Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The FitEar CIEM Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The FitEar CIEM Impressions Thread - Page 159

post #2371 of 3724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiats View Post

Thanks! Gavin had kindly given me a heads up and I'm just waiting to get my grubby hands on it. smily_headphones1.gif
Time to edit your signature. Again.
post #2372 of 3724
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgelai57 View Post


Time to edit your signature. Again.

 

Na... I don't count my chickens before they hatch. Besides, there is no reason to rush this one. I am well entertained as it is. :L3000:

post #2373 of 3724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiats View Post

Na... I don't count my chickens before they hatch. Besides, there is no reason to rush this one. I am well entertained as it is. L3000.gif
If you dont like carrying an additional amp, there is no substantial SQ improvement you can gain from the new DAPs
Probably just different synergy..
post #2374 of 3724
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicHolyGhost View Post


If you dont like carrying an additional amp, there is no substantial SQ improvement you can gain from the new DAPs
Probably just different synergy..

 

Thanks for the advice, CHG! I agree. Hence, I am in no particular rush. In fact, I am not afraid to confess that it will be in part due to sentimental reasons if I pick up the ZX-1 as the latter day iteration of the Walkman. Sorry - I'm betraying my age. :tongue_smile:

post #2375 of 3724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiats View Post

Thanks for the advice, CHG! I agree. Hence, I am in no particular rush. In fact, I am not afraid to confess that it will be in part due to sentimental reasons if I pick up the ZX-1 as the latter day iteration of the Walkman. Sorry - I'm betraying my age. tongue_smile.gif
A lot of us oldies started our hi-fi journeys with Sony - cassette decks, Walkmans, Discmans, etc. It was possibly the pre-eminent brand of its day.
post #2376 of 3724
I was an AIWA boy.
post #2377 of 3724
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgelai57 View Post


A lot of us oldies started our hi-fi journeys with Sony - cassette decks, Walkmans, Discmans, etc. It was possibly the pre-eminent brand of its day.

 

I am glad I am not alone. :wink_face:

post #2378 of 3724
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurochin View Post

I was an AIWA boy.

 

Kurochin, I actually a couple of AIWA "walkman" myself. Sadly, we don't see much of them these days.

post #2379 of 3724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiats View Post

Kurochin, I actually a couple of AIWA "walkman" myself. Sadly, we don't see much of them these days.
Yup Aiwa too. I loved their home decks. But back to portables, we were so so happy to be able to carry 3-4 tapes with us outside the house, plus batteries. Now we talk of GB and TB, plain vanilla MP3 vs DSD/FLAC. OK, time for this old guy to stop reminiscing.
post #2380 of 3724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiats View Post
 

 

Thanks for the advice, CHG! I agree. Hence, I am in no particular rush. In fact, I am not afraid to confess that it will be in part due to sentimental reasons if I pick up the ZX-1 as the latter day iteration of the Walkman. Sorry - I'm betraying my age. :tongue_smile:

haha

I used to bring a carrying case with around 30cds and a discman in college.  some of my best friends are met in the school's coffee shop while I was listening to music between lectures. discman and  music are good icebreakers.

post #2381 of 3724
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicHolyGhost View Post
 

haha

I used to bring a carrying case with around 30cds and a discman in college.  some of my best friends are met in the school's coffee shop while I was listening to music between lectures. discman and  music are good icebreakers.

 

yes, i remember those carry cases with double sided pockets. ah... simpler times when there wasn't much of a choice of transport and burning your own selections on CDs was like cutting edge technology... :beerchug:

post #2382 of 3724
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgelai57 View Post


Yup Aiwa too. I loved their home decks. But back to portables, we were so so happy to be able to carry 3-4 tapes with us outside the house, plus batteries. Now we talk of GB and TB, plain vanilla MP3 vs DSD/FLAC. OK, time for this old guy to stop reminiscing.

:beerchug:

post #2383 of 3724
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveTan View Post

Are you located near a Jaben? Since actually purchasing the FitEar CIEMs might pose some difficulties. You have to physically be there to do the impressions.

 

You also probably want to listen to the demos before buying...

 

Buying blind into CIEMs is just too risky unless you've heard the company's sound signature before in their universal products (like the TG334).

 



With CIEM there's always a big risk - since even with demo units you will not get the same seal as the real deal so the sound will be different.

As for the whole buying experience - I actually suggest a mix approach. There are a lot of good equipment in the 200-300 dollar range, get familiar with those first, then go straight to the top. Try one (or two) of the more reputable and heavily used/reviewed universials like a Westone W3/Um3x, Shure 535, Triple fi 10 or Senns ie8/ie80 (maybe even look for some used ones, lots of people bought these and are trading them off as they upgrade), then go read plenty of reviews of them to understand all the sound jargon, and go custom from there. Forget about the expensive cables and stuff for these universials as you'll end up burning more money for very little improvement than jumping to a pair of customs from this stage. You'll save a lot more money while still get a learning experience about the different sound signatures.
Edited by nanaholic - 3/9/14 at 6:52pm
post #2384 of 3724
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanaholic View Post
 
 
With CIEM there's always a big risk - since even with demo units you will not get the same seal as the real deal so the sound will be different.

 

 

Agree on the difference between the demo units and the real CIEM. Sadly, there is no other way of auditioning the sound of the CIEM. I think we just need to be prepared for some variance from the demo unit. And whether that is acceptable.

post #2385 of 3724
Which is understandable. So is it possible for the sound to become worse, in comparison to the demo unit?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The FitEar CIEM Impressions Thread