New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Philips Citiscape Downtown - Page 2

post #16 of 29

Got a pair of these today at my local thrift store. Brand new and still in a sealed box. Best of all, $30!

 

Too bad I don't like them much at all after 15 minutes. Bass is really bloated. Mids are very shouty. The male vocals in the song "Chan Chan" on the Buena Vista Social Club CD are ear piercing.

Sounds quite muddy overall, yet the soundstage seems pretty decent for an on ear headphone.

 

I've tried them so far with a Clip+ (FLAC) and my Headroom Micro Amp to ODAC. Not much difference yet.

 

I would say so far the Koss UR-55, Beyerdynamic DT-235, KSC75 and PX100-II (well amped) has it beat.

 

I'll shove it in my drawer for burn-in just for fun overnight. Maybe i'll be eating my words in the morning.

 

Haven't heard mids this shouty in a long time.

 

Listening to Radiohead's "15 Step" right now. The bass isn't too bad, but ugh..the mids.

 

The bass isn't super bloated, but too much for me.

 

Think if burn in doesn't improve them i'll give them to my mom or something. Not worth $100.

 

EDIT:

 

I think it's signature is about as messed up as the XB500. To get this to sound decent I have to reduce the mids with EQ along with the bass and crank up the treble a tad. Stock they're almost as dark as the Aiaiai TMA1 I heard at Best Buy. Never had a headphone as fatiguing as this before..every song feels like someone is shouting in my ears.


Edited by tdockweiler - 9/26/12 at 8:36pm
post #17 of 29

Hi Guys,

 

I recently bought these headphones and am finding that the sound quality is varies from device to device. I had the headphones plugged into my Creative Zen (2008 model) or PC and they sound terrible, but when I plug it into a PS vita or a SGS3 it sounds fine.

 

Is this an issue with the source? I read online the creative zens were really good in terms of sound quality.

 

Thanks in advance

post #18 of 29

Hi there! I've listened to the koss pro-dj-100s and I've owned the downtowns for almost a year now, and I'm not an audiophile or anything but I've really enjoyed them. The sound is great for the price, and they're simply fun to listen to (although not very neutral, some songs definitely sounded better than others). The bass is present, but tight and controlled, and vocals sound clear and beautiful on these. My only complaint about the sound would be that at times I wanted it to be a little fuller, richer. The on-ear style can have a soft of thinning affect on the sound, less depth. As for comfort, they're extremely comfortable at first, but I'm sorry to inform you that they did make my ears sore after an hour of use, and I have a rather small head. But hey, for around 50 bucks, I would buy these anyway just as an awesome, stylish, portable pair of headphones! You'll definitely get compliments if you wear these in public, and there's absolutely no leakage, so nobody will hear what you're listening to. 

As for the koss headphones, I think they have a slightly fuller sound, better soundstage, a slightly punchier (but still controlled) bass. However, I can't really give you a detailed or accurate account of their sound since I only wore them for a moment. I can tell you that I wouldn't recommend them for long listening sessions either, because the pads arn't the comfiest. I would seriously recommend you check out the m50s. Good luck!

Hope this helped :) 

post #19 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by yuriv View Post

 

Fair price? Too bad it's not the purple one.

 

Wow! i actually prefer the grey one!! why can't i see them in canada for that low? let alone at all in any canadian stores....

post #20 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler View Post

Got a pair of these today at my local thrift store. Brand new and still in a sealed box. Best of all, $30!

 

Too bad I don't like them much at all after 15 minutes. Bass is really bloated. Mids are very shouty. The male vocals in the song "Chan Chan" on the Buena Vista Social Club CD are ear piercing.

Sounds quite muddy overall, yet the soundstage seems pretty decent for an on ear headphone.

 

I've tried them so far with a Clip+ (FLAC) and my Headroom Micro Amp to ODAC. Not much difference yet.

 

I would say so far the Koss UR-55, Beyerdynamic DT-235, KSC75 and PX100-II (well amped) has it beat.

 

I'll shove it in my drawer for burn-in just for fun overnight. Maybe i'll be eating my words in the morning.

 

Haven't heard mids this shouty in a long time.

 

Listening to Radiohead's "15 Step" right now. The bass isn't too bad, but ugh..the mids.

 

The bass isn't super bloated, but too much for me.

 

Think if burn in doesn't improve them i'll give them to my mom or something. Not worth $100.

 

EDIT:

 

I think it's signature is about as messed up as the XB500. To get this to sound decent I have to reduce the mids with EQ along with the bass and crank up the treble a tad. Stock they're almost as dark as the Aiaiai TMA1 I heard at Best Buy. Never had a headphone as fatiguing as this before..every song feels like someone is shouting in my ears.

 

Did it improve with burn in? how many hours did you burn them in for? i was debating between the noontec zoros and these. (zoros are neutral sound sig) but i was really drawn to the downtowns cause of the simple styling and the isolation. (heard the earpads were the most comfortable for on ear standards--> as most hurt like crazy. 

 

Would u recommend them for 50$ on amazon? or 75$ after shipping ??

post #21 of 29

I love my Philips Downtowns.  Play Spotify music from my Sony Tablet and Xperia S, without amplification.  Went shopping to find a better (more expensive) headphone and was disappointed with P5 Momentum etc.  At £50 these Downtowns really are an audio bargain.  Comfortable to wear too!  Just joined the forum and love reading all your reviews and thoughts.

post #22 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robranger View Post

I love my Philips Downtowns.  Play Spotify music from my Sony Tablet and Xperia S, without amplification.  Went shopping to find a better (more expensive) headphone and was disappointed with P5 Momentum etc.  At £50 these Downtowns really are an audio bargain.  Comfortable to wear too!  Just joined the forum and love reading all your reviews and thoughts.

hi there just curious but how long have you had your downtowns? i'm questioning the durablity of the cable... i have a pair of noontec zoros with a similar flat thin tangle free cable, my cable shorted out in 2 months.... luckily it was a detachable cable and i easily gotten a spare so no problems but i was hoping philips continue this citiscape line up and fix some of the faults ( weird mids) a detachable cable, then i would certainly buy it immediately

 

how is the isolation? have you tested it on public transits? if so how loud were you listening to? and what device?

post #23 of 29

I've had the Downtowns for a month only.  No problems with the cable, it really is tangle free.  At this price range I doubt if Philips will make changes.  Not sure what you mean about weird mids, the music sounds natural to me, although I have less experience with headphones.

 

I use mine on the train and can hear external noise, although it doesn't spoil the listening experience.  I listen about 3 clicks off max with my Sony Tablet and about the same with Sony Xperia.  No one has given me a dirty look yet, so can't be affecting fellow commuters too much!  For the price you can't go wrong, presumably a dodgy cable would be covered by manufacturers warranty anyway.  

 

Now I'm into all this I am tempted to buy the Amperiors.  Will this be an upgrade?

post #24 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robranger View Post

I've had the Downtowns for a month only.  No problems with the cable, it really is tangle free.  At this price range I doubt if Philips will make changes.  Not sure what you mean about weird mids, the music sounds natural to me, although I have less experience with headphones.

 

I use mine on the train and can hear external noise, although it doesn't spoil the listening experience.  I listen about 3 clicks off max with my Sony Tablet and about the same with Sony Xperia.  No one has given me a dirty look yet, so can't be affecting fellow commuters too much!  For the price you can't go wrong, presumably a dodgy cable would be covered by manufacturers warranty anyway.  

 

Now I'm into all this I am tempted to buy the Amperiors.  Will this be an upgrade?

thanks for the reply, the downtowns were listed at msrp at 100$ originally. they have dropped significantly since then.. their a great deal right now. the mids were known to have some colouration, evident if you were comparing them to similar priced headphones ( other 100$ headphones)  but if you solely listen to them as you are right now you wouldn't notice it. (its a not really a problem unless u have other headphones to compare)

 

i actually don't really care if my music leaks, i know some people do, i just don't want sounds ( or at least a lot) seeping in

 

i was hoping them revamp the line =) the comfort on those things were cited from everyone to be fantastic ( like pillows on your ears) which is hard to do for on ears. 

 

the cables not warrantied unfortunately ( at least that i'm aware of) 

 

i'm basing this off multiple reviews (at least 5 or 6 that i read) i don't have personal experience with them just sayin

post #25 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robranger View Post

I've had the Downtowns for a month only.  No problems with the cable, it really is tangle free.  At this price range I doubt if Philips will make changes.  Not sure what you mean about weird mids, the music sounds natural to me, although I have less experience with headphones.

 

I use mine on the train and can hear external noise, although it doesn't spoil the listening experience.  I listen about 3 clicks off max with my Sony Tablet and about the same with Sony Xperia.  No one has given me a dirty look yet, so can't be affecting fellow commuters too much!  For the price you can't go wrong, presumably a dodgy cable would be covered by manufacturers warranty anyway.  

 

Now I'm into all this I am tempted to buy the Amperiors.  Will this be an upgrade?

the amperiors are a significant upgrade but its a lot more i'm not sure how much paid for the downtowns but the amperiors are one of the best on ears created in a while. you should check out innerfidelity.com they have a glowing review on them and the website is really well respected here on head-fi

post #26 of 29

I just got the Downtons and put them to burn for a couple of hours. They still need burning time but the sound is not bad at all. I always use my EQ so I can adjust the levels to my taste. If the EQ is turned off, you can notice that these headphones emphasize the mids, not much the highs and the bass is very contained, however the sound is still very pleasant. They are comfortable and very well isolated (my phone was ringing and I didn't notice), if treated well, they seem to endure. I chose the pale grey and they look awesome. I paid $30 (Amazon)... a great deal from any point of view...

post #27 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by luisriva View Post
 

I just got the Downtons and put them to burn for a couple of hours. They still need burning time but the sound is not bad at all. I always use my EQ so I can adjust the levels to my taste. If the EQ is turned off, you can notice that these headphones emphasize the mids, not much the highs and the bass is very contained, however the sound is still very pleasant. They are comfortable and very well isolated (my phone was ringing and I didn't notice), if treated well, they seem to endure. I chose the pale grey and they look awesome. I paid $30 (Amazon)... a great deal from any point of view...

 

thats a great deal and i personally love the pale grey myself,

 

i was so close to pulling the trigger on these guys but the fixed cable turned me off, i bought the noontec zoros instead ( i find flat cables die out pretty fast) my noontecs flat cable died after 2 months. (luckily its detachable) so i'm good! =)

 

i heard on judes video at cam jam that philips is updating the citiscape line, so that can be why retailers are trying to clear them out!

 

heres hoping the new downtowns keep their look or even update it along with fixing that treble ! OF COURSE GETTING A DETACHABLE CABLE

!!

HEAR THAT PHILIPS!!! DETACHABLE CABLES!!!!

 

the isolation graph looks amazing for any portable on ear let alone something under 100$ =0

post #28 of 29

More than a month with the grey ones and I'm really pleased. After weeks of use the bass becomes wider and more responsive to the EQ without becoming bloated, and the mids are as amazing as when I listened to them the first time. I love these cans!

post #29 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airey View Post
 

More than a month with the grey ones and I'm really pleased. After weeks of use the bass becomes wider and more responsive to the EQ without becoming bloated, and the mids are as amazing as when I listened to them the first time. I love these cans!

i'm still questioning the cable

 

its so thin and its permantly attached

 

i've seen ppl make detachable cable mods on their headphones(athm50s, someone found a way recable the uptowns, made it have a cable on both sides) but i think the downtowns cannot be disassembled

 

heard philips is updating this lineup, i think its long overdue which is why it was on discount for a while

 

if they can make it detachable cable that alone would be golden! maybe tweak the treble a bit this is all based on reviews though

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav: