New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HM-901 - Page 51

post #751 of 3191
Quote:
Originally Posted by castleofargh View Post

hey HifiGuy say something!
traveling around the globe to tell everybody that the hm901 would start selling at the end of march, and then just disappear in a cave in Afghanistan isn't very nice of you.

My understanding is they'll be at the NY meet tomorrow. I definitely plan to stop by their table as the 901 is on my very short list. I'll report back if there's anything meaningful to report.
post #752 of 3191

Spoke with the rep from Head-Direct today about the availability of the 901 in the U.S. Sorry to report that he said it's likely not going to be available here until summertime.

 

I was able to listen to it for a bit, but without my own music so I won't post listener impressions other than to say it sounded quite good with my JHA 13 Pro FreqPhase. For what it's worth, I was listening through the balanced amp module which he said he expected to retail for $300.

 

The unit itself is built pretty well but, for the price, I would've preferred to see A LOT less plastic. The top portion, above the screen, is particularly cheap-looking. The physical size of the unit is quite manageable, but thicker than you'd probably hope. About 1/3 to 1/2 of that comes from the battery which can be swapped out with relative ease should you choose to buy an extra. It wasn't quite as easy to eject the battery as I would've hoped, but I can't imagine that a swap would take longer than 20-30 seconds with a few practice runs under your belt.

 

The interface is decent..relatively intuitive, but slower than I'd hoped. Just expect a slight lag to any button press...hopefully something that can be improved via a firmware update. Fast-forwarding through a song happened too fast. By the time you took your finger off of the button, the song was mostly over. Again, hopefully a firmware update can make this more user-friendly.

 

Below are a couple of pics I took. Nothing you haven't seen before, but I figured I'm always keen to see additional pics so others might be, as well.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

post #753 of 3191
That's a shame. Did he give any reason for the delay, if it is for QC then that is a good thing, better to launch a non buggy player than have a beta one like the DX100.
Shame about the plastic as well though I have nothing against plastic as long as it is done well. I do like the high gloss paint on the metal shell of my 801.

I must admit as well the top has always bothered me, not enough to not buy it but I think it could have been executed better but that is just personal preference. As long as it works well and sounds great I can forgive plastic and dubious details.
Edited by ianmedium - 4/20/13 at 8:50pm
post #754 of 3191

You can use the wheel to fast forward, very controllable and you can go forward and back very easily. The battery takes about 15 seconds to swap out.

post #755 of 3191
Thanks Jamato, I don't mind something that does not look great as long as it's function is good and it sounds like it. What do you think of the fit and finish of it?
post #756 of 3191

The unit at the show - is it the final product or are they still doing hardware developments? I know the Chinese market has already received many units I understand, but maybe the unit is a demo version of some kind? I must say that the physical appearence - including tactile feel - is also important at this price level (to me at least). Superior sound quality - I take that for granted, but a cheap and flimsy box - even with super sound - costing 1k $ is not going to have much of a chance, I expect. (I'm not saying that the 901 is cheap and flimsy; just talking generally here.)

post #757 of 3191
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianmedium View Post

Thanks Jamato, I don't mind something that does not look great as long as it's function is good and it sounds like it. What do you think of the fit and finish of it?


It looks like it should take abuse, if it happens and keep on working. Pretty solid feel and the amp boards are easy to change out.

post #758 of 3191

Honestly, based on all the pics we have seen so far, it REALLY does not look like a 1K DAP. I am sure it sounds good / great as some reliable seem to think so, but honestly, why do hifiman never put an effort in the design of their DAPs. It is a matter of taste true, but still, if you put it side by side with DX100, AK100 and even Studio V, it looks cheap an ugly. I will still buy it, but I am stupid.

post #759 of 3191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimouille View Post

Honestly, based on all the pics we have seen so far, it REALLY does not look like a 1K DAP. I am sure it sounds good / great as some reliable seem to think so, but honestly, why do hifiman never put an effort in the design of their DAPs. It is a matter of taste true, but still, if you put it side by side with DX100, AK100 and even Studio V, it looks cheap an ugly. I will still buy it, but I am stupid.

So after sharing your opinion, you state you are stupid. Very interesting.

post #760 of 3191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimouille View Post

Honestly, based on all the pics we have seen so far, it REALLY does not look like a 1K DAP. I am sure it sounds good / great as some reliable seem to think so, but honestly, why do hifiman never put an effort in the design of their DAPs. It is a matter of taste true, but still, if you put it side by side with DX100, AK100 and even Studio V, it looks cheap an ugly. I will still buy it, but I am stupid.

For me,I personally think 901 looks a bit better than dx100 and studio v, never had a ak100. And I think 901 doesn't look good in picture don't know why. But it looks really solid and nice when you hold it.redface.gif
post #761 of 3191
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamato8 View Post

So after sharing your opinion, you state you are stupid. Very interesting.


The last part was second degree. Familiar with it ? Just like first degree but not :)

post #762 of 3191
Quote:
Originally Posted by tupac0306 View Post


For me,I personally think 901 looks a bit better than dx100 and studio v, never had a ak100. And I think 901 doesn't look good in picture don't know why. But it looks really solid and nice when you hold it.redface.gif


I'll try to get my hands on one then :) Thanks Tupac.

post #763 of 3191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chexxchexx View Post

Spoke with the rep from Head-Direct today about the availability of the 901 in the U.S. Sorry to report that he said it's likely not going to be available here until summertime.

 

I was able to listen to it for a bit, but without my own music so I won't post listener impressions other than to say it sounded quite good with my JHA 13 Pro FreqPhase. For what it's worth, I was listening through the balanced amp module which he said he expected to retail for $300.

 

The unit itself is built pretty well but, for the price, I would've preferred to see A LOT less plastic. The top portion, above the screen, is particularly cheap-looking. The physical size of the unit is quite manageable, but thicker than you'd probably hope. About 1/3 to 1/2 of that comes from the battery which can be swapped out with relative ease should you choose to buy an extra. It wasn't quite as easy to eject the battery as I would've hoped, but I can't imagine that a swap would take longer than 20-30 seconds with a few practice runs under your belt.

 

The interface is decent..relatively intuitive, but slower than I'd hoped. Just expect a slight lag to any button press...hopefully something that can be improved via a firmware update. Fast-forwarding through a song happened too fast. By the time you took your finger off of the button, the song was mostly over. Again, hopefully a firmware update can make this more user-friendly.

 

Below are a couple of pics I took. Nothing you haven't seen before, but I figured I'm always keen to see additional pics so others might be, as well.

 

 

thanks for the feedback mate. guess I'll go back sleeping in a cave until summer then.

post #764 of 3191
Quote:
Originally Posted by tupac0306 View Post


For me,I personally think 901 looks a bit better than dx100 and studio v, never had a ak100. And I think 901 doesn't look good in picture don't know why. But it looks really solid and nice when you hold it.redface.gif

 

 

 

had that experience with my sony z1000, didnt look good in pics but pretty classy looking when i get to hold it, that is all in my opinion of course though

post #765 of 3191
Thread Starter 

Fully agree with the comment made regarding the top of the player looking really cheap.  To my eyes, it looks like a retro design (back to the 70s).  I happen to also think the overall look of the player (not just the top) is very cheap for $1k device. Actually it looks cheap for any price device...  Admittedly, I've only seen it in pictures.  I'm hopeful that the player's performance will make owners forget about its looks.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear