Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Schiit Bifrost or DACMagic Plus?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Schiit Bifrost or DACMagic Plus?

post #1 of 51
Thread Starter 

My price range is between £300-350 and these two are more or less perfectly inside that region, if anyone has any other suggestions feel free to say so.

 

But which out of these two is the better DAC? I'll be using optical or coax from my PC.

post #2 of 51

same question here, any advice?

post #3 of 51
I would go the BiFrost route. It also has the "potential" for future upgrades, pending the long-term support of Schiit of course.
post #4 of 51
post #5 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunk View Post

I would go the BiFrost route. It also has the "potential" for future upgrades, pending the long-term support of Schiit of course.

 

is the BiFrost adaptable to power xlr monitors?

post #6 of 51

I have both the ODAC and Bifrost and I can say that they are both very very good DACs especially at their price points

 

Can't go wrong with either.  CHoose based on your budget
 

post #7 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by deniall View Post

ODAC?

 

http://www.jdslabs.com/item.php?fetchitem=39

The ODAC does not feature line ouput.

post #8 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by aphinity View Post

 

is the BiFrost adaptable to power xlr monitors?

 

You can always buy RCA to XLR cables.  Keep in mind that the DACMagic Plus has variable line output (to control volume) while the Bitfrost does not.

post #9 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac336 View Post

I have both the ODAC and Bifrost and I can say that they are both very very good DACs especially at their price points

 

Can't go wrong with either.  CHoose based on your budget
 

 

Have you tried the ODAC + schitt lyr combi? Would love some feedback on it..

post #10 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauricio View Post

The ODAC does not feature line output.

 

From the JDS Labs description :

 

"In Standalone Case - ODAC installed in its own aluminum case. Ready to use with any headphone amplifier (will not directly drive headphones). 3.5mm line output. Powered by included USB cable."

 

If you don't want to use a 3.5 mm to RCA, you can buy just the assembled board, and run line outputs from the headers on the pcb in whichever case you decide to use it in.

post #11 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow419 View Post

 

From the JDS Labs description :

 

"In Standalone Case - ODAC installed in its own aluminum case. Ready to use with any headphone amplifier (will not directly drive headphones). 3.5mm line output. Powered by included USB cable."

 

If you don't want to use a 3.5 mm to RCA, you can buy just the assembled board, and run line outputs from the headers on the pcb in whichever case you decide to use it in.

 

Is there any audio degradation when a 3.5mm to RCA is used to connect the DAC to the amp?

post #12 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by underhysteria View Post

 

Have you tried the ODAC + schitt lyr combi? Would love some feedback on it..


Yes.  I think it is a great pairing listening to them with my HE-500s.  ODAC sounded similar to bifrost, almost just as good. 

post #13 of 51

Sorry, my bad.  I confused the headphone out with the line out.  Of course, the ODAC, most DACs will have a line out.

post #14 of 51

edited


Edited by brainbucket - 6/13/12 at 1:44am
post #15 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by underhysteria View Post

 

Is there any audio degradation when a 3.5mm to RCA is used to connect the DAC to the amp?

 

shouldn't be, nothing changes other than the physical cable plugs.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Schiit Bifrost or DACMagic Plus?