I just received my AKG K550 and FiiO E17 today. I just want to ask, what does gain really do? Aside from making the volume a little bit louder.. Are there any stuff aside from that that the gain gives?
- productAKG K 550tagged by System, 6/1/12
- productFiiO E17tagged by System, 6/1/12
- productFiiO E9 Desktop Headphone Amplifier and Dock for E7 USB DACtagged by System, 6/1/12
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 6/1/12
- categoryPortable Ampstagged by System, 6/1/12
Related Forum Threads
- Fiio E17 does not seem to make a difference to audio experience Last post on 6/30/12 at 8:05pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Would like a recommended amp for a pair of beats by dre tour and akg k550 Last post on 6/18/12 at 4:41pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Fiio e17 problem Last post on 6/19/12 at 7:24pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Got the Sennheiser 600, now looking for closed headphones. AKG 550 good choice? Last post on 5/27/13 at 12:30pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Would purchasing a headphone amp just for Spotify make a difference? Last post on 11/30/12 at 1:50am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/28/14
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Let me preface this review by explaining the issue I was dealing with. I have always experienced digital noise from, I'm assuming, my poorly grounded laptop. It didn't matter if I used the...
Build quality and comfort: Headband pad is a little too firm, may need break in. Initially putting them on, the headband is feeling is evidently there but with time it slowly disappears....
Introduction I initially caught wind of Flare Audio and their offerings through a friend's Facebook post. Cutting a long story short I clicked the link and with each detail I read became more...
Love this pair of headphones. Huge sound stage. Great for classical music. The bass is not shabby and is good enough to enjoy Coldplays Viva la Vida. Of course comprable amplifiers are necessry...
I had these a while back and found them to be pretty good alas they did have a couple things that spoiled them. Comfort: Finding the best earbuds took a bit of time. Although once you did,...
FiiO E17.. What does gain really do?post #1 of 65/9/12 at 1:38amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 65/9/12 at 4:14ampost #3 of 65/9/12 at 4:22ampost #4 of 65/9/12 at 4:42amThread Starterpost #5 of 65/28/12 at 8:32am
Should gain be used if the volume is high enough without? I.e is it better to have volume "lower" with a higher gain, or not touch gain and put the volume higher?
(Currently using the E17 with E9 and a pair of HD650)post #6 of 65/28/12 at 8:39am
their is digital gain like the type on the side of a graphic eq, if you turn it up too much it may distort. Digital gain is different to the gain you typically use when turning up the volume button/knob on the side of your device. Turning up the knob/button is usually pretty safe to turn up.
Edited by Matt head 777 - 5/28/12 at 8:41am
- FiiO E17.. What does gain really do?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 36 seconds ago
- › Headphone Sightings 2 1 minute ago
- › Three Word Story 2 minutes ago
- › Philips SHP9500 Discussion Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Astell&Kern AK380 2 minutes ago
- › "The Lab" 2 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 3 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 3 minutes ago
- › Sony Walkman NWZ-A17 4 minutes ago
- › Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread 5 minutes ago
- › Wyrd USB Decrapifier by tyco
- › Sony MDR-MA900 Over the Head Style Headphones by kite7
- › Flare Audio R2Pro Earphones by dnun8086
- › Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro 250 OHM Semi-open reference headphone by Chiek
- › Sennheiser CX 880 Premium Ear Canal Headphones by interpolate
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by Paulus XII
- › MKLL M-1 in-ear monitor by Hisoundfi
- › OPPO PM-3 by Za Warudo
- › DUNU DN-2000J by Brooko
- › Null Audio Vitesse Copper Cable by MikePortnoy
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2