Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Sound Science › Dilemma: Should I not believe any reviewers who talk about cables or just ignore that section of their review?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Dilemma: Should I not believe any reviewers who talk about cables or just ignore that section of... - Page 119

post #1771 of 1790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Camper View Post

You'd think you could buy a cable pretty easily with all the commentary of this thread.

 

Have you had a chance to do a blind comparison of your USB cables yet?

post #1772 of 1790
Quote:
Originally Posted by duncan1 View Post

Krismusic- A philosophically HAPPY hi-fier-rare on the ground here- You have reached your own Nirvana! -Well done!
Thanks Duncan1. As they say. One day at a time!
post #1773 of 1790
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshot View Post

Have you had a chance to do a blind comparison of your USB cables yet?
No. I will when I go into Cincy next time with time to visit prepro. That's 100 mi
post #1774 of 1790
Quote:
Originally Posted by duncan1 View Post

It seems even praising a hi-fi enthusiast  here - as in Judge Judy--"no good deed goes unpunished"  As I have said before I am not 100% convinced about "the sound of cables" but we are  all different why try to mold people into one set ideal. What one person hears another cant --that's a physically proven fact . my wife's hearing is acute a lot better than mine. Why try to apply physiological limits  to human beings just because they don't fit in with science. Is there a great fear  that if science is proved wrong  [and it has many times]  that the "sky will fall down"   that's bordering on a type of fascism. If somebody has a different view to me then that's life. I could put a viewpoint but never in a "I know better manner". Kids at school get picked on and called names if they are fat--WHY because they don't "conform" to societies "ideal"--society is wrong in that respect as that can harm a child for life and give them " complexes" something that nobody can do to me as I don't accept societies "ideals" and would fight to the death for that cause.    


duncan1,

 

If we had a sound science comedy forum, your post would be aces. 

 

Why try to apply physiological limits to human beings?????? LOL, maybe because human beings actually have physiological limits? (surely I jest)

 

 It isn't like anyone gets together and specifies what those limits will be to limit humans.  More like scientists will investigate what their innate limits are for understanding's sake.    The reason you haven't heard about humans running the 2 minute mile isn't because of scientists.  It is because that feat is factually beyond the limits of human physiology.  And if some better human comes along and runs the two minute mile, scientists won't try and limit that.  They will celebrate it, study it, and learn from it.

 

If somebody has a different view to you beyond being life, it also could be they have more knowledge than you do.   But that isn't a permanent condition, one can always learn. 


Edited by esldude - 7/15/13 at 11:01pm
post #1775 of 1790
Quote:
Originally Posted by esldude View Post


duncan1,

 

If we had a sound science comedy forum, your post would be aces. 

 

Why try to apply physiological limits to human beings?????? LOL, maybe because human beings actually have physiological limits? (surely I jest)

 

 It isn't like anyone gets together and specifies what those limits will be to limit humans.  More like scientists will investigate what their innate limits are for understanding's sake.    The reason you haven't heard about humans running the 2 minute mile isn't because of scientists.  It is because that feat is factually beyond the limits of human physiology.  And if some better human comes along and runs the two minute mile, scientists won't try and limit that.  They will celebrate it, study it, and learn from it.

 

If somebody has a different view to you beyond being life, it also could be they have more knowledge than you do.   But that isn't a permanent condition, one can always learn. 

 

Dude, didn't you know that Chuck Norris ran a mile in 1:53, but only because he didn't feel like running harder? Also, Chuck Norris can hear the noise floor of 24bit/96kHz while listening to highly compressed pop at 0dB full scale, ABX 200 ps jitter at 100% success.

 

Be careful what limits you try to place on all humans!

 

:trollface: biggrin.gif

post #1776 of 1790
Quote:
Originally Posted by ab initio View Post

 

Dude, didn't you know that Chuck Norris ran a mile in 1:53, but only because he didn't feel like running harder? Also, Chuck Norris can hear the noise floor of 24bit/96kHz while listening to highly compressed pop at 0dB full scale, ABX 200 ps jitter at 100% success.

 

Be careful what limits you try to place on all humans!

 

:trollface: biggrin.gif


Since when is Chuck Norris human?  Even Superman (who we know is not human) had to concede:

 

Chuck Norris and Superman once fought each other on a bet. The loser had to start wearing his underwear on the outside of his pants.

 

 

And there is this:

 

Chuck Norris can do a roundhouse kick faster than the speed of light. This means that if you turn on a light switch, you will be dead before the lightbulb turns on.

 

Heck digital signals in digital cable rarely travel faster than 85% the speed of light, sure for Chuck Norris doing the jitter thing is no big deal. 

