I'm looking to get the HE-500 or HE-5LE, but I've heard that their highs can be tiring very quickly, and I heard that Tube amps like the Schiit Lyr are good paired with it. Can anyone give any experience?
- productHiFiMAN HE-500tagged by System, 3/1/13
Related Forum Threads
- Question: LCD 2.2<<HE 500<< LCD 3? Last post on Yesterday at 12:48 pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Ranking of 17 DACs and DAC Configurations Last post on Today at 11:07 pm in Dedicated Source Components
- HE-500 what amp(maybe dac) for $250-350 ? Last post on Yesterday at 4:08 am in Headphones (full-size)
- Yet another HD800 thread... Last post on Yesterday at 12:41 pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- WTB Hifiman HE-500 with delivery to UK Last post on 12/3/13 at 1:57pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/5/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)Last edited: Yesterday
These hurt my head almost right away. The good sound quality is not noticeable when my ears and head hurts. Having said that, the price is low and if you don't like them then just return them.
This will be a short review based on maybe on 12-15 hours of use. If you think that's not long enough you can skip it. I was a bit worried that this would be some cheap gimmicky toy amp because...
The short and simple of it is this is the best DAP for the price I have owned. I have used all the main stream players, (IPods, Zune, Creative Zen Player, etc) and I will never go back. Besides the...
I really like this headphone. I've been trying various headphones in this pricerange, and decided on this one. But maybe the Price is a bit too high, when comparing to the first Creative...
NOTE: THIS MAY ALSO BE REFERRED TO AS THE KICKER PHENOM. THE PART NUMBER SHOWN FOR THE KICKER PHENOM PHONES I HAVE IS EB92S As I contemplated giving these a go, I became aware that there was...
Solid State or Tube Amp for HE-500?post #1 of 275/3/12 at 3:05pmThread Starter
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #2 of 275/3/12 at 3:09pmpost #3 of 275/3/12 at 4:28pmpost #4 of 275/3/12 at 4:46pmQuote:
I had this setup. It was incredible!! Jinks Chrispost #5 of 275/3/12 at 4:57pmQuote:
The HE-500 is very natural sounding, it's not overly bright or fatiguing at all.
It is great off solid state or tube. By the way, the Lyr really isn't all that tubey, it's a hybrid, so you're listening to solid state and tube.
Just get something reliable that generates more than 1 watt and go with it. You can do it for $200 or up to whatever you want to spend to achieve that (some 1 watters are the NFB-12.1 (more like 3 watts) and the Asgard (1.3ish watts).
I use both the Asgard & Lyr with my HE500. The Asgard is a touch brighter. The Lyr has more low end warmth.
Very best,post #6 of 275/3/12 at 7:10pmpost #7 of 275/3/12 at 7:17pm
I found that my Concerto ran out of gas with the HE-500's. Certainly good to a point, but not optimum. Channel Islands VHP-1/VAC-1 has more grunt, but still not ideal. So much more grip and dynamic headroom with my Opera Audio Consonance (two EL84's and one 12AU7). Although touted as "easier to drive", these need extra juice to sound their best.post #8 of 275/3/12 at 7:28pmQuote:
NFB-12 is very good. Nice solid state amp and a very good dac IMO. Underpriced and underrated.post #9 of 275/3/12 at 7:44pmQuote:
It's an excellent value for the money. Decent DAC. Great amplifier. Overall a good package. One of the best power/performance options per dollar you could get.
Very best,post #10 of 275/3/12 at 9:53pmThread StarterThanks for all the input guys! Right now as a DAC/Amp I'm using the Yulong D100 to drive some Beyerdynamic DT770s. Would it be worth it to buy a Lyr and use that as an amp instead of the D100's proprietary amp with the HE-500 or 5LE?
Edited by Peculier - 5/3/12 at 9:56pmpost #11 of 275/3/12 at 10:46pmQuote:Quote:
Ok now NFB-12, or HDP?
I swear nothing beats the HDP, although both of you dudes are probably more experience than I am at this point since I don't post as much anymore so I'm not as in-tune with the market as I used to be.post #12 of 275/4/12 at 4:23ampost #13 of 275/4/12 at 5:24amQuote:
The HDP is excellent as a DAC, but I wouldn't use it as an amp primarily for something like the HE-500 or any ortho that really needs 1 watt or more to become fully dynamic.
Very best,post #14 of 275/6/12 at 4:50pm
- Solid State or Tube Amp for HE-500?
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...
- › Creative Aurvana Live! 2 20 seconds ago
- › Band Name Game II 33 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Appreciation Thread 41 seconds ago
- › Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model 2 minutes ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 2 minutes ago
- › The Stax Thread III 2 minutes ago
- › Tiny DAC, Big Sound, Evolved – Impression of Stoner Acoustics UD100... 3 minutes ago
- › Review: Resonessence Labs Invicta - new high end DAC/amp/playback... 3 minutes ago
- › THE HYPE.............................. Appreciation Thread. 7 minutes ago
- › Asian music (Chinese, Japanese, Korean) 7 minutes ago
- › Heir Audio Tzar 350 by alpha421
- › Panasonic RP-HC720-K Over Ear Headphones Noise Canceling 95% by oostrov
- › iFi iCAN headphone amplifier by tdockweiler
- › COWON J3 32 GB Portable Media Player (Black) by lexangl
- › Creative Aurvana Live! 2 Headset with 40mm Drivers and In-Line Mic... by TThorsen
- › EB92 In-Ear MicroFit Monitors by MadMusicJunkie
- › Sennheiser HD-518 by xoriac
- › Roland RH-200 Monitor Headphones by IEMagnet01
- › Perfect Sound d901b by gelocks
- › Sony MDR-7520 Professional Headphones by groovyd
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe