- 291 Posts. Joined 9/2010
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productColorfly Pocket Hi-fi C4tagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productHiFiMAN HM-801tagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productHiFiMAN HM-901tagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productiBasso DX100 Reference DAPtagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productQLS-HIFI QA350 V2+ SD Card WAV High Fidelity Music Player Portable player Blacktagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productTeclast T51tagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
Related Forum Threads
- REVIEW: HiFi ET MA9 - a new reference level DAP Last post on 7/3/14 at 3:33pm in Portable Source Gear
- Next DAP needed, 801 dead. What next? 901. C4, AK100,X3/5/7, DX50/90/100 Last post on 3/31/14 at 11:51am in Portable Source Gear
- 24/96 Playback. Portability? Last post on 7/22/12 at 4:13pm in Portable Source Gear
- Ibasso DX100, Colorfly C4 or Hifiman HM 801 Last post on 10/20/13 at 12:45pm in Portable Source Gear
- Portable audiophile DAP with lots of avail disk space? Last post on 1/19/14 at 7:32pm in Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
Last edited: 7/6/14
HM-901 - Page 151
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Both WAV & AIFF are un-compressed lossless PCM files which means they are perfect copies of the original data (music) with no processing or compression. They are identical in content (bits) so they should sound identical provided the correct SW is used to play them.
I really wished that would be the case.
I am not surprised firmware updates are so slow to come as they are apparently launching two new daps while their flagship remains buggy and has basic features not working or missing.
The more I listen to it the more I like the sound and the more I hate using it.
The 5-6 minutes it takes to rescan the SD card every time you turn it on is also bothering me.
I timed battery life and I got 5h40mn with the balanced amp and minimal use of the screen. That was using IEM with volume between 2 and 2.5. It is actually pretty good considering the two Sabre DAC chips and the balanced board, but very poor in the grand scheme of things.
I have high hope for the new Sony, which will hopefully make it easier for me to ditch the HM-901.
Edited by zenpunk - 9/26/13 at 3:03am
Which one you are talking about ? Low battery life looks like a sore point.
Hmmm, you guys talking about Sony DAP's....you know the kind with NO external memory slots.
@zenpunk: That will surely eliminate your re-scan issues, but it will ad a whole new level of inconvenience loading music. I bet it takes a whole lot longer to than 5-6 minutes to load new music via USB.
If there is one company that can do it, that is Sony. They have the resources, some of the best engineers, and have already developed quite a few outstanding products. Considering the many advantages the ZX1 has over the HM-901 it will have just to sound very nearly as good to convince me.
128Gb storage is what I have now in the HM-901 so the ZX1 will do fine.
The 901 is a pleasure to listen to but not very enjoyable device to use, sadly.
Try the EX1000 (only if you don't mind its low price).
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for... 1 minute ago
- › 2014 bay area little big meet impressions 4 minutes ago
- › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers 5 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 5 minutes ago
- › Electronic Music Exchange (House, DnB, Dubstep, etc.) 5 minutes ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 7/9/2014:... 6 minutes ago
- › Dunu DN-1000 - Dunu's hybrid IEM - Impressions thread 6 minutes ago
- › Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7 9 minutes ago
- › FiiO X1, the new start of the high-res DAP with individual DAC and... 9 minutes ago
- › Bose QuietComfort 20i Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones by dbdchc
- › Rega RP3 by Nhubley
- › Woo Audio 2 by Nhubley
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by razor5cl
- › Aune M1 Hi-Fi Wav Player by wtnwin111
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by Armaegis
- › Fidue A83 Reference Class Triple Hybrid IEM by Brooko
- › Audio-gd NFB29 by kvtaco17
- › Grado RS1i Reference Series Headphones by Textfeud
- › Shure SRH 440 Professional Studio Headphones by donniefalcone
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)