Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Help! Can't decide between Denon D2000 and AKG K550 !
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Help! Can't decide between Denon D2000 and AKG K550 !

post #1 of 32
Thread Starter 
Hello everyone!
 
I need some help to choose between the Denon D2000 and AKG K550. I read a ton of stuff about them and it only makes the decision even more difficult.
 
Here is some details that could help. I had Grados SR60 that I loved but I had to let them go due to lack of isolation. I now have Denon D1100 but I'm tired of all this bass. I am looking for a detailed, realistic and natural sound. I listen to a lot of rock, folk, indie rock, folk rock and indie pop.
 
Please help me!! Thanksssss ;)
post #2 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by philippea View Post
Hello everyone!
I need some help to choose between the Denon D2000 and AKG K550. I read a ton of stuff about them and it only makes the decision even more difficult.
Here is some details that could help. I had Grados SR60 that I loved but I had to let them go due to lack of isolation. I now have Denon D1100 but I'm tired of all this bass. I am looking for a detailed, realistic and natural sound. I listen to a lot of rock, folk, indie rock, folk rock and indie pop.
Please help me!! Thanksssss ;)

My two cents.

Get the AKG K550.

post #3 of 32

Sounds like you're leaning towards the K550. It supposedly has more isolation and less bass than a D2000.

post #4 of 32

550's will isolate a lot more than the Denons.
 

post #5 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryFatKidGT View Post

550's will isolate a lot more than the Denons.
 

True, but I'd still take the d2k every time...

post #6 of 32
Thread Starter 
Ok. And if I tell you that I don't need as much isolation as the AKG, and that I just need less bass than the Denon D1100, is the AKG still a better choice for the kind of music I like ?
post #7 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by philippea View Post
I need some help to choose between the Denon D2000 and AKG K550. I read a ton of stuff about them and it only makes the decision even more difficult.
 

What headphone amp or equivalent are you using to drive your headphones? The choice of headphone to get is highly dependent on the ability of your existing headphone driver to actually do justice to the headphone and deliver the goods.

post #8 of 32
Thread Starter 
I have a Fiio E10.
post #9 of 32

I find amping to be overrated/focused on far too much in most cases, especially when we're talking about the D2000

post #10 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathDomokun View Post

I find amping to be overrated/focused on far too much in most cases, especially when we're talking about the D2000

Amping yes, but a good dac makes the world of difference with it, not that it will sound bad, but with a good dac the D2k sounds great.

 

from what I read the K550 is more suited to your music preferences, the D2k is known for its bass, which IMO is there when you need it and not otherwise, unlike what i read about the D1100.

 

I don't own the K550 so I cant comment on the amping, but I have owned and loved my D2000 for 2 years, and will answer any questions you may have. Just be warned if you with to upgrade your amp with it, make sure it has a really low impedance output, because if it doesnt then the bass gets emphasized and muddied and the highs become too much.

post #11 of 32
Thread Starter 

Just got the E10 so no upgrade for now ;)

 

Ahhhhh !!! If only I could buy both of them !!! The AKG at work and the Denon at home. That would be so perfect !!! Anybody can give me some money ;)

 

I think both headphones are really great. Maybe I should go with the better isolation... I will mostly use them at work so...

 

I want to hear the bass like it's supposed to be heared. I want the better sound reproduction possible for the price.

post #12 of 32
Before shedding more cash, would you like to try a simple mod for bass reduction?

Refer to this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/580669/denon-ah-d1100-modding
Edited by horizon21 - 5/9/12 at 7:36am
post #13 of 32
Thread Starter 

A mod for the D1100 ? Maybe... it depends how difficult it is.

post #14 of 32
Thread Starter 

Oups did not see the link. Thanks for that. Really interesting and simple.

 

But now that I spent a lot of time searching for what could be the next upgrade, I think I will sell my D1100 and go for Denon or AKG.

 

But I think I could try the mod, just for fun :)

post #15 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by philippea View Post

Oups did not see the link. Thanks for that. Really interesting and simple.

 

But now that I spent a lot of time searching for what could be the next upgrade, I think I will sell my D1100 and go for Denon or AKG.

 

But I think I could try the mod, just for fun :)


The Denon is a safe buy, it's recommended often for a reason, but it is bass heavy, not very but it is there. I doubt it will be a problem.

Oh and the cable could last a world war, it's very office chair proof
Sent from my HTC HD2 using Tapatalk 2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Help! Can't decide between Denon D2000 and AKG K550 !