Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum) › Toxic Cables - Impressions and Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Toxic Cables - Impressions and Discussion Thread - Page 254

post #3796 of 7292
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifimanrookie View Post


I heard both phones and both had SAME cable (norse audio ..sorry dont know model) and on the same amp..the v200...and to my ears the lcd3 was far ahead on soundstage, treble, midrange and less dark..in short..it sounded more composed, more realistic...TO MY EARS...i know the difference in price dont make up with the difference in better soundquality..but the lcd3 is thebetter headphone...but i agree..if some people prefer a darker phone..and then the lcd2 ver2 could be a better fit...

 

It's no surprise to me that if the LCD3 are brighter than the LCD2.2 that you would prefer them, if you like a brighter sound, when paired with the V200 which has a reputation for being a warm & dark sounding amp.

The last thing I would want to do is pair any Audeze phone with a dark sounding amp.

 

I am not saying the LCD3's are not better, possibly by a clear margin, because I have not heard them.


Edited by nigeljames - 5/29/13 at 5:07am
post #3797 of 7292

Hey chaps, can you help me out here. I'm currently stuck between choosing a Black Widow at 22AWG or 24AWG. Yes, yes, I know most of you would jump and say "get the 22AWG!" and that is what I'm gearing towards as I'd like to get the most out of my HD800. However, I really dig the French silk sleeving and unfortunately, Frank only offers the 24AWG in French silk. So as much as I'd like to enjoy the aesthetics of the silk sleeving, I'm not sure if the trade off for the difference in cable diameter is worth it or not. Can someone grace me with some wisdom here?

post #3798 of 7292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryujen View Post

Hey chaps, can you help me out here. I'm currently stuck between choosing a Black Widow at 22AWG or 24AWG. Yes, yes, I know most of you would jump and say "get the 22AWG!" and that is what I'm gearing towards as I'd like to get the most out of my HD800. However, I really dig the French silk sleeving and unfortunately, Frank only offers the 24AWG in French silk. So as much as I'd like to enjoy the aesthetics of the silk sleeving, I'm not sure if the trade off for the difference in cable diameter is worth it or not. Can someone grace me with some wisdom here?
Sound + looks vs aesthetics? I would take the 24 AWG any day.
post #3799 of 7292

http://www.toxic-cables.co.uk                  PREPARE TO BE INTOXICATED

 

 

Reply
post #3800 of 7292
Quote:
Originally Posted by lin0003 View Post


Sound + looks vs aesthetics? I would take the 24 AWG any day.

Hmm, pardon me but aren't looks part of the aesthetic?

post #3801 of 7292

No, aesthetics is part of looks :))

post #3802 of 7292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryujen View Post

Hmm, pardon me but aren't looks part of the aesthetic?
Yes, I meant flexibility. Not sure what I was thinking.
post #3803 of 7292
Quote:
Originally Posted by lin0003 View Post


Yes, I meant flexibility. Not sure what I was thinking.

Ah I see. So were you implying that the 22awg would be too bulky and sitff?

post #3804 of 7292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryujen View Post

Ah I see. So were you implying that the 22awg would be too bulky and sitff?
I myself owe a 22 awg black widow..and its superflexible and not heavy at all!! I Have a non sleeved version...that copper looks sexy guys! Am waiting for my black sleeved balanced 8wire black widow cables now of that same 22awg..iput the pics of that cable on my profile already that frank took...if urinterested....but really..seeing that cable in back sleeving makes me dribble..i dont need silk..giveme standard black sleeving and i am a happy camper! Ps..as far i knowmy new cable is a one of iunderstand...but if u ask frank nicely biggrin.gif
post #3805 of 7292
I got a White Widow for my Heir 4ai. It is very flexible and has superb sound and looks decent too.
post #3806 of 7292
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifimanrookie View Post


I myself owe a 22 awg black widow..and its superflexible and not heavy at all!! I Have a non sleeved version...that copper looks sexy guys! Am waiting for my black sleeved balanced 8wire black widow cables now of that same 22awg..iput the pics of that cable on my profile already that frank took...if urinterested....but really..seeing that cable in back sleeving makes me dribble..i dont need silk..giveme standard black sleeving and i am a happy camper! Ps..as far i knowmy new cable is a one of iunderstand...but if u ask frank nicely biggrin.gif

That's pleasantly surprising to hear. Your 8 wire Black Widow sounds like a beast of a cable. Though unfortunately, I don't have a balanced amp so I wouldn't be able to make use of a special cable like yours. 

The 22awg Black Widow probably sounds lovely but the availability of silk sleeving with 24awg is just so tempting! I guess it is down to an individual's priorities and preferences so I can understand why longbowbbs went with the 24awg french silk while you stuck with the 22awg. Hmm, decisions..... decisions........

post #3807 of 7292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryujen View Post

That's pleasantly surprising to hear. Your 8 wire Black Widow sounds like a beast of a cable. Though unfortunately, I don't have a balanced amp so I wouldn't be able to make use of a special cable like yours. 
The 22awg Black Widow probably sounds lovely but the availability of silk sleeving with 24awg is just so tempting! I guess it is down to an individual's priorities and preferences so I can understand why longbowbbs went with the 24awg french silk while you stuck with the 22awg. Hmm, decisions..... decisions........
I am not stuck with 22awg biggrin.gif i specifically wanted that..as my experience tells me that if u have a strong amp the lower the awg the better is it..ofcourse u can go to low..lolz...

I have a 26awg double helix cable..both are stranded cables..but the black widow has much more body...all sounded more solid....especially low voices..like the leadsingers of unheilig and rammstein...they sound eery evil on my BW 22awg.. cool.gif

Its not all bout esthetics..i prefer best soundquality above any esthetics...i listen to my music in the dark...so for me..only thing that matters is: quality of built (durability), no microphobics in cable and most of all...i want a cable to sound as natural as possible....i found out that lower awg helps...as is balanced cabling, as is the amount of wiring inside the cable (8wires), highest quality connectors and i went even further with my new cable to ask frank to make two black widows 22awg cables.... 1 each for right and left channel to minimize any ghosting in the signal.. tongue.gif
Edited by hifimanrookie - 5/31/13 at 12:59pm
post #3808 of 7292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryujen View Post

Ah I see. So were you implying that the 22awg would be too bulky and sitff?
22AWG will be bulkier than 24AWG.
post #3809 of 7292
Quote:
Originally Posted by lin0003 View Post


22AWG will be bulkier than 24AWG.

It should be. Though hopefully not by much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifimanrookie View Post


I am not stuck with 22awg biggrin.gif i specifically wanted that..as my experience tells me that if u have a strong amp the lower the awg the better is it..ofcourse u can go to low..lolz...

I have a 26awg double helix cable..both are stranded cables..but the black widow has much more body...all sounded more solid....especially low voices..like the leadsingers of unheilig and rammstein...they sound eery evil on my BW 22awg.. cool.gif

Its not all bout esthetics..i prefer best soundquality above any esthetics...i listen to my music in the dark...so for me..only thing that matters is: quality of built (durability), no microphobics in cable and most of all...i want a cable to sound as natural as possible....i found out that lower awg helps...as is balanced cabling, as is the amount of wiring inside the cable (8wires), highest quality connectors and i went even further with my new cable to ask frank to make two black widows 22awg cables.... 1 each for right and left channel to minimize any ghosting in the signal.. tongue.gif

Yes, sound quality and practicality are of utmost importance to me but I was thinking, if the differences in sound quality between the 24awg and 22awg are negligible, I might as well go for the "silked up" 24awg. That way, I can have my cake and eat it too. If not, I'll have to make a compromise. In the end, I just want a nice cable for my HD800.

 

Gosh, two 22awg Black Widows? One for each channel? Hot damn, that's just jaw dropping. 

post #3810 of 7292

Well decided to trade in my LCD2.2s to Headamp and simultaneously ordered a pair of LCD3s. Now when I get the Silver Widow I should be pretty well set up I think. Not Stax level but definitely a nice little setup to groove on some tunes! Very excited. Also very much without anything to listen to. Bummer. Just have to be patient! 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum) › Toxic Cables - Impressions and Discussion Thread