Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Help! Can't decide between Denon D2000 and AKG K550 !
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Help! Can't decide between Denon D2000 and AKG K550 ! - Page 2

post #16 of 32
Thread Starter 

Ok and if I tell you that one of the things I need is to be able to hide noises at work. Some people here can make too much noise and I need to put my headphones to keep my concentration. Do you think that the isolation of the D2000 is enough ?

post #17 of 32

Well, I've tried the AH-D2000 and to tell you the truth, my head falls on the big side. Simply, they were too big for me! Maybe the store sample was like this, I do not know. They certainly have big cups that cannot make a seal as good (read: almost nonexistent) as the AH-D1100 can. The D2000 lacks bass as opposed to the D1100; having in mind your preferences that is a good thing. However, there is the proper seal issue... they do not clamp with enough force, I'm afraid.

 

You could try to get a hold of a pair at a store and see for yourself. What I do is that I go to a nearby (expensive) audio store and try their gear; then I get what I picked there online for -30% the RRP :)


Edited by horizon21 - 5/9/12 at 11:25am
post #18 of 32
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by horizon21 View Post

Well, I've tried the AH-D2000 and to tell you the truth, my head falls on the big side. Simply, they were too big for me! Maybe the store sample was like this, I do not know. They certainly have big cups that cannot make a seal as good (read: almost nonexistent) as the AH-D1100 can. The D2000 lacks bass as opposed to the D1100; having in mind your preferences that is a good thing. However, there is the proper seal issue... they do not clamp with enough force, I'm afraid.

 

You could try to get a hold of a pair at a store and see for yourself. What I do is that I go to a nearby (expensive) audio store and try their gear; then I get what I picked there online for -30% the RRP :)

 

So you think I should go with the AKG. Am I right ? 

post #19 of 32

Well the Denons dont really let sound in, they leak it out, in spades

post #20 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by philippea View Post

Ok and if I tell you that one of the things I need is to be able to hide noises at work. Some people here can make too much noise and I need to put my headphones to keep my concentration. Do you think that the isolation of the D2000 is enough ?

 

Depends on how noisy your environment is. I don't think the D2000 isolates well. It leaks too much for cubicle use IMO. I wouldn't ever use mine at work. 

 

So if isolation (both in and out) is important, I'd say get the K550. That's what I use at the office. 

 

I haven't done a direct A/B back-n-forth comparison between the two since they're in different locations, but I like the AKG more than the Denon. I find vocals sound "sweeter" on the K550. Generally speaking, I find the K550 more involving than the D2000. I use the D2000 primarily as a change of pace from the HD650.

 

If I had to choose to keep only one, it'd be the K550.

 

Best of luck with your decision.

post #21 of 32
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by horizon21 View Post

You could try to get a hold of a pair at a store and see for yourself. What I do is that I go to a nearby (expensive) audio store and try their gear; then I get what I picked there online for -30% the RRP :)

 

Good idea ;) And what are your favorite online stores ? Is it ok to ask ? ;)

post #22 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by philippea View Post

 

Good idea ;) And what are your favorite online stores ? Is it ok to ask ? ;)

Amazon is my number one recommendation for almost everything, because what you do not like - you return with no questions asked (for free!). Alternative - use google product search and try to choose a store with not only good prices but some positive reviews (to make sure it's not a scam).

 

P.S. If you live in the states, I'd visit BestBuy or Radioshack(too limited choice?) and just try similarly priced models of phones. Inevitably, there will be a "best" one. I find that with expensive goods it's best to try for yourself rather than go all in and be disappointed afterwards (Panasonic HTF600 comes to mind...)


Edited by horizon21 - 5/9/12 at 4:45pm
post #23 of 32
Thread Starter 

Thanks for your advices !

 

I live in Canada so no amazon.com for me :(

And amazon.ca does not have as much stuff than amazon.com.

 

So I think I it will be Google :)

 

And finally, I really think I will go with the AKG K550.

I know a place who sell them at 299$, but I think I can make drop the price a little bit.

 

Maybe someone could try to make me change my mind one more time ? ;)

post #24 of 32

The Denon's are being discontinued now so you can sell the D2000 for more later, next time you want to upgrade.

post #25 of 32
Thread Starter 

For those who have the D2000, do you think my coworker who sit about 5 foot at my right will be able to hear the leak ?

post #26 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by philippea View Post

For those who have the D2000, do you think my coworker who sit about 5 foot at my right will be able to hear the leak ?

Jip, try 10 feet at a decent volume level, I have managed it more then once

post #27 of 32
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiR3D View Post

Jip, try 10 feet at a decent volume level, I have managed it more then once

Hmmm I'm not sure what "Jip" means ;) Sorry I'm not 100% bilingual. My first language is french ;)

 

You are saying that the leak will be heard at 5 foot ?

post #28 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by philippea View Post

Hmmm I'm not sure what "Jip" means ;) Sorry I'm not 100% bilingual. My first language is french ;)

 

You are saying that the leak will be heard at 5 foot ?

oui

post #29 of 32
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiR3D View Post

oui

Haha ! Merci beaucoup :)

post #30 of 32
Thread Starter 

Ok so here is what I think. In my heart I think I would go with the Denon D2000, but because I will use them at work and need a good isolation and no leak, I think I have no choice but to go with the AKG K550. Feel free to comment if you think I'm wrong ;) Maybe there is an alternative of the K550 in the same price range ?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Help! Can't decide between Denon D2000 and AKG K550 !