- 317 Posts. Joined 9/2010
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productColorfly Pocket Hi-fi C4tagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productHiFiMAN HM-801tagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productHiFiMAN HM-901tagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productiBasso DX100 Reference DAPtagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productQLS-HIFI QA350 V2+ SD Card WAV High Fidelity Music Player Portable player Blacktagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productTeclast T51tagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
Related Forum Threads
- REVIEW: HiFi ET MA9 - a new reference level DAP Last post on 3/9/15 at 12:29pm in Portable Source Gear
- Next DAP needed, 801 dead. What next? 901. C4, AK100,X3/5/7, DX50/90/100 Last post on 3/31/14 at 11:51am in Portable Source Gear
- 24/96 Playback. Portability? Last post on 7/22/12 at 4:13pm in Portable Source Gear
- Ibasso DX100, Colorfly C4 or Hifiman HM 801 Last post on 10/20/13 at 12:45pm in Portable Source Gear
- Portable audiophile DAP with lots of avail disk space? Last post on 1/19/14 at 7:32pm in Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
Last edited: 1/22/15
I will leave the technical speak and unboxing play-by-play to the reviews that are already here, done by people who do a much better job than I can currently manage. Just know that the iDSD Micro...
Ok, I've had these for a while now and decided to leave some feedback on these. First thing, the sound from these IEM's (earphones) are nothing short of excellent with a few minor dislikes. At...
I purchased a Bakoon HPA-01 off Massdrop for around $1200 (it is normally around $1700 retail) due to the reputation of Bakoon Japan for making stunning amps. The HPA-01 is from Bakoon Korea,...
It would be impossible to replicate my first impressions of the Pioneer Superior Club Sound in-ear headphone series. As such, if you’d like my initial reaction, check out myPioneer SE-CX9 review....
Intro/Setup The on-ear open-back design is not a very popular segment. I suspect most overlook this category largely because of the lack of isolation compared to the many closed-back...
HM-901 - Page 151
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Both WAV & AIFF are un-compressed lossless PCM files which means they are perfect copies of the original data (music) with no processing or compression. They are identical in content (bits) so they should sound identical provided the correct SW is used to play them.
I really wished that would be the case.
I am not surprised firmware updates are so slow to come as they are apparently launching two new daps while their flagship remains buggy and has basic features not working or missing.
The more I listen to it the more I like the sound and the more I hate using it.
The 5-6 minutes it takes to rescan the SD card every time you turn it on is also bothering me.
I timed battery life and I got 5h40mn with the balanced amp and minimal use of the screen. That was using IEM with volume between 2 and 2.5. It is actually pretty good considering the two Sabre DAC chips and the balanced board, but very poor in the grand scheme of things.
I have high hope for the new Sony, which will hopefully make it easier for me to ditch the HM-901.
Edited by zenpunk - 9/26/13 at 3:03am
Which one you are talking about ? Low battery life looks like a sore point.
Hmmm, you guys talking about Sony DAP's....you know the kind with NO external memory slots.
@zenpunk: That will surely eliminate your re-scan issues, but it will ad a whole new level of inconvenience loading music. I bet it takes a whole lot longer to than 5-6 minutes to load new music via USB.
If there is one company that can do it, that is Sony. They have the resources, some of the best engineers, and have already developed quite a few outstanding products. Considering the many advantages the ZX1 has over the HM-901 it will have just to sound very nearly as good to convince me.
128Gb storage is what I have now in the HM-901 so the ZX1 will do fine.
The 901 is a pleasure to listen to but not very enjoyable device to use, sadly.
Try the EX1000 (only if you don't mind its low price).
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Sony MDR-7506 12 seconds ago
- › Celsus Sound Companion One, 32/384 USB, iOS/Android, 24/192 Wi-Fi... 1 minute ago
- › Win BoomPro to Transform you ordinary headphone into a pro... 5 minutes ago
- › Denon AH-D510 5 minutes ago
- › Has anybody tried the E17K Alpen 2 with hd800s? Could you... 5 minutes ago
- › La Figaro 339 5 minutes ago
- › Go Dap- X ( Venturecraft ) - dac/amp 6 minutes ago
- › If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you... 6 minutes ago
- › Unique Melody Remold Impressions Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics! 9 minutes ago
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by knorris908
- › Shure SE425 Earphone by interpolate
- › Bakoon HPA-01 by Currawong
- › Pioneer SE-CX8-T Headphone, Bright Copper by Luckbad
- › Sennheiser HD 239 Headphones Black by rigodeni
- › Audio-Technica ATH-R70x | R Series Professional Open Back Dynamic... by twister6
- › Signature Acoustics O16 Live by kova4a
- › Sennheiser HD 428 Headphones by rensin
- › JVC HAF14B - Gumy Earbud Headphones by LuigiSound
- › Grado SR80i Headphones by Pirakaphile
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2