or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Balanced amp for HE-500 phones?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Balanced amp for HE-500 phones?

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 

I'm ready to get balanced. Looking for one that has enough power to run the Hifiman HE-500. Another benefit would be if it's quiet enough to also run my JH Audio 16's when people start yelling at me about how loud the open cans are. 

 

Trying to keep it near or under 1K. 

On the list of possible amps so far:
Bryston BHA-1
Schiit Mjolnir

Woo WA22 (Used) 

 

Those are the only ones that come to mind. What else is out there I should consider?

TIA

 

 

post #2 of 11

My only real experience with balanced amp is the Woo22 which I currently have. I know it will drive the HE-500 beautifully, I've listened to a friends unbalanced HE-6 on my amp. Your budget however may be a bit light, even for a used one. The 22 is in my "last amp you'll ever buy" category. If you're intending to buy your "last amp" you may want to increase your budget and go for the 22.

post #3 of 11

The Audio GD NFB6 seems pretty good for the money.

I ordered one, but still haven't received it yet.

 

Though I'd like to know how they'd stand against theses amps you mentioned.

post #4 of 11
Thread Starter 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatcat28037 View Post

My only real experience with balanced amp is the Woo22 which I currently have. I know it will drive the HE-500 beautifully, I've listened to a friends unbalanced HE-6 on my amp. Your budget however may be a bit light, even for a used one. The 22 is in my "last amp you'll ever buy" category. If you're intending to buy your "last amp" you may want to increase your budget and go for the 22.

 

I'll consider it, thanks.

post #5 of 11
Thread Starter 

Ordered the Bryston BHA-1. 

Anyone want to buy my Bottlehead SEX 2.1?

post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd R View Post

Ordered the Bryston BHA-1. 

Anyone want to buy my Bottlehead SEX 2.1?

 

How did you end up liking the BHA-1 with HE-500?

post #7 of 11

Why are you specifically limiting yourself to balanced only?


Edited by paradoxper - 11/24/12 at 12:43pm
post #8 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom25 View Post

 

How did you end up liking the BHA-1 with HE-500?

 

It was good but my Bottlehead was slightly better. Ended up keeping the Bottlehead and sold the Bryston. 

post #9 of 11

how about violectric V181

post #10 of 11

How much in your opinion does the sound improve with a balanced amp? Do you also need a balanced source? 

post #11 of 11

The Oppo HA-1 seems to be the flavor of the month, so it's worth your attention as well.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Balanced amp for HE-500 phones?