Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Does it get much better than the HD800?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Does it get much better than the HD800? - Page 3

post #31 of 351
Thread Starter 

Compared to my HD800, the HE-500 are uncomfortable. I think it's mainly because the pads are so hard though. In fact, I decided I was going to listen only to the HE-500 today, but after 2 hours I just wanted to take them off so I put the HD800 on and it feels like a put two little pieces of heaven on my head.  Before I got the HD800 I really didn't think about it though. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zardon View Post


Yeah, he500/he6 both comfortable phones. Although ive heard some people say they are uncomfortable. Not sure why. Clamping pressure seems fine and they are large enough pads,

 

People often talk about the LCD or Stax, but not so often about the PS1000, GS1000, Edition 10 or the TH900, why is that? Are they just not that good to most people?


Edited by davidgotsa - 5/6/12 at 3:29pm
post #32 of 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgotsa View Post

Compared to my HD800, the HE-500 are uncomfortable. I think it's mainly because the pads are so hard though. In fact, I decided I was going to listen only to the HE-500 today, but after 2 hours I just wanted to take them off so I put the HD800 on and it feels like a put two little pieces of heaven on my head.  Before I got the HD800 I really didn't think about it though. 

hd800 are probably the most comfortable headphone you can buy. Sony r10 is much the same for comfort. Did you try both pads on the he500? i prefer the pleather/leather ones.

Comfort is important. Well it is to me as i often listen for 2-3 hours around midnight. I always found with the audeze headphones that i was constantly battling them. Very poor design for ergonomics. Im sure they will improve with lcd4.
Quote:
People often talk about the LCD or Stax, but not so often about the PS1000, GS1000, Edition 10 or the TH900, why is that? Are they just not that good to most people?

not sure what you mean? You mean comfort or sound quality?
post #33 of 351
Thread Starter 

Yea, actually they came with the leather ones but I put the velour ones on after an hour or so. Just two weeks ago I wanted to try the leather ones again and this time I found them to be more comfortable actually. 

 

My bad, that really wasn't clear. I'm talking only about sound quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zardon View Post


hd800 are probably the most comfortable headphone you can buy. Sony r10 is much the same for comfort. Did you try both pads on the he500? i prefer the pleather/leather ones. Comfort is important. Well it is to me as i often listen for 2-3 hours around midnight. I always found with the audeze headphones that i was constantly battling them. Very poor design for ergonomics. Im sure they will improve with lcd4.
not sure what you mean? You mean comfort or sound quality?
post #34 of 351
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgotsa View Post

My bad, that really wasn't clear. I'm talking only about sound quality.

The gs1000 has a big following here. Ps1000 seems quite popular too. I admit though i prefer joe grados headphones as he was more 'neutral' with his designs. Hp1000 is one of the greatest headphones of all time, in my humble opinion. I have gs1000 and ps1000 and quite like both, but i much prefer hp1000 to either of them. Ps1000 for me is a little sibilant and needs a lot of burn in and cable adjustments.

Ultrasone edition 10 , i think its an acquired taste again a little sibliant from my limited dealings with it., although i hear it needs a lot of burn in and the latest pads also help. Never owned an edition 10 so i cant really comment.
Edited by zardon - 5/6/12 at 4:06pm
post #35 of 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by akwok View Post

People who tell you that the SR-009 is better, "but not by much", probably haven't spent enough time with it.  The SR-009 does everything the HD800 does well but kicks it up a notch, especially in the low end, which is clearly lacking in the HD800. 

There is something wrong w/ your 800 setup.  Even w/ a T2 the 009 can't punch and slam like the HD800.  The 009 is beautiful but I have yet to enjoy it on anything other than a T2 amp.  I also find the 800 to still sound slightly better on some more modern pop/rock recordings.  Sometimes it even depends on which track is playing on an album as to whether the 009 or 800 wins.  Considering the price differential that's a pretty impressive accomplishment.  Of course this is w/ my amp, tubes and modded 800s.  YMMV.

post #36 of 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgotsa View Post

 

People often talk about the LCD or Stax, but not so often about the PS1000, GS1000, Edition 10 or the TH900, why is that? Are they just not that good to most people?

 

Measurable and subjectively that is often the case.  Some of those wouldn't fetch over $250 depending on who you ask.

post #37 of 351

lol! do i detect a slight hd800 bias creeping in here anaxilus? wink.gif

post #38 of 351
ED10s: $2500 looks, $25 sound

I wouldn't mind to get some for cheap just to see if I could make a worthwhile set of cans out of them.
post #39 of 351

interesting reading all these posts.

 

 

 i love my HD 800, LCD-2, and T1, cant really say the hd 800 beats them all. biggrin.gif

 

the lcd-2 would be better if only they had more sub-bass (they go deep, but it doesn't always seem like they do because they are flat down to 10hz), and perhaps a bit better separation and imaging.

the t1 are awesome in every aspect, but have mids that sometimes sound a bit lacking in some ways, cant really describe it.

the hd 800s are very good, but i wouldn't consider them 'better" than my t1 or lcd-2. and my denon  d7000 aren't on the same level, but are funner than all those other headphones put together sometimes....


Edited by Dubstep Girl - 5/6/12 at 10:48pm
post #40 of 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post

the t1 are awesome in every aspect, but have mids that sometimes sound a bit lacking in some ways, cant really describe it.

Its the stock cable. Its not great. Once that is replaced, the whole mid section opens up.
post #41 of 351

hmmm, would a cable from double helix cables do the trick? 

 

i have their molecule cable on both my LCD-2 and HD 800 and i like what i hear on both of them.

 

 

and i thought the T1 cable was good though.

post #42 of 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmer n roar View Post

lol! do i detect a slight hd800 bias creeping in here anaxilus? wink.gif

 

Maybe, probably?  009+T2 is my next step if I take it but it's not an absolute/total upgrade or as cut and dry to me.  I spent a good portion of the day going back forth between BA/HD800 and 007 mk2.5/T2 and there were things about the 007 I did not like.  Sometimes the 007 was better, other times the 800.  I do think the 009 does better than any Stax I've heard so far which is why I favor it.  There's still things about the 800, 009, working LCD3 I like and only the Orpheus (proper sounding one, not the overly colored, underdriven ones) is the closest I've heard to getting all 3 in one.  My fingers are crossed for an Orpheus 2 release while I build a T2.  I'll have another few hours alone w/ the 009 for the 6th time or so to finally figure it out so we'll see if that seals the deal.

 

Anywho, the original question is much better versus just better.  biggrin.gif

 

I can get a preference for the T1 based on a signature thing but when I hear it in the same 'league' as the HD800 that just makes me cringe.  I'd check my chain or sell the 800s.  The T1 is just technically behind the 800 and a good LCD3 in so many ways it's not funny.  I think it's behind the LCD2 and possibly even a DT880/600 tbh but okay.


Edited by Anaxilus - 5/7/12 at 12:43am
post #43 of 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaxilus View Post

 

I can get a preference for the T1 based on a signature thing but when I hear it in the same 'league' as the HD800 that just makes me cringe.  I'd check my chain or sell the 800s.  The T1 is just technically behind the 800 and a good LCD3 in so many ways it's not funny.  I think it's behind the LCD2 and possibly even a DT880/600 tbh but okay.

I think its all personal taste. ive a £1000 cable (piccilino) coming from both HD800 and T1 and the T1 to me sounds better balanced with a lot of music. The HD800 certainly has a Sony R10 style soundstage, but I think the higher end of the curve still has some 'grain'. Its inherent with the headphones. Some people don't notice it, and I wish I didn't. I still enjoy them however.

 

I also dont think the enjoyment of music is completely based on 'technical proficiency' either. Otherwise we would probably all just be using STAX 009 daily.

post #44 of 351

having heard both, i didn't find it as cut and dry as anaxilus did. the hd800 and t1 are technically impressive headphones with different presentations. i was more impressed by the hd800 initially, but after a while i began to miss the more solid and slightly richer presentation of the t1. when you're comparing headphones that perform at this level, choosing between them comes down to personal preference. smile.gif

post #45 of 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaxilus View Post


I can get a preference for the T1 based on a signature thing but when I hear it in the same 'league' as the HD800 that just makes me cringe.  I'd check my chain or sell the 800s.  The T1 is just technically behind the 800 and a good LCD3 in so many ways it's not funny.  I think it's behind the LCD2 and possibly even a DT880/600 tbh but okay.
I've listened to them back, to back, to back and they really are so similar as to make a person scratch their head. Anyway, T1s are more refined and open and they have smoother highs than the DT880s. But overall, they're about 5-7% better in most categories, less in others, so for my dollar I bought a set of lightly used DT880 600s and I'm not looking back. Without listening to them in quick succession it would be very difficult for me to tell them apart, and I believe in a blind test it would be the same for anyone.
Edited by Magick Man - 5/7/12 at 2:29am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Does it get much better than the HD800?