Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Aurisonics Impressions, Reviews & Discussions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Aurisonics Impressions, Reviews & Discussions Thread - Page 43

post #631 of 3581

With all the praise on the ASG-2's I thought I'd give a more direct impression of my experience with them as well. Obviously Dale is very confident in his product and I think is quite smart in letting us try them, as he has knowingly/unknowingly started a bit of viral hype around here. From my personal listening experience with them I'd say, undoubtedly, they are worth the buzz.

 

The way they play music is in many ways similar to the ASG-1's. Smooth, really great soundstage and very detailed. They have everything the 1.2's have just more refined. Detail is amazing just like before but better because of the improved range. I was able to throw some difficult tracks at them and came away extremely impressed and, again, noticing things I couldn't even make out with the 1's which are definitely revealing headphones. I really enjoy the intracasies of music and always appreciate a headphone that can bring out the most subtle of detail; these were a home run for me. 

 

Sound stage is again superb. I didn't get to do enough juxtaposing in this regard to get a chance to appreciate the subtle differences unfortunately as I think it's the most difficult part of an IEM to really appreciate and get intimate with, but on certain songs I got the feeling I was in the studio or at a concert. It's very enveloping and just surrounds you with great direction, separation, space. I could just close my eyes and feel like I was there with a very three dimensional presentation. Listening to a live concert was just a great experience on these.

 

Finally, the most dramatic improvement is frequency of these phone and what they can do with sound at it's most difficult to render highs and lows. Now the mid-range is still there and silky smooth just brought down a little bit to be more neutral than their predecessors. The highs and lows though are awesome, simply awesome. The bass goes so low, lower than the IE8, but with no bloat and a overall very cohesive sound. I threw my toughest tracks at them, tracks where every IEM I've heard before them has failed and came away with a big smile from ear to ear. It's not in your face, ridiculous bass unless the song calls for it. The reverberation's I felt sinfully fun, and gave the impression that my world was shaking. It is like a quake in your ear during some of my dubstep and techno tracks that are just a bass fest. But switch it over to something with little to no bass and there is little no bass. Put on a good alternative track with some bass and that's what you get. It never seemed out of place but was more than happy to shake me to my core when the track called for it and with so much detail, excellent decay, body and texture. Well done Dale, well done. I don't appreciate highs like many others of you but it's highs are definitely higher, with more detail and texture in them. I'm very sensitive to sibilance and can happily report that I experienced none. They do go high though I can tell you that and do great with female vocals.

 

I definitely want a pair and customs too. Due to some recent personal and financial unfolding, I will put off my purchase for a little bit, but after hearing them I just cannot stand to not own them. But am still very happy with my ASG-1's in the meantime. 

post #632 of 3581
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysins View Post

With all the praise on the ASG-2's I thought I'd give a more direct impression of my experience with them as well. Obviously Dale is very confident in his product and I think is quite smart in letting us try them, as he has knowingly/unknowingly started a bit of viral hype around here. From my personal listening experience with them I'd say, undoubtedly, they are worth the buzz.

 

The way they play music is in many ways similar to the ASG-1's. Smooth, really great soundstage and very detailed. They have everything the 1.2's have just more refined. Detail is amazing just like before but better because of the improved range. I was able to throw some difficult tracks at them and came away extremely impressed and, again, noticing things I couldn't even make out with the 1's which are definitely revealing headphones. I really enjoy the intracasies of music and always appreciate a headphone that can bring out the most subtle of detail; these were a home run for me. 

 

Sound stage is again superb. I didn't get to do enough juxtaposing in this regard to get a chance to appreciate the subtle differences unfortunately as I think it's the most difficult part of an IEM to really appreciate and get intimate with, but on certain songs I got the feeling I was in the studio or at a concert. It's very enveloping and just surrounds you with great direction, separation, space. I could just close my eyes and feel like I was there with a very three dimensional presentation. Listening to a live concert was just a great experience on these.

 

Finally, the most dramatic improvement is frequency of these phone and what they can do with sound at it's most difficult to render highs and lows. Now the mid-range is still there and silky smooth just brought down a little bit to be more neutral than their predecessors. The highs and lows though are awesome, simply awesome. The bass goes so low, lower than the IE8, but with no bloat and a overall very cohesive sound. I threw my toughest tracks at them, tracks where every IEM I've heard before them has failed and came away with a big smile from ear to ear. It's not in your face, ridiculous bass unless the song calls for it. The reverberation's I felt sinfully fun, and gave the impression that my world was shaking. It is like a quake in your ear during some of my dubstep and techno tracks that are just a bass fest. But switch it over to something with little to no bass and there is little no bass. Put on a good alternative track with some bass and that's what you get. It never seemed out of place but was more than happy to shake me to my core when the track called for it and with so much detail, excellent decay, body and texture. Well done Dale, well done. I don't appreciate highs like many others of you but it's highs are definitely higher, with more detail and texture in them. I'm very sensitive to sibilance and can happily report that I experienced none. They do go high though I can tell you that and do great with female vocals.

 

I definitely want a pair and customs too. Due to some recent personal and financial unfolding, I will put off my purchase for a little bit, but after hearing them I just cannot stand to not own them. But am still very happy with my ASG-1's in the meantime. 

Nice post, very nice information as well.

post #633 of 3581

Would love to hear a treblehead's thoughts on the AS-2s.

post #634 of 3581

Sorry to hear about this last bit. I once again have to 100% agree with everything you said, and point out that I think you do the AS-2's a very great service in your description. Hopefully you are able to afford the AS-2's very soon. My advice, save the money and don't get the 'b' model, I know I don't ever use it's features and I bet you already know you don't want to mess with their tuning having heard how great they are stock. These CIEM's have turned me from basshead to balanced freak, everything is just perfectly well balanced and confined to its own frequency you are just amazed that the 15mm driver is handling most of the sound. I seriously thought the BA's handled everything but the bass for the longest time and am perfectly okay with the fact that it's not doing such. Dale has hit a home run with these and he hasn't even been up to bat. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysins View Post

I definitely want a pair and customs too. Due to some recent personal and financial unfolding, I will put off my purchase for a little bit, but after hearing them I just cannot stand to not own them. But am still very happy with my ASG-1's in the meantime. 

I was talking to Dale last night and he mentioned how much he enjoys what he's doing. I think many of the people that have heard the AS-2's can appreciate more than others how great it is to hear that a man with so much talent and expertise enjoys what he's doing and I can't wait for the future.

post #635 of 3581
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenman345 View Post

Sorry to hear about this last bit. I once again have to 100% agree with everything you said, and point out that I think you do the AS-2's a very great service in your description. Hopefully you are able to afford the AS-2's very soon. My advice, save the money and don't get the 'b' model, I know I don't ever use it's features and I bet you already know you don't want to mess with their tuning having heard how great they are stock. These CIEM's have turned me from basshead to balanced freak, everything is just perfectly well balanced and confined to its own frequency you are just amazed that the 15mm driver is handling most of the sound. I seriously thought the BA's handled everything but the bass for the longest time and am perfectly okay with the fact that it's not doing such. Dale has hit a home run with these and he hasn't even been up to bat. 

I was talking to Dale last night and he mentioned how much he enjoys what he's doing. I think many of the people that have heard the AS-2's can appreciate more than others how great it is to hear that a man with so much talent and expertise enjoys what he's doing and I can't wait for the future.

It seems like he hit the mark with your aesthetics as well, they look amazing!


Edited by jrkong - 6/5/12 at 8:35am
post #636 of 3581
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastershake2393 View Post

 

I'm curious about this too.

 

Additionally, I had my girlfriend try out the ASG-1 (1.2) yesterday and she said she would fight me for them haha. I agreed to give them to her once I get my hands on the AS-2 biggrin.gif

Haha, surely you have to be a gentle man and hand them over ;)

 

Swear you had them up for sale? Or are you keeping them now?

post #637 of 3581
Originally Posted by 0o0o0o View Post

Would love to hear a treblehead's thoughts on the AS-2s.


Originally Posted by FlySweep View Post

It's been noted that Dale incorporated some very unique, dual BA tweeters in the AS-2.. to appreciate what they deliver, they truly must be heard.  Think DBA-02 & CK10 level clarity, detail, resolution, texturing, and speed.. but with better note weight.  The treble is precise, impeccably detailed, and possesses just the right mix of smoothness, crispness, airiness, and sparkle.  In fact, I've never heard this articulate & natural a treble response from BAs.

I'm as big a DBA fan as you'll find.  Unlike many, I wouldn't consider them treble happy phones, though.. why?  Because I've had them reshelled & with a custom fit, they sound impeccably balanced & not overly bright in anyway.  My love for their crisp, detailed response is why I was looking into getting them reshelled (again) with another driver or two to handle the low end.. until the AS-2 came along. Like I said.  Dale achieved the type of signature I was looking to create : DBA-02 & CK10.. on steroids.. with subs.


Edited by FlySweep - 6/5/12 at 10:29am
post #638 of 3581
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlySweep View Post
 I was looking to create : DBA-02 & CK10.. on steroids.. with subs.

Your not the only one, so many people have been looking for that, my mate especially!

post #639 of 3581
To say I've fallen in love with the asg-1 is an understatement. I think the album that did me in was Yellowcard's "Ocean Avenue"

When I boost the treble, I get lost in the music. I'd be happy if the As-2 sounded like the asg1.2 with the treble boosted. Any better and I might explode.
Edited by eke2k6 - 6/5/12 at 12:29pm
post #640 of 3581
I think head-fi may just spontaneously combust eke :O
post #641 of 3581
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post

To say I've fallen in love with the asg-1 is an understatement. I think the album that did me in was Yellowcard's "Ocean Avenue"
When I boost the treble, I get lost in the music. I'd be happy if the As-2 sounded like the asg1.2 with the treble boosted. Any better and I might explode.

In that case.. I can assure you all that if eke2k6 gets the AS-2, HeadFi will have one less member.. lol.

 

As I've said before, I am huge fan of the ASG-1.2.. the AS-2 takes all of the ASG-1.2's goodness.. and refines the sound to what I'd consider 'reference' grade... and yes, the treble is boosted (but not past what I would call neutral).  As far as treble quality & presence.. see my previous post.  Despite their (relatively) modest cost, being in the same company as the CK10 & DBA-02 when it comes to detail, treble presence, and articulation is about as high a praise as one can deliver for treble heads.


Edited by FlySweep - 6/5/12 at 1:14pm
post #642 of 3581
Treble heads and detail and transparency heads. The DBA even puts my EX1000s to shame in detail, transparency and speed.
post #643 of 3581

And remember.. Dale was fairly staunchly anti-BA.. until he got his hands on some very special ones that really impressed him.. enough to which he dedicated them to just handle the tweeter frequencies.  As I stated.. their greatness must be heard to be understood.

post #644 of 3581
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlySweep View Post

In that case.. I can assure you all that if eke2k6 gets the AS-2, HeadFi will have one less member.. lol.

 

As I've said before, I am huge fan of the ASG-1.2.. the AS-2 takes all of the ASG-1.2's goodness.. and refines the sound to what I'd consider 'reference' grade... and yes, the treble is boosted (but not past what I would call neutral).  As far as treble quality & presence.. see my previous post.  Despite their (relatively) modest cost, being in the same company as the CK10 & DBA-02 when it comes to detail, treble presence, and articulation is about as high a praise as one can deliver for treble heads.

 

If this is in the same company as the CK10 or DBA-02 maybe if would be cheaper for me to buy one of those...make sense?

post #645 of 3581
Originally Posted by cute View Post

 

If this is in the same company as the CK10 or DBA-02 maybe if would be cheaper for me to buy one of those...make sense?

If it's that simple to you, sure.. go for it..

 

tongue_smile.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Aurisonics Impressions, Reviews & Discussions Thread