I don't know what their current turn-around is. couple years ago when i got my jh5s they quoted me 4-5 weeks, i received them in 3 (If i recall correctly). I wouldn't start worrying about it before the 4-week mark.
Related Forum Threads
- Earsonic SM3 alternative? Last post on 8/20/12 at 7:00pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- $500 iem vs $500 headphones? Last post on 5/8/13 at 4:20am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Choosing between ATH M50 vs Philips Fidelio L1 Last post on 10/4/12 at 2:26am in Headphones (full-size)
- Upgrade recommendations from Westone 4? Last post on 4/6/13 at 5:38pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Best IEM for $300? Last post on 7/31/12 at 10:13pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Grado Modification Overview
Edited on 9/27/11
- Headphone ImpedanceEdited on 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeEdited on 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaEdited on 1/6/13
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationEdited on 5/7/10
I read reviews on this and I said let me try this out, for $10 I couldn't lose. This surpassed all of expectations for a $10 IEM. I am going to purchase a set for my wife, she was also blown...
Fanmusic is a distributor and a brand of Chinese audio-equipment which also has an eBay store. I was contacted by Tony, their manager a while ago and he informed me that they were working...
Very nice amp for mid-fiers to entry high-fiers. The sound quality and specs are very good for the price. Works very well with Jazz and Classical music in particular (not that rock and...
My pair was a supposed demo model from one of Hifiman's retailers. They came in mint condition, which is lucky for me. I'm not using a balanced cable yet, but I already feel it's a good upgrade...
Westone 4 vs. JH5 - Page 3post #31 of 466/5/12 at 11:38am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #32 of 466/5/12 at 12:50pmpost #33 of 467/5/12 at 12:09pmThread Starterpost #34 of 467/5/12 at 12:29pmpost #35 of 4610/18/12 at 3:50pmQuote:
I found the bass intolerable on the JH5. It livened up a bit amped, but straight out of an iPod it was terrible. It was more boomy than an unamped pair of AH-D2000 headphones. I think it is primarily a drawback to a dual crossover design. Listen to Maroon 5 and you can hear the vocals beat with the bass. It becomes so bad at times that I would not consider buying a pair of JH5 customs. I went for the JH 10 x3 Pro.post #36 of 4610/18/12 at 3:57pmQuote:Originally Posted by NA Blur
I found the bass intolerable on the JH5. It livened up a bit amped, but straight out of an iPod it was terrible. It was more boomy than an unamped pair of AH-D2000 headphones. I think it is primarily a drawback to a dual crossover design. Listen to Maroon 5 and you can hear the vocals beat with the bass. It becomes so bad at times that I would not consider buying a pair of JH5 customs. I went for the JH 10 x3 Pro.
I dont find the bass to be boomy at all, from an ipod or my amps. I dont think ive ever read anyone have that issue with the jh5.post #37 of 4610/19/12 at 2:10pm
(disregard my earlier post in this thread.)
These are my two current IEM's. Can't compare them as they are "apples and oranges". JH5 is the Mustang GT and W4 is the Lexus. Both awesome but different.
I could call both great "all arounders" but the JH5 is rawer and more robust, full, in your face. Good clarity, good midrange, good bass but it's mid bass more than deep bass. Typical JH sound. Big, full, robust...but fairly balanced. (JH5 actually brighter sounding than W4)
W4....Total refinement, bigger soundstage and better extension. Much more the audiophile's choice.post #38 of 4610/19/12 at 2:18pm
Forgive me for jumping in, but I was wondering how one goes about trying out custom IEMs? Other than taking people's words for it, how else could I listen to the sound of say the JH or Heir etc etc?
I currently own the W4 but I want to make the jump to CIEMpost #39 of 4610/19/12 at 2:31pmpost #40 of 4610/19/12 at 5:23pmQuote:
Check yellow pages for "audiologist." Call and ask if they can make impressions for a custom earphone. Be sure they have experience as this is different than taking impressions for hearing aids. Call around to a few places as prices can vary
Go get impressions. Could cost anywhere from $25-100. Anyone that is charging over $100 is ripping you off. I paid $25 for mine.
Place your custom order and ship them your impressions with a copy of your order form.post #41 of 4610/19/12 at 9:03pmpost #42 of 4610/20/12 at 5:18ampost #43 of 4610/20/12 at 6:15am
Ah so that's the part where my wallet hates you all. XD. In the end I guess it's always fun to try something new. I always see new headphones/ IEMs as different rather than bad, that way I'm always seeing things in a good way rather than bad.
The headfi community has been great at giving good feedback on any particular gear so it should make things easier.post #44 of 4610/20/12 at 6:54amDoesnt JH have demo pairs of their customs? They look like customs but have universal tips, problem is I think thats in the US only. Call all the custon iem makers and see if anyone is able to let you demo in your location (maybe UM first since I think they have a Australian branch).post #45 of 463/9/13 at 5:09pm
Have done some traveling lately. Took the W4's one full weekend and took the JH5 the next weekend.
There is certainly a mental placebo at work when comparing 2 drivers to 4 drivers in that the 4 drivers MUST be better, flagship Westone product, etc....but after the newness of the latest purchase wears off it is easier to judge the 2. I still find it shocking what the JH5 is capable of.
In 10 years as a member on HF the JH5 is still the best money I ever spent. Jerry Harvey was an absolute genious in choosing and tuning the 2 drivers that provide this amazingly full, lively, punchy, brite sound. The JH5 also has independent sound bores for each driver. Like W4 I DO recommend amping the JH5 for better clarity but if you were to put a gun to my head and say pick one (sound quality only)....I would take the JH5.
Side notes: The JH5 has more bass weight than W4. The JH5 midrange/vocals is just as good as W4 but W4 is a bit more forward. Treble is about the same. Soundstage might be slightly larger with W4 but there is absolutely no veil with JH5 so consider it a trade-off.
They are both great IEM's but for $400, people should really consider the JH5. I swear if mine went dead or got stolen I would order another pair immediately even though I have had mine for 2 1/2 years now. They are bullet proof as well.
Not sure how anyone could have a gripe with it other than someone that prefers a flat neutral sound.
Edited by Spyro - 3/9/13 at 6:22pmReturn HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Westone 4 vs. JH5
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START... 1 second ago
- › AKG K712 PRO Announced 1 minute ago
- › Final Audio Design Appreciation/Discussion Thread 1 minute ago
- › Why the Beats Hate? 2 minutes ago
- › Multimeter question between stock and custom cables 2 minutes ago
- › The diary entries of a little girl who is now 30! ~ Part 2 3 minutes ago
- › Need help for a beginner 3 minutes ago
- › Monoprice Hi-Fi DJ Style Headphone Review 4 minutes ago
- › Surprise TDK MT-300: $4.97 of AWESOME... 4 minutes ago
- › Rockit Sounds R-50 Review/Impressions/Appreciation 5 minutes ago
- › Monoprice 8320 IEM by Taharqa
- › Fanmusic MS-E1011 by ItsMeHere
- › Audio-gd NFB-5 by citadel
- › HE-5LE by JamesHuntington
- › Kozee Sound Solutions Infinity X2 by Insight Reviews
- › JVC HA M750 by tinamou62
- › Aurisonics ASG-2 by eke2k6
- › Sennheiser HD-558 by Tr1ckster
- › Go-Dap DD Socket1 (DD/DA Converter) for iPhone & iPod... by AnakChan
- › Philips SHL5905BK/28 CitiScape Uptown by Marleybob217
- › Syncing music and making playlists work with... by Currawong
- › Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes by miceblue
- › STAX SR-007 (Omega II) ... A Review After 4... by Currawong
- › List of lossless and high-res music (FLAC,... by ffivaz
- › Beware of the following scams and people... by Currawong
- › Sennheiser 449 Mod Possibly 4 8 Mod by hernan604
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Computer Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable... by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Desktop Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Headphone... by joe