I'm looking to get the HE-500 or HE-5LE, but I've heard that their highs can be tiring very quickly, and I heard that Tube amps like the Schiit Lyr are good paired with it. Can anyone give any experience?
- productHiFiMAN HE-500tagged by System, 3/1/13
Related Forum Threads
- ~$1000 budget for Cans for on the go Last post on 3/5/14 at 12:10pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- AMP Suggestions for HE-500 Last post on 2/17/14 at 11:28pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Toxic Cables Existing customer prize draw. HE-500 - EF-5 - Stand - Cable Last post on 3/3/14 at 1:09pm in Sponsor Announcements and Deals
- Hifiman HE-500 " Subwoofer " ear pad mods Last post on 2/9/14 at 9:31am in Headphones (full-size)
- New cans soon: GS1000, HE500, or LCD2 Last post on 1/31/14 at 8:38am in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/20/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)Last edited: 12/10/13
My current set. My favorite and my private oasis. These beauties will cut out most if not all ambient noise like while driving in a car and household noise when the music is flowing. I became a fan...
I was asked to listen to the Musical Fidelity MF100 and received them about 4 weeks ago. I get quite a lot of headphones through my door, I only review the ones I like and I like these a lot. I...
Got the SE846 last week and did some hours of comparison with my current SE535. My bias was towards keeping them - I like flagship products as a "there is nothing better" products, i.e. do not...
So I finally broke my go to earbuds, and went searching for a replacement. I was actually so disappointed with these things that I made it a point to get out and put out a review. Bass continuously...
I was looking for closed headphones with a pricetag up to €200 that could be used without an amp. After some research and listening sessions I bought the M50x. There's really not a lot to say about...
Solid State or Tube Amp for HE-500?post #1 of 275/3/12 at 3:05pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 275/3/12 at 3:09pmpost #3 of 275/3/12 at 4:28pmpost #4 of 275/3/12 at 4:46pmQuote:
I had this setup. It was incredible!! Jinks Chrispost #5 of 275/3/12 at 4:57pmQuote:
The HE-500 is very natural sounding, it's not overly bright or fatiguing at all.
It is great off solid state or tube. By the way, the Lyr really isn't all that tubey, it's a hybrid, so you're listening to solid state and tube.
Just get something reliable that generates more than 1 watt and go with it. You can do it for $200 or up to whatever you want to spend to achieve that (some 1 watters are the NFB-12.1 (more like 3 watts) and the Asgard (1.3ish watts).
I use both the Asgard & Lyr with my HE500. The Asgard is a touch brighter. The Lyr has more low end warmth.
Very best,post #6 of 275/3/12 at 7:10pmpost #7 of 275/3/12 at 7:17pm
I found that my Concerto ran out of gas with the HE-500's. Certainly good to a point, but not optimum. Channel Islands VHP-1/VAC-1 has more grunt, but still not ideal. So much more grip and dynamic headroom with my Opera Audio Consonance (two EL84's and one 12AU7). Although touted as "easier to drive", these need extra juice to sound their best.post #8 of 275/3/12 at 7:28pmQuote:
NFB-12 is very good. Nice solid state amp and a very good dac IMO. Underpriced and underrated.post #9 of 275/3/12 at 7:44pmQuote:
It's an excellent value for the money. Decent DAC. Great amplifier. Overall a good package. One of the best power/performance options per dollar you could get.
Very best,post #10 of 275/3/12 at 9:53pmThread StarterThanks for all the input guys! Right now as a DAC/Amp I'm using the Yulong D100 to drive some Beyerdynamic DT770s. Would it be worth it to buy a Lyr and use that as an amp instead of the D100's proprietary amp with the HE-500 or 5LE?
Edited by Peculier - 5/3/12 at 9:56pmpost #11 of 275/3/12 at 10:46pmQuote:Quote:
Ok now NFB-12, or HDP?
I swear nothing beats the HDP, although both of you dudes are probably more experience than I am at this point since I don't post as much anymore so I'm not as in-tune with the market as I used to be.post #12 of 275/4/12 at 4:23ampost #13 of 275/4/12 at 5:24amQuote:
The HDP is excellent as a DAC, but I wouldn't use it as an amp primarily for something like the HE-500 or any ortho that really needs 1 watt or more to become fully dynamic.
Very best,post #14 of 275/6/12 at 4:50pm
- Solid State or Tube Amp for HE-500?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- HiFiMAN HE-500No reviews yet.
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...
- › Fresh outta CES: The Hifiman HE-400i and HE-560 6 seconds ago
- › Official 2014 SoCal Head-Fi Meet, March 22, 2014, Westin South... 32 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser Momentum vs. PSB M4U1 56 seconds ago
- › The Astell & Kern AK240 1 minute ago
- › The Christiansen "DG" 300B Amplifier Build Thread 1 minute ago
- › Hissy/staticky "s" and cymbals? 2 minutes ago
- › FiiO X1, the most portable and affordable high resolution DAP from... 3 minutes ago
- › Do I need a DAC? 4 minutes ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up (Update: June 28th, 2013) 4 minutes ago
- › FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought 4 minutes ago
- › Ultimate Ears 500 by echo1284
- › Musical Fidelity MF-100 High Quality On-Ear Headphones by astroid
- › Shure SE846 Sound Isolating™ Earphone by agistrilink
- › NCredible NErgy In-Ear Headphones by Monster® by tevbax
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by De_klusjesman
- › Klipsch S3M-Blue-HP In-Ear Headphone, Blue by DaddyMojo
- › Unique Melody Mentor acrylic universal/custom by svyr
- › Fischer Audio TBA-04 IEM by exsomnis
- › Edifier H850 by ClieOS
- › Edifier USA Spinnaker Media Speaker System (Black) by project86
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude