or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Beyerdynamic T90 Discussion and Support Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Beyerdynamic T90 Discussion and Support Thread - Page 140

post #2086 of 4034

The T90's moved from 64 to 49 in the product review....keep it up!!

 

A.

post #2087 of 4034
Come on ! More people to write review on them ! Get it up to top 20 and i'll give away pOtAtOe's signature AWP Sniper rifle !
post #2088 of 4034

Hi!

 

I have a new observation. 

 

If you want full-bodied sound with plenty of bass and don't spend a lot of money - the Bravo Ocean is a surprisingly good match for the T90. I couldn't believe it, when I A/B-ed it my Bottlehead Crack (+Speedball). It's so close - with this headphone and the tubes I had installed at that time ( GE6080, Tung Sol 12BH7A Black plate Top Fat) - so you loose a bit of soundstage but with pop and EDM it was a pleasure to listen to the Bravo Ocean.

 

So my tip: If you want pleasing sound with a slightly limited soundstage but great, punchy, defined bass and overall a sound where you don't want to stop listening to your music then go for:

 

- if you are on a budget: Baravo Ocean

- if you want to spend more (time or money): Bottlehead Crack (Speedball)

 

Still amazed that this little gem sounds so good.

 

cheers,

K

post #2089 of 4034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolpep View Post

Hi!

I have a new observation. 

If you want full-bodied sound with plenty of bass and don't spend a lot of money - the Bravo Ocean is a surprisingly good match for the T90. I couldn't believe it, when I A/B-ed it my Bottlehead Crack (+Speedball). It's so close - with this headphone and the tubes I had installed at that time ( GE6080, Tung Sol 12BH7A Black plate Top Fat) - so you loose a bit of soundstage but with pop and EDM it was a pleasure to listen to the Bravo Ocean.

So my tip: If you want pleasing sound with a slightly limited soundstage but great, punchy, defined bass and overall a sound where you don't want to stop listening to your music then go for:

- if you are on a budget: Baravo Ocean
- if you want to spend more (time or money): Bottlehead Crack (Speedball)

Still amazed that this little gem sounds so good.

cheers,
K

I havent try pairing it with bottlehead , but i paired it with bravo ocean before and it was so coloured , the details & treble got stripped out ,and there is a sense of "choking" in the soundstage , it's like it is being limited or something . It was quite a weird experience for me on the bravo .i guess i am more of a Solid-State person :# since i know music is based alot on preference . Others could give it a try to , you may like it. smily_headphones1.gif
post #2090 of 4034
Quote:
Originally Posted by potatoe94 View Post


I haven't try pairing it with bottlehead , but i paired it with bravo ocean before and it was so coloured , the details & treble got stripped out ,and there is a sense of "choking" in the soundstage , it's like it is being limited or something . It was quite a weird experience for me on the bravo .i guess i am more of a Solid-State person :# since i know music is based alot on preference . Others could give it a try to , you may like it. smily_headphones1.gif

Did you try it with stock tubes ? Although I have never tried Bravo, my experience is that stock chinese tubes which come with most tube amps (including expensive amps by Woo) really limit the sound / choke the sound of the amp.

 

Koolpep, which 12AU7 did you try the Bravo with, I bet it wasn't the stock ?


Edited by punit - 6/3/14 at 11:39pm
post #2091 of 4034
Quote:
Originally Posted by potatoe94 View Post


I havent try pairing it with bottlehead , but i paired it with bravo ocean before and it was so coloured , the details & treble got stripped out ,and there is a sense of "choking" in the soundstage , it's like it is being limited or something . It was quite a weird experience for me on the bravo .i guess i am more of a Solid-State person :# since i know music is based alot on preference . Others could give it a try to , you may like it. smily_headphones1.gif

 

Before I got the T90 I wasn't a great fan of tubes either. Thankfully I can play around with a few amps and headphones currently. So for some low impedance headphones, the Audioengine D3 is just perfect. Then some Senns just sing with an Schiit Asgard or the Nuforce icon HDP, some like the Valhalla and a lot actually sound amazing on the Crack.

 

Just listening to my newest acquisition the DT770 LE with the Ocean, the highs are clear and clean, bass is slightly fat, surprisingly soundstage not limited. My Depeche Mode flacs sound superb and spacious....

 

But it might also depend a lot on the quality of the tube in the Ocean. I will roll tubes a bit to find out more.

 

Cheers,

K

post #2092 of 4034
Quote:
Originally Posted by punit View Post
 

Did you try it with stock tubes ? Although I have never tried Bravo, my experience is that stock chinese tubes which come with most tube amps (including expensive amps by Woo) really limit the sound / choke the sound of the amp.

 

Koolpep, which 12AU7 did you try the Bravo with, I bet it wasn't the stock ?


Yea I agree which why i quickly changed out the stock chinese tubes to the ones that in my sig. The Power tubes are next.

post #2093 of 4034
Quote:
Originally Posted by punit View Post
 

Did you try it with stock tubes ? Although I have never tried Bravo, my experience is that stock chinese tubes which come with most tube amps (including expensive amps by Woo) really limit the sound / choke the sound of the amp.

 

Koolpep, which 12AU7 did you try the Bravo with, I bet it wasn't the stock ?


The Bravo is currently running the stock tube (hence my big surprise). The problem with the chinese tubes are that the quality control is generally very poor. So the difference/variation between the same tube can be enormous.

