Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Now in 2012, Do HiFiMan Re0 still worth to buy?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Now in 2012, Do HiFiMan Re0 still worth to buy? - Page 4

post #46 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardKing1 View Post

And the DBA-02 is supposed to beat all 3, but I haven't tried it so I don't really know. I'll agree that the RE-0's strong point isn't to be the best analytical IEM, but the best for its price. It's almost always compared to models a lot more expensive. And yes, the build quality is a huge issue that should really be addressed.

 

I owned DBA-02 as well and while it is good, it is lagging behind PFE or Ety HF series in sound quality in my opinion. The main problem with DBA-02 in my view is its compressed dynamic range. However, I also found DBA-02 a bit bloated in the low end compared to the Etys and even PFE. Detail on DBA-02 is also not exactly great, although the compressed dynamics can make them seem more detailed than they really are. In reality, PFE resolves more, and HF resolve even more IMO. In bass definition ER4 series > HF series >> PFE > DBA-02 in order from best to worst IMO. In dynamic range from best to worst: PFE > HF >> DBA-02. In detail resolution from most resolving to least: HF > PFE > DBA-02. Just my 2 cents of course and its being a while since I heard DBA-02.

 

BTW, I also prefer RE0 to DBA-02 for analytical listening and overall I really can't think of much that DBA-02 does better, except for soundstage. I think RE0 has tighter bass, better highs, slightly better dynamics (acceptable, while DBA-02 was just too compressed for me), and a smoother, more natural sound overall.


Edited by Pianist - 5/11/12 at 7:31pm
post #47 of 64

Interesting, I never really considered the HF series because I always heard they crossed the line from 'neutral' into 'bright', being a pure BA. The main struggle in my head has been between the DBA-02 MKII vs PFE 112.

post #48 of 64
Thread Starter 

is it possible for re-zero to have TRS instead of TRRS? I just bought an used one online, the dealer said it came with his 601 as a bundle.

post #49 of 64

It has two different TRRS-to-TRS adapters, one is an actual adapter like a block you put at the end of the cable, the other is a 2-inch extension. I use the block.

post #50 of 64

In summary, i would buy the re0 again, but below is my experiences with it:

 

I bought the re0 in March 2012 and loved the sound.  I did not treat them well, used it practically everyday and often shoved into my pocket. They went into the washing machine twice.  The first time they came out fine and i was pretty impressed with the build quality. The second time they went into the wash it still came out fine, but a few weeks later, the cable for the left channel cuts out.  I have to twist the cable to the right position to get sound near the earphone end. I think overall, if i had treated them better they would have lasted longer, but in my case they lasted about 6 months of daily use (well mon-fri).  

 

 

I loved the sound so much, and my re262 i keep at home and treat very carefully.  Also because i cant be bothered with carrying a portable amp for the re262 so they stay at home.  At the time my re0 broke, they sold the re0 for $49 and re-zero for $59 so i bought both in mid October.  I did not open my new re0 (keeping it as a backup in case i have anymore quality issues) and am now using the re-zero daily.  I like the re-zero sound slightly more but both are very similar (finding the re-zero slightly more fatiguing).

 

Looking at the head direct site today, seems the re-zero sold out, but the re0 is still available for $49. I find it hard to imagine at that price the re0 can be beat. Even if it only lasts 6 months, and im sure with proper care they would last much longer.

post #51 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydralisk01 View Post

In summary, i would buy the re0 again, but below is my experiences with it:

 

I bought the re0 in March 2012 and loved the sound.  I did not treat them well, used it practically everyday and often shoved into my pocket. They went into the washing machine twice.  The first time they came out fine and i was pretty impressed with the build quality. The second time they went into the wash it still came out fine, but a few weeks later, the cable for the left channel cuts out.  I have to twist the cable to the right position to get sound near the earphone end. I think overall, if i had treated them better they would have lasted longer, but in my case they lasted about 6 months of daily use (well mon-fri).  

 

 

I loved the sound so much, and my re262 i keep at home and treat very carefully.  Also because i cant be bothered with carrying a portable amp for the re262 so they stay at home.  At the time my re0 broke, they sold the re0 for $49 and re-zero for $59 so i bought both in mid October.  I did not open my new re0 (keeping it as a backup in case i have anymore quality issues) and am now using the re-zero daily.  I like the re-zero sound slightly more but both are very similar (finding the re-zero slightly more fatiguing).

 

Looking at the head direct site today, seems the re-zero sold out, but the re0 is still available for $49. I find it hard to imagine at that price the re0 can be beat. Even if it only lasts 6 months, and im sure with proper care they would last much longer.

 

I got my RE-ZERO this year's January and I'm still using it daily - I love the sound. After the price drop a month ago, I decided to get the RE-0 as a gift for a friend, definitely worth it.

 

On a side note: I can't believe you washed your RE-0 twice, but I believe it'll last a while if you take are of it (especially after the build quality improvement) biggrin.gif.  Also, it's nice to see a fellow Zerg around here beerchug.gif


Edited by ktan3142 - 12/7/12 at 9:43pm
post #52 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktan3142 View Post

 

I got my RE-ZERO this year's January and I'm still using it daily - I love the sound. After the price drop a month ago, I decided to get the RE-0 as a gift for a friend, definitely worth it.

 

On a side note: I can't believe you washed your RE-0 twice, but I believe it'll last a while if you take are of it (especially after the build quality improvement) biggrin.gif.  Also, it's nice to see a fellow Zerg around here beerchug.gif

 

 

 

Yup, i think with proper care they will last a long time, and definitely worth it.  I totally blame myself for breaking them, other earphones would have died too. It did give me an excuse to buy another IEM though... but i liked them that much i bought it again. Was thinking about the HF5 for $99+shipping but i read the cables tend to break... i figured re0+re-zero for $118 shipped would last way longer!

 

I convinced 3 friends to try the re0 when the price dropped.  One guy liked them saying clearer than the Bose QC15, another liked his UE700 better for bass and was just as detailed as the re0, but admitted the re0 being better for violin. 3rd guy simply said "sh1t bass" lol =D

 

Zerg FTW beerchug.gif

post #53 of 64

My 2008 RE0 is still in working order. Recabled it last year as the old cable is showing sign of hardening and I expect the recabled RE0 to last at least a few more years. I pick up another spare for the $50 deal just in case.

post #54 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimChee View Post

Re0 is still worth it for the money imho.  Love the analytical sound and treble sparkle.

This. That airy treble is really amazing. Also, the bass really isn't bad at all if you use an amp... I find it to be more punchy and satisfying than my Sony MH1Cs (even though the Sonys can go REALLY low). The only sound issue I have with the RE0's is the lack of soundstage, otherwise the clarity is impossible to beat for $50. Haven't had issues with the build quality, though I haven't had them for more than a few weeks. I have returned something to Head-Direct before and their service was responsive.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post

My 2008 RE0 is still in working order. Recabled it last year as the old cable is showing sign of hardening and I expect the recabled RE0 to last at least a few more years. I pick up another spare for the $50 deal just in case.

 

Clie, mind giving us a link or some info as to how you recabled the RE0? I like these IEMs enough that I would love to make sure they last a long time with a nicer cable. Thanks!


Edited by bhima - 12/8/12 at 9:38am
post #55 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydralisk01 View Post

 

 

 

Yup, i think with proper care they will last a long time, and definitely worth it.  I totally blame myself for breaking them, other earphones would have died too. It did give me an excuse to buy another IEM though... but i liked them that much i bought it again. Was thinking about the HF5 for $99+shipping but i read the cables tend to break... i figured re0+re-zero for $118 shipped would last way longer!

 

I convinced 3 friends to try the re0 when the price dropped.  One guy liked them saying clearer than the Bose QC15, another liked his UE700 better for bass and was just as detailed as the re0, but admitted the re0 being better for violin. 3rd guy simply said "sh1t bass" lol =D

 

Zerg FTW beerchug.gif

 

Haha, I know that feel: recommend some nice headphones/IEMs to a friend and they always say "no bass." Man they're missing out...

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post

My 2008 RE0 is still in working order. Recabled it last year as the old cable is showing sign of hardening and I expect the recabled RE0 to last at least a few more years. I pick up another spare for the $50 deal just in case.

 

As bhima asked, can you link us some info on how to recable the IEMs? My RE-ZERO has hardening around the ear (I wear it over-ear), and I hate the fate that the RE-262 has so much weight with the added TRRS adapter (also worn cable-up).

post #56 of 64

Sorry guys, but I didn't take any pictures during the recable, just the final result. It is however a fairly straight forward procedure. First, separate the back chamber. This can be done by a sharp knife prying on the line when the back part of the housing meets the diagonal groove. The desolder the cable inside from the transducer. The strain relief is fused to the cable so you might need to remove the whole strain relief as well. Then you need to put in a new strain relief (taken from another IEM) and replace / solder back a new cable. Just be sure to tie a knob inside so the cable can't be pulled out. You can super glue everything back. The cable I used is from MEElec M2. Strain relief were taken from another broken IEM.

 

RE0n.jpg

post #57 of 64

ClieOS, 

 

 

Damnit.... Im now searching DIY forum for detailed procedures to perform a re-cable myself =P  And researching where to buy DIY cables eek.gif

post #58 of 64

I think they are well built APART from one major flaw
The shell alwaysssss splits for me. It's two pieces of metal joined by weak glue and it splits all.the.time.
I've had 3 pairs btw

post #59 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by nehcrow View Post

I think they are well built APART from one major flaw
The shell alwaysssss splits for me. It's two pieces of metal joined by weak glue and it splits all.the.time.
I've had 3 pairs btw

Can you perform surgery on them when this happens to keep them working well? Or do you have to return them, get another pair, and pray to the universal RNG that you get a pair that doesn't split?

post #60 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post

My 2008 RE0 is still in working order. Recabled it last year as the old cable is showing sign of hardening and I expect the recabled RE0 to last at least a few more years. I pick up another spare for the $50 deal just in case.


hi Thai, when did you review it last time. there is no review linked to the list at your web site http://www.inearmatters.net/ you have given them a SQ (#/5) 4.60 you think it is still same?

 

new cable aslo shouldnt have microphonics issue I think.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Now in 2012, Do HiFiMan Re0 still worth to buy?