Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum) › Norne Audio (Was: Norse Audio): Feedback & Impression Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Norne Audio (Was: Norse Audio): Feedback & Impression Thread - Page 76

post #1126 of 1137
Email Trevor about a red SolvX, he helped me out!
post #1127 of 1137
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahsmoh View Post


Hormonic distortion.. haha I thought I read that wrong at first
Now I know what the THD specs mean. Total Hormonic Distorsions smily_headphones1.gif)
post #1128 of 1137
Is there a consensus for which Norne cable is favored for the HD800? I have a Draug 2 on order since Dec. 1st. Just wondering if I made the right choice. Any thoughts?
post #1129 of 1137
Draug 2 is not a good choice... It's great choice! The Draug is the best HD 800 cable that I've heard by far!
post #1130 of 1137
Quote:
Originally Posted by citraian View Post

Draug 2 is not a good choice... It's great choice! The Draug is the best HD 800 cable that I've heard by far!

Thanks that's good to know, especially coming from a fellow Master 9 owner! smile.gif
post #1131 of 1137

Hello,

I'm considering ordering the Vanquish for a pair of HE-560s that I'll be connecting into an Oppo HA-1. (Balanced XLR input)

Can someone please explain the difference between the standard 4-pin XLR and 4-pin mini-xlr options on the Norse Audio site?  

Are they the same connectors with the mini just being a smaller form factor?  Does anyone have any pictures comparing them?

Assuming they're the same, (other than size) would you recommend one over the other?  I think I had read some reports

earlier in this thread about some concerns with the regular XLR connector putting too much pressure on the amp input and thus

recommending the mini. Thoughts?  Thanks!

post #1132 of 1137
Quote:
Originally Posted by unixdog View Post

Hello,
I'm considering ordering the Vanquish for a pair of HE-560s that I'll be connecting into an Oppo HA-1. (Balanced XLR input)
Can someone please explain the difference between the standard 4-pin XLR and 4-pin mini-xlr options on the Norse Audio site?  
Are they the same connectors with the mini just being a smaller form factor?  Does anyone have any pictures comparing them?
Assuming they're the same, (other than size) would you recommend one over the other?  I think I had read some reports
earlier in this thread about some concerns with the regular XLR connector putting too much pressure on the amp input and thus
recommending the mini. Thoughts?  Thanks!
+1 great question:).
post #1133 of 1137
Quote:
Originally Posted by unixdog View Post
 

Hello,

I'm considering ordering the Vanquish for a pair of HE-560s that I'll be connecting into an Oppo HA-1. (Balanced XLR input)

Can someone please explain the difference between the standard 4-pin XLR and 4-pin mini-xlr options on the Norse Audio site?  

Are they the same connectors with the mini just being a smaller form factor?  Does anyone have any pictures comparing them?

Assuming they're the same, (other than size) would you recommend one over the other?  I think I had read some reports

earlier in this thread about some concerns with the regular XLR connector putting too much pressure on the amp input and thus

recommending the mini. Thoughts?  Thanks!

 

The 4-pin mini-xlr (modular) option was created purely for folks that want a universal type system with a single primary cable.  So the main cable plus the adapters

for the varied amps one might own (3.5mm, 6.3mm, 4-pin XLR, 2.5mm 4-pole, etc).  Pinout of the mini-xlr is identical to the normal / large size xlr (1:L+,2:L-,3:R+, 4:R-).

Just email anytime for picture / size comparison.

post #1134 of 1137
Quote:
Originally Posted by unixdog View Post

Hello,
I'm considering ordering the Vanquish for a pair of HE-560s that I'll be connecting into an Oppo HA-1. (Balanced XLR input)
Can someone please explain the difference between the standard 4-pin XLR and 4-pin mini-xlr options on the Norse Audio site?  
Are they the same connectors with the mini just being a smaller form factor?  Does anyone have any pictures comparing them?

The suggestion about which size to get only comes into play if you are getting an adapter for various connections and the decision will affect your cost. If you go with the mini you will need an adapter cable in addition in order to go from mini to regular XLR. If you for example you also want 1/4 inch then you will need another adapter for that. A lower cost option is to go with the regular size option and then adapt that to 1/4 inch with just one adapter cable but that's when the concern about the weight of the regular XLR cable connections coming in to play.

Also, I believe the newest cable they announced (the Solv if memory serves) was developed particularly for planar headphones so if it fits your budget it might be worth considering.
post #1135 of 1137
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigzStudio View Post

The 4-pin mini-xlr (modular) option was created purely for folks that want a universal type system with a single primary cable.  So the main cable plus the adapters
for the varied amps one might own (3.5mm, 6.3mm, 4-pin XLR, 2.5mm 4-pole, etc).  Pinout of the mini-xlr is identical to the normal / large size xlr (1:L+,2:L-,3:R+, 4:R-).
Just email anytime for picture / size comparison.

Thank you for the detailed response. So I'm assuming then that you wouldn't plug the mini directly into your amps XLR input without an adapter for the large XLR? Thus if I only ever plan on connecting to an XLR input, just order my cable with the large (standard) XLR connector? I got the impression that people were plugging the mini directly into their device.
post #1136 of 1137
Quote:
Originally Posted by unixdog View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigzStudio View Post

The 4-pin mini-xlr (modular) option was created purely for folks that want a universal type system with a single primary cable.  So the main cable plus the adapters
for the varied amps one might own (3.5mm, 6.3mm, 4-pin XLR, 2.5mm 4-pole, etc).  Pinout of the mini-xlr is identical to the normal / large size xlr (1:L+,2:L-,3:R+, 4:R-).
Just email anytime for picture / size comparison.

Thank you for the detailed response. So I'm assuming then that you wouldn't plug the mini directly into your amps XLR input without an adapter for the large XLR? Thus if I only ever plan on connecting to an XLR input, just order my cable with the large (standard) XLR connector? I got the impression that people were plugging the mini directly into their device.

 

I used to just get a 4-pin XLR termination and then a 1/4" adaptor, but lately there have been so many portable amps and DAPs that can power full-sized headphones it made more sense to use mini-XLRs which are far less bulky. Also if someone comes up with a new connection I only have to order a tail (or make one myself) rather than a whole new cable.   The other thing to do is if the headphones will be used for portables is make the main cable 4-5' and have a short 1/8"/3.5mm tail and longer 2' or so 1/4"/6.5mm and 4-pin XLR tails. 

post #1137 of 1137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currawong View Post

I used to just get a 4-pin XLR termination and then a 1/4" adaptor, but lately there have been so many portable amps and DAPs that can power full-sized headphones it made more sense to use mini-XLRs which are far less bulky. Also if someone comes up with a new connection I only have to order a tail (or make one myself) rather than a whole new cable.   The other thing to do is if the headphones will be used for portables is make the main cable 4-5' and have a short 1/8"/3.5mm tail and longer 2' or so 1/4"/6.5mm and 4-pin XLR tails. 
Thanks for the advice, I am still a novice to a lot of this stuff, especially cables and the different connections.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum) › Norne Audio (Was: Norse Audio): Feedback & Impression Thread