Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Car racing games
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Car racing games

post #1 of 27
Thread Starter 

 

Please suggest me the best car racing game.

post #2 of 27

Top Gear I & II for the Super Nintendo -pretty awesome [Old though]

 

*don't hurt me for these please*

I <3 Need for Speed Underground 2 [and I had it on the GC] as well as Most Wanted

 

And a rather humerous racing game [imo] is Simpsons Road Rage, the commentary + the wacky physics make it a riot every time I play it!

post #3 of 27

Which platform? pc, ps3, xbox? 

post #4 of 27

Forza if you like tweaking and painting, GT 5 if you like straight driving, and Dirt 2 if you like a little more action than sterility in your racing games. 

 

First 2 has the most annoying voices ever, but I play it muted to DnB so it's great.

post #5 of 27

Need for Speed Underground 2 became very entertaining, especially when adding mods that significantly change the overall look/audio of the game, as well as car mods that change handling other than just skins.

 

OP, what kind of racing games are you into? Street racing, rally, formula 1, go kart driving, what?

post #6 of 27

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roller View Post

Need for Speed Underground 2 became very entertaining, especially when adding mods that significantly change the overall look/audio of the game, as well as car mods that change handling other than just skins.

 

OP, what kind of racing games are you into? Street racing, rally, formula 1, go kart driving, what?

 


Yea it's still one of my favorites, when I learned how to use the Dyno things became much more interesting and there was suddenly a wave of replay ability [since you can't redo a race for more money like you can in the new ones]

 

As far as the audio changing I didn't notice much change in the audio except for changes in the car itself, engine would sound different same for gear shifts ect... but I've not played since I got my Head Phones... It might be time to pwn some computers once again! [Just wish I had the specs to run it on my PC as the GC version of it lacks some features I hear]

post #7 of 27
post #8 of 27

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post


Yea it's still one of my favorites, when I learned how to use the Dyno things became much more interesting and there was suddenly a wave of replay ability [since you can't redo a race for more money like you can in the new ones]

 

As far as the audio changing I didn't notice much change in the audio except for changes in the car itself, engine would sound different same for gear shifts ect... but I've not played since I got my Head Phones... It might be time to pwn some computers once again! [Just wish I had the specs to run it on my PC as the GC version of it lacks some features I hear]

 

NFS:U2 never really had much money issues, it was well paced in that regard. Most Wanted on the other hand went the other way around, really forcing players to grind for cash.

 

Some car mods come with redone audio packages, which is a nice touch, but not common. A very cool retexturing mod I use for that game is this:

 

What are your system specs?

post #9 of 27

That depends. Do you want an arcade "floor it and go" sort of game, or a hardcore racing simulator that'll give you new respect for professional drivers as the unforgivingly realistic driving physics punish you for every mistake?

 

For the latter, there's the likes of rFactor (tons of mods, so you'll probably find something you like), iRacing (requires a subscription, but is said to be currently the best hardcore sim at the moment), Richard Burns Rally (has the RSRBR mod to add tons of new cars and tracks, and is generally regarded as the best rally sim out right now), Grand Prix Legends (old Papyrus sim that goes back to the 1960s Grand Prix, and is also ruthlessly difficult), and the various SimBin titles like the GTR series.

 

At least, all of that's what the SimHQ folk are into. I should take another shot at RSRBR, but it's damn hard and I could use a better wheel and pedals.

 

For the former...I enjoy the Burnout series, but it's less straight-laced racing and more "smash up the competition", albeit not to a Carmageddon extent. Also, it's been years since I last played Need for Speed: High Stakes, but I feel like giving it another shot if I ever get the chance.

post #10 of 27

Specs, I got a Pentium 4 3.02 ghz 3gbs of ram and more than likely a 64mb on board video card!

 

But yea money wasn't an issue but at the same time it was. Your right it was well paced... if you wanted to make 5 cars, sadly though un like most wanted you couldn't have one story account and make like 20 cars without starting all over and re unlocking everything! So I like being able to just build and build and build cars, without having to go through the story par say or the arcade. It was just cool driving around the city with a different car.

