Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Wolfson DAC confirmed for Galaxy S3!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Wolfson DAC confirmed for Galaxy S3! - Page 41

post #601 of 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kojaku View Post

Wait so we still aren't ure the Pico DAC/Amp even works? I just bought one specifically for this purpose...can te guy who reported this let us know what's up? I'm getting the US version and I'd like to know if I made a bad choice...
Kojaku


I have an earlier version Pico Dac/Amp that im trying to get working with an international S3 so it may be different with a later version? I would love to know if you have a different result.

post #602 of 947

Received my S3 today. Plugged the HD 800s into it just like with the iphone 4 and galaxy Nexus. 

 

First impressions (take this with a grain of salt) 

It definitely lacks power. While the iPhone 4 could drive the HD 800 to satisfying volume without distortion at all, and the Nexus to near the same volume, the S3 is way lower. There is no hiss or distortion here either but it's just way too low. 

 

But the sound quality itself is good. No upper mids/treble muddiness like the Nexus what I can hear. But again it can't play very loud and hard to really hear at that volume. 

 

Will try to get my hands on lower impedance cans for a more fair comparison. 

post #603 of 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by ah_kap View Post


I have an earlier version Pico Dac/Amp that im trying to get working with an international S3 so it may be different with a later version? I would love to know if you have a different result.

 

akwok bought a new Pico DAC/Amp in April, and he says its just plug and play with his North American Galaxy S3.

HeadAmp Audio Electronics - home of the Pico and Gilmore amps.  Now with Audeze, Fostex, HiFiMAN, Sennheiser, and STAX.
Find us at www.HeadAmp.com

Reply
post #604 of 947
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by justin w. View Post

 

I'll be picking up a Galaxy S3, off-contract, so I can better investigate what works and what doesnt work.  But, it sounds like I'll have to decide if I should buy a US version or the international version.

 

Hi Justin!

 

Nice to see you here (I'm the guy who order the grey Pico USB DAC/amp about 10 days ago).

 

Once it arrives I will post my feedback about how it is working (or not) with the S3.

 

In terms of which to buy the international version will be the one with the largest user base, but I guess you need to buy the one most applicable to your buyer demographics. FWIW both the international and US variants *should* work the same in terms of how they handle USB audio, since this is unrelated to internal hardware differences between them as far as anyone is aware (to my knowledge, at least).

post #605 of 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by justin w. View Post

akwok bought a new Pico DAC/Amp in April, and he says its just plug and play with his North American Galaxy S3.

Has anything changed substantially firmware or build-wise that would make earlier or newer Pico DAC/Amps behave any differently than akwok's?

Kojaku
post #606 of 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kojaku View Post


Has anything changed substantially firmware or build-wise that would make earlier or newer Pico DAC/Amps behave any differently than akwok's?
Kojaku

 

No idea.  Nothing that I would have done.

HeadAmp Audio Electronics - home of the Pico and Gilmore amps.  Now with Audeze, Fostex, HiFiMAN, Sennheiser, and STAX.
Find us at www.HeadAmp.com

Reply
post #607 of 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by ah_kap View Post

 

Can you, or anyone else that has gotten this combination to work, give a little more detail as to how you got the Pico Dac/Amp working? such as firmware version? and US or international S3? I also have a Pico dac/amp but I cant get it to work with my international S3 on stock, or omega roms, siyah, ninphetamin, or fm kernels. I have tried to plug it in with Pico on/off, Pico cable connected first, otg cable connected first, etc, but no go...just so sad

 

As far as I understand, the Pico has been successfully tested  with the stock Galaxy S III.

 

If I were you, I would:

 

. test the USB OTG cable with another USB peripheral, a USB mouse for example

 

. publish a dmesg log output so that someone can analyse what is going on at the Android kernel level

dmesg: https://play.google.com/store/search?q=dmesg

http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs-how-to-increase-the-issues-priority-with-google/75#post_8469751

 

. test the Galaxy S III / Pico by using a powered USB hub: Galaxy S III > powered USB hub > Pico.

A small battery-powered hub can give all the power required by a USB DAC.

It can also power the Galaxy S III.

It could improve the sound quality of a USB DAC-based rig.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs-how-to-increase-the-issues-priority-with-google/165#post_8540151

post #608 of 947
Fyi selling my galaxy s with usb line out dock in classifieds.. Also in my signature..... Stull in disbelief that US s3 got jipped of the wolfson........ Maybe I'll have to switch to tmobile or att... And get an international s3?
post #609 of 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyogen View Post

Fyi selling my galaxy s with usb line out dock in classifieds.. Also in my signature..... Stull in disbelief that US s3 got jipped of the wolfson........ Maybe I'll have to switch to tmobile or att... And get an international s3?


I highly suggest asking that in the GS3 forums, either on XDA or Rootzwiki.  I am fairly certain that Verizon is a no-go because they are CDMA and LTE...  As for T-mobile or AT&T, it might or might not work depending on which frequency bands the phones support.  Also, there could be issues with registering the IMEI or ESN number on their networks.  I would do my research before trying that.

post #610 of 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBa View Post

 

As far as I understand, the Pico has been successfully tested  with the stock Galaxy S III.

 

If I were you, I would:

 

. test the USB OTG cable with another USB peripheral, a USB mouse for example

 

. publish a dmesg log output so that someone can analyse what is going on at the Android kernel level

dmesg: https://play.google.com/store/search?q=dmesg

http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs-how-to-increase-the-issues-priority-with-google/75#post_8469751

 

. test the Galaxy S III / Pico by using a powered USB hub: Galaxy S III > powered USB hub > Pico.

A small battery-powered hub can give all the power required by a USB DAC.

It can also power the Galaxy S III.

It could improve the sound quality of a USB DAC-based rig.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs-how-to-increase-the-issues-priority-with-google/165#post_8540151

 

I agree with the support from Headamp, they are great and very responsive!

 

DanBa, thanks for your constructive input, however, as you stated in your earlier post #549,  you got the pico working with your s3. Can you divulge a little more info as to your S3 setup? such as firmware version and international or US based S3? And if possible, how old you have had your Pico dac/amp? My Pico serial number is 678.( this seems pertinent as its seems there is a variation in results between an older/newer Pico).  I would like to clarify that I am using the same setup before I start debugging the issue.

 

FWIW

no go on usb powered hub

confirmed otg cable functionality with other usb devices (usb stick, usb keyboard, usb mouse)

 

Thanks for your assistance


Edited by ah_kap - 7/31/12 at 3:38am
post #611 of 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by ah_kap View Post

I agree with the support from Headamp, they are great and very responsive!

DanBa, thanks for your constructive input, however, as you stated in your earlier post #549,  you got the pico working with your s3. Can you divulge a little more info as to your S3 setup? such as firmware version and international or US based S3? And if possible, how old you have had your Pico dac/amp? My Pico serial number is 678.( this seems pertinent as its seems there is a variation in results between an older/newer Pico).  I would like to clarify that I am using the same setup before I start debugging the issue.

FWIW
no go on usb powered hub
confirmed otg cable functionality with other usb devices (usb stick, usb keyboard, usb mouse)

Thanks for your assistance

Hm...I think you're the only one who's mentioned having an international S3....maybe that's got something to do with it?

Is DanBa's SGS3 international?

Kojaku
post #612 of 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by ah_kap View Post

 

I agree with the support from Headamp, they are great and very responsive!

 

DanBa, thanks for your constructive input, however, as you stated in your earlier post #549,  you got the pico working with your s3. Can you divulge a little more info as to your S3 setup? such as firmware version and international or US based S3? And if possible, how old you have had your Pico dac/amp? My Pico serial number is 678.( this seems pertinent as its seems there is a variation in results between an older/newer Pico).  I would like to clarify that I am using the same setup before I start debugging the issue.

 

FWIW

no go on usb powered hub

confirmed otg cable functionality with other usb devices (usb stick, usb keyboard, usb mouse)

 

Thanks for your assistance

 

Sorry, I don’t have a Pico.

In the post #549, I quoted sentences from "nnotis" who reported the interworking between Pico and S3, and compared S3>USB out>Pico to S3>headphone out.

 

As far as I know, there are at least two people who have successfully tested the Pico with the S3:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/608535/wolfson-dac-confirmed-for-galaxy-s3/420#post_8495302

http://www.head-fi.org/t/608535/wolfson-dac-confirmed-for-galaxy-s3/480#post_8539705

 

How about a dmesg log output that can display messages exchanged between the S3 and the Pico?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dmesg

As you mentioned you have used some modded kernels, your S3 should be rooted, and you should have no difficulty to use a dmesg tool.

post #613 of 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBa View Post

 

Sorry, I don’t have a Pico.

In the post #549, I quoted sentences from "nnotis" who reported the interworking between Pico and S3, and compared S3>USB out>Pico to S3>headphone out.

 

As far as I know, there are at least two people who have successfully tested the Pico with the S3:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/608535/wolfson-dac-confirmed-for-galaxy-s3/420#post_8495302

http://www.head-fi.org/t/608535/wolfson-dac-confirmed-for-galaxy-s3/480#post_8539705

 

How about a dmesg log output that can display messages exchanged between the S3 and the Pico?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dmesg

As you mentioned you have used some modded kernels, your S3 should be rooted, and you should have no difficulty to use a dmesg tool.


Well,

 

I've sent PMs to each of the persons claiming compatibility to find out more details about their setups...We'll see what comes of it :)

 

Kojaku

post #614 of 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBa View Post

 

Sorry, I don’t have a Pico.

In the post #549, I quoted sentences from "nnotis" who reported the interworking between Pico and S3, and compared S3>USB out>Pico to S3>headphone out.

 

As far as I know, there are at least two people who have successfully tested the Pico with the S3:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/608535/wolfson-dac-confirmed-for-galaxy-s3/420#post_8495302

http://www.head-fi.org/t/608535/wolfson-dac-confirmed-for-galaxy-s3/480#post_8539705

 

How about a dmesg log output that can display messages exchanged between the S3 and the Pico?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dmesg

As you mentioned you have used some modded kernels, your S3 should be rooted, and you should have no difficulty to use a dmesg tool.

 

@DanBa -  thanks for pointing that original post out. my mistake.

 

Here is a dmesg log from my international S3 with the Pico attached at boot. I'm currently running Siyah Kernel v1.4.

 

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24975342/dmesg.txt


Edited by ah_kap - 7/31/12 at 8:31pm
post #615 of 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by ah_kap View Post

 

@DanBa -  thanks for pointing that original post out. my mistake.

 

Here is a dmesg log from my international S3 with the Pico attached at boot. I'm currently running Siyah Kernel v1.4.

 

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24975342/dmesg.txt

 

I'm assuming this is the important info:

 

 

<6>[   18.785098] c0 usb 2-1: new full speed USB device number 2 using s5p-ohci
<6>[   18.838900] c0 mif: link_pm_irq_handler: gpio [HWK] get [0]
<6>[   18.891467] c0 mif: link_pm_irq_handler: gpio [HWK] get [1]
<6>[   18.987146] c2 usb 2-1: New USB device found, idVendor=08bb, idProduct=2707
<6>[   18.987187] c2 usb 2-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
<6>[   18.987230] c2 usb 2-1: Product: USB Audio DAC   
<6>[   18.987257] c2 usb 2-1: Manufacturer: Burr-Brown from TI              
<3>[   19.007176] c0 3:0: cannot get min/max values for control 2 (id 3)
<4>[   19.054268] c0 generic-usb: probe of 0003:08BB:2707.0001 failed with error -62

 

but someone who knows more will have to say what a error -62 is.

HeadAmp Audio Electronics - home of the Pico and Gilmore amps.  Now with Audeze, Fostex, HiFiMAN, Sennheiser, and STAX.
Find us at www.HeadAmp.com

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Wolfson DAC confirmed for Galaxy S3!