Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The ATH-CKM500..The best CKM earphone yet.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The ATH-CKM500..The best CKM earphone yet. - Page 69

post #1021 of 1897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysterious View Post

How fatiguing is the sound given out by these things ?
Will probably using these on my flight to the US :D

The pain of the tips is more fatiguing to my ears. Nevertheless, as I've already mentioned, I've eq'ed them to turn down a bit the low-highs.

post #1022 of 1897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysterious View Post

How fatiguing is the sound given out by these things ?
Will probably using these on my flight to the US :D

I use mine with my RoCoo-P with comply t-400's fitted and for me...I can literally wear for hours...no issues with any fatigue.

post #1023 of 1897

I need to get the digizoid zo for my equi-ing and amping needs.


EDIT :
Looks like another headphone has jumped into the frame.
How do the JVC FXT90 compare to these ?


Edited by Mysterious - 6/24/12 at 7:16am
post #1024 of 1897
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TemplarUK View Post

Now there was I just about to write a post...after now having the CKM 500's for a few weeks, and admittedly have been playing the living day lights out of them...these are by far the best headphones I have and tried for sound stage, instrument separation, etc. 

 

Then we have it confirmed Mr Dsnuts is a secret AT employee, dangling new forbidden fruits in front of us....the Cad!!!

 

So I can only be sorely tempted to buy these also....once available...any insight into details?

 

I have no idea what earphones these are. But considering they have the same basic housing design as the new CKM earphones. These could be a modified version of the upcoming CKM700. That particular unit is supposed to give out wireless surround.. From the looks of the highly vented design it looks like these earphones will have a monsterous amount of stage and depth.. I think an open vented design kinda makes sense for a new CKM earphone.. AT is influenced by what is happening in the audio world. And I can see them going for even a bigger wider stage over the CKM500.  Could we see an AT version of the Sennheiser open sound?  Whatever they come up with..I am sure it will be a very nice addition to the CKM earphone line. And I wouldn't be surprised if it does one better than their current flagship the overly expensive CKM1000 but will be very reasonable in price.

 

The next CKM earphone will be cheaper than what we all think. Here is why.. AT has some very stiff competition from of all manufacturers.  JVC.. I have been listening to JVCs newest and I have say I am very impressed with JVCs FXD80. These cost the same in Japan as the CKM500 and was priced as such to compete with AT..I can sense both companies going for the jugulars. Lol.  It is a classic case of showmanship from both companies. Who can produce the better sound for cheaper is what it seems to me.

 

AT brings out the CKS earphones and JVC has their XX line. AT brings out the new CKM earphones and JVC brings out the new FXD earphones. The next AT earphone should be more than exciting my friends. Keep tabs on this thread as anything related to the new AT earphones will be relayed as fast as possible..

post #1025 of 1897

That DWL3300 earphone may just be a Cresyn. I got the new Cresyn C510 and it happens to have a larger 14.3mm driver and open back now this comes along with a very similar design and looks like a Cresyn design with a different plug than other AT's. Cresyn makes some of the AT clip-ons and some of their other phones.

 

If so, it will be a good phone. I did remove the double dampeners from the front of my C510E to make them quicker, brighter, and lighter sounding but it has a great driver. Some of my other latest dynamic drivers have been the ASG-1, GR07, EX600(removed the foam), and CKS77. To me only the ASG-1 has a better performing driver but that is the only one I can A/B with at the moment. 

 

The AT has these specs...

Dynamic type
Driver φ14.5mm
Playback frequency band 5 ~ 25,000 Hz
Maximum input 100mW
Impedance 16Ω
Code (Type Y) 0.6m
Mass About 5.7g
post #1026 of 1897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysterious View Post

How fatiguing is the sound given out by these things ?
Will probably using these on my flight to the US :D

Z

After only a few hours of break in there is not a single bit of fatigue at normal listening volume. They show a lot of detail so if you listen loudly they may tire you a bit, but at low to moderate volume they are very resolving but stay clean and clear. They are not dark by any means, but they are not harsh either. They are very extended but very smooth.

Also, like i said earlier, i got some Meleec tips yesterday and I've used the "balanced sound" bi-flange tips for a few hours already, and i like these even more now. These really seem to like wide bore tips. These Meleec tips have a wider more open bore and its definitely helping the mids and highs show themselves even better. The extension up top, along with overall clarity seems to be even more improved, as well as gaining a tad more isolation and bigger soundstage as well. I thought these couldn't get any better but these tips improve the sound even further.

These are definitely my favorite things I've ever put in my ears. Actually, they sound better than any full size headphone I've ever tried too, thats compared to an HD650 and a TMA-1 which both cost more money.
post #1027 of 1897
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonb View Post


Z
After only a few hours of break in there is not a single bit of fatigue at normal listening volume. They show a lot of detail so if you listen loudly they may tire you a bit, but at low to moderate volume they are very resolving but stay clean and clear. They are not dark by any means, but they are not harsh either. They are very extended but very smooth.
Also, like i said earlier, i got some Meleec tips yesterday and I've used the "balanced sound" bi-flange tips for a few hours already, and i like these even more now. These really seem to like wide bore tips. These Meleec tips have a wider more open bore and its definitely helping the mids and highs show themselves even better. The extension up top, along with overall clarity seems to be even more improved, as well as gaining a tad more isolation and bigger soundstage as well. I thought these couldn't get any better but these tips improve the sound even further.
These are definitely my favorite things I've ever put in my ears. Actually, they sound better than any full size headphone I've ever tried too, thats compared to an HD650 and a TMA-1 which both cost more money.

 

jasonb,  +1 on the Meleec tips, I think they are the best non custom tips on the CKM500, bigger soundstage, mid and highs very good.....but the Aursonics Custom Silicone tips are really sick in comparison, a huge soundstage, instrament separation better, and bass, mids, and highs to die for.....I am listening to them on my home gears listed in my sig, and I have no desire to purchase another IEM, as I have had some of the best!  Maybe the CKM700, when dsnuts says they are better than the CKM500! 

post #1028 of 1897
Quote:
Originally Posted by cute View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonb View Post


Z
After only a few hours of break in there is not a single bit of fatigue at normal listening volume. They show a lot of detail so if you listen loudly they may tire you a bit, but at low to moderate volume they are very resolving but stay clean and clear. They are not dark by any means, but they are not harsh either. They are very extended but very smooth.
Also, like i said earlier, i got some Meleec tips yesterday and I've used the "balanced sound" bi-flange tips for a few hours already, and i like these even more now. These really seem to like wide bore tips. These Meleec tips have a wider more open bore and its definitely helping the mids and highs show themselves even better. The extension up top, along with overall clarity seems to be even more improved, as well as gaining a tad more isolation and bigger soundstage as well. I thought these couldn't get any better but these tips improve the sound even further.
These are definitely my favorite things I've ever put in my ears. Actually, they sound better than any full size headphone I've ever tried too, thats compared to an HD650 and a TMA-1 which both cost more money.

 

jasonb,  +1 on the Meleec tips, I think they are the best non custom tips on the CKM500, bigger soundstage, mid and highs very good.....but the Aursonics Custom Silicone tips are really sick in comparison, a huge soundstage, instrament separation better, and bass, mids, and highs to die for.....I am listening to them on my home gears listed in my sig, and I have no desire to purchase another IEM, as I have had some of the best!  Maybe the CKM700, when dsnuts says they are better than the CKM500! 


Which Meelec tips were you using? I bought a huge assortment, but the first and only ones ive tried so far are the "balanced sound" bi-flange tips.

These sound f'ing amazing and are comfy, but was just curious as to exactly which ones you tried.
post #1029 of 1897

Dsnuts, do the jvc fxd80 and ckm500 go neck to neck with each other? Or are they equals in terms of quality, but different SQ? I sure hope both companies aren't getting money problems so they can create more earphones! The mids are now starting to open up to me and I have to say that the instruments sound way different with the ckm500s than my whole collection of earphones and headphones. The a900x however does the best job for making creamy lush vocals that I so love...

post #1030 of 1897
Thread Starter 

While a higher number for AT don't necessarily mean better. There are forces at work here for AT that leads me to believe the new CKM700, when available will be something very special. My reasoning for this is. Now that we are hearing a much more refined AT house sound for one.  This sound you guys are hearing from AT in the CKM500 did not come from one or two generation of earphones..It is like they went back to the drawing board after the previous CKM earphones and decided to redo what was good and then add more refinement.

 

Then there is the JVC factor.. I guarantee AT execs in Japan right now are not too comfy with the release of the new JVC line.. Competition is a good thing for all of us. In the end we get some of the best product these Japanese companies have made in years.  

 

I didn't realize I had a pair of Meelec bi flange tips that came with my CC51. Listening to them now. You guys are right. These tips sound great with the CKM500. Good looking out fellas. TipSet2-BalancedSound-1.jpg

post #1031 of 1897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsnuts View Post

While a higher number for AT don't necessarily mean better. There are forces at work here for AT that leads me to believe the new CKM700, when available will be something very special. My reasoning for this is. Now that we are hearing a much more refined AT house sound for one.  This sound you guys are hearing from AT in the CKM500 did not come from one or two generation of earphones..It is like they went back to the drawing board after the previous CKM earphones and decided to redo what was good and then add more refinement.

 

Then there is the JVC factor.. I guarantee AT execs in Japan right now are not too comfy with the release of the new JVC line.. Competition is a good thing for all of us. In the end we get some of the best product these Japanese companies have made in years.  