 

Still though I've got a urge to play some NSF2 again :3 [I did like Carbon for one reason only... your could really do some nice Graphics on your cars... and that's about it xD]

post #11 of 27

My vote for hardcore sims would be iRacing. I'm getting ready to re-sub to it as I just got a 3 month for 1 code in my email. Gosta get that C or B oval license over the summer! They just released the Cadillac CTS-VR for free, check it out:

 

post #12 of 27

Race 07, LFS to add to the list.

 

Race 07 has a lot of content going for it.

post #13 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roller View Post

 

 

NFS:U2 never really had much money issues, it was well paced in that regard. Most Wanted on the other hand went the other way around, really forcing players to grind for cash.

 

Some car mods come with redone audio packages, which is a nice touch, but not common. A very cool retexturing mod I use for that game is this:

 

What are your system specs?

My specs are enough to run the game at the lowest Graphics setting, any higher and I start to lagg xD. I can use the effects like the particle system, Lights ect... but to increase the texture detail... I'm going to need a better pc. But I'll have one soon enough, College money is great for bying a new pc with. Although I am happy that NFSU2 was recognized by my Logitech Game pad, with commands already preset! That was a nice suprise :3, I'm installing Most Wanted now, as I like both games but... my GC disks are getting flaky and my Pc can run the games a little prettyr than the GC could ;3

post #14 of 27
I built a driving station in my office closet using the logitech g27 wheel/pedals/shifter and a dedicated 24" montior mounted right infront of the wheel. I originally had it setup in my living room in front of the 60" with full surround....but my wife didn't care for that =P

I currently spend a great deal of time with GT5. For an all around simulator its about as good as it gets. It has good physics, good graphics and a huge selection of cars.

I did enjoy the forza games ability to modify and detail a car though. Unfortunately the xbox360 does not support my g27 so I have not picked up the newest one.

I do have several of the PC sims. GT2, race07 and have tried iRacing. My problem with the PC games is that none of them have the complete package. Some have great physics but terrible graphics. Great graphics but limited car choices. Ect. I have a good gaming rig and would love for a PC sim to come out that is the of the quality of GT5 or Forza but the the moddabilty of a PC game.
Edited by Mawnee - 6/4/12 at 5:35pm
post #15 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mawnee View Post

I built a driving station in my office closet using the logitech g27 wheel/pedals/shifter and a dedicated 24" montior mounted right infront of the wheel. I originally had it setup in my living room in front of the 60" with full surround....but my wife didn't care for that =P
I currently spend a great deal of time with GT5. For an all around simulator its about as good as it gets. It has good physics, good graphics and a huge selection of cars.
I did enjoy the forza games ability to modify and detail a car though. Unfortunately the xbox360 does not support my g27 so I have not picked up the newest one.
I do have several of the PC sims. GT2, race07 and have tried iRacing. My problem with the PC games is that none of them have the complete package. Some have great physics but terrible graphics. Great graphics but limited car choices. Ect. I have a good gaming rig and would love for a PC sim to come out that is the of the quality of GT5 or Forza but the the moddabilty of a PC game.

 

GT5 and Forza is fun for casual racing but their physics is not quite as convincing I feel. But I must say Forza 4 grew when playing on my 51" TV and gamepad over my racing monitor with full wheel setup. It just felt better suited for casual racing then ultimate realism :) That said it´s not bad with wheel surely but then I just start to nag about the physics when things don´t quite feels right :)

 

Another PC sim you have to try is Game Stock car. Truly excellent sim. It won´t again impress you on the visual side of things but then again you don´t need a cray computer to get your 100 fps generally.

But yes better visuals don´t hurt much but regarding cars I preferr quality over quantity unless there is a more casual approach to it like GT5 and Forza :)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Games Discussion
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Car racing games