'm of the opinion that a $800 upgrade to your main headphone generally goes further than a $800 upgrade  to your dac/amp chain.

 

Of course, you could save a pile of money and buy an ortho instead. The HE-6 does have a more consistent sound signature across amplifiers than the the HD 800/T1 and will sound good as long you feed it lots of clean watts. Someone wanted to try feeding his HE-6 with a $219 speaker amp (http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/amplifiers/products/a100) wired up with a cheap speaker post to 4 pin XLR converter. Meanwhile, over in the HD 800 thread, they're talking about thousand dollar tube amps and dacs that cost just as much.

post #27 of 81

Although I can't comment on the DT880/600 vs T1 conversation, I have owned both the DT990/600 and currently own the T1. I did some A/B testing when I first bought my T1 to justify the expense as I was going to return it if I couldn't hear legitimate differences. I've sold my DT990's and use my T1's every day now... (To be more detailed on the comparison, I actually preferred the comfort to some extent on the 990 as well as I felt the bass was a bit punchier. The treble on the 990 was a bit brighter (con) and it clearly lacked a lot of detail, accuracy, and soundstage. I noticed a very clear difference between the two on any track that I listened to. Are these night/day differences? No. However, if you are listening for detail or accuracy it is very obvious which one is superior... I've found that the T1's rarely AMAZE me like most of the audio reviews would make you think... I'm never WOWed by them... but I've yet to hear any genre or piece that the T1 doesn't handle and handle very well. It really gets out of the way and just lets the recording shine....)

 

Now the question of is the T1 worth the increased price over the DT series? Well only you can determine the value aspect for yourself. I've now invested an additional 2-3k in an amp, dec, tubes, IC's, etc. to improve performance even further. Was it necessary? No. I still use a Valhalla/Bifrost in my bedroom setup and it is clearly inferior but still sounds great. The DT series on sale for around $200-$250 is a fairly good price and has a good price to performance ratio IMO. You can get the T1 for $1,000 shipped brand new if you e-mail around as many shops are willing to sell of MAP to you... Do I believe they are worth 1k to me? No... but really, I doubt any headphone is worth 1k to me. I haven't heard the HD800 or LCD2 but I would love to... but it's just not worth the additional investment to me. For me, I'm now looking into a nice high efficiency radial speaker setup powered with tubes. We'll see how much further this rabbit hole goes... :P

 

To answer your actual initial question regarding what headphones in that price range come close to that sound.... I'd say no dynamic headphones really do. There are some great headphones in the <$500 category though that offer fantastic Price/Performance ratio.

 

Best of luck!

post #28 of 81

Try Stax SR404 + SRM T1 tube amp. Around USD1000-1200 for the headphone and amp. IMO the combo is better than the HD800/T1, plus you need an amplifier for the other two headphones.

 

I got them used at around ~USD1200 mint condition. You might need to add a source though, which adds to your expenses. :(

post #29 of 81

if you go with the hifimans I prefer the he5 too the 6

post #30 of 81

A Porsche can be 2 to 3 times the price of a Hyundai but some of the Hyundai's can be a match to the Porsche in terms of horsepower figures alone. But when you talk about the driving excitement between a Porsche and a Hyundai, the Porsche is worth every penny of its asking price. Just an analogy. My point is, when you are reaching the upper levels of performance, it takes more effort (and cost) to squeeze out every last drop of performance you can get out of a product.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › If HD800 And T1 Are Overpriced, What Are The Cheaper Alternatives That Compete With These Two Flagship?