I'm a little behind, but fantastic review! I've always had trouble find good sounding IEMs I can just tote with me anywhere and know they'll sound good. I have a couple of JLab IEMs which are okay I guess, but still searching!
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 6/6/12
- categoryIn Eartagged by System, 6/6/12
- productSony MDR-7550 In-Ear Monitors (IEM)tagged by a_recording, 5/22/13
- productSony MDR EX1000tagged by System, 6/6/12
- productSony MDR EX-1000tagged by System, 3/6/13
- productSony XBA-40/N Gold | Quad Balanced Armature In-Ear Headphones (Japanese Import)tagged by a_recording, 5/22/13
- productSony XBA-4SLtagged by System, 6/6/12
- productVSONIC GR07tagged by System, 6/6/12
- productWestone 4 True-Fit Earphonestagged by System, 6/6/12
Related Forum Threads
- Sennheiser IE80s vs. Utimate Ears UE900? Last post on 10/7/12 at 7:37pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Best IEM for $300? Last post on 7/31/12 at 10:13pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Improvement over GR07 Last post on 8/5/12 at 11:45pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- IEMs for deployment to Afghanistan? Last post on 7/25/12 at 12:06am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Sony EX300's fell apart, MDR-EX600 vs MDR-7550 vs XBA-4? Last post on 7/24/12 at 4:14am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 5/7/10
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
I just received this device, along with a FiIO X5 to replace my now discontinued iPod classic. At first I liked this device - smaller, lighter than the FiIO, although only 1 slot. Shipped...
i just bought an Asus Vulcan pro gaming headset on a whim and I've gotta say I'm pleasantly surprised so I thought id share my experience. Now let me qualify this, I'm not saying they have the same...
Warm sound, good mid, great price Easy to drive compare with other studio headphone, there is shouldn't be too much complaint consider this headphone now only retail about $70 and sound really...
So the Pan Am from ALO Audio. This little guy is pretty dang impressive. An excellently-built, functioning desktop solution that is pretty easy on the eyes too! For the record, I've got the whole...
REVIEW: Brainwavz S5 Specifications: (from Brainwavz site) Driver: 10mm Dynamic Rated Impedance: 16 Ω Frequency Range: 18Hz - 24kHz Sensitivity: 110 dB @ 1 mW Cable: 1.3m,...
[ REVIEW / COMPARISON ] Two Flagships Pass in the Night: Sony XBA-4 Review VS the MDR-EX1000... - Page 15
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #212 of 2853/20/13 at 4:47pmThread StarterQuote:
Glad to hear you are enjoying them. Consider getting one of those channel reversing adapters if you are going to swap them around like that!
Okie. I'm super busy at the moment but I'll try to get an comparison up there in the next couple o weeks :3post #213 of 2853/23/13 at 6:06ampost #214 of 2854/4/13 at 3:13pmThread Starterpost #215 of 2854/4/13 at 10:09pmpost #216 of 2854/4/13 at 10:13pmThread Starterpost #217 of 2854/4/13 at 10:45pm
I meant funny in a good way.
Honestly, I don't hold any grudge against the SM3, apart from the fact that they were probably hyped too much for their own good.
As for neutrality, like MF said, it's a moving target. You preferring the 7550, SM3 (and most likely 334) just shows that your ears are still in better shape than mine, nothing more, nothing less.post #218 of 2854/5/13 at 5:35pm
You know, I got the xba 40 paired with the e11. I do agree that the xba 40 is a bit dark, but after some experiments I find that it's a bright iem if you so choose it to be. In fact, I felt the treble was a bit off, kind of veiled. All I did was replace the silicone tips that came with the xba 40 with normal black sony silicone tips and suddenly the treble became uncapped, it went up a pitch or 2 and felt more natural sounding, and airy. The bass was only affected by actually becoming more detailed 0_o, still as deep and rumbly as ever. I liked it before but now I really love it with the tip mod. I feel it didn't actually shift the entire sound spectrum upwards, but actually expanded it.
The story is that I once got the sony mdrex58v for $20, and I loved the crispness and clarity, but it broke. After getting the xba 40, i bought the 58v again to compare, and it was more detailed than the xba 40 to my slight disappointment. I then proceeded for sheeps and giggles to switch tips and the result is what you see in the 1st paragraph. I don't know if the tips from the mdrex58v is exactly what is being sold by sony on amazon though.post #219 of 2854/5/13 at 9:17pmpost #220 of 2854/5/13 at 9:53pmpost #221 of 2854/6/13 at 12:03am
I like the EX1000 with all my sources and don't feel their sound varies much. But my favorite with them would probably be the Graham Slee Voyager amp.
(Edit: just a word of caution, the GS Voyager isn't recommendable for BAs due to its high output impedance of 31 ohms.)
Edited by james444 - 4/6/13 at 8:56ampost #222 of 2854/7/13 at 4:28am
Spent the weekend with my slightly modded HFI 780 and my portable setup, I really liked and it produced quiet an enjoyable sound and for a moment I wondered why I bought the other headphone so I plugged in the EX1000 and have a listen and after the first track I remembered why I kept the EX1000. Time to spend the week with them once more.post #223 of 2854/8/13 at 7:40pmpost #224 of 2854/11/13 at 6:15amThread Starter
Today I had a chance to listen to the XBA-40 compared to the Westone 4R. They were actually quite comparable; both somewhat dark sounding earphones.
The XBA-40 was still a little bassier with the highs more rolled off compared to the 4R. The 4R sounded a bit more lively and balanced to my ears. In terms of actual soundstaging and detail retrieval though they were on par. This is great because it's a comparison I've been wanting to make for some time...post #225 of 2854/11/13 at 1:47pm
Interesting - I can safely write off the Westone 4R from my "check out" list then :) I´d really love to hear the UE900 and Earsonics SM64 some day though. I´ve decided to sell my XBA-40 after I received the EX-1000 this week. It´s a question of taste, but personally I don´t think they belong even remotely in the same league and at least discontinuing the EX1000 in many markets is a strange move as the XBA tuning is as far from the EX-series flagship as possible. Posted some brief impressions in the other long EX-1000 thread.
By the way I also received my O2/ODAC this week and they pair very nicely with the EX-1000. The EX-1000 seems to improve a lot by using a quality source/amp. The Sennheiser IE800 for example seems less amp-dependent so far.Return HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- [ REVIEW / COMPARISON ] Two Flagships Pass in the Night: Sony XBA-4 Review VS the MDR-EX1000 [Updated with 7550 and XBA-40!]
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › IPod Classic 160gb Black 7G MC297LL/A - Hardly used, FREE SHIP! 6 seconds ago
- › The Xiaomi Pistons Thread 26 seconds ago
- › Getting virtual surround sound with my DT 990 27 seconds ago
- › Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread 54 seconds ago
- › Band Name Game II 1 minute ago
- › DT 880 vs. DT 990 for classical music 1 minute ago
- › FS: Denon D7000 1 minute ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 2 minutes ago
- › DigiZoid ZO FS & ZO FS+ (a.k.a. ZO3) Updates & Discussion Thread 2 minutes ago
- › JVC HAFX1X Upgrade 2 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX90 Portable Digital Audio Player by RickFrank
- › ASUS Vulcan ANC Circumaural Pro Gaming Headset by robthebiggerman
- › AKG Acoustics K-240 Semi Open Studio Headphones by jerryg
- › ALO Audio The Pan Am by JoeDoe
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by Zelda
- › Tralucent Audio Ref 1 by Kunlun
- › Violectric HPA V281 by saxelrod92
- › Yamaha EPH-100SL Inner-Ear Headphone by lumberjake
- › Schiit Audio Ragnarok by goldendarko
- › Ultimate Ears UE9000 Noise-Cancelling Wireless Headphones by SennsAsian
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)