Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Call of Duty: Black Ops II
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Call of Duty: Black Ops II - Page 12

post #166 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchi MerenGue View Post

 

explain to me how it WASN'T the most balanced of all the modern cod's? i never said it was perfect but infinitely more fair and skill based when compared to all the other cods that came after (not counting waw, never played that, never cared to)

 

None of the Cod's was and is ever balanced, if I'd choose one cod close to being the most proportionately balanced that would be cod2 which required skill and tactical thinking to rank up kills rather than just spray and pray like in the other cods.

 

 

all the guns you mentioned weren't overpowered, they were just used alot because people liked them, those werent one shot kill weapons, they didnt have insane rates of fire that other guns couldnt compete with, people just used them because they liked them

 

I don't know if you played the PC version or whatnot but the AK's were overpowered, you can drop a whole team with one clip, why do you think IW balanced out the damage in MW2 for the AK-47? I never said they were one shot kill weapons, name one SMG or AR from the other cod's that was a one shot kill weapon used in regular modes not hardcore.

 

 

you only pointed out 2 maps, where it was possible to rack up kills with killstreaks if things just happened to go your way that match, but it wasn't a every game type of deal and by and large the rest of the maps more than made up for them, also i dont know what you mean as far as spamming air strikes, i dont see how its possible since your kills stack and if you failed to use your prior killstreaks from 5 and got to 7 you lost your airstrike and went straight to chopper

 

Ever played a 32 player slot pub tdm round in the mentioned maps? Mainly bog or wetworks, player's would constantly spam killstreaks on spawn area's and chopper's in the round's which sometimes so well executed by a very good team, you'd have no chance of getting kills but to camp and hide.

 

i mean if honestly you dont think cod4 was the most balanced and had the best maps as a whole, then i would really like to hear which cod you think was the pinnacle of the series and your reasons for them

 

The only reason cod4 was the pinnacle of the series is because it was the first of its kind released, their was no other modernised fps shooter like it, yeh it sort of changed the fps genre for war based shooter's, but it had a lot of its own flaws.

 

If IW went back and created another cod just like cod4 with some extra map's there won't be as much player's playing it as compared to the first release of cod4, I personally know I wouldn't, because it's been done and played over. The second reason why a lot of people played it because there was a ridiculous amount combinations of perks and overpowered weapons such as the AK that would rank up a lot of kills, for player's that played cod4 professionally (such as I did) for lan events and major hardware sponsors, we modded the crap out of config files knowing the insides and outs, we had this option in cod4 (and waw) that no other cods offered. There are too many restrictions in the new cods and having forking out your hard earned cash for a game and only to be restricted to how the developer want's you to play the game is a big no, lot's of people lost interest in mw2 onward's was the lack of console.

 

 

also i dont pretend to be some massive cod elitist or expert, im a battlefield player if anything, but i also enjoy cod and fps games period

 

I don't hate cod4 or anything but from your previous comments made it seem that cod4 was and is perfect and I had to correct this.

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchi MerenGue View Post

also mad lust envy is right, like it or not, cod4 did more to influence the fps landscape and define what a fps game is than any other fps in recent history

 

 

There is also a difference basing your opinions on the bias of fanboyism and basing the factual evidence provided from a comparison of all the games, coming from a global point of view.


Edited by DefQon - 11/22/12 at 2:41pm
post #167 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

I'd like to know how he could dismiss the impact CoD4 had on the FPS gaming industry. Love it or hate it, you'd be blind not to see just how influential that game was on almost every FOS game made today. Even Halo 4 has taken a lot of what first appeared in CoD4.

It's a negative impact to FPS gaming industry how every other developer is trying to cut a slice out of the cod series. I mean look at how horribly the new MoH turned out to be? I'm glad CS GO didn't turn out like cod, iron sighting with the red dot attachment or seriously the gaming industry will be just as bad as it is today.

post #168 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefQon View Post

It's a negative impact to FPS gaming industry how every other developer is trying to cut a slice out of the cod series. I mean look at how horribly the new MoH turned out to be? I'm glad CS GO didn't turn out like cod, iron sighting with the red dot attachment or seriously the gaming industry will be just as bad as it is today.

first of all 90 percent of your assertions are rendered invalid because you failed to mention you were talking about the pc versions, most of the planet plays cod on console and it was only from that perspective that i can form an opinion and my evaluation, but i dont want to get into it as i would only be repeating what i've already said

 

 

i agree that the impact felt might not necessarily be desirable to fps in the interest of diversity and inguenity, but that was never the arguement, it was whether the cod series from 4 up reinvented what a fps was thought to be. the second cod4 came out, the entire industry saw a paradigm shift in gameplay mechanics and overall approach online multiplayer. no one asked you to agree or disagree whether it was a move in a positive direction, only that it affected movement, in this case, dramatic movement, its hard to find a fps console game that doesnt at least give you the option for the cod controller layout, moh has killstreaks, one hit kill panic knifing is the order of the day now on most console fps games, if you think cod didnt have a hand in any of that, you're blind

 

 

lol also btw, the new moh, completely apes both cod and bf and it makes no attempt to hide this....this is what makes it awesome! seriously have you played warfighter online? that sh!t is fun as hell, it blends both types of gameplay while managing to feel somewhat fresh and unique in its own right, it just sucks that most people were swayed by reviews to not give the online a chance itself....i will admit that the campaign is insanely boring and the game is not worth 60, 40 or under for the mp seems about right

post #169 of 225

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dutchi MerenGue View Post

first of all 90 percent of your assertions are rendered invalid because you failed to mention you were talking about the pc versions, most of the planet plays cod on console and it was only from that perspective that i can form an opinion and my evaluation, but i dont want to get into it as i would only be repeating what i've already said

 

Blah blah, you failed to mention what platform your original based opinion was on.

 

i agree that the impact felt might not necessarily be desirable to fps in the interest of diversity and inguenity, but that was never the arguement, it was whether the cod series from 4 up reinvented what a fps was thought to be. the second cod4 came out, the entire industry saw a paradigm shift in gameplay mechanics and overall approach online multiplayer. no one asked you to agree or disagree whether it was a move in a positive direction, only that it affected movement, in this case, dramatic movement, its hard to find a fps console game that doesnt at least give you the option for the cod controller layout, moh has killstreaks, one hit kill panic knifing is the order of the day now on most console fps games, if you think cod didnt have a hand in any of that, you're blind

 

Yeh it is turning the whole FPS style into linear and singlehandedly boring shooter's.

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dutchi MerenGue View Post

lol also btw, the new moh, completely apes both cod and bf and it makes no attempt to hide this....this is what makes it awesome! seriously have you played warfighter online? that sh!t is fun as hell, it blends both types of gameplay while managing to feel somewhat fresh and unique in its own right, it just sucks that most people were swayed by reviews to not give the online a chance itself....i will admit that the campaign is insanely boring and the game is not worth 60, 40 or under for the mp seems about right

Whatever your smoking pass some around to me, a large percentage of the reviews online along with me agree that the MoH is and was a disappointment. I have played Warfighter I pre-order and own any new fps game that comes out and Warfighter was the biggest disappointment of the year, not to mention it is being offered with 50% discount now due to it having completely crap sales. Funny thing you say it rapes Cod and BF when the sales pitch have not even gone anywhere near a third of what both Cod and BF has achieved. MoH was promised to reinvent the MP experience better after the failure of MoH1's SP and MP modes, but it turned out otherwise to be yet again not turd that can't be polished or like MoH1 dropped with no more support. I agree that everyone has their own view, but what you said is just so wrong and funny, just give up your fanboyism because it is not getting you anywhere with making any valid points to this argument between you and me.

 

/argument.


Edited by DefQon - 11/22/12 at 5:12pm
post #170 of 225
.
post #171 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefQon View Post

Whatever your smoking pass some around to me, a large percentage of the reviews online along with me agree that the MoH is and was a disappointment. I have played Warfighter I pre-order and own any new fps game that comes out and Warfighter was the biggest disappointment of the year, not to mention it is being offered with 50% discount now due to it having completely crap sales. Funny thing you say it rapes Cod and BF when the sales pitch have not even gone anywhere near a third of what both Cod and BF has achieved. MoH was promised to reinvent the MP experience better after the failure of MoH1's SP and MP modes, but it turned out otherwise to be yet again not turd that can't be polished or like MoH1 dropped with no more support. I agree that everyone has their own view, but what you said is just so wrong and funny, just give up your fanboyism because it is not getting you anywhere with making any valid points to this argument between you and me.

 

/argument.

 

lol, i said "apes" as in, directly steals, also idgaf about sales, i dont work for ea pr, i only care if its fun or not. i didnt buy moh i ended up stuck with it after a redbox rental, never said it was better than either, i said it was fun, madddddd fun, i even go so far as to not recommend purchase at 60 and completely sh!t on the campaign, the only thing i said was that it sucks most people cant look past reviews to try out for themselves which you somehow took offense to because the inner fanboy in you is so strong that you couldnt possibly fathom someone having fun with a game unless it had your blessing

 

lol i dont know how the hell i could be a fanboy of any game or series i mentioned in this thread, i take no sides, i dont particular like or hate cod or any other series. i play games to play games, its either fun or it isnt, you're the one who works up an almost religious ferver and turning a blind eye to solid observations just so you can continue to ride your high horse and push your elitist "pc shooters are superior to console shooters and cod is a cancer to the fps genre" agenda which seems to underpin every single one of your posts thus far

 

 

let me just speak plain so you dont have an aneurism and i dont have to keep replying to you when u misunderstand a post. cod is fun but not the end all be all of gaming, bf is fun but not the end all be all of gaming, cs is fun but not the etc etc etc.

 

tldr: if a game is fun and you like it, play it. f*%# reviews.


Edited by Dutchi MerenGue - 11/22/12 at 6:20pm
post #172 of 225
Well DefQon, a contrary opinion in a CoD thread isn't going to be popular. Even in a thread where the game under scrutiny is mainly seeming to receive a "meh." You've made a few good points, but at the same time killstreaks and modern weapons (vs WWII equip) were what broke the pattern at that point and made it a breakthrough game. I may point out that it seems imbalanced that you can create a class and start every spawn with the weapons and perks that make you most powerful, but that's what made the game popular. And then, there will always be fans, just like many people are happy to watch football over and over again because the performance is different.

I don't think the latest CoD games are bad, per se, but I think they are ripe for loosing their crown to something fresh and innovative.
post #173 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evshrug View Post

Well DefQon, a contrary opinion in a CoD thread isn't going to be popular. Even in a thread where the game under scrutiny is mainly seeming to receive a "meh." You've made a few good points, but at the same time killstreaks and modern weapons (vs WWII equip) were what broke the pattern at that point and made it a breakthrough game. I may point out that it seems imbalanced that you can create a class and start every spawn with the weapons and perks that make you most powerful, but that's what made the game popular. And then, there will always be fans, just like many people are happy to watch football over and over again because the performance is different.
I don't think the latest CoD games are bad, per se, but I think they are ripe for loosing their crown to something fresh and innovative.

You make a great point Evshrug and it is true, use of killstreaks and modern weapons did break the point to what was completely different with past fps shooters.

 

I'm actually deciding to myself at this point whether I should laugh at the last post Dutchi Merengue in response to mine or that I should feel pity that he/she is finding it hard to understand and comprehend what I was saying before, I never attacked any of the cod line of games, merely just correcting the stated impression that cod4 was this and that in the past previous posts and then bang I get responses, thing's such as "pc shooters are superior to console shooters and cod is a cancer to the fps genre" agenda which seems to underpin every single one of your posts thus far" also tell's me that Dutchi did not even read through my post at all but spouting crap saying I did this and that which I won't even bother pointing through to something an 8 year old can do.

 

It's really a shame someone people think single-mindedly or respond with one type of reaction, wonder how these people respond to real life situation's with similar 'alike' topics and agenda's, it beat's me. 

 

Sigh.

 

/Un-subscribed. Really wish their was an ignore button on this site, now I'm going to enjoy some Blops 2 and Bf3. very_evil_smiley.gif


Edited by DefQon - 11/22/12 at 9:56pm
post #174 of 225

hmm............looks like I'm out of popcorn.

 

K, time to put in my two cents.   

 

First off, whenever you tell someone their opinion is wrong, unless you can prove it beyond a reasonable doubt, you've already lost.  Remember that wink.gif

 

NOW!  I've actually played CoD2: Big Red One and CoD2 on the 360, though I don't remember much of the multiplayer because it's been.....6 years(?) since I last played it.  However, everyone and their mother knows Call of Duty didn't have anywhere near the influence it does today until Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare came out.  Let's not forget that, back then, Halo was still the console FPS king, and the thing back then was companies trying to find that "Halo killer" (Killzone anyone?).  Activision got lucky & did it with a game they released every year, based on a style of warfare Rainbow Six has been doing for how long now?

 

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare wasn't just the first CoD game that took off in a major way, but it also did a lot of things right.  For one, it was insanely easy to get into.  Compared to every CoD after it (minus WaW because I skipped that one and BO2 cuz I haven't played it), it's the most balanced one.  In CoD4, you couldn't replenish your ammo, period.  Once it was gone, it was gone.  You had bandolier to give you more ammo from the start, but once you ran through that, you needed to find a new weapon.  There was no scavenger to replenish your grenade launcher once you used up the rounds, or replenish your claymores.  You also had to give up Perk 1 in order to use the grenade launcher, so you couldn't whore the living hell out of it like you can in Modern Warfare 2 (cough cough One Man Army).  There was no Commando in CoD4 as well, and you only had three killstreaks.  Now, granted you could whore the killstreaks just by saving your chopper 'til you died, then call it in so it would rack up seven kills for you (Shipwreck, how I miss you frown.gif), and it was also a pain to take down.....'less your entire team was smart enough to shoot at it all at once.  I also don't remember a single weapon being the best in the game because I used almost every single assault rifle and performed well with them, same with half the SMG's and all of the snipers.  To the person that complained about sniping, name the maps you could effectively snipe on.....I can think of two off the top of my head, Creek and Overgrown, and last time I checked, that game had more than two maps.

 

Speaking of the maps, I also don't remember there being many places you could post up in a random spot and sit there roasting s'mores all day like you can in almost every single CoD after it; people still camped, but it was no where near what it is today.  Then again, this was back in the days when arena FPS's were still hot and Unreal Tournament 2004 was one of the most-played FPS's (too bad it was a PC exclusive frown.gif).  Ah the good ol' days when people weren't so concerned with camping and ran out because they had a better reaction time and aim than you & were legitimately better than you.  I miss those days.

 

Continuing, CoD4 also had a pretty good perk system.  Some canceled others out, some gave you more of one thing that you still couldn't replenish when they were gone, others gave you two primaries but didn't give you the benefit of Stopping Power.....Bandolier, Stopping Power, Dead Silence/Deep Impact.  I miss thee.  There weren't too many perks that were broken (I HATE Commando) from CoD4.   Also, the story made enough sense and was easy to follow to be considered good.  The campaign contained a lot of action sequences you didn't see too often from a shooting game.

 

Then Modern Warfare 2 came along, and here comes all the issues.  The only thing CoD4 needed was dedicated servers.  Did we get them?  NO!  Instead we get a game that makes it insanely easy to abuse it, get kills, get ridiculous killstreaks (I blame it all on the Nuke), perks that made the impossible in CoD4 possible (e.g. replenish grenade launcher rounds) and WHY did they add a heartbeat sensor?!  Don't even get me started on the P.O.S. that is Modern Warfare 3.

 

Did I mention CoD4 came out during a time when the FPS market was literally flooded with WWII shooters?  Seriously, how many times can I kick Nazi ass in a video game about a war that happened 60 years ago and is always talked about in our history books throughout all of grade-school?


Edited by SkitZ0 - 11/23/12 at 5:18am
post #175 of 225
Actually, you COULD replenish your ammo. Many weapons shared the same rounds, and all you had to do was run over dead bodies/weapons that shared the same rounds as your weapon.

Or if youre lucky, someone else is using the same obscure weapon you are and you could replenish that way.
post #176 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

Actually, you COULD replenish your ammo. Many weapons shared the same rounds, and all you had to do was run over dead bodies/weapons that shared the same rounds as your weapon.
Or if youre lucky, someone else is using the same obscure weapon you are and you could replenish that way.

 

I actually forgot about that.  Still, there wasn't a Scavenger perk in CoD4.

post #177 of 225
SkitZ0,
I find your post to be well-said, even if it does happen to agree with my point of view. I personally wasn't able to find the words to describe that I also come from the school of arena-shooter, that aggression, rushing, and agility are more fun IMO to play than real modern war since the advent of machine guns in WWI – peeking out from cover for a fast spray at exposed "noobs" or snipe. That's just MY preference, others revel in Gears of War, and others still prefer to play mainstream games and only play cautious like their life depended on it only as a last resort when playing against the odds.

To be honest, I could get used to any game, so long as the gamer community didn't exploit and cheat. Very soon after MW2 came out, people started chaining killstreaks to get artificially high (to their skill level) K/D ratios from Nukes, and dashboarding along the way if they die, and more K/D boosting via teams of Tactical Insertion spawn killers. Where is the game in that? What is fun about a bunch of hollow stats? Those were the reasons I never followed along with the yearly releases. And I don't know how rampant this was in later games, but CoD4 became almost unplayable around the time of CoD:BO's release because 2/3 lobbies were modded for unlimited ammo, teleportation outside the maps, experience griefing, and individual wall-hacks and aimbots. There were even hacks to change the color of your vision to scientifically-proven eye-fatiguing colors. Good Grief Charlie Brown! I honestly hope that every social deviant who gets his jollies by griefing others instead of simply playing the game get's an IP ban from multiplayer services.

Luckily for me and any fellow CoD4 gamers, things started to clean up around the time of MW3's release. It seems the hackers mostly got bored or banned, and modded lobbies are rare. The population seems to have grown as well, with more people ranking up who are learning the game. It's like the newest games are so "average," that people are interested in checking out why people regard CoD4 as a classic. My other friends say that the influx of new players has slowed since CoDBO2, for which is fine, but overall I am impressed and encouraged that CoD4 is not a dead game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefQon View Post

You make a great point Evshrug and it is true, use of killstreaks and modern weapons did break the point to what was completely different with past fps shooters.

Un-subscribed. Really wish their was an ignore button on this site, now I'm going to enjoy some Blops 2 and Bf3.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Lol damn, one sentence to sum up my entire post. My concision clearly needs practice.

On the topic of your last sentence, I've noticed that, since about September, every time I post in Mad's thread, Head-Fi automatically changes my subscription to frequent email updates. I change it back to no email alerts, because I pretty much check the thread manually every day anyway, but I hate having to sift through multiple unnecessary extra emails. Anybody have the same experience?
post #178 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evshrug View Post

On the topic of your last sentence, I've noticed that, since about September, every time I post in Mad's thread, Head-Fi automatically changes my subscription to frequent email updates. I change it back to no email alerts, because I pretty much check the thread manually every day anyway, but I hate having to sift through multiple unnecessary extra emails. Anybody have the same experience?

 

interestingly enough, this happened to me on a different website (OCN) which uses the same forum software as head-fi.  it happened in two threads only....both of which were BLOPS2 threads.  conspiracy?  i'd say so.

post #179 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evshrug View Post

SkitZ0,
I find your post to be well-said, even if it does happen to agree with my point of view. I personally wasn't able to find the words to describe that I also come from the school of arena-shooter, that aggression, rushing, and agility are more fun IMO to play than real modern war since the advent of machine guns in WWI – peeking out from cover for a fast spray at exposed "noobs" or snipe. That's just MY preference, others revel in Gears of War, and others still prefer to play mainstream games and only play cautious like their life depended on it only as a last resort when playing against the odds.
To be honest, I could get used to any game, so long as the gamer community didn't exploit and cheat. Very soon after MW2 came out, people started chaining killstreaks to get artificially high (to their skill level) K/D ratios from Nukes, and dashboarding along the way if they die, and more K/D boosting via teams of Tactical Insertion spawn killers. Where is the game in that? What is fun about a bunch of hollow stats? Those were the reasons I never followed along with the yearly releases. And I don't know how rampant this was in later games, but CoD4 became almost unplayable around the time of CoD:BO's release because 2/3 lobbies were modded for unlimited ammo, teleportation outside the maps, experience griefing, and individual wall-hacks and aimbots. There were even hacks to change the color of your vision to scientifically-proven eye-fatiguing colors. Good Grief Charlie Brown! I honestly hope that every social deviant who gets his jollies by griefing others instead of simply playing the game get's an IP ban from multiplayer services.
Luckily for me and any fellow CoD4 gamers, things started to clean up around the time of MW3's release. It seems the hackers mostly got bored or banned, and modded lobbies are rare. The population seems to have grown as well, with more people ranking up who are learning the game. It's like the newest games are so "average," that people are interested in checking out why people regard CoD4 as a classic. My other friends say that the influx of new players has slowed since CoDBO2, for which is fine, but overall I am impressed and encouraged that CoD4 is not a dead game.
Lol damn, one sentence to sum up my entire post. My concision clearly needs practice.
On the topic of your last sentence, I've noticed that, since about September, every time I post in Mad's thread, Head-Fi automatically changes my subscription to frequent email updates. I change it back to no email alerts, because I pretty much check the thread manually every day anyway, but I hate having to sift through multiple unnecessary extra emails. Anybody have the same experience?

 

I don't think I'll ever go back to Call of Duty 4 since sooooooo many people want to quick-scope with the M40A5.  I'll stick to Battlefield 3.

post #180 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkitZ0 View Post

 

I don't think I'll ever go back to Call of Duty 4 since sooooooo many people want to quick-scope with the M40A5.  I'll stick to Battlefield 3.

Quickscoping has been popular in CoD4 for YEARS now, and R700 is where it's at! Screw M40A3 biggrin.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Games Discussion
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Call of Duty: Black Ops II