Just got off of the beta myself; longtime Guild Wars player (under the name of Ghora the Hammer, guild master of The Dark Masters). I've been looking forward to Guild Wars 2 for a while; I've been interested ever since I knew they were adding additional races (I'm probably going to end up with a Sylvari, depending on exactly what they're like). Since this isn't a closed beta anymore, here's a few thoughts on my experience with the beta this weekend so far:
- It could be more reliable - I had to retry 3 times to get logged in, and then it crashed the first time I selected my home world. It ran fine after that, though.
- Character creation is much improved - you actually have a lot of control over what you look like.
- Why can't you try the Sylvari or Azura in the beta weekend? Oh well, I'll wait on that.
- You can make some pretty cute characters.
- The world is very pretty.
- Combat seems familiar enough to the original to be reasonably intuitive (I'm playing a Guardian, which didn't exist before); it shares some unpleasant elements with Dragon Age 2, but it's okay.
- I never like voiced player characters, and I don't like it here. It seems like you might not have to put up with it too often, though.
- I fell through the earth! (Near the Great Collapse in the city)
On the whole it seems promising so far. Hopefully it won't pick up some of the negative elements it used to have (such as a really terrible community in a lot of ways). I don't expect to find much role-playing going on - MMORPGs are always a bit light on the RPG elements. I'll probably have to restrict myself to being the lunatic fringe
Anyway, I'll be playing this weekend, probably mostly in the evenings; my user name is Exediron and my current character is Illyena Ravenstar.
Above: A couple of screenshots of my character I took while I was trapped on the side of the Great Collapse (before I figured out how to fast travel out).