Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › My IEM Round-Up (64 Earphones Compared with a LOT MORE Coming)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My IEM Round-Up (64 Earphones Compared with a LOT MORE Coming) - Page 9

post #121 of 202

Great effort here swimsonny.

 

I glanced past you signiture text and thought it said 

'I'm sixteen and love swimming in headphones'

 

Have you tried it?

post #122 of 202
Thread Starter 
Thanks man!

I AMA competitor swimmer so that's what it refers to haha, I have tried it when I once had a cheap pair of water proof IEMs and world out a iPod shuffle is pretty much water prop but my coach does not allow it at training which is a shame.
post #123 of 202

Fair enough.

 

You must use them wax, moldable, earplugs for swimming I guess.

 

Funnily enough it's using them- for sleeping purposes- that has put me off using iem's quite a bit. It's just even though these wax earplugs are vastly more comfortable and usable than alternative earplugs (I think i've tried them all) I find these ever so slightly painful. I've been using them for more than a few months now so it's not like i need to get used to them or anything. 

Ultimately because using iem's a lot during the day makes this pain worse, I refrain. Actually, the only iem I now find usable is the phonak pfe 112's. 

 

Anyway...

post #124 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimsonny View Post

Have you heard both? I think that the shures are more laid back with less shimmer but have a similar extension but more detailed and transparent. The UE has better present and sparkle/shimmer but thicker and less detailed. Both are very smooth and never harsh.

IMO The TF10's have the best treble detail and sparkle I've heard IEM or full size. Even my K701 don't come close. Maybe my LW3 sound a bit better with it's slightly relaxed smooth yet sparkly and extended TWFK treble but I can't do an ABX now that my TF10's have been sold. Extension is incredible as well, almost 20khz. The SE530 lacks the top end extension to bring out the detail.

post #125 of 202
Thread Starter 
I actually don't use any earplugs but have used in the past. I chose not to wear them for comfort reasons which is a shame.

IEMs though I find so comfortable, PFE are the comfiest I have tried, apart from deep inserting ones which get fatiguing after maybe 4 hours and hurt a tad afterwards as well.

You can't beat a nice can for comfort though!
post #126 of 202
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthem View Post

IMO The TF10's have the best treble detail and sparkle I've heard IEM or full size. Even my K701 don't come close. Maybe my LW3 sound a bit better with it's slightly relaxed smooth yet sparkly and extended TWFK treble but I can't do an ABX now that my TF10's have been sold. Extension is incredible as well, almost 20khz. The SE530 lacks the top end extension to bring out the detail.
I also have not heard a better can treble wise that the TF10s but in IEMs I prefer my EX1000s and R-50s which are not on the chart yet and my DBA-02s whose treble
Is in another league. The Shures were equals in my opinion for the reason I stated, Okat the UE have slightly less extension. However the detail on the TF10s was not as good IMO.

Still just by looking at the chart the TF10s had one of my favourite treble.

Also was you using as aftermarket cable, with the silver ray I would agree with you totally in the fact is almost DBA-02.
post #127 of 202

Hey there! good job on the reviews! You moving into any custom reviews soon?

post #128 of 202
Thread Starter 
Thanks man.

I would love to and want to do bad but I can't currently afford one and when I can there would only be one on the table for a while likley. Maybe within a year there will be one, but I will continue with universals for now.
post #129 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimsonny View Post

I actually don't use any earplugs but have used in the past. I chose not to wear them for comfort reasons which is a shame.
IEMs though I find so comfortable, PFE are the comfiest I have tried, apart from deep inserting ones which get fatiguing after maybe 4 hours and hurt a tad afterwards as well.
You can't beat a nice can for comfort though!

 

Oh right. 

 

Yea, cans are more than enough comfortwise, but I like the very much wider range of applications iem's have.

post #130 of 202
Thread Starter 
Oh yes, my IEMs get more use than anything!
post #131 of 202

Great reviews, awesome stuff. They've been very helpful.

 

I'm just wondering -- are the Triple.Fi scores on the table stock? I'm wondering what would change using the Silver Ray cables (which I've been using right now). I'm pretty conflicted about keeping them or trading for the Aurisonics ASG-1 or Westone UM3X. I love the way the vocals are presented now (whereas before they were a bit too buried), but the microphonics are driving me crazy with that cable. It also isn't too portable. In other words, sound is great, but ease of use is mediocre. Was looking for a mid-centric sound and was wondering if the ASG-1 would sound similar and be better in everyday use. You're one of the few people who've heard both, so I'd love to hear your opinion (either that or I might have to buy them all and then sell off the one I don't like...).

post #132 of 202
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeroicPenguin View Post

Great reviews, awesome stuff. They've been very helpful.

 

I'm just wondering -- are the Triple.Fi scores on the table stock? I'm wondering what would change using the Silver Ray cables (which I've been using right now). I'm pretty conflicted about keeping them or trading for the Aurisonics ASG-1 or Westone UM3X. I love the way the vocals are presented now (whereas before they were a bit too buried), but the microphonics are driving me crazy with that cable. It also isn't too portable. In other words, sound is great, but ease of use is mediocre. Was looking for a mid-centric sound and was wondering if the ASG-1 would sound similar and be better in everyday use. You're one of the few people who've heard both, so I'd love to hear your opinion (either that or I might have to buy them all and then sell off the one I don't like...).

Okay, in the table it is with the stock cable. With the silver ray add another 2.5 in the mids, take of 1 in both bas quantity categories and maybe add 0.5 in treble. This is all just a rough idea from what i remember them as they are no longer with me.

 

I agree with both the microphonics and portability of it and if you check my review of it thats just what i said!

 

Now the ASG-1 that i have is the old model and not the latest one. The latest one is perhaps not meant to be mid centric but more bass heavy. The one i have is like an invertion of stock TF10 with extremely forward mids and recessed treble with very good quality bass. Now if you could pick it up i would probably say not to bother as i was one of the only people to really love it as many other found the sound to be too radio like and thought it needed heavy EQ.

 

Now options for you to consider:

 

Mid Centric Sounds:

  1. Vsonic GR06 - Cheap and probably the most budget of the mid-centric sounds. It has a very full sound and lovely airy and forward mids. The bass is also good in quantity and a bit boomy, the treble is not to bad but i found it to be a bit harsh and shrill at times as well as being rolled off. Why get this? It is cheap and could give you an idea if you really want a mid-centric IEM and is also comfy and portable with great accessories and you could end up settling with it even though it is overall lesser to TF10 by some way.
  2. Shure SE530/535 - Great over all quality and has all of the positives of a BA like being fast and great instrument separation. However it also has low quantity bass which is tight and punchy but could be under whelming coming from TF10. Treble is of great quality nut you will find it a lot more relaxed and laid back and a tad less extended. Why get it? You could pick up a 530 cheap for a start. Also it is overall great sounding for a mid centric sound, perhaps the best i have heard but will only satisfy you for the RRP if your really want a mid centric IEM and you could be disappointed but the top and bottom end.
  3. HIFIMAN RE262 - A highly regarded mid centric IEM that i have not tried (but would love to soon) which is in the middle price wise of the two and could be what your looking for.

 

Other options that could be what your looking for:

 

  1. Ortofon EQ-5 - An overall great balanced IEM with great bass and treble and very airy and perhaps slightly forward mids. Is backed up with a good soundstage and instrument separation and ale can be had for a reasonable price. Fit could be an issue but is slightly better than TF10 so you will be fine. I think it is better than TF10 with silver ray overall fairly easily.
  2. FAD Heaven IV - Great bass with beautiful extension and very smooth treble. The mids are oh so airy and ever slightly forward but these have a very unique coloration or darkness around the mids that is, well different and... engaging. Also these have one of the biggest soundstages in a IEM, huge with amazing presentation. Also comes with an amzing case and Jaben bundle it with some great stuff like amps and DACs.

 

For more info on them all check out the individual reviews but these are all very portable and overall great IEM and the only one which value i will not rate is the 535 as it is not worth the RRP.

 

Hope this helps and you get some thing that is what you want, i will say that the two to really look at more are the bottom two!

post #133 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimsonny View Post

Okay, in the table it is with the stock cable. With the silver ray add another 2.5 in the mids, take of 1 in both bas quantity categories and maybe add 0.5 in treble. This is all just a rough idea from what i remember them as they are no longer with me.

 

I agree with both the microphonics and portability of it and if you check my review of it thats just what i said!

 

Now the ASG-1 that i have is the old model and not the latest one. The latest one is perhaps not meant to be mid centric but more bass heavy. The one i have is like an invertion of stock TF10 with extremely forward mids and recessed treble with very good quality bass. Now if you could pick it up i would probably say not to bother as i was one of the only people to really love it as many other found the sound to be too radio like and thought it needed heavy EQ.

 

Now options for you to consider:

 

Mid Centric Sounds:

  1. Vsonic GR06 - Cheap and probably the most budget of the mid-centric sounds. It has a very full sound and lovely airy and forward mids. The bass is also good in quantity and a bit boomy, the treble is not to bad but i found it to be a bit harsh and shrill at times as well as being rolled off. Why get this? It is cheap and could give you an idea if you really want a mid-centric IEM and is also comfy and portable with great accessories and you could end up settling with it even though it is overall lesser to TF10 by some way.
  2. Shure SE530/535 - Great over all quality and has all of the positives of a BA like being fast and great instrument separation. However it also has low quantity bass which is tight and punchy but could be under whelming coming from TF10. Treble is of great quality nut you will find it a lot more relaxed and laid back and a tad less extended. Why get it? You could pick up a 530 cheap for a start. Also it is overall great sounding for a mid centric sound, perhaps the best i have heard but will only satisfy you for the RRP if your really want a mid centric IEM and you could be disappointed but the top and bottom end.
  3. HIFIMAN RE262 - A highly regarded mid centric IEM that i have not tried (but would love to soon) which is in the middle price wise of the two and could be what your looking for.

