Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The ATH-CKM500..The best CKM earphone yet.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The ATH-CKM500..The best CKM earphone yet. - Page 31

post #451 of 1907

That's the way its always been in Europe. All those government funded freebies aren't really free. Buy your IEM's and proudly pay your Value Added Tax! biggrin.gif

post #452 of 1907

Then I guess I'd better buy them from cdjapan, and get the regular airmail shipping, which is only 55-56 euros in total (+ custom fees which may even amount up to 40 euros...) biggrin.gif

post #453 of 1907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cya|\| View Post

Then I guess I'd better buy them from cdjapan, and get the regular airmail shipping, which is only 55-56 euros in total (+ custom fees which may even amount up to 40 euros...) biggrin.gif

Not sure where about's in the EU you are (I'm in the UK), but luckily for moi, the last few EMS shipments have not had any dealings with her majesty's customs officials...(shhh!). Mine are on route from cdjapan, so should have here by end of week.

post #454 of 1907
Quote:
Originally Posted by TemplarUK View Post

Not sure where about's in the EU you are (I'm in the UK), but luckily for moi, the last few EMS shipments have not had any dealings with her majesty's customs officials...(shhh!). Mine are on route from cdjapan, so should have here by end of week.

 

Did you get shipping notice?  What color did you order?  

post #455 of 1907

I ordered a red one at least 4or 5 days ago, and I still don't have a shipping notice. However, the status on the site says "In shipping process."

post #456 of 1907

Would anyone else who own the GR07 like to compare? I ordered different tips for the CKM500, so I'll update again when they arrive. They are pretty different sounding headphones and I don't think mine are defective. The bass on the GR07 really gets out of the way so I can enjoy the music better. The bass on the CKM500, while punchy for some genres, pulls me out of others where it's boosted. It's one of the reasons why I love the GR07 so much - it is all-around flawless and never pulls me out of the music due to peaks or recessions in their balance. I noticed too the GR07 has a blacker background so softer dynamics come through better. The degree of natural timbre and tonality of instruments is simply in another league with the GR07

post #457 of 1907
Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post

I ordered a red one at least 4or 5 days ago, and I still don't have a shipping notice. However, the status on the site says "In shipping process."

 

Hope you get them soon. I ordered a day or so after you from an eBay seller in Japan and the pair is already in a main distribution postal service two towns over from mine. They should be in the mailbox Tuesday / Wednesday at the latest.

 

btw, I still never got the email from CDJapan, despite directly emailing them about the misstep in their automatic responder system.


Edited by FieldingMellish - 5/27/12 at 12:29pm
post #458 of 1907

Is CKM500 considered to be the next level of earphones after GR07? If the sound is not much of a difference i would like to pass it.

post #459 of 1907
Quote:
Originally Posted by holyindian View Post

Is CKM500 considered to be the next level of earphones after GR07? If the sound is not much of a difference i would like to pass it.

I think these are better than the Sleek Audio SA6 and they cost 2-3 times as much. These have the same bass and mid range qualities and quantities but with better top end, and better micro detail, and are also far more efficient.

Ive never heard the GR07. These CKM500's are kind of like HD650's with slightly less warmth and better top end.


Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk.
Edited by jasonb - 5/27/12 at 5:01pm
post #460 of 1907
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrett View Post

Would anyone else who own the GR07 like to compare? I ordered different tips for the CKM500, so I'll update again when they arrive. They are pretty different sounding headphones and I don't think mine are defective. The bass on the GR07 really gets out of the way so I can enjoy the music better. The bass on the CKM500, while punchy for some genres, pulls me out of others where it's boosted. It's one of the reasons why I love the GR07 so much - it is all-around flawless and never pulls me out of the music due to peaks or recessions in their balance. I noticed too the GR07 has a blacker background so softer dynamics come through better. The degree of natural timbre and tonality of instruments is simply in another league with the GR07

 

I think it comes down to more sound preference than anything there jarrett. Which I can understand..I think you like a less colored sound is what it seems to me..We all have our preferred sound so I can understand how you might not like these as much. 

 

I noticed there are 2 types of guys around here. The guys that just like one sound and will not bend for even a more lush and fully rounded one. And the guys that can recognize greatness just by hearing them. To me I don't care if the sound is  analytical or musical or something in between. If it sounds right for the particular sound signature and does your music justice, I am all about it because there are simply way too many tasty dishes that exist for this hobby of ours.

post #461 of 1907

I must make them sound bad, but they are likely my next favourite thing LOL tongue_smile.gif They must be the most neutral thing I own now with the best soundstage. I actually wouldn't want something too similar to the GR07 at all because I already own those.

 

The ECCI PR401 are quite lovely IMO, but they have a notch of recessed mids somewhere and an almost monaural presentation at times, kind of strange. The Xears XE200Pro are pleasant as well; a slightly dark, natural, full weighty sound. Found it to be excellent for the Beethoven String Quartets I was listening to at the time. Xears has lost a lot of respect on these boards it seems and I did use the coupon code at the time. Oh well.


Edited by jarrett - 5/28/12 at 10:24pm
post #462 of 1907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaxilus View Post

 

Did you get shipping notice?  What color did you order?  

I have a shipping notice with the EMS number, they don't hold the sold directly and takes a few days to get in, which is not an issue if I save myself some money. For me EMS deliveries from Asia (mostly China and Hong Kong) has been between 3 days to almost 2 working weeks (that was due to public holiday's, etc).

post #463 of 1907

I just got my tracking number. Let's see how long it really takes for EMS to deliver here.

post #464 of 1907
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp10 View Post

So I just completed a quick A/B session with the CKM500 and the JVC FXT90.

- Clearly deeper and fuller bass in the CKM500.
- Notes are thicker in the CKM500 with more micro-details. Beautiful thickness on the guitar notes.
- Bass seems to be more separated with more air around it in the FXT90. This may be because of the the separate driver for the bass.
- More sparkle and air around the cymbals in the FXT90, but both have great extension.
- Mids are fuller and more lush in the CKM500.
- Vocals are more forward and detailed in the CKM500.
- FXT90 seems to have a bit of a wider soundstage, and the drums have a nice natural timbre leaning more toward the GR07.
- More refined sound in the CKM500.

So, I think the CKM500 wins over the FXT90, but the JVC is much closer to the AT in enjoyment than the GR07. Again, I still think the GR07 (and FXT90 are great earphones), i haven't heard a better IEM under $100 than the CKM500. Each earphone, however, has a little bit of something that it does better than the rest. Another great IEM coming out soon (June?) with great bass, mids and treble with be Audiofly's AF45. It will cost about $60. Good times for those of us in this hobby.

Funny that I found this post just after pming you and posting in the JVC FXT90 thread.

From the looks of this review, I think I might find love in the CKM500.

To reiterate my question to those who don't know: I currently have Miles Davis Tributes.

I have some problems with the MDTs, mainly in the flashiness, fragility, and microphonics. However, I love the sound.

So I've been looking for an IEM that has similar sound signature to the MDTs -- powerful, but not over done bass, lush/intimate mids/vocals.

I was directed here. Right now I'm heavily considering getting either these or the JVC FXT90s.

Does anyone who knows the MDTs have anything to say about these in comparison? Is that a similar sound signature? And is the sound quality of the CKM500 at the same level or higher than MDTs? I don't want to downgrade my sound quality.
post #465 of 1907

Screw it! Ordered 'em etysmile.gif.

Got 'em from cdjapan, not only are they cheaper, you can even pay with paypal, so you don't have to register to the site (hate registering in hundreds of websites with all my information).

I choose the air mail shipping. It is even faster than the SAL offered by the more expensive ebay vendor. But others are the reasons too:

1_sometimes I had to pay extra high custom fees with ems, when it arrived to the nearest airport to my town, because they charge you additional 10-15 euros to pay tnt or ups to ship it from the airport to your home.

2_some people said that SAL with the ebay seller was quite fast, so this should be fast enough.

3_7 euros less than Ems ksc75smile.gif

 

Nevertheless, when I'll receive them I'll give some first impression, and then when they're burned it I'll give my opinion based on my experience too. I'm used to very good sound, because I mostly listen to speaker system (which in most cases offer a better sound quality compared to headphones in general), but I also had the audeze lcd-2, and listened to the hd800 and other highends. In addition, I still have the full-size jvc-rx700, and can compare these iems to the rx900 too (both the rx700 and rx900 are similarly priced to the ckm500).
 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The ATH-CKM500..The best CKM earphone yet.