New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

(REVIEW): Etymotic HF5 - Page 4

post #46 of 67

Thanks Necro - may have to give that a shot. Other than Shure Olives, I can't find anything that is ideal. The Olives are not perfect either but workable

post #47 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosshorn View Post

I'm actually waiting on mine to come in the mail. I'll leave impressions when I can :)

My impedance adapter just arrived today. Sorrily the build quality isn't that good, it has a tendency to short when i twist my hf5 jack, but for 11$ it's nice.

 

Anyways the sound is good, no noice and stuff.

Going to the effect of the adapter for the hf5, i can sya it is DEFINETELY worth it. IMO the fiio e17 (which i have) doesn't pair that good with the hf5. The bass becomes a bit too boomy and starts bleed a bit into the mid range (but i can tell, the e17 does add a nice low/subbass boost, which the hf5 really needs). Maybe it is becuase of too high gain for such low impedance 'phones.

 

This problem the impedance adapter fix, which makes it worth the money itself. The bass is now tighter than ever, and the clarity is also better than ever. The mid range is IMO pretty much unchanged, but with the bass 100% tamed, it seems more detailed (hard to say, if theres actually more detail in the mids). 

 

Going to the highs, i can say that i am amazed. My ety's suddenly attained the missing crispness, and they now seem more defined and a bit less fluid. The extension of the heights could still be a bit better, but that is nitpicking, seriously. 

 

 

Summary: Overall the ety's have improved, and they have suddenly attained some more of the characteristics of more expensive headphones. Especially better clarity and they seem more defined in the treble. The bass has improved too. Sound quality wise they level my AKG k702, even though i miss the airyness and the soundstage of the AKG's.

 

Lastly, if you have the hf5 and a fiio e17, e10 or similar, you have to get an impedance adapter. I can recommend a slight bass boost (for me 2dB). The improvements is definetely very significant, and i cant believe this isn't common knowledge for ety hf5 owners, might make a  thread onn it.

post #48 of 67

Just to translate a few thoughts to zeros and ones:

 

-I received my HF5 replacement yesterday.  My original was indeed defective... no rattling/fluttering in the sub-bass this time around. (again, the original was purchased through Amazon's Warehouse Deals)

 

-The tri-flange tips certainly aren't ideal, but they're not as obtrusive as I had originally thought.  There's a sense of pressure that's ever-present, but I'm not getting that clinging feeling that I had originally experienced.  It also seems to take a minute or so for them to settle into my ear canals. (the tips seem almost blocked when I first insert them)  For now, I'm holding off on investing in customs and seeing how my comfort impressions evolve.

 

-...why would anyone want more bass presence than this?  It's well defined and distinctly placed, but with bass-heavy content it reaches just far enough as to not cross over into discomfort/obnoxious (for me) territory.  I'm fully convinced that anyone who believes these are bass deficient is simply not achieving a proper seal.

post #49 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly21029 View Post

Just to translate a few thoughts to zeros and ones:

 

-I received my HF5 replacement yesterday.  My original was indeed defective... no rattling/fluttering in the sub-bass this time around. (again, the original was purchased through Amazon's Warehouse Deals)

 

-The tri-flange tips certainly aren't ideal, but they're not as obtrusive as I had originally thought.  There's a sense of pressure that's ever-present, but I'm not getting that clinging feeling that I had originally experienced.  It also seems to take a minute or so for them to settle into my ear canals. (the tips seem almost blocked when I first insert them)  For now, I'm holding off on investing in customs and seeing how my comfort impressions evolve.

 

-...why would anyone want more bass presence than this?  It's well defined and distinctly placed, but with bass-heavy content it reaches just far enough as to not cross over into discomfort/obnoxious (for me) territory.  I'm fully convinced that anyone who believes these are bass deficient is simply not achieving a proper seal.


Definitely agree. It is ALL about seal and proper fit. What some might want is a better extension in the lower end. The low and subbass aren't so much there.

 

The way i achieve proper seal is usually to put them into my ear, let them go as far as possible, and then adjusting the pressure by sliding them out a bit, whilst they are sealing.

 

IMO the bass can be too much and seem a bit uncontrolled (really nitpicking, this is also with amp), and adding impedance via an impedance adapter makes the bass just perfect (amp required).

post #50 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsh View Post


Definitely agree. It is ALL about seal and proper fit. What some might want is a better extension in the lower end. The low and subbass aren't so much there.

