Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 6/6/12
- categoryIn Eartagged by System, 6/6/12
- productSony MDR-7550 In-Ear Monitors (IEM)tagged by a_recording, 5/22/13
- productSony MDR EX1000tagged by System, 6/6/12
- productSony MDR EX-1000tagged by System, 3/6/13
- productSony XBA-40/N Gold | Quad Balanced Armature In-Ear Headphones (Japanese Import)tagged by a_recording, 5/22/13
- productSony XBA-4SLtagged by System, 6/6/12
- productVSONIC GR07tagged by System, 6/6/12
- productWestone 4 True-Fit Earphonestagged by System, 6/6/12
Related Forum Threads
- Sennheiser IE80s vs. Utimate Ears UE900? Last post on 10/7/12 at 7:37pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Best IEM for $300? Last post on 7/31/12 at 10:13pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Improvement over GR07 Last post on 8/5/12 at 11:45pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- IEMs for deployment to Afghanistan? Last post on 7/25/12 at 12:06am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Sony EX300's fell apart, MDR-EX600 vs MDR-7550 vs XBA-4? Last post on 7/24/12 at 4:14am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/28/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 6/22/16
These headphones are much recommended online as a relatively cheap introduction into the world of high fidelity. They are functional and do not excessively grab attention visually. They are...
A very good DAC and headphone AMP for the price. A clear improvement in sound quality from my laptop for headphones, even ones that already sounded good, this gives a much cleaner,clearer and more...
This is my first really good quality Digital Audio Player. I have used a range of Audiophile headphones on it. If you're used to digital Sony Walkmans of days gone by you will recognize the simple,...
My favorite pair of headphones, and considering I own the Sennheiser HD598s, that is saying something. They look fantastic, very stylish indeed, they are extremely comfortable, infact the ear pads...
These are okay headphones if you can get them for a cheap price (sub £90 ) but probably aren't worth any more than that. Their build quality is solid, despite all the plastic used, and they can be...
[ REVIEW / COMPARISON ] Two Flagships Pass in the Night: Sony XBA-4 Review VS the MDR-EX1000 [Updated with 7550 and XBA-40!] - Page 17
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #242 of 2924/29/13 at 8:45pmpost #243 of 2924/30/13 at 8:42ampost #244 of 2924/30/13 at 9:19am
Thanks...! I got a bit confused cause I wasn't sure if the tips on the e-bay link you had provided earlier were mono- or bi-flange. I placed an order... looking forward to trying them outpost #245 of 2924/30/13 at 9:43amQuote:thos xba-40s look fakeOriginally Posted by darkportentpost #246 of 2924/30/13 at 10:31amQuote:Originally Posted by a_recording
I would imagine removing the foam dampers would just make the XBA-4's metallic tone reappear with a vengeance. I kind of feel like the EX1000 has the edge in crystalline clarity but in complex passages the XBA-4's armatures are able to layer better / more coherently. Hence why I like the EX1000 / 7550 for more acoustic music and the XBA-40 for more studio / synthetic tracks.post #247 of 2924/30/13 at 10:34amQuote:anyone?Originally Posted by rudeboybass
does anyone know if this will help the xba-4? convert to 16ohm, 32ohm?
which would be better for the e17?post #248 of 2924/30/13 at 4:44pm
I actually have the impedance adapter as I used to have some er4s', Using it with my xba-40s , it doesn't help it all if anything, it actually makes the sound thin and sounds like its coming out of a tin can.post #249 of 2924/30/13 at 7:38pmThread StarterQuote:
There's no filter, its just a cylinder of foam. Foam always changes the sound. Inks speculated that the only difference between the XBA-4 and 40 besides the cable change was a change in the density / type of foam used.post #250 of 2925/1/13 at 6:11amQuote:Originally Posted by darkportent
Is this the link to the tips you're referring to...? I was wondering which tips to get in order to improve the fit and sound of the XBA40....
btw i've had the XBA30 and XBA40 for a few days now and will be posting some impressions soon with my limited knowledge on how to describe what I can hear....will soon be able to compare their sound with the C&C BH and E11
It's interesting you found a very good synergy with the C5 which I have been contemplating for a while.... would be good to know how it compares to the E11 if the latter is available to you
I have T3D that is considered comparable to E11, XBA-40 + C5 (SQ = crystal clear/smooth presentation) is far better than XBA-40 + T3D(SQ = low is muddy with recessed Mid/high)post #251 of 2925/6/13 at 10:09am
I had a chance to hear the Japan EX1000 vs my US EX1000. And found that the US EX1000 was slightly more neutral whereas the Japan version was more bassier. Also the US EX1000 earpieces was more colder when I used it in the morning.
I understand the cable of the US version is not on par with that of the Japan version. Could that be the reason the US EX1000 is more neutral and well balanced?post #252 of 2925/6/13 at 4:52pmThread Starterpost #253 of 2926/19/13 at 10:42amQuote:
Hi I was wondering ...... You don't by chance have the iPhone 5 ?
and if so dose the C5 sound better/more detailed then iphone 5 when using XBA-40's
( will I get the wow factor that I'm after )
I recently got the fiio E12 which got good reviews paired with XBA-40's on a few threads I've read here.
But to my ears are no contest to iPhone 5
For just a great more detailed sound,
ps, I have XBA-4's and assume will preform similar to the 40'spost #254 of 2926/21/13 at 10:08pmpost #255 of 2926/22/13 at 8:36amWould pairing the XBA-4 with Sony's (higher quality) Walkman F Series also be a bad match? I understand the synergy between the XBA-4 and the Walkman Z Series is fairly good so the F Series, which is known for having better SQ, would I suppose have good synergy. Thoughts? Anybody tested this?
Edited by MagellanR14 - 6/22/13 at 9:06amReturn HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- [ REVIEW / COMPARISON ] Two Flagships Pass in the Night: Sony XBA-4 Review VS the MDR-EX1000 [Updated with 7550 and XBA-40!]
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › IEM's for under 400 US? 1 second ago
- › TRINITY - DELTA HYBRID V II 48 seconds ago
- › The Opamp thread 2 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW ... 2 minutes ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 7 minutes ago
- › Winter 2017 AAMML Holiday Gift Exchange 7 minutes ago
- › Venture Electronics VE Zen 2.0 impressions and discussion thread 10 minutes ago
- › Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (advanced wireless & microSD module for... 12 minutes ago
- › Official X1 2nd gen stable firmware discussion thread--version 1.5.3 13 minutes ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 13 minutes ago
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by theminstrel
- › FiiO E17 by theminstrel
- › Sony NWZ-A15 Walkman Video MP3 Player (16GB) - Black by theminstrel
- › AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-MSR7 by theminstrel
- › Shure SRH750 DJ Headphones (Black) by theminstrel
- › Sennheiser HD 449 Headphones by theminstrel
- › RHA Dacamp L1 by FortisFlyer75
- › AXGIO Dash Wireless Earbuds Cordless Running Jogging Bluetooth... by pkshiu
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by heliosphann
- › Beyerdynamic T5p Second Generation Audiophile Headphones by crabdog
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear