Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Well I just got here so I thought I might introduce myself.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Well I just got here so I thought I might introduce myself.

post #1 of 34
Thread Starter 

Hey everyone. I'm Shortiefish! If you've been to any of the meets/get-togethers in Seattle (most recently the one at the Boeing field hangar, but also the one before that that was at the faceplate-making-factory-place), you might know me as "little palmfish" or tessa or even just Palmfish's daughter. My dad (Palmfish) managed to get me into the whole audiophile business, and for my birthday he got me an absolutely beautiful pair of AH-D2000 Denon headphones. I also have my own little headphone amplifier (got it at the auction held at the faceplate-making-factory-place meet), and as cool as it is, I'm not sure what type it is, haha.

Anyway, since I got my Denons, I was debating over whether or not to join this forum- seeing as I don't have much knowledge of audio/headphones/etc. as of yet- but I would really like to learn more. I hope that all of you around here can help me out with that bit.

Ahm, not sure what else to put here... I like pretty much any music you could possibly send to me, other than country and rap (the Beastie Boys are my only rap-ish exception). I like lots of classic bands like Queen, Alan Parsons, AC/DC, Beatles, etc. as well as the majority of classical music (Bach!) and a bit of popular-modern-type stuff. I also like music in pretty much every language; I don't have to understand it to enjoy it. I play the double bass in my school orchestra, so by default I tend to like bass quite a bit and can really hear it separate from the rest of a song if I want to.

Uh... I guess that's about all I feel like typing up at the moment. Feel free to ask me questions if you want, though. Like I said, my headphones are AH-D2000 Denons... uh... help me learn about headphones, amps, and other topics as such if you can! Thank you. c':

post #2 of 34

Always nice to see other females one the forum. Welcome to head-fi! This place is a great source of information, so if you stick around you'll end up learning a lot in a relatively short amount of time. Unfortunately you may end up spending a lot too. Hence the customary head-fi welcome: sorry for your wallet!

 

Also for some reason I greatly enjoy dressing up statues and busts of historical figures, so I really dig the avatar.

post #3 of 34

Women on the internet? Now I've seen it all.

 

Welcome to Head-Fi.

post #4 of 34

Also a potential head-fi first - a second generation head-fier.  Nice to see the young'uns into Bach instead of Hansen and other newfangled "boy groups."  

post #5 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staal View Post

Women on the internet? Now I've seen it all.

 

Welcome to Head-Fi.


+best statement of the day

post #6 of 34

"Welcome to Head-Fi! Sorry about your wallet"

 

My only advice to you is to watch out. Head-Fi is large so it has a lot of noise in the posts. Be able to differentiate from good posts from actual experience with different headphones for what you want and also random stuff. There is a lot of Head-Fi bias on this site...mainly on superiority from normal people stuff or having super hearing or what not, be able to tell those apart too. Anyway, have fun and enjoy your time on Head-Fi which is 99.9% male(napkin numbers and I'm joking)

post #7 of 34
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio_head View Post

Also a potential head-fi first - a second generation head-fier.  Nice to see the young'uns into Bach instead of Hansen and other newfangled "boy groups."  

The people at school sicken me with their horrid tastes.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuppetFace View Post

Always nice to see other females one the forum. Welcome to head-fi! This place is a great source of information, so if you stick around you'll end up learning a lot in a relatively short amount of time. Unfortunately you may end up spending a lot too. Hence the customary head-fi welcome: sorry for your wallet!

 

Also for some reason I greatly enjoy dressing up statues and busts of historical figures, so I really dig the avatar.


On the money topic, I can happily (and probably a little selfishly) say that since I'm only a highschooler, my dad is the one who buys the equipment in this house. And he lets me use them, so I get all the benefits of buying things- without actually buying them!

 

And yes, Bach is a bust we've had since forever. He's currently sporting a french beret. During the holidays I put him in a Santa hat, and on Halloween he has a pumpkin on his head. He is my dearest friend!

 

Thank you everyone for welcoming me! I'm glad that you're so open to new members here, it's really nice.

post #8 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortieFish View Post

The people at school sicken me with their horrid tastes.

 


On the money topic, I can happily (and probably a little selfishly) say that since I'm only a highschooler, my dad is the one who buys the equipment in this house. And he lets me use them, so I get all the benefits of buying things- without actually buying them!

 

And yes, Bach is a bust we've had since forever. He's currently sporting a french beret. During the holidays I put him in a Santa hat, and on Halloween he has a pumpkin on his head. He is my dearest friend!

 

Thank you everyone for welcoming me! I'm glad that you're so open to new members here, it's really nice.

I had a similar experience when my father got into home theatre and brought home speakers and receivers and all that.

post #9 of 34
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post

I had a similar experience when my father got into home theatre and brought home speakers and receivers and all that.

My dad had the home-theater stage, too. We have a huge TV, big ol' Sennheiser tower speakers, surround sound, a big couch, etc. in the basement from then.

 

Not that I'm not enjoying the headphones. I was never too interested in the home theater, but when he got into the beauty that is expensive headphones, I got sucked in with him right away. It's great.

post #10 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortieFish View Post

My dad had the home-theater stage, too. We have a huge TV, big ol' Sennheiser tower speakers, surround sound, a big couch, etc. in the basement from then.

 

Not that I'm not enjoying the headphones. I was never too interested in the home theater, but when he got into the beauty that is expensive headphones, I got sucked in with him right away. It's great.

I now require a list of his headphones you get the pleasure of.

post #11 of 34
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post

I now require a list of his headphones you get the pleasure of.


Oh, jeez... well, I don't know all the names of them. He's got some photos of what he's had in the past in his gallery, I'll send links of the ones I remember. These are in no particular order, and he's sent all of them back other than his current Denons.

 

http://www.head-fi.org/gallery/image/view/album/282653/id/182214/sort/display_order

I liked these Sennheisers a lot. My dad thought they were a bit dark and muffle-y, but he tends to like brighter-sounding headphones anyway. I like darker headphones, for whatever reason. He had another pair of Sennheisers that he sent back before these ones, but I can't find a photo- they were tan-ish in color and I didn't like the way they sounded as much as these grey ones, but they were a lot more comfortable.

 

http://www.head-fi.org/gallery/image/view/album/282653/id/532292/sort/display_order

These are some that he found at a garage sale for around seven bucks or something, bought, and fixed up. They're complete crap and they look really stupid on, but they were a fun project. Not sure what he did with them or where they are now, haha.

 

He had a pair of Hifiman HE-400s for a couple of weeks, and they were pretty cool. Pretty uncomfortable, but still cool. I don't remember exactly what they sounded like- I think I like the Denons better, though.

 

http://www.head-fi.org/gallery/image/view/album/282653/id/511943/sort/display_order and http://www.head-fi.org/gallery/image/view/album/282653/id/508364/sort/display_order

These are what he has now. I love them, and so does he, so we'll probably have them for a long time yet. He has them stationed on Beethoven, our other beloved bust (I don't like him as much as Bach because Beethoven [the bust] is newer. I don't dress him up at all. But Daddy likes to use him as a headphone holder-rest-thing, and it's pretty funny.) They're bright, but not too bright- so far, they're my favorites of the ones that he's owned. And besides that, they're very pretty. He compared them to my Denons, and he says they sound pretty much the same.

 

Sorry I couldn't give too many specific names, I've got a terrible memory and really need to work on my "headphone vocabulary". He's also had a few other pairs, but I don't remember them so well. You might want to visit his page or just ask him if you want to know more about it, haha.

 

Also, in on of the Denon photos, there's a couple of amps that we don't have anymore. Our setup has changed quite a bit since these photos were taken...

 

I have my own little mini-setup, too, if you could even call it that. It consists of my AH-D2000s (which I love dearly), a Front Panel Express amp (won it at an auction at a meet there, and it's actually a pretty awesome little amp!), and my puny Sansa clip (mp3 player).

 

Man, I really wish I knew more of the lingo or this would be a lot easier for me. XD;

post #12 of 34

This forum will teach you, just be wary of what I said before.

 

Thanks for the SUPER long post! I was pretty curious..and you delivered.

 

How are you guys liking the O2? Are you guys using a DAC with that?

 

Is your father a Head-Fier as well?

 

So he bought you the D2K's or you did? 

 

I'm super jelly, you will pick the stuff up..but you are already near summit fi.

 

Has your father tried HD800, LCD3's or STAX yet? Those are summit fi(top) headphones.

post #13 of 34
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post

This forum will teach you, just be wary of what I said before.

 

Thanks for the SUPER long post! I was pretty curious..and you delivered.

 

How are you guys liking the O2? Are you guys using a DAC with that?

 

Is your father a Head-Fier as well?

 

So he bought you the D2K's or you did? 

 

I'm super jelly, you will pick the stuff up..but you are already near summit fi.

 

Has your father tried HD800, LCD3's or STAX yet? Those are summit fi(top) headphones.


Whoa, you lost me! What's the O2 and the DAC? (Sorry I'm so uninformed!)

 

Yeah, my dad's Palmfish. His account is the one the photos are posted on. He bought me the D2Ks as my (late) birthday present this year, and they're pretty much the reason I joined Head-Fi. When they came in the mail, I pretty much felt obligated to join, haha.

 

We've both tried HD800s, LCD3s, LCD2s, and STAX at meets (well, the two that we've been to) before, but we don't own any. They're lovely! I just went and asked my dad about what I've listened to (as for high-end stuff), and he gave me the usernames of a couple people from the meets we've attended and also told me what their wonderful equipment was because my dad is much better at remembering things like that than I am.

 

Equus is a pretty cool guy. I really liked his LCD2s, and he had this /amazing/ amp that was really great called the Cavalli Audio Liquid Fire. That was a lovely setup.

 

KingStyles had a really nice setup, too. His amp that I really liked was an Eddie Current Balancing Act. He's the guy who had the LCD3s, as well, and those were simply heaven to listen to. If I remember correctly, I listened to probably one of the best Bohemian Rhapsody(s) I've ever heard. They were truly something to behold.

 

Mossback had the STAX 009s and an Aristaeus amp. I really liked that setup, it was awesome- though I do wish that the STAX had just a bit more bass. Of course, I play (double) bass, so that might just be that fact that I hear pretty loud it every day talking, haha. Funny story when I listened to Mossback's setup, actually. One of the fuses blew when he was switching amps or something, and he had to replace it. Nonetheless, I got to listen to it, and it was beautiful.

 

And before you say I'm catching on, I had to write most of that stuff down. XD;

post #14 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortieFish View Post


Whoa, you lost me! What's the O2 and the DAC? (Sorry I'm so uninformed!)

 

Yeah, my dad's Palmfish. His account is the one the photos are posted on. He bought me the D2Ks as my (late) birthday present this year, and they're pretty much the reason I joined Head-Fi. When they came in the mail, I pretty much felt obligated to join, haha.

 

We've both tried HD800s, LCD3s, LCD2s, and STAX at meets (well, the two that we've been to) before, but we don't own any. They're lovely! I just went and asked my dad about what I've listened to (as for high-end stuff), and he gave me the usernames of a couple people from the meets we've attended and also told me what their wonderful equipment was because my dad is much better at remembering things like that than I am.

 

Equus is a pretty cool guy. I really liked his LCD2s, and he had this /amazing/ amp that was really great called the Cavalli Audio Liquid Fire. That was a lovely setup.

 

KingStyles had a really nice setup, too. His amp that I really liked was an Eddie Current Balancing Act. He's the guy who had the LCD3s, as well, and those were simply heaven to listen to. If I remember correctly, I listened to probably one of the best Bohemian Rhapsody(s) I've ever heard. They were truly something to behold.

 

Mossback had the STAX 009s and an Aristaeus amp. I really liked that setup, it was awesome- though I do wish that the STAX had just a bit more bass. Of course, I play (double) bass, so that might just be that fact that I hear pretty loud it every day talking, haha. Funny story when I listened to Mossback's setup, actually. One of the fuses blew when he was switching amps or something, and he had to replace it. Nonetheless, I got to listen to it, and it was beautiful.

 

And before you say I'm catching on, I had to write most of that stuff down. XD;

It's ok

 

 

This is the O2

2Q==

 

 

 

 

Thanks :) Don't worry I could tell you had that written down.

 

 

I would like to go to a meet one day so I can demo it like you. But great that you guys got the signatures down on what you like (Denon)

 

The Denon AH-D2000/5000/7000 has just been discontinued, tell your father the news if you haven't already, prices will rise soon.

 

And get him to see these pictures...they might scar some people for life..but Denon is replacing the D2K,D5K,D7K...for these things

 

NO4oE.jpg

 

i9Uba.jpg

 

BU2Q7.jpg

Thanks to the "Denon D7100?!" thread

 

 

It is ok to cry and laugh. 

post #15 of 34
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post

It's ok

 

Thanks :) Don't worry I could tell you had that written down.

 

I would like to go to a meet one day so I can demo it like you. But great that you guys got the signatures down on what you like (Denon)

 

The Denon AH-D2000/5000/7000 has just been discontinued, tell your father the news if you haven't already, prices will rise soon.

 

It is ok to cry and laugh. 

Oh, that one! We don't have that amp anymore. Like I said, our setup's changed quite a bit since those photos. I didn't really listen to it much, but it sounds kind of similar to the peachtree amp. I think I remember it sounding a bit 'thinner', and I didn't like it as much as the peachtree since I tend to enjoy a warmer, fuller sound, contrary to my father who likes things to be very crisp, bright, and sharp-sounding usually.

 

I think that he probably already knows- he said that he got my D2Ks for $200 (half off of $400), so that would make sense. It's probably the reason I got them, haha.

 

And oh god, those headphones are kinda scary looking. Is that a hexagon?

 

EDIT: I thought we got rid of it, but I just went downstairs to retrieve my headphones from my father (who is testing them and comparing them to his), and there it is! It just isn't in the family room with our setup anymore, it's downstairs (it blends in with the home theater...).

We for sure don't have the peachtree anymore, though. I remember him selling it.


Edited by ShortieFish - 5/3/12 at 6:48pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Well I just got here so I thought I might introduce myself.