...one clarification to my post above, the HD600 was selected as I understand it is relatively neutral (so that I have a point of reference), while the T90 and HE-400 were selected for having a slightly fun sound signature, with T90 overall balance slightly toward the upper end, and the HE-400 overall balance in the lower end of the frequencies.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productbeyerdynamic DT 880 Premium Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productbeyerdynamic DT 990 Pro Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productBeyerdynamic T 70 Over Ear Headphone, Black/Greytagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productBeyerdynamic T70ptagged by System, 5/23/12
- productBeyerdynamic T90 Premium Stereo Headphonetagged by rasmushorn, 5/4/13
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 5/23/12
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 5/23/12
Related Forum Threads
- Please Help me choose a headphone from this website.... AH-D7000, HD650, DT880, DT990, T70 Last post on 10/20/11 at 8:18pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Beyerdynamic T70 & T70p: Any Impressions? Last post on 7/15/11 at 4:31am in Headphones (full-size)
- First Impressions of the new Beyerdynamic T70p Last post on 7/24/14 at 8:54am in Headphones (full-size)
- [GUIDE] Sonic Differences Between DT770-DT990 Models & More Last post on 4/3/15 at 11:40pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Beyerdynamic Decisions..... Last post on 8/12/12 at 1:11pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Beyerdynamic T90 :D - Page 102post #1516 of 29891/24/14 at 10:37am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #1517 of 29891/24/14 at 10:38amQuote:Originally Posted by BlakeT
First, thanks to all the contributors to this thread. I am just jumping into the headphone game (but have been a long time audio enthusiast with a pretty good speaker setup). After reading every post I could find I decided to purchase 3 headphones at the same time, then listen to all of them over a month or so, keep the one I like and then sell the other two.
Since I get my audiophile sound fix (i.e. neutral) from my speaker setup, I think I may be more interested in a slightly fun sound signature from my headphones to mix it up.
Therefore, I bought the HD600, HE-400 and the T90. The HD600 and HE-400 have now been through the burn-in process and the T-90's will have about 100 hours burn-in on them after today, then the 3-way shoot out begins.
Just based upon early listening sessions, I am currently leaning toward keeping the T90 or HE-400, but we shall see.
We couldn't be much more similar with our headphone inventory :-)! Having tried all three, I just sold my HD650 yesterday. Waiting for my Philips X1 to arrive today, but so far T90 is my most fav of them all....post #1518 of 29891/24/14 at 10:48amQuote:
Be sure to let us know your thoughts comparing the T90 to the X1.post #1519 of 29891/24/14 at 12:16pmQuote:Originally Posted by MrEleventy
Sonido has both and AB'd them at one time. Link : Here
like I said,i read that. thank you though.
the problem I have with his review,is that it seems to me he just opened the box,started listening and evaluating. bad form. you can see his opinions changing over time,..plus,iirc,his now moved on to "bigger and better things" so I don't know how much time transpired. the one thing of value that I did pick up from him is that the T90 seems to scale better,which makes sense to me considering the nature of beyer's tesla tech and specs.post #1520 of 29891/24/14 at 12:30pmpost #1521 of 29891/24/14 at 12:33pm
something that isn't mentioned much here. when discussing the tesla tech,most just mention that it's about efficiency in regards to amplification. I think it's much more than that.
...because the magnetic field is so powerful and can exert so much control over the diaphragm,they are also able to make the diaphragm material thinner and lighter. this means that it's able to stop and move much quicker than normal and that contributes to it's sonic performance.
on the whole,i would say the beyer tesla driver is much more sophisticated than the HD700(specifically) driver but the senn housing is much more sophisticated with probably much more R&D and T&E. however,neither one of those can tell you which you would prefer sonically.
just a thought.
also,looking at the FR graph. the T90 at 20HZ is only about 3 dB and at 30Hz 2 dB from the upper bass. that's very impressive for a dynamic driver and very similar to the linear bass that planar magnetics can achieve all the way to the lows.
Edited by priler - 1/24/14 at 12:45pmpost #1522 of 29891/24/14 at 1:19pmpost #1523 of 29891/24/14 at 1:43pmpost #1524 of 29891/24/14 at 1:51pmpost #1525 of 29891/24/14 at 2:02pm
just a note. I received the t90s about a week ago. I can only say that their sound signature has changed radically over the first 100 hours of usage and burn in. Burn in may be a figment of the imagination or user adaptation but i gotta say that this phone went from unbearably bright to the best phone i own so far>including grado r1, akg 701s and hd 600s which is my favorite phone up till now.post #1526 of 29891/24/14 at 3:43pmQuote:Just sold my T90 this week. It had about 150 hours burn in. I was using it daily at work at one point. Definitely a brain burn in headphone. I listened to it right before I sold it and coming from HD800 and HE-500, the T90 was very bright even through Crack. Another characteristic of the T90 is a smaller than average soundstage compared to open back headphones. This is not necessarily bad, as it can give a more intimate sound good for rock music. I tried it with Quickie in chain and it helped immensely on the soundstaging. Still it had a bright and sibilant sound I remember hearing at beginning but going away with burn in, but now I see it was mostly brain burn in. EQing like others have said will help until you're used to it.Originally Posted by priler
like I said,i read that. thank you though.
the problem I have with his review,is that it seems to me he just opened the box,started listening and evaluating. bad form. you can see his opinions changing over time,..plus,iirc,his now moved on to "bigger and better things" so I don't know how much time transpired. the one thing of value that I did pick up from him is that the T90 seems to scale better,which makes sense to me considering the nature of beyer's tesla tech and specs.
The HD700 I sold a while back but I remember it to have an overall agreeable signature. The biggest flaw I remember is that it was noticeably grainy and lacked the refinement when A/Bing with T90 and HE-500. Even the KEF M500 doesn't seem to have this problem, though I never A/Bed it with the HD700. I think this is due to the drop in the upper mids at 2-3kHz. Just compare the graphs of the headphones I own/owned: HD700, T90, HE-500, and HD800. Only the HD700 has this drop and to me only it has this problem. I also have the UE900 and it has the same problem of graininess and lacking of refinement, and people have attributed this to the well known drop in the upper mids of the UE900. Ultimately, this is probably subjective if you find it grainy, and likely depends on what other headphones you're used to. Besides that, the HD700 has one of the better sound signatures I've heard. The T90? Well maybe after some brain burn in. Definitely not an agreeable signature without EQing or right of the bat.
Edited by Sonido - 1/24/14 at 3:45pmpost #1527 of 29891/24/14 at 4:21pmpost #1528 of 29891/24/14 at 4:47pm
I haven't listened much in the past few weeks, but I slapped on my open backed T90's this am connected to my flacs via and ODAC and O2 amp....I was once again floored on how GREAT these cans are.
Absolutely wonderful.....to me fantastic articulation of all types of music....its brutal with lousy recordings.....garbage in garbage out.
I put on my 1350's as well and was immediately struck on how small they sound in comparison and this reminded me on why I got the T90s in the first place.
I sold my LCD2's for these and am still very, very pleases at the T90s overall performance.
I would buy these again....I cant say that for any other headphone I have owned.
With well recorded and mastered music the experience is magical to me.....
A.post #1529 of 29891/24/14 at 5:00pm
your input is much appreciated Sonido(that's Spanish for sound ;)).
I don't want to ask too much but would you say the vocals on the T90 are very forward and pronounced,when say,watching a movie?
the HD700 certainly has a good dip at 2-3kHz. come to think of it,that's like a description one would give to a "fun" HP with a V shaped signature. it's more dip than the other senns though.post #1530 of 29891/24/14 at 6:00pm
Intresting that you say the sound stage is small sonido.
I came from HD650, Alessandro Ms-pro and HE-500 and the T90 wipes the floor with them in terms of sound stage,
I think this headphone is very set up dependent.
- Beyerdynamic T90 :D
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Havi b3 pro 1 thread 2.0 9 seconds ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 10 seconds ago
- › NEW Schiit Lyr 2: Impressions 11 seconds ago
- › Aune B1 Headphone AMP worldwide review tour --Reviewers Wanted! 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › portable on-ear headphones under 80$ 2 minutes ago
- › CE6P - Cosmic Ears--- CIEMs 3 minutes ago
- › Lotoo PAW 5000: Shipping in May 3 minutes ago
- › Chord Electronics 2Qute DAC announced 3 minutes ago
- › Just got a Grado GS1000i but with red drivers 3 minutes ago
- › SanDisk Sansa Clip+ 8 GB MP3 Player (Black) by ardacer
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by sagar khichi
- › RHA MA750i by Onthecoast
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by YoYo JoKeR
- › Brainwavz BLU-100 Bluetooth IEMs by JoeDoe
- › Edifier Hi-Fi Stereo Headphone (H180 Black) by sharonbava
- › Ultimate Ears 200vi Noise-Isolating Headset, Blue by dkshifat
- › T-Peos Altone 150 in-ear monitor with detachable cables, mic and... by Hisoundfi
- › Beyerdynamic EDT 250 Velour Padded Earcushions for DT250, DT280,... by Trevayne10
- › Xiaomi Pistion III Youth Edition by julian67
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2