I'm looking to get the HE-500 or HE-5LE, but I've heard that their highs can be tiring very quickly, and I heard that Tube amps like the Schiit Lyr are good paired with it. Can anyone give any experience?
- productHiFiMAN HE-500tagged by System, 3/1/13
Related Forum Threads
- FS: HE500 HE-500 Hifiman headphones Last post on Yesterday at 3:41 pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- How much of an upgrade would a Stax SR-007a Mk2 be over an HE-500 Last post on 4/21/14 at 9:07am in Headphones (full-size)
- He-500 with Pioneer vsx-822 receiver? Last post on 4/13/14 at 2:53pm in Headphones (full-size)
- HifiMAN HE-500 Closed mod (alternative re-grills mod) Last post on Yesterday at 12:08 pm in Headphones (full-size)
- I think my used Denon D2000s are actually modded! Last post on 3/24/14 at 5:21am in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/20/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)Last edited: 12/10/13
The review will comming soon
I used these for about three months at my desk at work. The left side went out in that short time. They were great while they lasted.
Hi When i brought these i hoped that they would sound amazing. But when i tried these i noticed that there was no bass at all. I'm a bass head. Now i brought the ferrari by logic3 T150. They...
Been looking for some new closed headphones, with only three at the moment and for some time in fact. Good ones, though: Sony MDR Z1000, Sony MDR 7520, and Senn Amperiors, Sometimes you just...
There are many great headphones in this SUB-$150 category , I have a good amount of headphones in the range and have tried a good enough of them to know what to expect in this category The...
Solid State or Tube Amp for HE-500?post #1 of 275/3/12 at 3:05pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 275/3/12 at 3:09pmpost #3 of 275/3/12 at 4:28pmpost #4 of 275/3/12 at 4:46pmQuote:
I had this setup. It was incredible!! Jinks Chrispost #5 of 275/3/12 at 4:57pmQuote:
The HE-500 is very natural sounding, it's not overly bright or fatiguing at all.
It is great off solid state or tube. By the way, the Lyr really isn't all that tubey, it's a hybrid, so you're listening to solid state and tube.
Just get something reliable that generates more than 1 watt and go with it. You can do it for $200 or up to whatever you want to spend to achieve that (some 1 watters are the NFB-12.1 (more like 3 watts) and the Asgard (1.3ish watts).
I use both the Asgard & Lyr with my HE500. The Asgard is a touch brighter. The Lyr has more low end warmth.
Very best,post #6 of 275/3/12 at 7:10pmpost #7 of 275/3/12 at 7:17pm
I found that my Concerto ran out of gas with the HE-500's. Certainly good to a point, but not optimum. Channel Islands VHP-1/VAC-1 has more grunt, but still not ideal. So much more grip and dynamic headroom with my Opera Audio Consonance (two EL84's and one 12AU7). Although touted as "easier to drive", these need extra juice to sound their best.post #8 of 275/3/12 at 7:28pmQuote:
NFB-12 is very good. Nice solid state amp and a very good dac IMO. Underpriced and underrated.post #9 of 275/3/12 at 7:44pmQuote:
It's an excellent value for the money. Decent DAC. Great amplifier. Overall a good package. One of the best power/performance options per dollar you could get.
Very best,post #10 of 275/3/12 at 9:53pmThread StarterThanks for all the input guys! Right now as a DAC/Amp I'm using the Yulong D100 to drive some Beyerdynamic DT770s. Would it be worth it to buy a Lyr and use that as an amp instead of the D100's proprietary amp with the HE-500 or 5LE?
Edited by Peculier - 5/3/12 at 9:56pmpost #11 of 275/3/12 at 10:46pmQuote:Quote:
Ok now NFB-12, or HDP?
I swear nothing beats the HDP, although both of you dudes are probably more experience than I am at this point since I don't post as much anymore so I'm not as in-tune with the market as I used to be.post #12 of 275/4/12 at 4:23ampost #13 of 275/4/12 at 5:24amQuote:
The HDP is excellent as a DAC, but I wouldn't use it as an amp primarily for something like the HE-500 or any ortho that really needs 1 watt or more to become fully dynamic.
Very best,post #14 of 275/6/12 at 4:50pm
- Solid State or Tube Amp for HE-500?
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 6 seconds ago
- › D marc0's Journal: My Head-fi Journey (NEW: Sony XBA H3 Review and... 37 seconds ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 1 minute ago
- › Story of a New Reviewer: kimvictor 2 minutes ago
- › ULTRASONE NEW ANNOUNCED HEADPHONE Signature Pro 2 minutes ago
- › Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for... 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Appreciation Thread!! 3 minutes ago
- › Head-Direct / HIFIMAN Customer Service TEAM 3 minutes ago
- › JH Audio Sirens Series Roxanne Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Toxic Cables - The Appreciation Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Halide Design DAC HD by Zuqi
- › Sony MDR-ZX-700 by PurelyNicole
- › Klipsch Image S3 Nosie-Isolating Earphones with Patented Oval Ear-Tips by Arno Berck
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by zazex
- › Ultrasone HFI-450 by MrTechAgent
- › V-MODA Crossfade M-100 by zach8278
- › Ultimate Ears UE4000 Headphones by gopats1479
- › NoiseHush NX85 Stereo 3.5mm Headset with Mic - Retail Packaging -... by Mathewsa
- › LHLabs Geek Out by bhazard
- › Monster Inspiration by betterthan1122
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude