Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › ASUS ROG Xonar Phoebus - Dolby Headphone replaced with Dolby Home Theater V4
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

ASUS ROG Xonar Phoebus - Dolby Headphone replaced with Dolby Home Theater V4 - Page 2

post #16 of 65

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roller View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post
Asus is coming out with GX 3.0 with the new Phoebus card, maybe it has something to do with Win 8.

It's funny that Asus keeps increasing version numbers of their GX feature, when the only thing that changes is app compatibility. Marketing gimmicks /rolleyes

I would assume that Microsoft is bring back HAL in Win 8 for more then just Creative EAX.

I believe xBox's OS does not have HAL, Maybe Microsoft is going to use a new version of EAX in future xBox systems.

Something to help compete with PS3s in gaming audio?

I would assume the future xBoxs would use a striped down version of Win 8

 

 

 

 

 

post #17 of 65

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post

 

I would assume that Microsoft is bring back HAL in Win 8 for more then just Creative EAX.

I believe xBox's OS does not have HAL, Maybe Microsoft is going to use a new version of EAX in future xBox systems.

Something to help compete with PS3s in gaming audio?

I would assume the future xBoxs would use a striped down version of Win 8

 

 

HAL won't just benefit EAX support (on all hardware up to version 2 and on Creative hardware up to version 5) but also all DirectSound3D supported software.

 

No console can use EAX due to lack of software platform support. But Windows 8 can be a good platform for the next Microsoft console, considering there is a rather significant device unifying effort from Microsoft.

 

If more strict audio driver guidelines are enforced, everyone will benefit from it due to the overall system stability being basically unaffected, unlike what happened on legacy XP.

post #18 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by stv014 View Post

 

The PCM1796 is not bad either. But apparently the headphone amplifier is still the same as on the ST/STX, and with worse SNR (110 dB is not great if it is referenced to the full scale 7 Vrms output, and the volume control is digital, although these details are not included in the specifications).

What is wrong with ST/STX's headphone amplifier? 

post #19 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider22 View Post

What is wrong with ST/STX's headphone amplifier? 

I'm guessing it's falling short of being perfect.

post #20 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post

I'm guessing it's falling short of being perfect.

 

Is that a joke? The strong point of the Essence ST/STX is the DAC section, and quite capable at that. The amp section is basically a dryer FiiO E9 amp, which seems to be crippled on the new Asus card. But then again, I don't find it so much to be Asus fault, but rather recent cards released from several manufacturers to have corners cut to lower production costs, even if they won't necessarily lower selling prices.

post #21 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roller View Post
But then again, I don't find it so much to be Asus fault, but rather recent cards released from several manufacturers to have corners cut to lower production costs, even if they won't necessarily lower selling prices.

 

The two 4556s and the gain stage op amp in the O2 are actually cheaper combined than the TPA6120A2.

post #22 of 65

I'm confused. TI's site says that the TTPA6120A2 has "greater than 120dB of dynamic range". The spec sheet on the STX matches that of the TI spec sheet. So how could the Phoebus be different? Is there something more at work than the TPA6120A2.


 

Quote:
The two 4556s and the gain stage op amp in the O2 are actually cheaper combined than the TPA6120A2.

Even so... 


What's is wrong with the amp? Are there any major flaws with the amp? are there any coloration to the sound (assuming that dolby home theater doesn't mess it up in processing)

What's even more confusing to me is Dolby Home Theater v4. What is it? Is it just a consolidation of various dolby technologies. ie: Dolby digital live, prologic, virtual speakers, headphone all rolled up in one? OR is it a completely different monster with a completely different set of technologies built just for PC. Is Home Theater v4's version of Dolby Headphone inferior? 



In the end is this a decent combination of dac, amp and surround sound technology that you would recommend to a friend or love ones?

Edited by spider22 - 5/4/12 at 3:54pm
post #23 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider22 View Post
I'm confused. TI's site says that the TTPA6120A2 has "greater than 120dB of dynamic range". The spec sheet on the STX matches that of the TI spec sheet. So how could the Phoebus be different? Is there something more at work than the TPA6120A2.
Even so... 
What's is wrong with the amp? Are there any major flaws with the amp? are there any coloration to the sound (assuming that dolby home theater doesn't mess it up in processing)

What's even more confusing to me is Dolby Home Theater v4. What is it? Is it just a consolidation of various dolby technologies. ie: Dolby digital live, prologic, virtual speakers, headphone all rolled up in one? OR is it a completely different monster with a completely different set of technologies built just for PC. Is Home Theater v4's version of Dolby Headphone inferior? 

In the end is this a decent combination of dac, amp and surround sound technology that you would recommend to a friend or love ones?

Asus may make claims on the Phoebus spec's to make it sound slightly less audio quality of a sound card then the STX/ST, so music lovers will buy the STX/ST and gamers will buy the Phoebus.

Or Asus maybe trying to save a few cents by cutting corners on the Phoebus, I'm guessing gamers will be less picky on the sound quality the music lovers.

I'm guessing Dolby Home Theater V4 is just the latest update on Dolby Digital, calling it V4 might be just a way of making sound like more of an improvement then it really is.

Wait for lots of reviews on the Phoebus to come out, see what they say.


Edited by PurpleAngel - 5/7/12 at 12:37pm
post #24 of 65

first review:

http://soundnews.ro/2012/04/28/asus-xonar-phoebus-review/  EDIT. Pulled out biggrin.gif

 

another one: 

http://www.pcaxe.com/hardver/audio-video-karte/asus-rog-phoebus-zvucna-karta

 

Unified driver with dolby v4 would be awesome atsmile.gif

 


Edited by Migi06 - 5/8/12 at 6:05am
post #25 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by spider22 View Post

 

What's is wrong with the amp? Are there any major flaws with the amp? are there any coloration to the sound (assuming that dolby home theater doesn't mess it up in processing)

 

Well, the amplifier on the STX is not bad, but it could be better for similar price, mainly with low impedance headphones (which are well over 90% of the models currently on the market). It has high output impedance that can color the sound with low impedance loads and increase bass distortion, high noise in many machines (although this is mainly the result of the fully digital volume and gain control), and relatively high distortion with low impedance headphones, especially in the bass range at high output levels. All of these issues outweigh DAC differences, so a much cheaper Xonar D1 with a decent amplifier (e.g. O2) can outperform the STX with <150-200 Ohm headphones.


Edited by stv014 - 5/5/12 at 12:54am
post #26 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by stv014 View Post

 

Well, the amplifier on the STX is not bad, but it could be better for similar price, mainly with low impedance headphones (which are well over 90% of the models currently on the market). It has high output impedance that can color the sound with low impedance loads and increase bass distortion, high noise in many machines (although this is mainly the result of the fully digital volume and gain control), and relatively high distortion with low impedance headphones, especially in the bass range at high output levels. All of these issues outweigh DAC differences, so a much cheaper Xonar D1 with a decent amplifier (e.g. O2) can outperform the STX with <150-200 Ohm headphones.

Sniff sniff its true :'(

 

Although my franken-impedance decreasing circuit is working nicely. 

post #27 of 65

Total audio newb here, would you guys consider this an upgrade from my current X-Fi Fatality Pro + fiio E9? Or would you recommend something else?  I'm using HD595's right now.  

post #28 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulj4h View Post

Total audio newb here, would you guys consider this an upgrade from my current X-Fi Fatality Pro + Fiio E9? Or would you recommend something else?  I'm using HD595's right now.  

I would say sell off the Fatality Pro & E9 and just get the Titanium HD.

I'm assuming your a gamer.

post #29 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post

I would say sell off the Fatality Pro & E9 and just get the Titanium HD.

I'm assuming your a gamer.

I'm probably about 55% gamer, 45% music.  I was hoping to stay away from creative products due to personal bad experiences.. would I be better going with this card or getting a USB DAC for my E9?

post #30 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulj4h View Post

I'm probably about 55% gamer, 45% music.  I was hoping to stay away from creative products due to personal bad experiences.. would I be better going with this card or getting a USB DAC for my E9?

Asus just came out with the Phoebus "gaming card". it seems to be like the Xonar STX & ST but more geared for gamers.

Or just get the Xonar STX.

 

Getting a USB DAC (like the DAC Destroyer) to go with the E9 is fine, but DAC do not come with any surround sound and gaming support.

 

The Xonar STX, ST & Phoebus come with about the same headphone amplifier as the Fiio E9.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › ASUS ROG Xonar Phoebus - Dolby Headphone replaced with Dolby Home Theater V4