Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum) › Is this a good deal for 5.1 speakers + receiver?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Is this a good deal for 5.1 speakers + receiver?

post #1 of 6
Thread Starter 
I know very little about audio or speakers. A good friend of mine's parents are trying to get rid of a 5.1 set + receiver that they don't have space for. Here are the various pieces (the craigslist posts are NOT the ones I'll be receiving, just the same model). I'd be getting everything for $500.
 
 
I'd be using them for TV/movies (HTPC or ATV/Boxee Box, haven't decided) and also music (various potential sources ex: iPhone, Airport Express, HTPC/ATV/Boxee Box, etc). I live in a studio apartment.
 
Is this a pretty good deal? Is it overkill for what I'd want/need, or is the deal good enough that I should get them as an investment for now and the future?
 
Any advice/thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.
post #2 of 6

Google their prices.  Google is your best friend.  Then you need to examine them in person before buying.

post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 404Ender View Post
I know very little about audio or speakers. A good friend of mine's parents are trying to get rid of a 5.1 set + receiver that they don't have space for. Here are the various pieces (the craigslist posts are NOT the ones I'll be receiving, just the same model). I'd be getting everything for $500.
I'd be using them for TV/movies (HTPC or ATV/Boxee Box, haven't decided) and also music (various potential sources ex: iPhone, Airport Express, HTPC/ATV/Boxee Box, etc). I live in a studio apartment.
Is this a pretty good deal? Is it overkill for what I'd want/need, or is the deal good enough that I should get them as an investment for now and the future?
Any advice/thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

It's a good deal, JBL at a minimum is decent.

and the Yamaha has surround sound for headphones.

post #4 of 6
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post

Google their prices.  Google is your best friend.  Then you need to examine them in person before buying.

 

That helps me with price, but not quality. Most of the reviews of these are 5-6 years old, so I have no idea how well they've held up since then, or if there's an equivalent set I could buy now for $500 that's newer and much better. Also, the audio jargon in those reviews doesn't make much sense to me, but I know that most people on here are pretty knowledgable, which is why I asked. It's quicker.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post

It's a good deal, JBL at a minimum is decent.

and the Yamaha has surround sound for headphones.

 

Thanks, this is pretty much what I was looking for. "Decent" to you guys I'm hoping will sound pretty great to me. I guess at worst I could just re-sell them if I'm unhappy.

post #5 of 6

$500 for all that looks to be a good deal. Make sure to test the speakers before hand to make sure you like them. Other then that, good looking deal

post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 404Ender View Post

 

That helps me with price, but not quality. Most of the reviews of these are 5-6 years old, so I have no idea how well they've held up since then, or if there's an equivalent set I could buy now for $500 that's newer and much better. Also, the audio jargon in those reviews doesn't make much sense to me, but I know that most people on here are pretty knowledgable, which is why I asked. It's quicker.

 

 

Thanks, this is pretty much what I was looking for. "Decent" to you guys I'm hoping will sound pretty great to me. I guess at worst I could just re-sell them if I'm unhappy.

The speakers your looking at were JBLs value line.

The last time I listened to JBLs was back in the late 80's, but remember I liked their sound.

Harmon Audio own's JBL and I've heard they like to put a lot of effort in designing speakers.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum) › Is this a good deal for 5.1 speakers + receiver?