 

I think I was just lucky to get a chinese tube that actually sound decent (or even great) - however, proof is in the pudding so I will switch a few soon :)

 

Cheers,

K

post #2094 of 4034

Ok guys, I literally just signed up for this question and I know this isn't really the proper channel to go through for advice, but you guys seem to know your Beyerdynamic T90 thang :wink_face:.

 

I live in South Africa, aka the land of the overpriced electronics (look on a map, we are literally the furthest country from anything tech related), but the strangest thing has started to happen: all shops are showing the T90 for R3300 or roughly $300. Now I'm not a fool and I realise that this is a steal for some incredible headphones, however I won't be able to run it from an amp. All amps here are either sooo overpriced for the value of them or cannot be found at all .... and also I'm a student. I was originally planning on somehow importing the NAD Viso HP50 and calling it a day (anyone have any advice on where to import internationally) but with this price and a local warranty for the T90 its very tempting. So this leads me to the question at hand: HOW DOES IT SOUND UN-AMPED? If its thin and weedy then I know its not worth it, however if its comparable to the NAD or KEF M500 (which I can import for a fair price) then I'm in.

 

Thanks all, and if the holy smite of the admins comes down on my head I'll start a new thread :darthsmile:

 

PS. These will be my first high quality headphones, as I've fallen in love with music again (Only thing keeping me sane in Mechatronic Engineering)


Edited by biggysmalls - 6/4/14 at 12:46am
post #2095 of 4034
What do you plan on running the T90 with if you decide to go for them? I can say the T90 is very clearly a big step up from the Hp50. Theyre signatures are also very different however.

It will depend on what mp3 player or what not you use with it. Theyre not terribly hard to drivr but theyre not easy either.
post #2096 of 4034

Thanks Cotnijoe for the reply,

 

I'm going to either have them plugged into my LG G2 or directly into the headphones port on my Logitech X-530. I know this is 100% not the most ideal set up, hence the question whether NAD HP50 directly from the LG G2 for instance would sound better :) Thanks again for the help.

 

Note on the LG G2: It is unique in that it can play FLAC files. Just FYI :)

post #2097 of 4034
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggysmalls View Post
 

Ok guys, I literally just signed up for this question and I know this isn't really the proper channel to go through for advice, but you guys seem to know your Beyerdynamic T90 thang :wink_face:.

 

I live in South Africa, aka the land of the overpriced electronics (look on a map, we are literally the furthest country from anything tech related), but the strangest thing has started to happen: all shops are showing the T90 for R3300 or roughly $300. Now I'm not a fool and I realise that this is a steal for some incredible headphones, however I won't be able to run it from an amp. All amps here are either sooo overpriced for the value of them or cannot be found at all .... and also I'm a student. I was originally planning on somehow importing the NAD Viso HP50 and calling it a day (anyone have any advice on where to import internationally) but with this price and a local warranty for the T90 its very tempting. So this leads me to the question at hand: HOW DOES IT SOUND UN-AMPED? If its thin and weedy then I know its not worth it, however if its comparable to the NAD or KEF M500 (which I can import for a fair price) then I'm in.

 

Thanks all, and if the holy smite of the admins comes down on my head I'll start a new thread :darthsmile:

 

PS. These will be my first high quality headphones, as I've fallen in love with music again (Only thing keeping me sane in Mechatronic Engineering)


Hey dude, 
Well T90 unamped can play very thin and have tiring treble. its not woth to spend so much money if you cant amp it well (also searching for an amp is a bit tiring thing, localy i cant find much different specs ams too, only way to buy one thats has the status here, like crack etc.)

Ipad = on ipad only it plays thin, theres no that bouncy fat bass and body, only detail is very good.. 

Pc only = sounds much worse, theres less soundstage and imaging, overal  quality is v.bad. Feels constrained.

Pc + simple amp = a bit body and more bass. But im not enjoying it. Also i tried it with mbox2 mini - soundstage became a bit deeper L/R, but overal, it didnt changed much.

ipad  (+enchanced music setting 50%)  + simple amp = much better bass, imaging and body.. Its the best setup i had yet :) Bass is nice, but imaging and soundstage, treble - i think it could sound better :) Strange thing that only that enchance in ipad gave that different sound, that more delicious bass, pc EQ and amp bass/treble EQ didint helped. So from here im enjoying music again :) 


Edited by Emilijus - 6/4/14 at 6:27am
post #2098 of 4034

Hey guys, just finished building a Crack.  I did all the tests twice (resistance, voltage, and headphone voltage @ startup), and all checked out.  When I plugged in my T90s for the first time, I heard a very loud audible "pop", and now my T90s have virtually no bass and are 1/3 as loud as they used to be. 

 

I plugged them into my old amp (Fiio E09K), and it sounded the exact same (tinny and 1/3 the volume).  Also, I know it's not my other equipment because I plugged in other headphones into my system using the E09K and it sounds perfect.  Are my T90s ruined forever? :(

post #2099 of 4034

That's what we call damage via DC voltage.  :o

 

Always check the amp's output DC offset as it starts up and warms up.

 

Alternatively, some guys use a cheap pair of earbuds or in-ears for such testing.

post #2100 of 4034

Yeah, hindsight is 20/20.  Thankfully, my headphones are seeming to recover slowly.  I'm now using a cheap pair of heaphones for testing.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Beyerdynamic T90 Discussion and Support Thread