New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HM-901 - Page 3

post #31 of 3183

Hope it will cost £700 and no more for us in the UK.

Anybody know how much is the docking station? Can you use 6.3 mm headphones with the dock?

post #32 of 3183
Quote:
Originally Posted by KT66 View Post

My Iphone 5 - 32 gig was £600 ( $930) and it sounds worse than a Clip.

 

$999 is a good price point for a hi end player, if it is bug free, and sounds better than the 801

 

I've spent more on cables.

 

never understood why such large memory is commanded here??, I have a bag of SDs and Micro SDs to use with my Hm-601 or Studio-v both into a Voyager. I never run out of music.

 

I bet by the time it hits the UK it'll be £999 ie  $1550 plus docking station that I would never use.

 

It will probably have no decent dealer support in the UK if it goes wrong.

 

So I am looking for a used HM-801


Why not go for a DX100? It's far superior to the 801 and its UI is greatly improved due to firmware updates.

post #33 of 3183
I simply don't like carrying memory cards around with me, if my iPod classic 160gb supports 24 bit 96 kHz playback, I would stop looking around and buy a fostex hpp1 to go with it already...
post #34 of 3183
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddragon View Post

I simply don't like carrying memory cards around with me, if my iPod classic 160gb supports 24 bit 96 kHz playback, I would stop looking around and buy a fostex hpp1 to go with it already...


Is it so far fetched to just take 1 64 GB card in your unit with you or not wait til 128 GB cards are out? I really don't think it's as big of an issue as its being made out to be. Plus the fact that you have expandable memory without being controlled. The memory limits will be up to 2 thousand gigabytes in the future. Apple won't be able to control the market with their current proprietary nonsense once the memory reaches around 256 GBs. Also keeping in mind the sound quality isn't that great either on apple.


Edited by lee730 - 10/29/12 at 8:35am
post #35 of 3183
Besides the memory, there is the factor of UI. IPod probably has the best UI. About sound, just bypass the internal dac and amp with something else.
post #36 of 3183
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddragon View Post

Besides the memory, there is the factor of UI. IPod probably has the best UI. About sound, just bypass the internal dac and amp with something else.


Can't argue about the UI. But carrying around a 3 piece bomb is just not for me. That alone is not worth the inconvenience for the apple UI and at least from comments I've gathered nor is the sound quality better than some single unit solutions.

post #37 of 3183
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post


Can't argue about the UI. But carrying around a 3 piece bomb is just not for me. That alone is not worth the inconvenience for the apple UI and at least from comments I've gathered nor is the sound quality better than some single unit solutions.

Well iPod can't support 24 bit 96khz, that is probably the only downer for me. Otherwise Mike from headfonia said iPod+hpp1 sounds better than the ibasso dx100
post #38 of 3183
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddragon View Post


Well iPod can't support 24 bit 96khz, that is probably the only downer for me. Otherwise Mike from headfonia said iPod+hpp1 sounds better than the ibasso dx100


Doubt he heard the DX100 with the latest firmware. Big difference. Also while it's not a requirement I do enjoy pairing my DX100 with a good quality portable amp which improves it even more. Still smaller than a 3 piece stack as well. gs1000.gif


Edited by lee730 - 10/29/12 at 9:39am
post #39 of 3183
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post


Doubt he heard the DX100 with the latest firmware. Big difference.

OK I will tell him that. Thanks for your help, I'm trying to find a portable solution too. I'm only using iPod classic+fiio e17 and I'm ready to upgrade. Maybe help point me in the right direction? smily_headphones1.gif how will you go about a portable solution for hifi dap?
post #40 of 3183
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddragon View Post


OK I will tell him that. Thanks for your help, I'm trying to find a portable solution too. I'm only using iPod classic+fiio e17 and I'm ready to upgrade. Maybe help point me in the right direction? smily_headphones1.gif how will you go about a portable solution for hifi dap?


I'd say always make sure your headphones or IEMs are gonna be worth upgrading your source first. If not then it's gonna leave you very disappointed with the gains. Once you've determined your headphones or IEMs are sufficient then upgrade your sources. You may wanna consider waiting til the Hifiman 901 comes out and listening to multiple reviews including from owners of the DX100 and people who have been able to do thorough cross-comparisons between both units. Heck if the 901 is indeed better in both UI and sound I'm all game myself. Also how portable do you wanna go and what will you be using the DAP with? There are other alternatives such as Hisound, Colorfly, etc. But I can tell you for sure I will not be carrying around a 3 piece stack lol.

 

popcorn.gif


Edited by lee730 - 10/29/12 at 9:49am
post #41 of 3183
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post


I'd say always make sure your headphones or IEMs are gonna be worth upgrading your source first. If not then it's gonna leave you very disappointed with the gains. Once you've determined your headphones or IEMs are sufficient then upgrade your sources. You may wanna consider waiting til the Hifiman 901 comes out and listening to multiple reviews including from owners of the DX100 and people who have been able to do thorough cross-comparisons between both units. Heck if the 901 is indeed better in both UI and sound I'm all game myself. Also how portable do you wanna go and what will you be using the DAP with? There are other alternatives such as Hisound, Colorfly, etc. But I can tell you for sure I will not be carrying around a 3 piece stack lol.

popcorn.gif

Headphone I have a lot to choose from, can always get better later but want to upgrade the dap really bad. Now owning a Sony z1000 which I think is very good (personal opinion), also have a stock fostex t50rp sitting on my desk waiting to get modded (either mad dog or paradox). What iem/headphone are you going to use for (trans)portable solution? A 3 piece brick rig, I'm not sure if I'm ready for that LOL
post #42 of 3183

Currently I use Tralucent 1Plus2 Hyrbid IEM, Sennheiser IE80 with silver cable/tape mod and Sony MDR-7550s. I plan on getting the Heir 8A down the road and I'm sure other IEMs and full size headphones. I formerly had Sony EX1000, JVC FX700, IE7, Custom TF10, RE262 Open-back Denon 5000s and Audiotechnica W3000 ANV. I've tried the AKG3003, Fit To Go 334 and GR07.

 

So far I'm quite happy with my current set up. For portability, battery life and sound quality in mind the Studio V 3rd ANV is amazing. For pure sound quality I still prefer the DX100 though.
 


Edited by lee730 - 10/29/12 at 10:27am
post #43 of 3183
I see, for iem I have ultimate ears trifi10, my etymotic research hf5 my friend is keeping it for now. I'm switching to all full sized headphones though...
post #44 of 3183

Can HM901 be used as a DAC to play music from laptop? Will the dock help?

post #45 of 3183
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicday View Post

Can HM901 be used as a DAC to play music from laptop? Will the dock help?


To my knowledge you have to buy the dock in order to do this. So a hefty price increase for the feature.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear