I'm looking to get the HE-500 or HE-5LE, but I've heard that their highs can be tiring very quickly, and I heard that Tube amps like the Schiit Lyr are good paired with it. Can anyone give any experience?
- productHiFiMAN HE-500tagged by System, 3/1/13
Related Forum Threads
- Question: LCD 2.2<<HE 500<< LCD 3? Last post on Today at 2:58 am in Headphones (full-size)
- Ranking of 17 DACs and DAC Configurations Last post on Today at 8:54 am in Dedicated Source Components
- HE-500 what amp(maybe dac) for $250-350 ? Last post on Yesterday at 2:55 pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Yet another HD800 thread... Last post on Yesterday at 4:27 am in Headphones (full-size)
- WTB Hifiman HE-500 with delivery to UK Last post on 12/3/13 at 1:57pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/5/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)Last edited: 12/28/12
This is the veteran ex-flagship model from FitEar／須山補聴器 before the Mitsuharu Harada series (MH335DW) was released recently. The C435 is a 4 way crossover configuration, 5 drivers (2 highs, 2 mids 1...
I've spent the past week auditioning these new VSD1S by VSonic. Before this I was listening extensively to my dual dynamics JVC FXT90's and my dual armature UE 700. For a single dynamic driver that...
I started this review with the intention of pointing out the things I don't like about it, but man, there really isn't much I don't love about these. Out of the box they sound very thin and...
It does a good job as a DAC for my starving student amp. Eventually, I will probably upgrade but it works well enough. It is nice that it powers off of USB and doesn't take up tons of space.
The review is based on the stock pads, not based on the upgraded velour pads. The only problem with the sound quality is a weird color in the upper mids, around vocal range. This is due to the...
Solid State or Tube Amp for HE-500?post #1 of 275/3/12 at 3:05pmThread Starter
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #2 of 275/3/12 at 3:09pmpost #3 of 275/3/12 at 4:28pmpost #4 of 275/3/12 at 4:46pmQuote:
I had this setup. It was incredible!! Jinks Chrispost #5 of 275/3/12 at 4:57pmQuote:
The HE-500 is very natural sounding, it's not overly bright or fatiguing at all.
It is great off solid state or tube. By the way, the Lyr really isn't all that tubey, it's a hybrid, so you're listening to solid state and tube.
Just get something reliable that generates more than 1 watt and go with it. You can do it for $200 or up to whatever you want to spend to achieve that (some 1 watters are the NFB-12.1 (more like 3 watts) and the Asgard (1.3ish watts).
I use both the Asgard & Lyr with my HE500. The Asgard is a touch brighter. The Lyr has more low end warmth.
Very best,post #6 of 275/3/12 at 7:10pmpost #7 of 275/3/12 at 7:17pm
I found that my Concerto ran out of gas with the HE-500's. Certainly good to a point, but not optimum. Channel Islands VHP-1/VAC-1 has more grunt, but still not ideal. So much more grip and dynamic headroom with my Opera Audio Consonance (two EL84's and one 12AU7). Although touted as "easier to drive", these need extra juice to sound their best.post #8 of 275/3/12 at 7:28pmQuote:
NFB-12 is very good. Nice solid state amp and a very good dac IMO. Underpriced and underrated.post #9 of 275/3/12 at 7:44pmQuote:
It's an excellent value for the money. Decent DAC. Great amplifier. Overall a good package. One of the best power/performance options per dollar you could get.
Very best,post #10 of 275/3/12 at 9:53pmThread StarterThanks for all the input guys! Right now as a DAC/Amp I'm using the Yulong D100 to drive some Beyerdynamic DT770s. Would it be worth it to buy a Lyr and use that as an amp instead of the D100's proprietary amp with the HE-500 or 5LE?
Edited by Peculier - 5/3/12 at 9:56pmpost #11 of 275/3/12 at 10:46pmQuote:Quote:
Ok now NFB-12, or HDP?
I swear nothing beats the HDP, although both of you dudes are probably more experience than I am at this point since I don't post as much anymore so I'm not as in-tune with the market as I used to be.post #12 of 275/4/12 at 4:23ampost #13 of 275/4/12 at 5:24amQuote:
The HDP is excellent as a DAC, but I wouldn't use it as an amp primarily for something like the HE-500 or any ortho that really needs 1 watt or more to become fully dynamic.
Very best,post #14 of 275/6/12 at 4:50pm
- Solid State or Tube Amp for HE-500?
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...
- › JHAudio JH13 Pro 40 seconds ago
- › Recommendations for computer speakers and possibly a dac. Any... 2 minutes ago
- › JH16Pro customs vs Roxanne universals 2 minutes ago
- › HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X... 2 minutes ago
- › = Hifiman HE500 & HE400 Jergpad Mod v2.5 = (Modulor orders updated... 2 minutes ago
- › (Edit: help me choose) Over-ear, inexpensive headphone recs for... 3 minutes ago
- › Ranking of 17 DACs and DAC Configurations 3 minutes ago
- › Dr Dre beats studio's, Thank you for bringing me to head-fi 4 minutes ago
- › Schiit Owners Unite 4 minutes ago
- › NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!! 5 minutes ago
- › FitEar Private C435 Custom In-Ear Monitors by TheLastDevil
- › VSONIC VSD1S by IEMagnet01
- › Bowers & Wilkins P7 by eightbitpotion
- › NuForce Icon uDAC-2 (Black) USB DAC (24bit/96kHz) and Headphone... by jshaffe
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by jshaffe
- › Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro 250 OHM Semi-open reference headphone by jshaffe
- › MartinLogan Mikros 90 Reference On-Ear Headphones, Black by pataburd
- › Logitech UE 6000 by Trunks159
- › MEElectronics SP51-BK Sound Preference In-Ear Headphone with Sound... by Benik3
- › Beats Studio Over-Ear Headphone (Black) - NEW by JGrignon
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop &... by warrenpchi