 

But there is humanity, and then there is Chuck Norris.   He only appears human due to his awesomeness.


Edited by esldude - 7/16/13 at 12:12am
post #1777 of 1790

As the human race "advances" -till it blows up the World Human physiology advance by becoming immune to diseases that kill others because the body learns and puts up protection. This is automatic unlike robots who need "upgrading"But it seems anything on a  higher level is going backwards . We are being morally and spiritually "downgraded" -unless it is before our eyes -it doesnt exist . We are reduced to a number on a government computer and judged on how much money we make for the government.during our life  time . We are told-buy-buy-buy.and many never get beyond that level.If some person comes on Head-Fi and says he is VERY happy  with the set up he has. You cannot leave that alone because --he is NOT supposed to be happy with less than you or anyone  is the "correct" level . Because it isnt "playing the game" not allowed. OH! what will it do to our sale of expensive products. It seems you will not be HAPPY for him --But that is being altruistic  and we cant have that here can we??    

post #1778 of 1790
^^ While I sort of understand what you are trying to say and agree, could you PLEASE work on typing slower and using proper form? If you form complete sentences, many more people would actually listen to you. That up there is so hard to read...

I am totally happy with my main stereo rig from 1977. http://i52.tinypic.com/143nc6t.jpg
I am happy with my headphone stuff, but would like to buy more for the fun of it - not for the sound quality. I buy amps because I like their look. Performance is important, but for me: Good enough is good enough.


Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshot View Post

Flat to 20kHz is infinitely preferable to having a good sized spike in the FR at the edge of hearing. Instant listening fatigue!

True, true.
Edited by ev13wt - 7/16/13 at 4:19am
post #1779 of 1790
I too understand and agree with what Duncan is saying.
I don't really mind his typing layout although it is a bit difficult to read.
Circumstances kind of forced me to re evaluate my priorities which led me to this kind of thinking. Although some of it is making a virtue of necessity!
I do think we should get back on topic though and continue the attempts to answer the central question.
Do cables make a worthwhile improvement to listening enjoyment ???
post #1780 of 1790

I understand what he's saying in the first part, and it's utterly off-topic and partly nonsense.

The second part about happiness is garbage as well and a complete straw man.

 

Add to your reading list websites about netiquette, especially grammar (you're more likely to learn this in an English course or book), formatting and readability.

post #1781 of 1790
Quote:
Originally Posted by krismusic View Post

Do cables make a worthwhile improvement to listening enjoyment ???

Yes.

While they don't improve "sonics" they are:

- Great to look at
- Have a nice build quality (mostly tongue.gif)
- Cater to our inner customization child
- Feel good to touch (again, mostly)

So all this is part of the "audio experience" aka listening enjoyment to a sense I think.
post #1782 of 1790
Hmmm. We seem to have reached a point where this no longer belongs in Sound Science!
post #1783 of 1790
Quote:
Originally Posted by ev13wt View Post

I am totally happy with my main stereo rig from 1977. http://i52.tinypic.com/143nc6t.jpg
I am happy with my headphone stuff, but would like to buy more for the fun of it - not for the sound quality. I buy amps because I like their look. Performance is important, but for me: Good enough is good enough.

Good looking gear is part of the experience for many, and is completely valid.  For example, in your picture, great looking Technics 1500!  What a great focal point, and if it's working, it's worth gold (you probably know).  It's unique, retro, vintage, visually stimulating, and in its day, as well as now, a very respectable unit.  Way "beyond good enough", though.  Nice focal point!

post #1784 of 1790
Quote:
Originally Posted by ev13wt View Post


Yes.

While they don't improve "sonics" they are:

- Great to look at
- Have a nice build quality (mostly tongue.gif)
- Cater to our inner customization child
- Feel good to touch (again, mostly)

So all this is part of the "audio experience" aka listening enjoyment to a sense I think.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krismusic View Post

Hmmm. We seem to have reached a point where this no longer belongs in Sound Science!

No, it's dead on here.  Just a difference science.  ev13wt makes valid points: the gear we end up with sometimes pings a pleasure center that has nothing to do with sonics, but still affects perception.  

post #1785 of 1790
Quote:
Originally Posted by ev13wt View Post

While they don't improve "sonics" they are:

- Great to look at
- Have a nice build quality (mostly tongue.gif)
- Cater to our inner customization child
- Feel good to touch (again, mostly).

Just getting a girlfriend will satisfy three out of four.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sound Science
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Sound Science › Dilemma: Should I not believe any reviewers who talk about cables or just ignore that section of their review?