I'm looking to get the HE-500 or HE-5LE, but I've heard that their highs can be tiring very quickly, and I heard that Tube amps like the Schiit Lyr are good paired with it. Can anyone give any experience?
- itemHiFiMAN HE 500
Related Forum Threads
- HiFiMan HE500's Last post on 5/20/13 at 1:33am in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- The tip of my 1/4" jack on my HE-500's just broke off inside my DAC! Last post on 5/21/13 at 10:46am in Headphones (full-size)
- Where can i buy the he500? Last post on 5/17/13 at 10:02am in Headphones (full-size)
- The IEM equivalent of an HE-400/HE-500 with regards to imaging? Last post on 5/20/13 at 1:28am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Most affordable way to extend the HE-500 cables? Last post on 5/15/13 at 2:54am in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
Solid State or Tube Amp for HE-500?
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
I had this setup. It was incredible!! Jinks Chris
The HE-500 is very natural sounding, it's not overly bright or fatiguing at all.
It is great off solid state or tube. By the way, the Lyr really isn't all that tubey, it's a hybrid, so you're listening to solid state and tube.
Just get something reliable that generates more than 1 watt and go with it. You can do it for $200 or up to whatever you want to spend to achieve that (some 1 watters are the NFB-12.1 (more like 3 watts) and the Asgard (1.3ish watts).
I use both the Asgard & Lyr with my HE500. The Asgard is a touch brighter. The Lyr has more low end warmth.
I found that my Concerto ran out of gas with the HE-500's. Certainly good to a point, but not optimum. Channel Islands VHP-1/VAC-1 has more grunt, but still not ideal. So much more grip and dynamic headroom with my Opera Audio Consonance (two EL84's and one 12AU7). Although touted as "easier to drive", these need extra juice to sound their best.
NFB-12 is very good. Nice solid state amp and a very good dac IMO. Underpriced and underrated.
It's an excellent value for the money. Decent DAC. Great amplifier. Overall a good package. One of the best power/performance options per dollar you could get.
Edited by Peculier - 5/3/12 at 9:56pm
Ok now NFB-12, or HDP?
I swear nothing beats the HDP, although both of you dudes are probably more experience than I am at this point since I don't post as much anymore so I'm not as in-tune with the market as I used to be.
The HDP is excellent as a DAC, but I wouldn't use it as an amp primarily for something like the HE-500 or any ortho that really needs 1 watt or more to become fully dynamic.
- Solid State or Tube Amp for HE-500?
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Earsonics SM64: The Impressions and Appreciation Thread 40 seconds ago
- › The New iRiver AK100: A High-End DAP 1 minute ago
- › "Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review 2 minutes ago
- › Stax SR-Sigma Pro completly original!!! 4 minutes ago
- › Heir Audio 5.0 Impressions/Comparison/Review Thread 4 minutes ago
- › The Astell & Kern AK120 7 minutes ago
- › New headphone amplifier from Bryston 7 minutes ago
- › Dae Han Min Guk (South Korea) Lounge & Retailers [LISTING] 7 minutes ago
- › I gave up on the Fiio E7. Any suggestions? 8 minutes ago
- › IC: Melbourne Meet Probably 2/6/13 10 minutes ago
- › Schiit Valhalla by Rem0o
- › Sony MDR-XB500 40mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphones by derbigpr
- › Colorfly Pocket Hi-fi C4 by yxmees
- › audio-technica Premium Compact Inner Ear Headphones ATH-CKN70 Black... by a_recording
- › AUDIO TECHNICA ATH PRO700 mk2 by TheGame21x
- › Monoprice 8320 IEM by Taharqa
- › Fanmusic MS-E1011 by ItsMeHere
- › Audio-gd NFB-5 by citadel
- › HE-5LE by JamesHuntington
- › Kozee Sound Solutions Infinity X2 by Insight Reviews
- › Syncing music and making playlists work with... by Currawong
- › Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes by miceblue
- › STAX SR-007 (Omega II) ... A Review After 4... by Currawong
- › List of lossless and high-res music (FLAC,... by ffivaz
- › Beware of the following scams and people... by Currawong
- › Sennheiser 449 Mod Possibly 4 8 Mod by hernan604
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Computer Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable... by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Desktop Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Headphone... by joe