Recent Images In This Thread
- productColorfly Pocket Hi-fi C4tagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productHiFiMAN HM-801tagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productHiFiMAN HM-901tagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productiBasso DX100 Reference DAPtagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productQLS-HIFI QA350 V2+ SD Card WAV High Fidelity Music Player Portable player Blacktagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productTeclast T51tagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
Related Forum Threads
- REVIEW: HiFi ET MA9 - a new reference level DAP Last post on 2/19/14 at 6:31am in Portable Source Gear
- Next DAP needed, 801 dead. What next? 901. C4, AK100,X3/5/7, DX50/90/100 Last post on 3/31/14 at 11:51am in Portable Source Gear
- 24/96 Playback. Portability? Last post on 7/22/12 at 4:13pm in Portable Source Gear
- Ibasso DX100, Colorfly C4 or Hifiman HM 801 Last post on 10/20/13 at 12:45pm in Portable Source Gear
- Portable audiophile DAP with lots of avail disk space? Last post on 1/19/14 at 7:32pm in Portable Source Gear
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)
Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs...Last edited: 7/26/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable Devices)Last edited: 12/28/12
Accessories: Includes a pouch and cable. Pouch is well-built, compact, and stylish. Soft, flexible cable has never tangled for me in my time with it. Right angled jack is durable and well-relieved....
First off, I would like to thank Noisehush for sending me the NX85's! I'll get into the review now. Packaging: The NX85 come in a sturdy black card board box. It is all black, except the...
The LH Labs Geek Out had a lot to live up to. A good 7+ months ago, the Geek Out started as a concept. This concept was to bring a high quality audio experience into a small and affordable device....
If you like electric music or hip hop rap,this is it,but if you want a more balanced sound you better go for the sennheiser momentum or ue6000.
I am mainly using the Meridian Explorer on the road, from laptop. Setup is painless on Mac and Linux. Note that on Linux, it is worth checking the gain settings in alsamixer (only once is...
HM-901 - Page 167
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2492 of 276111/8/13 at 8:15ampost #2493 of 276111/8/13 at 8:17ampost #2494 of 276111/12/13 at 1:10amQuote:
May I know which is a better Amp card for HM-901 for headphones like AKG702 or DT990:
1) MiniBox Amp card
2) Balance Amp cardpost #2495 of 276111/12/13 at 5:41amI think some of the answer depends on if you get balanced plugs / cables for your headphones or not. If you don't plan getting the phones balanced, the it's only a matter of sound signature, I think.
I am very pleased with the balanced amp - even when used unbalanced. I haven't heard the Minibox amp.post #2496 of 276111/15/13 at 6:31pmQuote:Originally Posted by bowtung
After a whole week of listening, I feel that the highs on the discrete amp board is kinda out of control, don't know if it's my card only, will give more listening to it. I actually went out and bought a balanced card, and currently comparing the two. I don't think I really like the discrete board right now, maybe I'll have a different opinion later. My ears are kinda tired now, with all the switching around and listening to some other new gears.
Any chance you got an earlier version of the discrete amp board? I recall in on of the earlier threads on erji there were mention of excess treble in the tuning... And could also be synergy with iem/headphone.post #2497 of 276111/15/13 at 7:25pmQuote:
I don't think there is any amp module that can challenge the balanced amp card yet. But as LarsHP said, you really need to get your headphone balanced before you can benefit the most out of the balanced card. An alternative will be the new classic card, which I have on the HM801 and known to be really good sounding as well.post #2498 of 276111/15/13 at 7:48pmWell I have to praise hifiman for their customer service. I send my 901 for repair last Monday and they are delivering to me again this coming Monday, they called me first to arrange it. They would have even delivered this weekend if it was not my work address. Very goof communication through and through. Of course everything goes faster since I am in China.post #2499 of 276111/16/13 at 12:08am
This is totally random and may have already been mentioned, but I was searching for help w/tags for FLAC and OGG not being recognized. I have a 601. Anyway just incase this benefits someone, when I was using dbPoweramp &/or MP3tag it would not respect the tags but oddly enough on my Mac, Tag, & MAX both (ripping or tagging as it applies) for some reason tag flawlessly.
I know these are two different DAP's with different firmware etc. (albeit from the same MFG) but after an exhaustive night of trial and error I just wanted to post it so maybe someone could get use out of it.post #2500 of 276111/16/13 at 1:03am
I've been listening to the Minibox amp card for the past few days. Compared to the balanced amp card (w/ singled end phones), the Minibox doesn't have the same lushness but instead has a more V-shaped signature. It's powerful enough for the HE400 at high gain, but for hard-to-drive phones, the balanced amp is probably a better choice. On the other hand, the Minibox uses less power, i.e. your battery lasts longer (maybe 50% more) and your 901 gets less warm.post #2501 of 276111/16/13 at 1:09ampost #2502 of 276111/16/13 at 9:36amQuote:So what is your preference?Originally Posted by pekingduck
I've been listening to the Minibox amp card for the past few days. Compared to the balanced amp card (w/ singled end phones), the Minibox doesn't have the same lushness but instead has a more V-shaped signature. It's powerful enough for the HE400 at high gain, but for hard-to-drive phones, the balanced amp is probably a better choice. On the other hand, the Minibox uses less power, i.e. your battery lasts longer (maybe 50% more) and your 901 gets less warm.post #2503 of 276111/16/13 at 5:33pmpost #2504 of 276111/17/13 at 1:54ampost #2505 of 276111/17/13 at 2:30pmThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by ClieOS
I don't think there is any amp module that can challenge the balanced amp card yet. But as LarsHP said, you really need to get your headphone balanced before you can benefit the most out of the balanced card. An alternative will be the new classic card, which I have on the HM801 and known to be really good sounding as well.
What's the "new classic card"?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs...
- › New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne" 40 seconds ago
- › Official/ New York Spring Meet Sat April 5 2014 - Impressions Thread 45 seconds ago
- › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers 1 minute ago
- › Audiophiles in Dubai? 2 minutes ago
- › DAP-off: Astell&Kern AK240, HiFiMAN HM-901, Sony ZX-1, FiiO X5 2 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 3 minutes ago
- › Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Icon Audio HP8 MKII 3 minutes ago
- › AKG K240 Monitor with Hifiman velour pads 5 minutes ago
- › Ultimate Ears UE4000 Headphones by gopats1479
- › NoiseHush NX85 Stereo 3.5mm Headset with Mic - Retail Packaging -... by Mathewsa
- › LHLabs Geek Out by bhazard
- › Monster Inspiration by betterthan1122
- › Meridian Explorer by zolkis
- › Beyerdynamic T51P Tesla Headphone - Silver by twister6
- › FiiO E17 by zach8278
- › T-Peos H-300 - 3 Way Hybrid by White Lotus
- › Beats Studio Over-Ear Headphone (Black) - NEW by 2001Audiophile
- › Intopic Jazz i57 IEM by Pastapipo
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude