Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Your opinion on 3rd Gen Ipod touch?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Your opinion on 3rd Gen Ipod touch?

Poll Results: Should I keep the Ipod touch or switch over to another version.

 
  • 37% (3)
    Stick with the 32GB Ipod Touch 3rd Generation!
  • 62% (5)
    Switch over to another ipod.
8 Total Votes  
post #1 of 25
Thread Starter 

Hi guys,

 

        I currently use a 32GB Ipod Touch 3rd Generation. Which ipod version do you guys think has the best sound quality? I never use the apps on my ipod so I was thinking about getting a classic which has a much larger capacity but I have heard that they use a hard drive so they can go bad within a few years. And if the sound quality is going to be worse on one of the other ipods I really don't wanna downgrade, i will just keep what I have. Also please don't say anything about any other brands than the apple brands because I don't wanna switch over from apple right now. I have all of my songs and everything in itunes and I really like just loading my CD's into itunes and letting it do all the work for me.

post #2 of 25

iPod video 5g/5.5g. They use Wolfson DAC.

post #3 of 25
7G classic, ruler flat frequency response. Wolfoson's overrated, too big a high frequency roll off for me.
post #4 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomkid View Post

7G classic, ruler flat frequency response. Wolfson's overrated, too big a high frequency roll off for me.

+1 on Wolfson being overrrated. I think the 4th-gen Touch has an excellent sound, and if you need it there are a number of good equalizer apps available.

post #5 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by nipit View Post

iPod video 5g/5.5g. They use Wolfson DAC.

 

+1. iPod video not only has amazing sound but also better design than classic IMO.

post #6 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorich View Post

Hi guys,

 

        I currently use a 32GB Ipod Touch 3rd Generation. Which ipod version do you guys think has the best sound quality? I never use the apps on my ipod so I was thinking about getting a classic which has a much larger capacity but I have heard that they use a hard drive so they can go bad within a few years. And if the sound quality is going to be worse on one of the other ipods I really don't wanna downgrade, i will just keep what I have. Also please don't say anything about any other brands than the apple brands because I don't wanna switch over from apple right now. I have all of my songs and everything in itunes and I really like just loading my CD's into itunes and letting it do all the work for me.

 

Ipod Shuffle 1st Gen , it`s legendary DAP

post #7 of 25
Haha i still have a 512mb shuffle, still going Strong, but i dont use it. They are legendary
post #8 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nipit View Post

iPod video 5g/5.5g. They use Wolfson DAC.

What is the largest GB on those Ipod Videos?
post #9 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achmedisdead View Post

+1 on Wolfson being overrrated. I think the 4th-gen Touch has an excellent sound, and if you need it there are a number of good equalizer apps available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomkid View Post

7G classic, ruler flat frequency response. Wolfoson's overrated, too big a high frequency roll off for me.

I agree. The Cirrus chip is excellent.

Now, I did vote to upgrade just for the capacity boost - 32gb to 64gb. I need capacity,...
post #10 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nywytboy68 View Post

I agree. The Cirrus chip is excellent.
Now, I did vote to upgrade just for the capacity boost - 32gb to 64gb. I need capacity,...

Yeah it seems like everybody is preffering those chips over the Wolfoson's. Think if I switch it will be one with the Cirrus chip. Does my Ipod Touch 3rd gen have one of these Cirrus chips anyone know?
post #11 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorich View Post


What is the largest GB on those Ipod Videos?

The largest GB for the stock ipod video is 80GB but it can be upgraded to 240GB. I personally upgraded a pair of ipod video 30GB's to 120GB's.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nywytboy68 View Post


I agree. The Cirrus chip is excellent.
Now, I did vote to upgrade just for the capacity boost - 32gb to 64gb. I need capacity,...

I believe my iphone 4s has the Cirrus chip. I thought it had pretty good sound until I listened to the RB'd ipod video. Now I can't stand listening to the iphone anymore.

post #12 of 25
Use EQu or Equalizer on the iPhone 4s. They're the great "equalizers", if you know what I mean. wink.gif
post #13 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by nywytboy68 View Post

Use EQu or Equalizer on the iPhone 4s. They're the great "equalizers", if you know what I mean. wink.gif

 

Unfortunately all EQ's aka digital manipulations have not done anything good for me, including the Cowon J3's. I know many others enjoy the EQ'd sounding.

post #14 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorich View Post


What is the largest GB on those Ipod Videos?

5G iPod video were  30/60gb, but 5.5G were 30/80gb. If you buy the 5G version ( with fatter back) you can place 240GB hard-drive inside your ipod ;)

post #15 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by nipit View Post

5G iPod video were  30/60gb, but 5.5G were 30/80gb. If you buy the 5G version ( with fatter back) you can place 240GB hard-drive inside your ipod ;)

I have read conflicting info about upgrading to 240GB HDD. There are reports saying the 5g's have only 32MB ram not good for the 240GB upgrade.

 

I have a 5g and 5.5g both the 30GB model. I really want to put in a 240GB HDD if technically possible.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Your opinion on 3rd Gen Ipod touch?