I'm a little behind, but fantastic review! I've always had trouble find good sounding IEMs I can just tote with me anywhere and know they'll sound good. I have a couple of JLab IEMs which are okay I guess, but still searching!
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 6/6/12
- categoryIn Eartagged by System, 6/6/12
- productSony MDR-7550 In-Ear Monitors (IEM)tagged by a_recording, 5/22/13
- productSony MDR EX1000tagged by System, 6/6/12
- productSony MDR EX-1000tagged by System, 3/6/13
- productSony XBA-40/N Gold | Quad Balanced Armature In-Ear Headphones (Japanese Import)tagged by a_recording, 5/22/13
- productSony XBA-4SLtagged by System, 6/6/12
- productVSONIC GR07tagged by System, 6/6/12
- productWestone 4 True-Fit Earphonestagged by System, 6/6/12
Related Forum Threads
- Sennheiser IE80s vs. Utimate Ears UE900? Last post on 10/7/12 at 7:37pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Best IEM for $300? Last post on 7/31/12 at 10:13pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Improvement over GR07 Last post on 8/5/12 at 11:45pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- IEMs for deployment to Afghanistan? Last post on 7/25/12 at 12:06am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Sony EX300's fell apart, MDR-EX600 vs MDR-7550 vs XBA-4? Last post on 7/24/12 at 4:14am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 5/7/10
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
[ REVIEW / COMPARISON ] Two Flagships Pass in the Night: Sony XBA-4 Review VS the MDR-EX1000... - Page 15
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #212 of 2863/20/13 at 4:47pmThread StarterQuote:
Glad to hear you are enjoying them. Consider getting one of those channel reversing adapters if you are going to swap them around like that!
Okie. I'm super busy at the moment but I'll try to get an comparison up there in the next couple o weeks :3post #213 of 2863/23/13 at 6:06ampost #214 of 2864/4/13 at 3:13pmThread Starterpost #215 of 2864/4/13 at 10:09pmpost #216 of 2864/4/13 at 10:13pmThread Starterpost #217 of 2864/4/13 at 10:45pm
I meant funny in a good way.
Honestly, I don't hold any grudge against the SM3, apart from the fact that they were probably hyped too much for their own good.
As for neutrality, like MF said, it's a moving target. You preferring the 7550, SM3 (and most likely 334) just shows that your ears are still in better shape than mine, nothing more, nothing less.post #218 of 2864/5/13 at 5:35pm
You know, I got the xba 40 paired with the e11. I do agree that the xba 40 is a bit dark, but after some experiments I find that it's a bright iem if you so choose it to be. In fact, I felt the treble was a bit off, kind of veiled. All I did was replace the silicone tips that came with the xba 40 with normal black sony silicone tips and suddenly the treble became uncapped, it went up a pitch or 2 and felt more natural sounding, and airy. The bass was only affected by actually becoming more detailed 0_o, still as deep and rumbly as ever. I liked it before but now I really love it with the tip mod. I feel it didn't actually shift the entire sound spectrum upwards, but actually expanded it.
The story is that I once got the sony mdrex58v for $20, and I loved the crispness and clarity, but it broke. After getting the xba 40, i bought the 58v again to compare, and it was more detailed than the xba 40 to my slight disappointment. I then proceeded for sheeps and giggles to switch tips and the result is what you see in the 1st paragraph. I don't know if the tips from the mdrex58v is exactly what is being sold by sony on amazon though.post #219 of 2864/5/13 at 9:17pmpost #220 of 2864/5/13 at 9:53pmpost #221 of 2864/6/13 at 12:03am
I like the EX1000 with all my sources and don't feel their sound varies much. But my favorite with them would probably be the Graham Slee Voyager amp.
(Edit: just a word of caution, the GS Voyager isn't recommendable for BAs due to its high output impedance of 31 ohms.)
Edited by james444 - 4/6/13 at 8:56ampost #222 of 2864/7/13 at 4:28am
Spent the weekend with my slightly modded HFI 780 and my portable setup, I really liked and it produced quiet an enjoyable sound and for a moment I wondered why I bought the other headphone so I plugged in the EX1000 and have a listen and after the first track I remembered why I kept the EX1000. Time to spend the week with them once more.post #223 of 2864/8/13 at 7:40pmpost #224 of 2864/11/13 at 6:15amThread Starter
Today I had a chance to listen to the XBA-40 compared to the Westone 4R. They were actually quite comparable; both somewhat dark sounding earphones.
The XBA-40 was still a little bassier with the highs more rolled off compared to the 4R. The 4R sounded a bit more lively and balanced to my ears. In terms of actual soundstaging and detail retrieval though they were on par. This is great because it's a comparison I've been wanting to make for some time...post #225 of 2864/11/13 at 1:47pm
Interesting - I can safely write off the Westone 4R from my "check out" list then :) I´d really love to hear the UE900 and Earsonics SM64 some day though. I´ve decided to sell my XBA-40 after I received the EX-1000 this week. It´s a question of taste, but personally I don´t think they belong even remotely in the same league and at least discontinuing the EX1000 in many markets is a strange move as the XBA tuning is as far from the EX-series flagship as possible. Posted some brief impressions in the other long EX-1000 thread.
By the way I also received my O2/ODAC this week and they pair very nicely with the EX-1000. The EX-1000 seems to improve a lot by using a quality source/amp. The Sennheiser IE800 for example seems less amp-dependent so far.Return HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- [ REVIEW / COMPARISON ] Two Flagships Pass in the Night: Sony XBA-4 Review VS the MDR-EX1000 [Updated with 7550 and XBA-40!]
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Evshrug's "If I knew then what I know now" discussion journal. 44 seconds ago
- › ENIGMAcoustics Dharma 57 seconds ago
- › Westone W60 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › KOSS ESP-950 Thread 1 minute ago
- › FS: Fostex T10 & T20 (Vintage Orthodynamics) 1 minute ago
- › Headstage Arrow 3G Version 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Decrapifier released - USB power isolator 1 minute ago
- › What would you say are the best 3 IEM's out in the market now ? 1 minute ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 2 minutes ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 2 minutes ago
- › JVC HA-FX750 Wood Dome Unit Earphone by dnun8086
- › EarWerkz Supra by moedawg140
- › House of Marley - LEGEND ANC by White Lotus
- › Audio Technica S700BT by ironicinori
- › MP4Nation Brainwavz M1 by mark2410
- › DUNU DN-12 Trident by Ghoulcow
- › Audio Technica ATH-CKR10 IN-EAR HEADPHONE TITANIUM SONIC PRO DUAL... by acain
- › Woo Audio 2 by mikoss
- › KAM HP1 by LowDose
- › Schiit Vali by Mr Rick
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)