Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Westone UM3X or Westone 4 or Shure SE535 ??
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Westone UM3X or Westone 4 or Shure SE535 ?? - Page 4

post #46 of 244
Thread Starter 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremypsp View Post

 

 


Nice to see you finally made your choice. Hope you enjoy them :) 

 

By the way - did you get yours from Westone or another vendor? (I did pay $30 shipping to get next day service from Westone, but I was like a kid at Christmas and didn't want to wait once I made my decision.)

post #47 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatNine View Post

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremypsp View Post

 

 


Nice to see you finally made your choice. Hope you enjoy them :) 

 

By the way - did you get yours from Westone or another vendor? (I did pay $30 shipping to get next day service from Westone, but I was like a kid at Christmas and didn't want to wait once I made my decision.)


I ordered them from Earphonesolutions with a pretty sweet deal and paid for Priority shipping. I really wanted to do overnight - like you lol - but I didn't want to pay another $30. The worst part is that I just realized I'm traveling next Monday - Tuesday so even if they come to the house I won't get them until Wednesday! The waiting is going to drive me crazy!
post #48 of 244

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatNine View Post

 

 

By the way - did you get yours from Westone or another vendor? (I did pay $30 shipping to get next day service from Westone, but I was like a kid at Christmas and didn't want to wait once I made my decision.)

 

Wrong quoting? Because I got my 4R at an authorised dealer in my country.

 

 

What I definitely love about the W4 is the mids and when listening to the W4, I feel as if the music is touching me, which is a nice experience. What I don't like of course, that it has too much bass for me.

post #49 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatNine View Post

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremypsp View Post

 

 

You  mean ER-4 by "ear-raping" right? Well, they are, but you can actually get used to them.

 

Yeah - I tried, but gave up. They were extremely detailed though.



I see, well I guess that's too bed, although changing tips won't change the sound much either, while bringing more comfort. The ER-4's tri-flange is only tri-flange I can get used to so far, it seems.
post #50 of 244
Thread Starter 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremypsp View Post


I see, well I guess that's too bed, although changing tips won't change the sound much either, while bringing more comfort. The ER-4's tri-flange is only tri-flange I can get used to so far, it seems.

 

I'm wondering if the reason the Westone 4's are so comfy is that the shell itself (and the cable for that matter) is NOT supported by the tip and therefore the ear canal, but rather the unit itself because it sits in the "pocket" of the ear. (I'm sure there's a name for it but I don't know it.) This would hold true for the Shure SE535's too I suppose.

post #51 of 244

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatNine View Post

 

 

I'm wondering if the reason the Westone 4's are so comfy is that the shell itself (and the cable for that matter) is NOT supported by the tip and therefore the ear canal, but rather the unit itself because it sits in the "pocket" of the ear. (I'm sure there's a name for it but I don't know it.) This would hold true for the Shure SE535's too I suppose.

 

Well, extended usage of my 4R does kind of made my ears pain a little, but not too much of a problem. The W4 is also a lot more ergonomic than the SE535  and the SE535 will therefore hurt more. I found the UM3x however, to be a little more comfotable than both of them.

post #52 of 244

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremypsp View Post

 

 

Well, extended usage of my 4R does kind of made my ears pain a little, but not too much of a problem. The W4 is also a lot more ergonomic than the SE535  and the SE535 will therefore hurt more. I found the UM3x however, to be a little more comfotable than both of them.

 

actually i personally found the 535 very ergonomic fitment for me is perfect. but i have read alot of other ppl complain about fitment. i guess i am just lucky

post #53 of 244

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooses9 View Post

 

 

actually i personally found the 535 very ergonomic fitment for me is perfect. but i have read alot of other ppl complain about fitment. i guess i am just lucky

 

Nay, it's just obviously not as ergonomic compared to the Westones. But is still okay overall. Just that it takes aesthetics over ergonomics. 

post #54 of 244

Between the UM3x and W4, I honestly don't think the W4 is an upgrade from the UM3x. It is more of a sidegrade - I remember loving my W4 to bits back then but was still very impressed by the UM3x. Liked the UM3x better - it sounds more neutral and natural in my opinion.

post #55 of 244

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremypsp View Post

 

 

Nay, it's just obviously not as ergonomic compared to the Westones. But is still okay overall. Just that it takes aesthetics over ergonomics. 

 

true.

post #56 of 244

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikp View Post

Between the UM3x and W4, I honestly don't think the W4 is an upgrade from the UM3x. It is more of a sidegrade - I remember loving my W4 to bits back then but was still very impressed by the UM3x. Liked the UM3x better - it sounds more neutral and natural in my opinion.


Sounding natural and neutral at the same time? What sorcery is this? 

Anyway, I preferred the W4 over the UM3x because of the not-so-cramped soundstage and also the highs sound better in my opinion. Also the UM3x has more bass to me, which the W4 already has too much for me. But one thing the UM3x is better is obviously the instrumental separation. 

post #57 of 244

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremypsp View Post

 


Sounding natural and neutral at the same time? What sorcery is this? 

Anyway, I preferred the W4 over the UM3x because of the not-so-cramped soundstage and also the highs sound better in my opinion. Also the UM3x has more bass to me, which the W4 already has too much for me. But one thing the UM3x is better is obviously the instrumental separation. 

 

Did you find EX1000 to have too much bass quantity as well as the W4?

My impression of the lack of bass on the W4 is why I haven't ordered a pair.

post #58 of 244

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremypsp View Post

 

 

Nay, it's just obviously not as ergonomic compared to the Westones. But is still okay overall. Just that it takes aesthetics over ergonomics. 

 


Obviously?

 

Final comfort will depend mainly on concha and ear canal shape and size.

UM3X/SE535/W4 are all designed to sit tightly inside the ear concha, whose shape varies a lot.

 

I can wear SE535Ltd for hours with any discomfort (they rest very naturally into my ears concha), while W4 and UM3X annoy the hell out my ears after 30min because their nozzles are not angled properly for my ears canals, so the housings are not in the position they're designed to be.

 

And I'm sure we'll find the same number of people having exactly the opposite experience.

 

Everything not custom-moulded won't be ergonomic per say, even semi-universals like ASG-1. wink.gif


Edited by tienbasse - 4/21/12 at 1:26pm
post #59 of 244

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremypsp View Post

 


Sounding natural and neutral at the same time? What sorcery is this? 

Anyway, I preferred the W4 over the UM3x because of the not-so-cramped soundstage and also the highs sound better in my opinion. Also the UM3x has more bass to me, which the W4 already has too much for me. But one thing the UM3x is better is obviously the instrumental separation. 

 

The keyword is more here. The UM3x sounds more natural than the W4 in terms of timbre. Natural timbre doesn't go against neutrality. By the way, if you have heard the HD600 or maybe the HD800 you will know that those two elements can exist together in perfect harmony.

post #60 of 244

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by olear View Post

 

 

Did you find EX1000 to have too much bass quantity as well as the W4?

My impression of the lack of bass on the W4 is why I haven't ordered a pair.

 

 

Well, it's only me I guess, I think the EX-100 has too much bass for me as well.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Westone UM3X or Westone 4 or Shure SE535 ??