New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HM-901 - Page 163

post #2431 of 2943
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtung View Post

That DIY card with th900 is absolutely fantastic.....seriously good, powerful, impactful 
And with iems?
post #2432 of 2943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimouille View Post


And with iems?

Havent had enough time with my jh13s yet, will report back later, initial listening sounds good though...have been too busy with work these days

Th900 astonished me though since I've tried quite a few desktop amps without satisfaction

I have never heard the balance card though, and i sold my iem card yesterday, so I can't make any comparisons (don't plan to buy balance anyway, I don't want to recable all my headphones)

post #2433 of 2943
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtung View Post

Havent had enough time with my jh13s yet, will report back later, initial listening sounds good though...have been too busy with work these days
Th900 astonished me though since I've tried quite a few desktop amps without satisfaction
I have never heard the balance card though, and i sold my iem card yesterday, so I can't make any comparisons (don't plan to buy balance anyway, I don't want to recable all my headphones)
Did you sell the iem card because the DIY is much better?
post #2434 of 2943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimouille View Post


Did you sell the iem card because the DIY is much better?

Hard to say....I don't want to just post something without much listening and mislead people...

I just find the diy card more exciting, usually i find having more power in reserve sound better for my ears. I think the card is class-A, pretty unique in a portable device

Definitely better for full size headphones, i think my jh13 have pretty high impedance relative to other iems, so I don't find the need for iem card. I still have the standard card if I just want to max my battery life

post #2435 of 2943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuephile View Post

I have the stock, balanced, and iem cards for the 901. IMO I find the balanced card to mate well with my Sennheiser hd580 and hifiman HE-500 in balanced or single ended. Powerful, clean, and musically articulate. I also agree that the balanced card volume steps are too LARGE for iems. Even for the hifiman re600 balanced that I bought and returned. However, the iem card mates well with my akg 702 Annie's, ultrasone edition 8, denon ah-d2000, and shure se530's. Because those phones are more sensitive the iem card is a much better fit. Also powerful, clean, and articulate. In the 8 weeks that I've owned them, I am hard pressed to hear a sound quality difference between the balanced and iem cards. The only difference I have heard so far is power. The real test for me came when I listened to the jh audio Roxanne's at CanJam with the 901 iem card. I was very very impressed. The staging and clarity from bottom to to top was phenomenal IMO. My wallet is now considerably lighter. I am going to need therapy. biggrin.gif
I just have the stock and the iem card and I prefer the stock card to drive the ah-d2000, but with the iem card also sounds nice (just a little thin IMO).
Edited by fermelom - 10/26/13 at 2:59am
post #2436 of 2943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimouille View Post

Thanks a lot for the answer! And so are there any drawbacks versus the balanced card if I only use iems? And have you tried the Minibox?

Hmmm... If you don't intend to get a balanced trrs cable for your iem, none that I can think of from the SQ perspective.

Sadly, no experience with the minibox. If I pull the trigger on it, I'll let you know.

I think the best way to decide to get hold of a fellow head fier and have a listen for yourself.
post #2437 of 2943
Quote:
Originally Posted by fermelom View Post

To be honest I didn't knew about the integrated digital volumen control in the chip, but what I tried to say it's that only a control that upsample and process the signal won't deteriorate the SQ. Take a look to this explanation about the mods to the ak120: http://redwineaudio.com/mods/rwak120-s specially the section about the volume control.

"Hardware mode bypassing the digital volume control" is just a nice marketing cover for the fact RWA do not have access to the firmware and modify it to control volume via the wm8741 and the stock firmware is for the wm8740. Vinnie had even openly invite firmware modders like listrds to see if they can get the firmware to work with the 8741 for volume control.
post #2438 of 2943
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtung View Post

Havent had enough time with my jh13s yet, will report back later, initial listening sounds good though...have been too busy with work these days
Th900 astonished me though since I've tried quite a few desktop amps without satisfaction
I have never heard the balance card though, and i sold my iem card yesterday, so I can't make any comparisons (don't plan to buy balance anyway, I don't want to recable all my headphones)

Imho any iem or hp that either 1) require more power or 2) has a less forward mids would benefit greatly with this discrete amp board. It works great with the 1p2, I like it better than the balanced amp in balanced mode.

For IEMs that benefits from a wider soundstage, I still like the balanced mode more.
post #2439 of 2943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimouille View Post

Thanks for the opinion guys. Only thing stopping me is that I just got a balanced cable for my top iems....
But why do you say it only partly solves the volume issue for iems? Is it still not fine enough?
All of my iem listening is done with RE400 or SE530. With the balanced card it's either too loud at volume step 2.3 or too soft at 2.0. With the iem card there are three steps now. 2.7 a bit too soft, 3.3 a bit too loud, 3.0 about right. IMO. If the iem card was even less powerful then I think I could listen at higher volume levels with finer steps. However, the iem is good enough with the three (or four) volume steps that I kept it.
post #2440 of 2943
Quote:
Originally Posted by fermelom View Post

I just have the stock and the iem card and I prefer the stock card to drive the ah-d2000, but with the iem card also sounds nice (just a little thin IMO).
I agree with you here. However, I don't listen to the stock card much, even though it sounds wonderful IMO, because of my fear (irrational?) that the stock card may malfunction and damage the 901. This is based on the fact that HiFiMan discontinued the stock card. In any event, IMO the sound quality of the stock, iem, and balanced cards are all excellent with the right headphone applications, I just primarily listen to the balanced and iem cards. P.s. I think the ah-d2000 sounds great with the balanced card too. Much fuller in the bass with a more expansive soundstage as well.
post #2441 of 2943
How does the iem compare to balanced card
post #2442 of 2943
Thanks guys...I am still not sure whether I should go iem, minibox or stay balanced. I think Minibox will not solve the volume issue. I will wait to get my balanced cable and see how the balanced mode is and then decide. On the other hand the iem card is not so expensive I could just give it a go...
post #2443 of 2943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimouille View Post

Thanks guys...I am still not sure whether I should go iem, minibox or stay balanced. I think Minibox will not solve the volume issue. I will wait to get my balanced cable and see how the balanced mode is and then decide. On the other hand the iem card is not so expensive I could just give it a go...

Just get them all ;) you know you will sooner or later

post #2444 of 2943
Quote:
Originally Posted by tupac0306 View Post

Just get them all wink.gif you know you will sooner or later
I would if they were easily switchable....but the insides are so fragile.
post #2445 of 2943
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkcc View Post


Yup this is correct. Good POTs won't cause any degradation and they are also very expensive components.

I should clarify that this comment is only specific to the 901 v 802 where the "normal POT" is one of the first things Fang mentioned as a key differentiation and also a key reason why 901 is much more costly to make for them (and thus priced much higher). I would rather they implement a digital volume control using the wm8740 than an analog POT but probably it is more economical to retain most of the same circuitry with the POT.

Would have loved to see a player with this sort of cost cutting and a single ESS901XK2M DAC for more play time and of course, the ESS chips are nice all in one solutions with these new ones made for low current draw. They probably showed up too late for this last generation of players to utilize.


Edited by goodvibes - 10/26/13 at 11:38am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear