Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 6/6/12
- categoryIn Eartagged by System, 6/6/12
- productSony MDR-7550 In-Ear Monitors (IEM)tagged by a_recording, 5/22/13
- productSony MDR EX1000tagged by System, 6/6/12
- productSony MDR EX-1000tagged by System, 3/6/13
- productSony XBA-40/N Gold | Quad Balanced Armature In-Ear Headphones (Japanese Import)tagged by a_recording, 5/22/13
- productSony XBA-4SLtagged by System, 6/6/12
- productVSONIC GR07tagged by System, 6/6/12
- productWestone 4 True-Fit Earphonestagged by System, 6/6/12
Related Forum Threads
- Sennheiser IE80s vs. Utimate Ears UE900? Last post on 10/7/12 at 7:37pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Best IEM for $300? Last post on 7/31/12 at 10:13pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Improvement over GR07 Last post on 8/5/12 at 11:45pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- IEMs for deployment to Afghanistan? Last post on 7/25/12 at 12:06am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Sony EX300's fell apart, MDR-EX600 vs MDR-7550 vs XBA-4? Last post on 7/24/12 at 4:14am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 5/7/10
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
Thanks to Greed for a 10-day loan of his Ref 1 set, which I fully burnt-in and auditioned. This set had the uber cable. Super Brief Review (it's all just what my ears heard, if you love your...
This review is going to be updated once I receive a balanced cable and use this amp in balanced operation. I figured this amp needed a proper review on here, and there is a lot of good stuff to say...
Read a ton of reviews before purchasing. However, I will be honest and say that I was a bit let down by the bass. Don't get me wrong, its very detailed and balanced and perhaps there lies my issue,...
Schiit Ragnarok: Is It Love, or Is It Just Schiit? Introduction: This part is just to give you some background on my experience and how I’ve arrived at the Schiit Ragnarok before...
my repost from: http://www.head-fi.org/t/623894/review-logitech-ue9000-ultimate-ears-headphones-released-the-ue4000-ue6000-and-the-ue9000-impressions-thread/930 Just my two cents, to me, I feel...
[ REVIEW / COMPARISON ] Two Flagships Pass in the Night: Sony XBA-4 Review VS the MDR-EX1000... - Page 17
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #242 of 2854/29/13 at 8:45pmpost #243 of 2854/30/13 at 8:42ampost #244 of 2854/30/13 at 9:19am
Thanks...! I got a bit confused cause I wasn't sure if the tips on the e-bay link you had provided earlier were mono- or bi-flange. I placed an order... looking forward to trying them outpost #245 of 2854/30/13 at 9:43amQuote:thos xba-40s look fakeOriginally Posted by darkportentpost #246 of 2854/30/13 at 10:31amQuote:Originally Posted by a_recording
I would imagine removing the foam dampers would just make the XBA-4's metallic tone reappear with a vengeance. I kind of feel like the EX1000 has the edge in crystalline clarity but in complex passages the XBA-4's armatures are able to layer better / more coherently. Hence why I like the EX1000 / 7550 for more acoustic music and the XBA-40 for more studio / synthetic tracks.post #247 of 2854/30/13 at 10:34amQuote:anyone?Originally Posted by rudeboybass
does anyone know if this will help the xba-4? convert to 16ohm, 32ohm?
which would be better for the e17?post #248 of 2854/30/13 at 4:44pm
I actually have the impedance adapter as I used to have some er4s', Using it with my xba-40s , it doesn't help it all if anything, it actually makes the sound thin and sounds like its coming out of a tin can.post #249 of 2854/30/13 at 7:38pmThread StarterQuote:
There's no filter, its just a cylinder of foam. Foam always changes the sound. Inks speculated that the only difference between the XBA-4 and 40 besides the cable change was a change in the density / type of foam used.post #250 of 2855/1/13 at 6:11amQuote:Originally Posted by darkportent
Is this the link to the tips you're referring to...? I was wondering which tips to get in order to improve the fit and sound of the XBA40....
btw i've had the XBA30 and XBA40 for a few days now and will be posting some impressions soon with my limited knowledge on how to describe what I can hear....will soon be able to compare their sound with the C&C BH and E11
It's interesting you found a very good synergy with the C5 which I have been contemplating for a while.... would be good to know how it compares to the E11 if the latter is available to you
I have T3D that is considered comparable to E11, XBA-40 + C5 (SQ = crystal clear/smooth presentation) is far better than XBA-40 + T3D(SQ = low is muddy with recessed Mid/high)post #251 of 2855/6/13 at 10:09am
I had a chance to hear the Japan EX1000 vs my US EX1000. And found that the US EX1000 was slightly more neutral whereas the Japan version was more bassier. Also the US EX1000 earpieces was more colder when I used it in the morning.
I understand the cable of the US version is not on par with that of the Japan version. Could that be the reason the US EX1000 is more neutral and well balanced?post #252 of 2855/6/13 at 4:52pmThread Starterpost #253 of 2856/19/13 at 10:42amQuote:
Hi I was wondering ...... You don't by chance have the iPhone 5 ?
and if so dose the C5 sound better/more detailed then iphone 5 when using XBA-40's
( will I get the wow factor that I'm after )
I recently got the fiio E12 which got good reviews paired with XBA-40's on a few threads I've read here.
But to my ears are no contest to iPhone 5
For just a great more detailed sound,
ps, I have XBA-4's and assume will preform similar to the 40'spost #254 of 2856/21/13 at 10:08pmpost #255 of 2856/22/13 at 8:36amWould pairing the XBA-4 with Sony's (higher quality) Walkman F Series also be a bad match? I understand the synergy between the XBA-4 and the Walkman Z Series is fairly good so the F Series, which is known for having better SQ, would I suppose have good synergy. Thoughts? Anybody tested this?
Edited by MagellanR14 - 6/22/13 at 9:06amReturn HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- [ REVIEW / COMPARISON ] Two Flagships Pass in the Night: Sony XBA-4 Review VS the MDR-EX1000 [Updated with 7550 and XBA-40!]
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Rockbox for iBasso DX50 + cwm recovery Latest Update: 2014-09-15 5 seconds ago
- › New from Garage1217, the solid-state Project Polaris! 23 seconds ago
- › Ultrasone New performance Serie: 840, 860 & 880 1 minute ago
- › Post pic(s) of your latest "significant" purchase(s)!!! v2.0 1 minute ago
- › Should I get the Superlux HD 631 or Kicker HP402 1 minute ago
- › New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne" 2 minutes ago
- › Bakoon HPA-21 headphone amplifier 2 minutes ago
- › **MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread** 3 minutes ago
- › Pictures of Your *Budget-Fi* Portable Rig (< $200) 3 minutes ago
- › Dt990pro 250 are there any phones really better 4 minutes ago
- › Tralucent Audio Ref 1 by Kunlun
- › Violectric HPA V281 by saxelrod92
- › Yamaha EPH-100SL Inner-Ear Headphone by lumberjake
- › Schiit Audio Ragnarok by goldendarko
- › Ultimate Ears UE9000 Noise-Cancelling Wireless Headphones by SennsAsian
- › Crystal by MEElectronics In-Ear Headphones with Microphone Made... by indieman
- › Fidue A31s by djvkool
- › Blox BE3 by subwoof3r
- › Apple EarPods with Remote and Mic by donniefalcone
- › PCM-M10 Portable Digital Recorder by THD plus N
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)