Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Wolfson DAC confirmed for Galaxy S3!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Wolfson DAC confirmed for Galaxy S3! - Page 15

post #211 of 947
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny93 View Post

Oh...do you not have it anymore? Was it like a demo for an hour or so...

 

Yeah, only two hours with the phone unfortunately, but I was lucky to even have that really (thanks to a very generous person who went out of his way on the weekend to allow me to have some time with the S3). If I still had it I would definitely be saying more about the audio quality!

post #212 of 947

So, does it arrive in NZ and Europe next week?  In the US, we won't be seeing it until mid-July :(

post #213 of 947
Thread Starter 

Next week here and Europe :)

 

Should get mine on release 31st our time (30th Stateside), although hoping to get it earlier from the distribution centre via a contact :)

post #214 of 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomZash View Post

 

TF10 is 32ohms, not something I would call high impedance. Though it may help, any modern smartphone shouldn't need an amp.

 

to answer your question....sorry I don't know the exact number but you shouldn't worry


Obviously you're not familiar with the output impedance of an amplifier.

 

The TF10 have a wild impedance distribution thus i you don't plug them to a source with less than 2 ohms of  output impedance you'll get a hole in the frequency response (In the treble in the case of TF10s).

 

An as of now the only smartphones with less than 2 Ohms of output impedance are the iPhones. That's the objective truth that i wish the S3 can change.

 

For the record:

 

there are two reasons to need an amp when driving headphones:

 

1. Volume

2. Linearty

 

The TF10's as most multidriver armatures are likely to need an amp in order to get a linear signal.


Edited by elfary - 5/22/12 at 12:26am
post #215 of 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZtechfreak View Post
Yeah, only two hours with the phone unfortunately, but I was lucky to even have that really (thanks to a very generous person who went out of his way on the weekend to allow me to have some time with the S3). If I still had it I would definitely be saying more about the audio quality!

 

Ahh I see...sorry about that! 

 

Well it shouldnt be too long now before we have some opinions on it :D 

 

But i still cant decide if i should preorder or wait to see what comes up on ebay...confused_face_2.gif

post #216 of 947

Great review here for SQ comparing it against HTC One X

From 11:17 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BhUHbITel0&feature=related

 

"We guess you can get kinda of a beats like sound on the GS3 if you choose the right equaliser preset!" funnylaugh.gif


Edited by danny93 - 5/22/12 at 6:13am
post #217 of 947

I really hate touchscreens, but a Wolfson chip plus a 128gb capacity might turn my head on this baby.

post #218 of 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProcessJunkie View Post

I really hate touchscreens, but a Wolfson chip plus a 128gb capacity might turn my head on this baby.

…what?
post #219 of 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by skamp View Post


…what?

Storage capacity.

post #220 of 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfary View Post


Obviously you're not familiar with the output impedance of an amplifier.

 

The TF10 have a wild impedance distribution thus i you don't plug them to a source with less than 2 ohms of  output impedance you'll get a hole in the frequency response (In the treble in the case of TF10s).

 

An as of now the only smartphones with less than 2 Ohms of output impedance are the iPhones. That's the objective truth that i wish the S3 can change.

 

For the record:

 

there are two reasons to need an amp when driving headphones:

 

1. Volume

2. Linearty

 

The TF10's as most multidriver armatures are likely to need an amp in order to get a linear signal.


I can't seem to find the output impedance of the Galaxy S and family.  Do you happen to know what it is?  Also, can you give your opinion of driving the following headsets with Voodoo'ed Galaxy S?

Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro (250 ohm)

Yuin PK3  (32 ohm)

 

Lastly, to try to keep on-topic, is the output impedance of the GS3 mostly a factor of the Wolfson audio hub itself or is there other circuitry added by Samsung to the headphone output stage?

post #221 of 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProcessJunkie View Post

Storage capacity.

And how do you figure 128 GB?
post #222 of 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by skamp View Post


And how do you figure 128 GB?


64GB internal + 64GB micosd

 

On another note, the GS3 will join the ranks of the phones that support USB OTG, so one can jack in their external hard drive.  Anybody know how much current the micro-USB port on the GS3 will output?  If one purchased a low-power SSD, I could easily see the GS3 being able to power it just fine and have a nice, quiet, fast, storage solution.

post #223 of 947
Thread Starter 

I confirmed that portable 500GB drives can be run from the S3 without external power in the hands-on I had over the weekend (check AndroidNZ.net for full details).

 

I hope the Sandisk 128GB cards come soon, then I'll be able to fit my whole collection as FLACs on there in combination with the internal storage and still have enough for other uses.

post #224 of 947
Dear folks, in advance of the launch of Galaxy S3 and Voodoo installation, please advise if I've got the below steps correct:

1) Root S3 as per Redmondpie guide : http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-root-galaxy-s-iii/

2) Download and flash Odin version of Voodoo 5.5.3 : http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=806195 (since Redmondpie's root guide is based on Odin)

3) Download and install Voodoo Sound Plus app from Google Play.

Anything I've missed?
Edited by wwyjoe - 5/24/12 at 6:51pm
post #225 of 947
Thread Starter 

The S3 is not yet supported by Voodoo Sound, so I would not recommend flashing it until Supercurio updates it to work with the S3.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Wolfson DAC confirmed for Galaxy S3!