 

I didn't realize I had a pair of Meelec bi flange tips that came with my CC51. Listening to them now. You guys are right. These tips sound great with the CKM500. Good looking out fellas. TipSet2-BalancedSound-1.jpg


Are your Meelec tips gray like the ones pictured, or are they black? You may already know this, but if they are black they are thicker and are supposed to deliver more bass, the grey ones are thinner and are supposed to create a more balanced sound.

Im currenty using the grey balanced ones.
post #1032 of 1897
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlenbo View Post

Dsnuts, do the jvc fxd80 and ckm500 go neck to neck with each other? Or are they equals in terms of quality, but different SQ? I sure hope both companies aren't getting money problems so they can create more earphones! The mids are now starting to open up to me and I have to say that the instruments sound way different with the ckm500s than my whole collection of earphones and headphones. The a900x however does the best job for making creamy lush vocals that I so love...


I am almost done with full burn in for the FXD80.. Keep and eye out as I will do a comparo against the CKM500. I will just say for guys that want to try something on the different. The JVC FXD80 is a crazy good iem. I think for guys that absolutely love the sound you are hearing from the CKM500 the FXD80 will not do one better than what you love about the CKM500 as it has a much leaner sound but technically the FXD80 does have one up on the CKM500. What makes me enjoy the CKM500 so much however, is not on the FXD80. I will get more into that later as I am learning exactly what makes the FXD80 sound the way they do.

 

Damn guys I am impressed with how these biflanges sound on the CKM500. The staging is even better. More depth and space, Call me impressed! I love it when a tip change can give you more of the sound you love. Might have to order me some more Meleec tips..

 

@Jason the ones I have a clear white which came with my CC51. They look exactly like those grey ones. The ones that are in this set actually. TipSet4-R1CL-MEE-1.jpg Which set of tips did you get. The ones for the M9?


Edited by Dsnuts - 6/24/12 at 10:18am
post #1033 of 1897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsnuts View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlenbo View Post

Dsnuts, do the jvc fxd80 and ckm500 go neck to neck with each other? Or are they equals in terms of quality, but different SQ? I sure hope both companies aren't getting money problems so they can create more earphones! The mids are now starting to open up to me and I have to say that the instruments sound way different with the ckm500s than my whole collection of earphones and headphones. The a900x however does the best job for making creamy lush vocals that I so love...


I am almost done with full burn in for the FXD80.. Keep and eye out as I will do a comparo against the CKM500. I will just say for guys that want to try something on the different. The JVC FXD80 is a crazy good iem. I think for guys that absolutely love the sound you are hearing from the CKM500 the FXD80 will not do one better than what you love about the CKM500 as it has a much leaner sound but technically the FXD80 does have one up on the CKM500. What makes me enjoy the CKM500 so much however, is not on the FXD80. I will get more into that later as I am learning exactly what makes the FXD80 sound the way they do.

 

Damn guys I am impressed with how these biflanges sound on the CKM500. The staging is even better. More depth and space, Call me impressed! I love it when a tip change can give you more of the sound you love. Might have to order me some more Meleec tips..

 

@Jason the ones I have a clear white which came with my CC51. They look exactly like those grey ones. The ones that are in this set actually. TipSet4-R1CL-MEE-1.jpg Which set of tips did you get. The ones for the M9?


Yes, mine are the ones for the M9. I bought there bigger assortment, and i also got 3 pairs of the "balanced sound" bi-flange tips. So far i have only tried the balanced bi-flange tips, but i am very very impressed. Not sure if the balanced tips are different from the clear ones or not though, i didnt get any clear ones.
post #1034 of 1897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsnuts View Post

Well cute I am eagerly awaiting AT to release the new CKM700s. I don't know if you saw this pic 300x300px-LL-ab3b5894_4961310116385.jpg The earphones this comes with is interesting. It looks like a completely new earphone with an open vented design.  Whatever earphones these are. They look premium. 3D sound?

 

Why is there a power adapter...?

post #1035 of 1897

I've been using my CKM500 A LOT these past few days. I gotta admit I was absolutely disappointed when I played one of my favorite songs, Franz Ferdinand's Take Me Out and sounded terrible. Well, not terrible, but lost to both CKM55/EX500 in every single way it could. The sound was not clear enough, it was lacking everywhere and it just sounded bad. I don't know why, but these in-ears seem to have trouble with a few particular songs making them sound worse than they should normally, but makes other (electronic/pop) sound amazing. I should burn-in them some more so I can see if there's something really wrong with me, or with these lol

Another thing I'm disappointed with CKM500: soundstage. It's tiny. I'm really betting on burn-in so it gets a tad bigger because it's pretty bad here.

But overall, it's a good in-ear, for its price.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The ATH-CKM500..The best CKM earphone yet.