 

Other options that could be what your looking for:

 

  1. Ortofon EQ-5 - An overall great balanced IEM with great bass and treble and very airy and perhaps slightly forward mids. Is backed up with a good soundstage and instrument separation and ale can be had for a reasonable price. Fit could be an issue but is slightly better than TF10 so you will be fine. I think it is better than TF10 with silver ray overall fairly easily.
  2. FAD Heaven IV - Great bass with beautiful extension and very smooth treble. The mids are oh so airy and ever slightly forward but these have a very unique coloration or darkness around the mids that is, well different and... engaging. Also these have one of the biggest soundstages in a IEM, huge with amazing presentation. Also comes with an amzing case and Jaben bundle it with some great stuff like amps and DACs.

 

For more info on them all check out the individual reviews but these are all very portable and overall great IEM and the only one which value i will not rate is the 535 as it is not worth the RRP.

 

Hope this helps and you get some thing that is what you want, i will say that the two to really look at more are the bottom two!

 

Awesome, super helpful! I was considering the Ortofon EQ-5/7, but I'm kinda wary of the fit. Had the MEE CC51s for a bit just to try out, which have wide nozzles and they were almost impossible to wear for more than an hour at a time. Surprisingly though, the Triple.Fis fit perfectly with Sony hybrids. I love the fit of the hybrids and the Klipsch biflanges, so that's definitely a consideration. The Shures actually do sound fantastic, since having a bit less bass probably wouldn't bother me all that much. The SE535 is quite expensive though.

 

I actually like both of the IEMs I currently have quite a bit, the Miles Davis Tributes and the TF10s, but I'm having more problems with the fit/other issues more than anything else. Both pretty neutral for the midrange and have huge bass quantity (the Tributes probably a bit too much so). I'm hoping to maybe sell them both off so that I can fund one IEM for most things (considering I really only listen to rock, that isn't too difficult). My shortlist now includes the SE530, UM3X, the two Ortofon models, the FAD Heaven (which is way less expensive than I expected, knowing the prices of some of FADs stuff), and the RE262. I'll probably have to do some more research...

post #134 of 202
Thread Starter 

Well the EQ-5 take Hybrids so you should be fine, they are not intended to have a super deep insertion.

 

Yes the 535 is very expensive and is why it is hard to recommend. I picked up my 53o (have not tried the 535) very cheaply but have had to move it on as i found it really hurt my ears for some reason with all tips. I loved the sound as well. There is also the SE (red version) which has supposedly better, more extended treble! When i say less bass i mean LESS and also they roll of a lot quicker, no rumble at all.

 

I have not tried the MMDTs so can not comment there and if fit is a problem then, i may still have to right of the Ortofons for you as they are large but i think you should be fine if the TF10 do not trouble you. Well if you was to sell them both off i will recommend spending the earnings on the Sony MDR-EX1000 (I have yet to upload it on my chart even though i have owned for months, i only say this as it is my favourite IEM). It is my best IEM and its completely neutral and balanced although lacks a bit of energy in the mids. Still it is a league of its own. Actually the FAD and EQ-5 although technically inferior cane be as or more enjoyable at times. All work great with rock!

 

I think that is a great shortlist to work off and i do recommend checking out my full reviews (on first post) and some other peoples to help you make a decision.

post #135 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimsonny View Post

Well the EQ-5 take Hybrids so you should be fine, they are not intended to have a super deep insertion.

 

Yes the 535 is very expensive and is why it is hard to recommend. I picked up my 53o (have not tried the 535) very cheaply but have had to move it on as i found it really hurt my ears for some reason with all tips. I loved the sound as well. There is also the SE (red version) which has supposedly better, more extended treble! When i say less bass i mean LESS and also they roll of a lot quicker, no rumble at all.

 

I have not tried the MMDTs so can not comment there and if fit is a problem then, i may still have to right of the Ortofons for you as they are large but i think you should be fine if the TF10 do not trouble you. Well if you was to sell them both off i will recommend spending the earnings on the Sony MDR-EX1000 (I have yet to upload it on my chart even though i have owned for months, i only say this as it is my favourite IEM). It is my best IEM and its completely neutral and balanced although lacks a bit of energy in the mids. Still it is a league of its own. Actually the FAD and EQ-5 although technically inferior cane be as or more enjoyable at times. All work great with rock!

 

I think that is a great shortlist to work off and i do recommend checking out my full reviews (on first post) and some other peoples to help you make a decision.

 

Yeah, my ears must be a bit weird, since the Triple.Fis have actually be pretty much the best fit I've ever had (the Klipsch S4s are still better). The design of the Ortofons seems similar in design to the Tributes, which gives me pause. I'm looking up the RE262 right now, see if that might be what I'm looking for. Liking the price too, although they look really strangely shaped.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › My IEM Round-Up (64 Earphones Compared with a LOT MORE Coming)