Recent Images In This Thread
- productColorfly Pocket Hi-fi C4tagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productHiFiMAN HM-801tagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productHiFiMAN HM-901tagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productiBasso DX100 Reference DAPtagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productQLS-HIFI QA350 V2+ SD Card WAV High Fidelity Music Player Portable player Blacktagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productTeclast T51tagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
Related Forum Threads
- REVIEW: HiFi ET MA9 - a new reference level DAP Last post on 2/19/14 at 6:31am in Portable Source Gear
- Next DAP needed, 801 dead. What next? 901. C4, AK100,X3/5/7, DX50/90/100 Last post on 2/22/14 at 7:40am in Portable Source Gear
- 24/96 Playback. Portability? Last post on 7/22/12 at 4:13pm in Portable Source Gear
- Ibasso DX100, Colorfly C4 or Hifiman HM 801 Last post on 10/20/13 at 12:45pm in Portable Source Gear
- Portable audiophile DAP with lots of avail disk space? Last post on 1/19/14 at 7:32pm in Portable Source Gear
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)
Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs...Last edited: 7/26/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable Devices)Last edited: 12/28/12
My current set. My favorite and my private oasis. These beauties will cut out most if not all ambient noise like while driving in a car and household noise when the music is flowing. I became a fan...
I was asked to listen to the Musical Fidelity MF100 and received them about 4 weeks ago. I get quite a lot of headphones through my door, I only review the ones I like and I like these a lot. I...
Got the SE846 last week and did some hours of comparison with my current SE535. My bias was towards keeping them - I like flagship products as a "there is nothing better" products, i.e. do not...
So I finally broke my go to earbuds, and went searching for a replacement. I was actually so disappointed with these things that I made it a point to get out and put out a review. Bass continuously...
I was looking for closed headphones with a pricetag up to €200 that could be used without an amp. After some research and listening sessions I bought the M50x. There's really not a lot to say about...
HM-901 - Page 167
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2492 of 265511/8/13 at 8:15ampost #2493 of 265511/8/13 at 8:17ampost #2494 of 265511/12/13 at 1:10amQuote:
May I know which is a better Amp card for HM-901 for headphones like AKG702 or DT990:
1) MiniBox Amp card
2) Balance Amp cardpost #2495 of 265511/12/13 at 5:41amI think some of the answer depends on if you get balanced plugs / cables for your headphones or not. If you don't plan getting the phones balanced, the it's only a matter of sound signature, I think.
I am very pleased with the balanced amp - even when used unbalanced. I haven't heard the Minibox amp.post #2496 of 265511/15/13 at 6:31pmQuote:Originally Posted by bowtung
After a whole week of listening, I feel that the highs on the discrete amp board is kinda out of control, don't know if it's my card only, will give more listening to it. I actually went out and bought a balanced card, and currently comparing the two. I don't think I really like the discrete board right now, maybe I'll have a different opinion later. My ears are kinda tired now, with all the switching around and listening to some other new gears.
Any chance you got an earlier version of the discrete amp board? I recall in on of the earlier threads on erji there were mention of excess treble in the tuning... And could also be synergy with iem/headphone.post #2497 of 265511/15/13 at 7:25pmQuote:
I don't think there is any amp module that can challenge the balanced amp card yet. But as LarsHP said, you really need to get your headphone balanced before you can benefit the most out of the balanced card. An alternative will be the new classic card, which I have on the HM801 and known to be really good sounding as well.post #2498 of 265511/15/13 at 7:48pmWell I have to praise hifiman for their customer service. I send my 901 for repair last Monday and they are delivering to me again this coming Monday, they called me first to arrange it. They would have even delivered this weekend if it was not my work address. Very goof communication through and through. Of course everything goes faster since I am in China.post #2499 of 265511/16/13 at 12:08am
This is totally random and may have already been mentioned, but I was searching for help w/tags for FLAC and OGG not being recognized. I have a 601. Anyway just incase this benefits someone, when I was using dbPoweramp &/or MP3tag it would not respect the tags but oddly enough on my Mac, Tag, & MAX both (ripping or tagging as it applies) for some reason tag flawlessly.
I know these are two different DAP's with different firmware etc. (albeit from the same MFG) but after an exhaustive night of trial and error I just wanted to post it so maybe someone could get use out of it.post #2500 of 265511/16/13 at 1:03am
I've been listening to the Minibox amp card for the past few days. Compared to the balanced amp card (w/ singled end phones), the Minibox doesn't have the same lushness but instead has a more V-shaped signature. It's powerful enough for the HE400 at high gain, but for hard-to-drive phones, the balanced amp is probably a better choice. On the other hand, the Minibox uses less power, i.e. your battery lasts longer (maybe 50% more) and your 901 gets less warm.post #2501 of 265511/16/13 at 1:09ampost #2502 of 265511/16/13 at 9:36amQuote:So what is your preference?Originally Posted by pekingduck
I've been listening to the Minibox amp card for the past few days. Compared to the balanced amp card (w/ singled end phones), the Minibox doesn't have the same lushness but instead has a more V-shaped signature. It's powerful enough for the HE400 at high gain, but for hard-to-drive phones, the balanced amp is probably a better choice. On the other hand, the Minibox uses less power, i.e. your battery lasts longer (maybe 50% more) and your 901 gets less warm.post #2503 of 265511/16/13 at 5:33pmpost #2504 of 265511/17/13 at 1:54ampost #2505 of 265511/17/13 at 2:30pmThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by ClieOS
I don't think there is any amp module that can challenge the balanced amp card yet. But as LarsHP said, you really need to get your headphone balanced before you can benefit the most out of the balanced card. An alternative will be the new classic card, which I have on the HM801 and known to be really good sounding as well.
What's the "new classic card"?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs...
- › Fresh outta CES: The Hifiman HE-400i and HE-560 6 seconds ago
- › Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Tom's Hardware Hi-Fi equipment test 2 minutes ago
- › 2359glenn | studio 2 minutes ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 3 minutes ago
- › Bowers & Wilkins P7 - over the ear headphones 3 minutes ago
- › The Basshead Club 4 minutes ago
- › VSonic GR07 Bass Edition Impressions 5 minutes ago
- › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Appreciation / Discussion thread 6 minutes ago
- › if i'm using the modi/magni, would DT770 250ohm sound better than... 7 minutes ago
- › Ultimate Ears 500 by echo1284
- › Musical Fidelity MF-100 High Quality On-Ear Headphones by astroid
- › Shure SE846 Sound Isolating™ Earphone by agistrilink
- › NCredible NErgy In-Ear Headphones by Monster® by tevbax
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by De_klusjesman
- › Klipsch S3M-Blue-HP In-Ear Headphone, Blue by DaddyMojo
- › Unique Melody Mentor acrylic universal/custom by svyr
- › Fischer Audio TBA-04 IEM by exsomnis
- › Edifier H850 by ClieOS
- › Edifier USA Spinnaker Media Speaker System (Black) by project86
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude