or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum) › Toxic Cables - Impressions and Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Toxic Cables - Impressions and Discussion Thread - Page 409

post #6121 of 9345

It shoud theoretically be a downgrade - BW is litz and SP is stranded :)

post #6122 of 9345
Quote:
Originally Posted by citraian View Post

It shoud theoretically be a downgrade - BW is litz and SP is stranded smily_headphones1.gif

Whats the difference between litz and stranded?
post #6123 of 9345
Quote:
Originally Posted by delancyst View Post

Whats the difference between litz and stranded?
Search for it on headfi..its been explained a couple of times already..

But here u have a very general explanation i found on the net..its quoted:

In my experience all stranded Cables where each single conductor is made from several strands of copper that are not insulated from each other imparts an unpleasant harshness and brightness to the sound.
There are a few theories why this is so, if you want to read one of the more nutcake flavored ones, it comes from Ben Duncan. He proposes that copper-oxide forms between the strands that encourages non-linear conduction (little "mV" Diodes).
I shall keep out of this (there are pages full of letters on this in Wireless World), but as said I prefer solid conductors over stranded ones.
Litz-Style cables where each conductor is insulated from the others are usually much better or we can use single strands of solid core wire.
There is an argument that rectangular thin but wide conductors improve at the frequency extremes. Short of using Foil Tapes, one can use a few thin and round conductors (say 42 Gauge Magnet wire) run parallel, similar to the style of Cables from Nordost.
One more second order effect is the interaction of the signal current (as small as it is) with the shield. This will induce eddy currents in the shield that again will degrade the sound. Plenty of spacing helps but again, it reduces the effectiveness of the shielding.

Hope this answered ur question: best is solid core cables, next litz (2) and last stranded cables...and looking at the prices frank uses for the different models with different kind of cable that explains it also:

From TOTL to budget from top to down:

Solid retangular wire: His Venom's (copper and silver models)
Litz 2: his Black Widows and Silver Widows and his other mid fi priced cables
Stranded: his silver poison and his other budget priced cables.


Talking about talk..hey Frank where ru busy man? Ur very quiet the last few days..

And this is the whole page of which i quoted my above explanation..the last part is just to funny to keep it from u guys so include it here..have fun reading wink.gif

http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/intere.html
Edited by hifimanrookie - 3/13/14 at 10:22am
post #6124 of 9345

I just paid for a Black Widow for my new HD 800s. Let's hope it tames them down :)

post #6125 of 9345
Quote:
Originally Posted by citraian View Post

I just paid for a Black Widow for my new HD 800s. Let's hope it tames them down smily_headphones1.gif

It definitely will. The stock cable is SPC and the best i have heard: it just seems to accentuate the treble glare. The BW is one of the best sounding cables from Frank: it is musical, rich and smooth. So, it will be a wonderful match. I know because I have a BW too. And it is great with my HD800! wink.gif
post #6126 of 9345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiats View Post

It definitely will. The stock cable is SPC and the best i have heard: it just seems to accentuate the treble glare. The BW is one of the best sounding cables from Frank: it is musical, rich and smooth. So, it will be a wonderful match. I know because I have a BW too. And it is great with my HD800! wink.gif

I agree totally..dont understand why it doesnt get any more love here..i think that everyone thinks silver is the way to go because its more expensive.. As most of people who has a SW or a SP never ever even tried a BW..or even considered one...but i agree..for a hd650 or lcd, a dark sounding phone..a SW Could be better..COULD BE wink.gif

I have a BW also, but paired with a Code-X..(and now listening to beautiful music from ennio morricone in lossless quality) and i also can deepfully confirm it is by far not the botttleneck on my new rig..on contrary i only attributes to the organic (musical?) and natural (if i can use that word for music) smooth sound...couldnt be more happy..the amp/ headphone and BW is a match in heaven...and i tell u..its probably the best cable frank has if u want emotional, alive and kicking music with just enough treble and detail in ur ears..but i still have to try out his TOTL Copper cable..the Copper Venom RC-4 tongue.gif

So frank??????
Edited by hifimanrookie - 3/13/14 at 5:01pm
post #6127 of 9345
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifimanrookie View Post

I agree totally..dont understand why it doesnt get any more love here..i think that everyone thinks silver is the way to go because its more expensive.. As most of people who has a SW or a SP never ever even tried a BW..or even considered one...but i agree..for a hd650 or lcd, a dark sounding phone..a SW Could be better..COULD BE wink.gif

I have a BW also, but paired with a Code-X..(and now listening to beautiful music from ennio morricone in lossless quality) and i also can deepfully confirm it is by far not the botttleneck on my new rig..on contrary i only attributes to the organic (musical?) and natural (if i can use that word for music) smooth sound...couldnt be more happy..the amp/ headphone and BW is a match in heaven...and i tell u..its probably the best cable frank has if u want emotional, alive and kicking music with just enough treble and detail in ur ears..but i still have to try out his TOTL Copper cable..the Copper Venom RC-4 tongue.gif

So frank??????

Agreed, Hifimanrookie. And yes, bravely go no man has gone before and share with us your adventures when you can bear take the headphones off. frown.gif
post #6128 of 9345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiats View Post

Agreed, Hifimanrookie. And yes, bravely go no man has gone before and share with us your adventures when you can bear take the headphones off. frown.gif

Oops! Thick thumbs. I meant smily_headphones1.gif
post #6129 of 9345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiats View Post

Agreed, Hifimanrookie. And yes, bravely go no man has gone before and share with us your adventures when you can bear take the headphones off. frown.gif
beerchug.gif
post #6130 of 9345

Hifimanrookie, The way you are going.....We are going to reach 7000 posts real quick!!!!!!...........I stand by my comment on most posts.....:D

post #6131 of 9345
Quote:
Originally Posted by citraian View Post
 

I just paid for a Black Widow for my new HD 800s. Let's hope it tames them down :)

Don't worry, it can't be wrong ;)  I have Scorpion, BW and SW for HD800 and I found BW is the best match for 800 :L3000:


Edited by inter voice - 3/13/14 at 10:32pm
post #6132 of 9345
Quote:
Originally Posted by inter voice View Post

Don't worry, it can't be wrong wink.gif   I have Scorpion, BW and SW for HD800 and I found BW is the best match for 800 L3000.gif
I'm not worried, I know that Frank makes good cables. The only thing that worries me is me getting used with HD 800s treble peak and lack of sub bass and body smily_headphones1.gif Need to put the LCD-3s on again smily_headphones1.gif
post #6133 of 9345

Awesome!

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by inter voice View Post
 

Frank has offered a prize draw for existing customers last months and I am the lucky one who has won the BIG prize  :biggrin:

 

Today my prize has arrived. I have set them up for a quick test and I can confirm that they are all functioning well.

 

I am now running-in them for at least 100 hrs before I carry out a detailed review.

 

As to the HF-5 I did not use the stock 12AU7 from Full Music (made in China) instead I changed it to RCA Grey Plate 12AU7.  I also added two damping rings onto the 12AU7 (the red rings shown in the photo).  Later I will change the stock opamp to LM-49860NA and add a MKP filtering cap to the power supply of this opamp which should make the SQ more smooth.

 

As to the Gain of the HF-5 I pushed the L switch to its "ON" position which increases the output gain by +10dB and this is more than enough power to push the HE-500.  The volume is normally at 11 o'clock position for music listening.    

 

I have also tried this HF-5 with my HD-800 and LCD-X and they can drive both CANs like a charm.  I was surprised there is more than sufficient power to drive the low sensitivity HD-800 :wink_face:

 

I have uploaded a photo to show what Frank has given out: 

 

 

Lastly I have to thank Frank for offering the prize which I am a lucky one who had won it :biggrin:.

post #6134 of 9345
Quote:
Originally Posted by citraian View Post

I'm not worried, I know that Frank makes good cables. The only thing that worries me is me getting used with HD 800s treble peak and lack of sub bass and body smily_headphones1.gif Need to put the LCD-3s on again smily_headphones1.gif

I find with the BW, the HD800 has smoother treble and more deep impact bass.
post #6135 of 9345
Quote:
Originally Posted by inter voice View Post

Don't worry, it can't be wrong wink.gif   I have Scorpion, BW and SW for HD800 and I found BW is the best match for 800 L3000.gif

+1.

I have the SW, the Virus and the BW. BW imparts this incredible tinge to the HD 800. smily_headphones1.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum) › Toxic Cables - Impressions and Discussion Thread