New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HM-901 - Page 42

post #616 of 3330
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsHP View Post

I don't think he meant that the balanced amp for the 801 fits in the 901.

I think he returned his 801 incl. bal. amp, and then got 901 + bal. amp for that plus paid some too wink_face.gif

There was a deal for original 801 owners, and he is probably one of them.

I see, can you say DUH Steve? LOL thanks for explanation. beerchug.gif

post #617 of 3330
Quote:
Originally Posted by tupac0306 View Post

as the device is burning in and my brain is burning in...hmm...I will have to say I start to feel like I prefer 901 to dx100 more and more. 901 just sounds, in fang's words: more musical due to the fullness presented by two chips. And the functionality is just more versatile and easier to use. The HD/Vintage function is just impresssive! And it looks better too. I never thought I would say this because 801 wasn't as good as dx100 IMO. But 901 is like everything dx100 has but with more lifelike, musical sounding. Well done hifiman~

What headphones are you using with the 901? Could it be that the 901 is a much better sounding player than the Dx100? Especially after more hours and hours of burn in!

 

I would love to see the impressions of how the 901 sounds with the He-500, and HD 650's. Since the 901 is a Fantastic DAP competing with the Dx100, I would expect everyone to be using Quality Headphones.


Edited by Poetic - 3/30/13 at 9:08am
post #618 of 3330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poetic View Post

What headphones are you using with the 901? Could it be that the 901 is a much better sounding player than the Dx100? Especially after more hours and hours of burn in!

 

I would love to see the impressions of how the 901 sounds with the He-500, and HD 650's. Since the 901 is a Fantastic DAP competing with the Dx100, I would expect everyone to be using Quality Headphones.

I am using spiral ear 5 way, hidition nt6, lcd3 which are the three of the most neutral headphones I have ever heard, especially 5 way which is the best IEM (second best phone) I have heard to date, it sounds truly flawless with 901. I have lots of others to try, I will do when I have time.

 

So I am pretty confident to say 901 sounds stunning with super technical ability and neutrality, at the same time great musical feeling. So unless you like very bright (brighter than dx100) or very colored sound, I don't see reason you would dislike the sound of 901. I am sure it will sounds good with he500, hd650 since they are also, to my knowledge fairly neutral. And people on erji.net have already reported he500 pairs very well with 901.

post #619 of 3330
Did you try a comparison with your Anedio D2? I expect it to be a very competent desktop DAC, so a showdown with that could be interesting?
post #620 of 3330

Technically d2 might still be more flat and extended because it's a desktop DAC with very powerful amp. It drives lcd3 so well that makes me not even want to get another amp for it. I was thinking about getting burson soloist for quite sometime now but still can't pull the trigger since I can't see a weak point of lcd3 driven straight out of d2. Anyways, 901 on the other hand can keep up about 95% of d2's ability except the extreme lows/highs. They both use the same chip, but d2 sounds a little more linear, 901 is neutral too just not to the extent of d2 which is a tap brighter. They are both super smooth. 901 still has hifiman house sound,but with the right pairing, it absolute delivers whatever d2 does.

post #621 of 3330
Quote:
Originally Posted by tupac0306 View Post

Technically d2 might still be more flat and extended because it's a desktop DAC with very powerful amp. It drives lcd3 so well that makes me not even want to get another amp for it. I was thinking about getting burson soloist for quite sometime now but still can't pull the trigger since I can't see a weak point of lcd3 driven straight out of d2. Anyways, 901 on the other hand can keep up about 95% of d2's ability except the extreme lows/highs. They both use the same chip, but d2 sounds a little more linear, 901 is neutral too just not to the extent of d2 which is a tap brighter. They are both super smooth. 901 still has hifiman house sound,but with the right pairing, it absolute delivers whatever d2 does.

Interesting! Not surprising that a portable player has less oomph in the low bass than a desktop amp. How about transparency / resolution?

post #622 of 3330

about the same. I always feel that I can hear over 20 k Hz on d2, but not on 901/dx100. So resolution might be a tap better on d2, but can't be certain because I don't know I can trust my hearing all the time within this frequency region. Overall they all have super transparency and resolution. No detail will be missed on any of them. ES9018 is truly a fantastic chip!


Edited by tupac0306 - 3/30/13 at 1:53pm
post #623 of 3330
Quote:
Originally Posted by tupac0306 View Post

about the same. I always feel that I can hear over 20 k Hz on d2, but not on 901/dx100. So resolution might be a tap better on d2, but can't be certain because I don't know I can trust my hearing all the time within this frequency region. Overall they all have super transparency and resolution. No detail will be missed on any of them. ES9018 is truly a fantastic chip!

 

 

 

tupac thanks for the comparsion between the dx100 and the hm901. about hearing over 20khz, isnt that impossible for human hearing?

post #624 of 3330
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddragon View Post
tupac thanks for the comparsion between the dx100 and the hm901. about hearing over 20khz, isnt that impossible for human hearing?

Pretty much. Most young ears can hear up to 17khz or so. For music, it seems that going beyond our hearing range still adds to the effective sound quality. It has been postulated that even though we can't hear the higher frequencies, some part of our brain does sense this.

post #625 of 3330
i can hear up to 19k - 20k : )
When it gets to 17-18 k it becomes really disturbing.
post #626 of 3330
i can also hear up to 19k-20k, im 21 now. i heard most people over 30 wont be able to hear past 17k
post #627 of 3330
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddragon View Post
 


Sadly a larger part of that reason is more so than just due to age and naturally losing your hearing. Noise pollution is so bad.

post #628 of 3330
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post


Sadly a larger part of that reason is more so than just due to age and naturally losing your hearing. Noise pollution is so bad.


Isn't that the truth. So much noise where ever you go. There are times I will actually protect my ears because I value them and the sound hurts my ears.

post #629 of 3330
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post


Sadly a larger part of that reason is more so than just due to age and naturally losing your hearing. Noise pollution is so bad.

 

Agree. Have this very naive habit, whenever i'm outdoors, will plug in my customs to block the noise pollution and listen to music at lower levels.

 

hopefully, it will preserve the ears somewhat longer. smile.gif

post #630 of 3330
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post


Sadly a larger part of that reason is more so than just due to age and naturally losing your hearing. Noise pollution is so bad.

 

 

i also dont really like loud noises/sound. i dont get how people can stand it that loud in rave... and yes im a 21 years old guy, not an old guy trying to diss the younger generations. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear