Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Wolfson DAC confirmed for Galaxy S3!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Wolfson DAC confirmed for Galaxy S3! - Page 9

post #121 of 947

Well the GSIII available to me won't have the Wolfson chip because I live in the US. I personally don't like the aesthetics of the GSII, it just looks too vanilla to me. I preferred the very basic, squared feel of the international variant of the GSII:

 

11x0428gsii.jpg

 

Samsung_Galaxy_S3_02-580-90.JPG

 

The GSIII just looks like a big boat or something. I'm not a huge fan of either design but the new one just looks bloated to me. I'm really not a fan of Samsung's overall aesthetic approach to phones, both in terms of phone design and the Touchwiz graphics. They are just really lame and boring to me. Obviously I would get rid of Touchwiz, but still, the phone's whole shape is just bloated and vanilla to my eyes.

 

If Supercurio cracks the DAC on the S4 and unleashes the kind of versatility seen on the Nexus S and original GS, then I might compromise. But...ew.


Edited by Gilly87 - 5/13/12 at 7:55am
post #122 of 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilly87 View Post

Well the GSIII available to me won't have the Wolfson chip because I live in the US. I personally don't like the aesthetics of the GSII, it just looks too vanilla to me. I preferred the very basic, squared feel of the international variant of the GSII:

 

The GSIII just looks like a big boat or something. I'm not a huge fan of either design but the new one just looks bloated to me. I'm really not a fan of Samsung's overall aesthetic approach to phones, both in terms of phone design and the Touchwiz graphics. They are just really lame and boring to me. Obviously I would get rid of Touchwiz, but still, the phone's whole shape is just bloated and vanilla to my eyes.

 

If Supercurio cracks the DAC on the S4 and unleashes the kind of versatility seen on the Nexus S and original GS, then I might compromise. But...ew.

Ahh I see...well I always put on a nice case and this changes significantly how the phone feels and looks so that doesnt bother me too much tbh, I had the international S2 and have to admit from the photos I actually prefer the look of the S3...the S2 is sooo basic it just looks like a rectangle lol, and the sharp edges isnt a nice feel in the hand...so Im glad they went for a more curved shape biggrin.gif 

Theres a reason why most phones are shaped like that haha 

post #123 of 947
post #124 of 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilly87 View Post

Well the GSIII available to me won't have the Wolfson chip because I live in the US. I personally don't like the aesthetics of the GSII, it just looks too vanilla to me. I preferred the very basic, squared feel of the international variant of the GSII:

 

11x0428gsii.jpg

 

Samsung_Galaxy_S3_02-580-90.JPG

 

The GSIII just looks like a big boat or something. I'm not a huge fan of either design but the new one just looks bloated to me. I'm really not a fan of Samsung's overall aesthetic approach to phones, both in terms of phone design and the Touchwiz graphics. They are just really lame and boring to me. Obviously I would get rid of Touchwiz, but still, the phone's whole shape is just bloated and vanilla to my eyes.

 

If Supercurio cracks the DAC on the S4 and unleashes the kind of versatility seen on the Nexus S and original GS, then I might compromise. But...ew.

You're not the only person disappointed, I've been looking around the Canadian mobile sites and it looks like the GSIII in Canada will be a dual core and not a quad core. I'm guessing the DAC will also be thumbed down. Looks like it's an iPhone life for me for the next 3 years. If I have to put up with lower hardware specs I'd rather do it with a handset that's turn on load up and go and not worry about it. The attraction for me as far as Sammy was concerned was more powerful hardware that could be tuned to how I liked it now that that idea has been sunk I'll go with another option. I'm not going to pay premium for a lower spec handset that requires me screwing around with it for God knows how long to get it the way I like it.


Edited by DigitalFreak - 5/13/12 at 6:13pm
post #125 of 947

Sounds as if some of us will either wait for the international version to come down in price or the specs of the Nexus version -- should there be one -- to appear. 

 

But that's assuming everyone who cares about audio quality (including supercurio) supports your conclusion about the sound quality of the Krait DAC's implementation. 

 

Also:  We haven't seen what U.S. carriers will do with the GSIII's form yet.  After all, the Evo LTE looks a bit different from the One X.  And photos never convey the experience of handling the actual object.


Edited by scrypt - 5/14/12 at 3:51am
post #126 of 947

I wouldn't jump to conclusions so fast, guys.  The dual core Krait generally outperforms the Exynos 4 Quad.  We haven't seen (or heard) comprehensive analysis of the DAC or output stage, or ability to modify the kernel for proper sound.

There are a lot of factors that are unknown at this time, and will likely remain unknown until after the release of the handset. 

 

I won't knock the iPhone owners (too bad), but even the best DAC on the planet couldn't sway me into their locked garden prison ecosystem.  I mean, just get DAP if sound is that important to you...


Edited by headfinoob - 5/13/12 at 9:25pm
post #127 of 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by headfinoob View Post

I wouldn't jump to conclusions so fast, guys.  The dual core Krait generally outperforms the Exynos 4 Quad.  We haven't seen (or heard) comprehensive analysis of the DAC or output stage, or ability to modify the kernel for proper sound.

There are a lot of factors that are unknown at this time, and will likely remain unknown until after the release of the handset. 

 

I won't knock the iPhone owners (too bad), but even the best DAC on the planet couldn't sway me into their locked garden prison ecosystem.  I mean, just get DAP if sound is that important to you...


No offense but in this day and age there's no such thing as a completely open garden. Most iPhone people just go the jailbreak route anyways.

post #128 of 947
Quote:

Originally Posted by headfinoob View Post

 

I won't knock the iPhone owners (too bad), but even the best DAC on the planet couldn't sway me into their locked garden prison ecosystem.  I mean, just get DAP if sound is that important to you...

 

I totally agree with you as the sound quality plays a very small role when I choose my cellphone. I'd rather have better battery time than sound quality. Ppl are either over optimastic of a new product or they never heard hi-def source from a decent DAP to know the difference. If you are like me, who use cellphone play mp3 while at gym or jogging, most cellphone will be sufficient to get the job done (even the SGS2). No one should want to be totally submerged in music appreciation while in public or on the move anyways (hazardous). If you want really care about sound quality, spend some $$ and get a dedicate DAP. The SG from even the best sounded cellphone is NOT able to compete with a mid-range DAP (Cowon,Hifiman and etc).

 

Whether it is Wolfson, TI or Yamaha, these chips are low power DAC which prioritize power consumpution and cost than sound quality. Especially with ever demanding CPU (quadcore), LTE data, huge AMOLED, and capable GPU for 3D games all sucking juice from that 3.7v 2000mah battery, DAC in cellphone is on the bottom of list for cellphone manufactures. Not to mention they have to crowd everything into a case no thicker than your mouse pad lol (prone to interference). Unfortunately, cellphone manufacture will not be interested in improving sound quality, at least not at the cost of CPU, GPU, LCD, storage or cost. Heck, I bet they think a "white" color case is more important than a better DAC.tongue.gif After all, the sound quality coming out from a cellphone (even the medicore SGS2) is fine to most of the consumers.

 

It is much easier to market say 1080p AMOLED or desktop equivalent GPU than a better DAC, which can only be distinguished when all these are present, hi-def source file, expensive headphone and trained ears. It will be hilarious if a manufacture did able to implement a 123dB SNR Burr-Brown PCM1796 into their cellphone and then advertise it with the included $5 headset. etysmile.gif  For anyone who hasnt been living under rock for the last couple of years, knew the industry is geared toward mobile gaming instead audiophile DAP. Even product like iphone which was originally evolved from a music player (ipod) never bother to either improve or advertise its DAC's sound capability over generations.

post #129 of 947

For those who are dissapointed grab a Sony Z1060 or Z1070 Android its the best DAP out now without a doubt...sounds better than my RWA iMod and many are saying it competes with the IBasso DAP DX1000 or something, its android too so you can enjoy all the benefits of that, you can root it np either! Battery life i found to be great if wifi is off (or in Airplane mode) and brightness is turned down a bit...just another option for you guys

 

Also i think these are the same card...but one ebay seller is saying its cass 6 and the other class 10 which one is it? haha 

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320904359373&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123#ht_2540wt_1396

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330715334249?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_2524wt_1163


Edited by danny93 - 5/14/12 at 2:55am
post #130 of 947

That 1070 looks scrumptious (queue the ooh), but I doubt I'll be grabbing, fingering or otherwise groping a music player I've only seen listed for $628 as a 64GB Japanese import or $328 for the 32GB model on Diaphragmazon.

 

The problem is that many of us find ourselves (how often do you look for yourself?) having room for only one dinky item in our pocket, and said dink has to be able to take phone calls.  Once we've reached our destination and things are less frenetic, we can choose a different source, such as that laptop or tablet in our bag or the drawerful o' players in a desk away from home.

 

Also:  The more devices we carry, the greater the chances of our misplacing at least one when temporary ADHD turns us into bad jugglers.  Carrying yet another expensive fistful of hardware means placing an even higher bet on the lot's not being stolen, broken or lost.


Edited by scrypt - 5/14/12 at 5:01am
post #131 of 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrypt View Post

That 1070 looks scrumptious (queue the ooh), but I doubt I'll be grabbing, fingering or otherwise groping a music player I've only seen listed for $628 as a 64GB Japanese import or $328 for the 32GB model on Diaphragmazon.  If I were mapping that route, the HM601 would look to be the better option Stateside.

 

The problem is that many of us find ourselves having room for only one small item in our pocket in addition to a laptop or tablet, and that small item has to be able to take phone calls.  Once we've reached our destination and things are quieter, we can choose a different source (which is why a lot of my players are in my desk away from home).

 

Also:  The more devices we carry, the greater the chances of our misplacing at least one when temporary ADHD turns us into bad jugglers.  Carrying yet another expensive fistful of hardware means placing an even higher bet on the lot's not being stolen, broken or lost.

The price of the Z is one hell of a deal! It has reported better sound than the HM801 so forget about the 601...i can only compare to the iMOD but as I say it bats that with ease and its less than 1cm thick which is easily portable in my eyes...anyway go check the thread its a wonderful DAP that is unrivalled in my book! The only DAP that has better sound accordig to loads of people is the iBasso brick which is 3X more expensive and is HUGE and is buggy and well I think i have derailed this thread for long enough...just try and get a demo somehow haha 

post #132 of 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny93 View Post

The price of the Z is one hell of a deal! It has reported better sound than the HM801 so forget about the 601...i can only compare to the iMOD but as I say it bats that with ease and its less than 1cm thick which is easily portable in my eyes...anyway go check the thread its a wonderful DAP that is unrivalled in my book! The only DAP that has better sound accordig to loads of people is the iBasso brick which is 3X more expensive and is HUGE and is buggy and well I think i have derailed this thread for long enough...just try and get a demo somehow haha 

 

 

Dear Danny.....................YOU MADE YOUR POINT.......and I do agree with you....The Sony Z, is a complete package when compared to others.

post #133 of 947
Compromise? Those are class 10 cards. Where's the compromise? :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by headfinoob View Post


SD Card Class is a compromise though.  It would probably be better to get one depending on the usage scenario.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/microsdhc-memory-card-performance,3011.html
post #134 of 947

Just a fyi - it's confirmed Sammy will be making the next Nexus device, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrypt View Post

Sounds as if some of us will either wait for the international version to come down in price or the specs of the Nexus version -- should there be one -- to appear. 

 

But that's assuming everyone who cares about audio quality (including supercurio) supports your conclusion about the sound quality of the Krait DAC's implementation. 

 

Also:  We haven't seen what U.S. carriers will do with the GSIII's form yet.  After all, the Evo LTE looks a bit different from the One X.  And photos never convey the experience of handling the actual object.

post #135 of 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilly87 View Post
Compromise? Those are class 10 cards. Where's the compromise? :P
I too was confused with that haha...I did read that review though so thanks for the link  headfinoob!

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by turokrocks View Post

Dear Danny.....................YOU MADE YOUR POINT.......and I do agree with you....The Sony Z, is a complete package when compared to others.

I obviously didnt as he was thinking of going for a HM601...confused.gif but now i feel he´s better informed 


Edited by danny93 - 5/14/12 at 7:57am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Wolfson DAC confirmed for Galaxy S3!