- 4,101 Posts. Joined 12/2010
- Location: West Coast
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- dilemma in choosing portable player - Rocoo P / HM601 slim Last post on 7/27/12 at 6:57am in Portable Source Gear
- Can anyone point me towards a good DAP for under $250? Last post on 12/8/12 at 8:09pm in Portable Source Gear
- dont know what portable music player to buy Last post on 11/3/12 at 10:36pm in Portable Source Gear
- [ASK] Best Dap / mp3 player for Shure Se215 T___T Last post on 7/21/12 at 1:09pm in Portable Source Gear
- ibasso d4/d6 or hm601/602 for hd598+ie8 with galaxy s Last post on 4/13/11 at 7:23am in Headphones (full-size)
"In a cold world of flagships, the LCD-4 gives me the warmth I have been asking for." -Probably someone...
This review is for someone looking for a good pair of in-ear headphones after using over-ear phones; that's the situation where I am coming from at least, as I have been using Sennheiser's HD598...
I was excited to be approached by world famous cable artisan company 'Effect Audio' and asked me to provide a review of their recently released Ares II + Plus Edition IEM cable. This cable is...
This is my second attempt at using a portable amp (I returned my Fiio E12A for this). That was a good decision. The Cayin C5 is an absolute powerhouse. It can power IEM's and earbuds...
Introduction/Disclaimer I was given this sample in exchange for my honest opinion and impressions. I would especially like to thank Kathryn for getting in touch for purpose of this review. I...
Wolfson DAC confirmed for Galaxy S3! - Page 8
Gear mentioned in this thread:
As any good audio designer will tell you, implementation is more important than the hardware. The whole Wolfson thing is blown way out of proportion by those who don't know what they don't know. In well designed circuits, with all factors being equal, the latest AKM and Sabre chips, spank the living snot out of Wolfson.
Agree with NuckinFutz entirely, but careful NuckinFutz, speaking the truth in these forums isn't always appreciated.
The 2x is well known to be worse than other Wolfson DAC Android's because of the implementation, and over the weekend I had occasion to listen to a Motorola Photon (Tegra 2/Wolfson) and noted quite a lot of hiss likely related to CPU that I simply don't hear on a Voodoo'd SGS1. There is more to it than simply which DAC is used.
To the people disagreeing, no reason to take just our word for it - ask Supercurio and he'll tell you.
I used SGS1 with stock Samsung firmware and no Voodoo Sound - sound was definitely worse than just about any of my other MP3 players (iPod Touch 4G, iPod Classic, Samsung YP-T9). Wolfson DAC gives the phone potential to sound good, but stock manufacturer implementation can still be awful. Which is why we should thank Supercurio for his app :)
Found out some more stuff about Samsung's stock ICS firmwares today when I updated my Note to ICS, full details here: http://www.androidnz.net/2012/05/samsung-galaxy-s3-more-secrets-revealed.html
Interesting stuff was that USB OTG support seems significantly expanded on previous firmwares, and I expect the S3 will feature all the same support. PS3 controllers and Midi devices working where the didn't previously. Sadly my E17 was still a no-go, but it does make me a little more hopeful about that USB Audio driver that is present in the S3 (but not presently known whether it is functioning or not).
Edited by NZtechfreak - 5/12/12 at 6:05am
Points of interest so far could prove boss and keen if we sorted them. If I've understood the previous posts (and please flail free to correct), then this is what's been said:
1. The Wolfson DAC is promising specifically because supercurio expects to be able to work with it, and because in the past, it and/or its implementation have proved to be better than that of the Yamaha in the SGII. We can't be certain because the phone hasn't been used or tested, but that's how it looks so far.
2. Unfortunately, in the States (according to one report), it's possible this phone will use the same chipset as the One X. Without our being able to verify this, or what it will mean ultimately in terms of SQ, it sounds as if the international version of the phone could prove more desirable than carrier iterations stateside if the former works as well with Voodoo Control as the original GS but Stateside iterations do not.
3. Someone has pointed to GSM Arena's review of the One S and said that its sound output using the S4 Krait was the cleanest the reviewers had ever tested, and concluded that this is an indication the Krait in an SGIII might be quite good despite user reports re the One X. But since the test scores of, and glowing statements about, SQ occur in the One S review as opposed to the review of the One X, which was decidedly less enthusiastic and yielded worse results, I'd be super-curious to know the exact difference between the One S and One X, DAC- and implementation-wise. (While the international One X uses the Tegra quad-core processor, the Stateside version uses the same dual-core Qualcomm S4 as the One S, so which iteration of the One X have people been testing? If both have been the U.S. version (unlikely), then what's creating the difference in test results? And how are SQ test results on the EVO 4G LTE, which is essentially a One X with the dual-core S4 and additional perks, such as Micro SD and a bigger battery?)
4. The mystery of USB audio continues to poke us vigorously with its ectoplasmic forefinger, since supercurio happened to spy the apparent components of its implementation. Still, mams is the word (tickle-tickle) and here endeth the speculation.
Edited by scrypt - 5/12/12 at 11:02am
I have the international One X (fortunately a freebie) and the sound quality is very mediocre. I expect that the AT&T One X and the Evo 4g LTE will be more like the One S for sound quality because the DAC should be the same one bundled with the S4 Krait, but that isn't a given obviously. We should have GSMArena's RMAA recordings for the Evo 4G LTE soon, since they're reviewing it.
Edited by NZtechfreak - 5/12/12 at 11:38am
Thanks for the feedback (and, as I just told your reputation field, that is one generous freebie). I'm seeing your verdict of the One X's SQ repeated in other forums. It will be interesting to watch the edges of that glinting pronouncement blur as its blade pierces the oceanic consumer population.
One would guess the SQ would be the same given the S4 as opposed to the Tegra, but in the spirit of relentless skepticism, and the many finger-wagging admonishments of Those Who Know on this special thread, I thought it prudent (and prune-like) to ask what the differences might be (and in fact I'm still askin').
I'll be interested to read GSM[ ]Arena's results on the Evo 4 LTE. Still, I wish they'd go into more detail about the innards of the devices they're prodding.
Likewise, would be nice to know the actual DAC. If any owners are here you can install a program called Voodoo Report and it will send Supercurio a detailed log from which he may be able to identify the DAC. I've looked at logs for the international One X but they only reference a model number and Google is unenlightening after that (also I have no talent, unlike Supercurio), but the logs for the S4 devices may be more enlightening.
What class memory card should i be looking at...is class 6 the fastest that it will be able to utilise or will class 10 be faster?
Will this be alright do you think? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Platinum-64GB-Class-SDXC-Memory/dp/B0063QGWZM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1336904696&sr=8-2
Class 10 is the best
Thats a regular SD, though; you almost 100% definitely want a MicroSD if its for a portable media player/Android phone.
This is what you are looking for:
Edited by Gilly87 - 5/13/12 at 5:43am
Who knows, we might see something out of Supercurio for the US GSIII despite the lack of a Wolfson DAC; he seems to be a fan of Galaxy phones in general, as he has made cracks for the GSII and GNexus despite the lack of a Wolfson chip.
Thanks for the replies guys!
Still cant decide if i should go for 64GB or 32GB What are most people swaying towards? Also blue or white is a tough one, I always just get black and keep it simple but I may mix it up this time haha and go for white, do they tend to discolour, would appreciate any feedback from people who had a white GS2!
I work for TMobile and all the white GSIIs I've seen seem to hold their color pretty well.
Personally I can't wait for the next Nexus device. If it has microSD support I will almost definitely be buying it.
Ahh thanks for that!
How comes you prefer Nexus over GSIII, is it because its pure android? If you root it you can install ROM´s that remove the bloatware that Samsung put on and make it pure too...hardware wise I think it will be hard to beat the GSIII IMO, especially with the implementation of the Wolfson
- Wolfson DAC confirmed for Galaxy S3!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › The discovery thread.! New NiceHCK DZ7 1DD+6 BA iem impression by... 1 minute ago
- › Three Word Story 2 minutes ago
- › Cartoon Discussion Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 4 minutes ago
- › The DX90 by iBasso . . . Sound impressions . . . . . . . New... 6 minutes ago
- › Recommend me a high quality recording of Carmina Burana 6 minutes ago
- › AKG N40 8 minutes ago
- › AUDIO over IP - REDNET 3 & 16 Review. AES67 Sets A New Standard... 9 minutes ago
- › Roon is live 10 minutes ago
- › Shozy Zero: $50 IEMs with real rosewood, taking on the $500 big boys! 10 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-4 by Dillan
- › Sennheiser IE80 by AnssiRai
- › Effect Audio Ares II + Plus Edition IEM cable by sonickarma
- › Cayin C5 Portable HIFI Audio Headphone Amplifier by Tayyab Pirzada
- › Edifier S1000DB Audiophile Active Bookshelf Speakers - Bluetooth... by dnun8086
- › Sennheiser Momentum Wireless Over Ear Headphones by Llloyd
- › Simaudio 230HAD by sheldaze
- › FiiO L9 L-Shaped Line Out Dock (LOD) Cable For iPod and iPhone by ryanjsoo
- › Espressivo-E by Feliks Audio by thatonenoob
- › B&O Beoplay H6 (2nd generation) by istirsin
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...