New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Westone 4 vs. JH5

post #1 of 49
Thread Starter 

lets hear your thoughts. Im not sure which one to get

post #2 of 49

jh5 hands down

post #3 of 49

JH5's are well liked in these parts.

I have the 10X3's but I'm still contemplating getting a pair.

 

Also the comfort of Customs is unmatched by and universal I've tried.

post #4 of 49
Thread Starter 

Im worried about how many problems people had with fitting. It seems like a lot of them had to send the JH5s back for refitting multiple times.
 

post #5 of 49

I've had no issues with the JH5 and refits. My JH5 did not need any refits.

post #6 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laslo View Post

Im worried about how many problems people had with fitting. It seems like a lot of them had to send the JH5s back for refitting multiple times.
 

that is all going to depend on the audiologist that does the impression and how true to form they are. if they are'nt great fitment issues are going to arise. if they are good fitment issues shouldnt be a problem of course there could always be human error to account for

post #7 of 49

I thought the W4 is easily better than the JH5. I also preferred the UE4 to the JH.

 

The JH5 sounds grainy, bass-punchy (but not too good with subbass) and thin. I thought the overall presentation is very disharmonius, compared to the contenders. My opinion is based on a demonstration pair, though. However, I know at least a few people who shared my findings.

 

I also got annoyed by W4's upper bass, which is why I sold them. Looking forward to the Sennheiser IE 800!

post #8 of 49

JH5 easily and it has much more bass quantity than W4.  W4 sounded too smooth and veiled to me.

post #9 of 49
Thread Starter 

Is the bass overpowering in the JH5 though? Ive listened to a couple lower end earphones and the bass was decent but thats basically all they had going for them. They overpowered everything else and I dont want that. I like bass but im not looking for only bass
 

post #10 of 49

I love my JH5s. No problems with the fit from them, it's all about the impressions. You get bad impressions, and you won't like the fit. I strongly suggest you find a good audiologist, and ask for a slack-jaw/semi-open jaw impression. Not a full open-jaw as then when your mouth is closed the fit is painful, and closed mouth you will break seal every time you yawn, chew, ect.

They got the fit on the JH5s right the first time.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laslo View Post

Is the bass overpowering in the JH5 though? Ive listened to a couple lower end earphones and the bass was decent but thats basically all they had going for them. They overpowered everything else and I dont want that. I like bass but im not looking for only bass
 

That's pretty much what i'd say.

 

The bass is probably the best of BA drivers i've heard thus far (although i only have a couple). You're not going to get the overwhelming flood of bass you get from some dynamic drivers that i've tried, and it gives the sound a lot of body.

To the best of my current abilities, i would describe the JH5s as relatively neutral across the board with a good and fun amount of bass.

 

It's pretty much great across the board. I've got one pair of phones where the highs are detailed, crisp, and separated; and the lows are pretty good, but the mids were recessed to the point where alternative rock tracks sounded like the vocalist is standing 10ft back. This is not the case with the JH5.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrazino View Post

I thought the W4 is easily better than the JH5. I also preferred the UE4 to the JH.

 

The JH5 sounds grainy, bass-punchy (but not too good with subbass) and thin. I thought the overall presentation is very disharmonius, compared to the contenders. My opinion is based on a demonstration pair, though. However, I know at least a few people who shared my findings.

 

I also got annoyed by W4's upper bass, which is why I sold them. Looking forward to the Sennheiser IE 800!

Demonstration monitors aren't custom fitted are they? I'm pretty sure that makes a pretty huge difference. I mean, i wouldn't describe my JH5s as anything close to thin, and grainy.


Edited by dnullify - 5/9/12 at 3:20pm
post #11 of 49

how about 1964Q vs jh5? or TF10 reshelled by fisher vs jh5?

post #12 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversx View Post

how about 1964Q vs jh5? or TF10 reshelled by fisher vs jh5?

1964-Q vs JH5 : Flip a coin. The Q's will probably have a stronger low end, while the JH5's will give a mildly more balanced approach.

 

TF10 vs JH5: JH5. People who have gotten both have generally recommended going with the JH5's.

post #13 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laslo View Post

Is the bass overpowering in the JH5 though? Ive listened to a couple lower end earphones and the bass was decent but thats basically all they had going for them. They overpowered everything else and I dont want that. I like bass but im not looking for only bass
 

  It is a great all-rounder and truely improves with amping.  JH5 can go very loud with zero distortion.  It's a big bold sound but not all bassy.  Imagine W3 without the bass hump and a bit more midrange.  THAT is JH5.   Great IEM!    Hope that helps!

post #14 of 49
Thread Starter 

So custom molds make such a difference that 2 drivers sounds better than 4 in a universal IEM?

post #15 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laslo View Post

So custom molds make such a difference that 2 drivers sounds better than 4 in a universal IEM?

You're oversimplifying it. 

There's a lot more that goes into making custom IEM's than just driver count.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home