 

The way i achieve proper seal is usually to put them into my ear, let them go as far as possible, and then adjusting the pressure by sliding them out a bit, whilst they are sealing.

 

IMO the bass can be too much and seem a bit uncontrolled (really nitpicking, this is also with amp), and adding impedance via an impedance adapter makes the bass just perfect (amp required).

 

I haven't seen many pairing the HF5 with the adapter, but being a relatively small investment I may try it.  Thanks!

post #51 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly21029 View Post

 

I haven't seen many pairing the HF5 with the adapter, but being a relatively small investment I may try it.  Thanks!

After a bit more extensive use of the setup i think the mids aren't as good as they can be. The upper mids seem a bit too present. This makes the sound seem a little unblalanced, but it is definitely worth it anyways.

post #52 of 67
I'm still weighing whether to get custom tips for my hf3, I got such a great deal on them tho ($55 - new) that it almost seems silly to ruin the value proposition with tips that may not improve much for me. tongue.gif I gotta play around with some of the other tips, been mostly using tri flanges since I was already accustomed to them.
post #53 of 67

It would be nice if they were more durable... The wire cracked some week ago.

The idea about kevlar reinforced cables is good, just not when it cracks along the wire. I can tell you, that the kevlar is definitely there as long threads inside the wire...

 

Well, i wont return them until they fail me (like 1.5 years left of warranty)

post #54 of 67

Just bought the hf2 after reading all the praise on headfi. 80€ at amazon.es. Looking forward to find out what all the fuss’s about, as I never tried earbuds with amateur drivers. I like the look of the triple fangs, hope they’ll be a got fit. Cheers

post #55 of 67
I cannot recommend the hf5s at all. Sound is decent and what you'd expect at this price, but they fall apart easily. My first pair - the inline controls stopped working 6 months in and etymotic took 6 MONTHS (!!!!) to get me a replacement under warranty. The replacement call answer function doesn't work on the iPhone but given the time I had to wait for a replacement I won't even try returning these. Stay away I say.
post #56 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by sach160 View Post

I cannot recommend the hf5s at all. Sound is decent and what you'd expect at this price, but they fall apart easily. My first pair - the inline controls stopped working 6 months in and etymotic took 6 MONTHS (!!!!) to get me a replacement under warranty. The replacement call answer function doesn't work on the iPhone but given the time I had to wait for a replacement I won't even try returning these. Stay away I say.

the hf5s doesn't have any controllers, guess you're referring to the hf2s. however, I was also unlucky with my first pair of hf5s. my model was faulty I guess, one of the drivers broke and started to crackle over a certain volume level, also the housing broke easily under one of the tips... but etymotic replaced it in less then 3 weeks, and I live in Hungary! so the service was first class.

their sound isn't just decent "for the price". it's an overall decent sound with perfect balance (for me), actually it's the best sound I expect from an IEM, and I rather listened to some occasional crackling besides the music for months(!), then sending it back asap.

post #57 of 67

I agree the balance on these is one of the best I've heard  .  

 

I'm looking at adding an attenulator. Is an impedence adapter the same thing?


Edited by Gozzer - 1/9/13 at 1:07am
post #58 of 67
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gozzer View Post

I agree these are one the better IEM,s for the price.  Looking at adding the attenulator. Is an impedence adapter the same thing?

yes they are the same thing!

post #59 of 67

i never really liked the HF5, yes they are detailed and analytical but they dont sound natural in decay and timbre, they lack body and extension.

 

fischer audio DBA-02 MKII had the clarity but with better extension and body.

 

for a similar price as the HF5 i recommend the DUNU I-3CS mid centric with good extension on both ends but with a more natural timbre and presentation

post #60 of 67
Thread Starter 

I swear i remember you using these with comply tips or some foams anyway, this may be the case. They have some of the most honest vocal reproduction of all IEMs i have heard, the vocal height is so impressive and true. It lacks other things but you will struggle to find another universal that does vocals better than this.

 

Also the DBA-02 MK 2 which i have heard briefly has more obvious clarity with its more boosted treble but it no way sounds as balanced or true, it does of course trump in extension.

 

The HF5 is now without problems but for what it is made to do, it does almost faultlessly because it is so darn accurate. I also think that the I-3CS is in the same league at all.....

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav: